HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Caregivers Corner
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Caregivers Corner Dedicated to those who support their loved ones.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
cjjhero

Negative doctor

My sister has stage 2 HER2+estrogen/progesterone negative breast cancer. The tumor was about the size of a walnut when first diagnosed and discovered. There is no lymph node involvement.

Her treatment plan by her main oncologist was TCH 6 rounds, herceptin for 1 year every 3 weeks and a double mastectomy and 1 lymph node removed. No further treatment. Her mri/CT scan was negative.

Her presurgery breast doctor appointment revealed that the tumor was completely gone. Her oncologist then did a clinical breast exam revealed no presence of a tumor. She had a very bad fungal infection on her one breast and surgery had to be delayed until it was cleared completely. The rash didn't heal up until late December. The oncologist gave the go ahead for surgery but wants an heart echo and one last herceptin treatment prior to surgery which delays it until February sometime.

I called the nurse scheduler for the breast surgeon and she was very negative. Every time I speak to the nurse she says that we should have done this and that belittles me. (My sister is mentally handicapped and I schedule her appointments for her). I have medical training and was a nurse aide for over 15 years. I am going by the oncologist's recommendations. He didn't allow her to have the surgery until her rash was healed. He's a very positive and says my sister's prognosis is excellent. How do you deal with a negative medical personnel and doctor?
cjjhero is offline   Reply With Quote