HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
KathyT

Hysterectomy for triple positive bc

Hi! I am curious as to how many of you triple positive ladies had a prophylactic hysterectomy. I have read that it is beneficial in young women. I am only 39 and want to do everything possible to reduce my risk of recurrence. I am seriously considering it. Thanks in advance for your input!

January 17th 2014-mammo, ultrasound, biopsy
January 20th 2014- diagnosed, ER/PR+, Her2+++, Stage 2A
January 21st 2014-MRI, right breast only plus lymph nodes
January 23rd 2014- Pet scan-2 cm tumor, 3 lymph nodes
February 4th 2014-port insertion
February 12th 2014-first chemo treatment(TCHP x6 cycles)
May 28th 2014-LAST chemo treatment!!
July 10th 2014-double mastectomy
July 29th 2014-start radiation(30)
Sept. 11th 2014last radiation treatment!!!
November 12 2014-started Tamoxifen
January 20 2015-reconstruction begins, lat flap
February 4 2015-last Herceptin treatment!!
April 24, 2015- pet scan-NED!!
June 3 2015- exchange surgery, port removed!!
September 8 2015-hysterectomy/oophorectomy
September 15 2015-Revision of lat flap reconstruction
December 23 2015-nipple reconstruction
May 9th 2016-Mets to pituitary gland, liver and C7 vertebrae
May 10th-port put back in:(
May 17th- biopsy of mass on back
May 19th-started Herceptin/Perjeta
May 20th-5 treatments Cyberknife to pituitary gland tumor
June 9th-Started THP (will have 6 cycles)
August 17th-MRI of brain, significant reduction in tumor
😃, repeat MRI in 3 months. Received first Zometa
infusion.
June 24th 2019- Thoracic spine Mets, leptomeningeal Mets , 10 radiation treatments
Aug 1st- Ommaya Reservoir implanted
KathyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 06:41 PM   #2
sassy

Re: Hysterectomy for triple positive bc

Hey Kathy,

I didn't have a hysterectomy, but did have my ovaries removed. You may want to consider that route. It is much less invasive, and every bit as effective for the purpose of hormonal cessation.

Several others have followed this same route and hopefully the will chime in.

Best of luck,
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:11 PM   #3
Becky

I had my ovaries and tubes removed. No need for the uterus to be removed to stop the estrogen.

It is asuper easy operation and recovery.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
JessicaV

Hi Kathy,
If you are wanting to reduce your chances of recurrence of your cancer, and have estrogen-receptor-positive cancer, as you know you need to try to keep estrogens in the body down , because the richer it is in Estrogen, the faster and further your cancer is likely to grow/spread.

Estrogens, and the hormones that become estrogens in the body, are made in the ovaries, in the adrenal glands, and in fatty tissue. So if you are overweight, even if you remove your ovaries you will have quite a good source in the fat in your body unless you exercise and diet it away.

As Sassy says, removing your uterus will not reduce your risk, except incidentally because your ovaries are often removed at the same time.

The other part of the equation is cancer stem-cells. These are found inside tumors, and are shed by tumors, and float around in lymph fluid or blood, and can switch back and forth between the ancient primitive cell-form of breast cancer cells (Mesenchymal), and their natural cell form (Epithelial). If they are not dividing they will not be killed by chemo. They are able to find suitable spots in distant tissue like bone, lungs and liver and brain, and start growing into a new metastatic tumor.

As yet there is not much treatment that effectively hits these cells except if/when they are dividing. Immunotherapies are exploring some possible treatments using this approach. So that risk ie of cancer stem cells causing metastases, is one we currently have to live with, although there is some evidence that some foods including brassica and red cabbage, green tea, tumeric, and soy, and maybe others, do hit several of the pathways by which cancer cells change and grow. Eating these foods is recommended. It is not clear if concentrates of the active ingredients are effective and or/safe, but if you want to take concentrates, check with your oncologist first.
I understand that if your tumor is has receptors to both HER2+ and Estrogen, if there is estrogen around it helps it grow and spread a lot faster. Estrogen is what Tamoxifen and Aromase Inhibitors etc help to block in different ways. Reducing body fat, reducing alcohol intake, exercising more, keeping dietary fat reasonably low, are all meant to help reduce estrogen and prevent relapse.
best wishes
Jessica
7 Jan 2014 Radiology: Radiologist turned screen away from me. When asked she said "Not a cyst, very suspicious.See your GP asa results avail."
Cancelled my psych clients for the week.
8 Jan 14 GP: 2.2cm IDC in 6cm DCIS field. FNA=malignant cells. Referred to Surgeon.
Cancelled my psych clients for the month.
13 Jan
14 Surgeon said L mastectomy not lumpectomy, offered neoadjunctive trial, agreed adjunctive chemo after surgery a good choice for me. Booked Body scan and bone scan for staging (both fine) Surgery for16 Jan,
16 Jan 14 Surgeon also agreed in preop meeting to also remove 6cm fatty cyst in job lot. Good job done.
19 Jan 14 discharged home with 1 drain.
22 Jan 14 drain partly pulled out overnight, serious seroma (600 ml reducing removed every 2 days for a month) Serious staph infection because nurse said wait 3 days for yr surgeon appointment.
26Jan 14 pathology: 2.2cm Grade 3(3,3,2)ER-, PgR-, HER2+2 so to be confirmed by Sish test. Node negative. No vascular or lymphatic involvement. No metastases in scans.
30 Jan 14 HER2+ high amplification, 13 gene copies per cell.
21st Feb 14 Began 3wkly TCH adjuvant treatment at The Mount Hospital Perth, with 3monthly MUGA heart tests +Oncologist or Surgeon full physical check-up.
Cancelled my psych clients for 6 months.
Feb 14 First MUGA test: 71%,
First C15.3 test: 20
7th March 14 began Neulasta self-applied injections 24hrs after each TCH treatment. Bonepain helped by spa, heatpacks and
Claritin, reflux/indigestion helped by Somac.
July 14 completed docetaxol and carboplatin, ongoing herceptin to 12 months. Severe cognitive deficit/fatigue after 1pm daily.
Sept 14 Second MUGA test: 69%
Cancelled my psych clients for 2014
Dec 14 Third MUGA test: 70%
Second C15.3 test : 20
Cognitive fatigue delays return to work.

March 2015 Tachycardia pulse 168, night in hospital. Cardiologist says no heart disease, ALIVE ECG attachment for my mobile phone now regular monitoring.
July 2015 Worktrial, up to 8hrs per wk. Fatigue ongoing
Aug 2015 Heart good, no evidence of cancer, just Fatigue.
May 2019 Melanoma 1.5cm Stage 1 by right collarbone(was present as large freckle in 2014 and cut through by breast surgeon to remove fatty cyst at same time as mastectomy.) Melanoma removed leaving scar from shoulder to breastbone. In hospital twice for IV antibiotics. Told catagorically this could not be BC mets.
Dec 2019 Still NED, still fatigue in late afternoon, but have my brain back in the early mornings. So most days I watch the sunrise and hear the birds morning chorus in my bush backyard and am glad to be alive and to be me still.

JessicaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:27 AM   #5
LeahM

Hi Kathy
A week ago today I had my uterus, fallopian tubes and cevix removed. Ovaries remained even tho my ER+ was 5%. It was a hard decision to make and very personal but I will share.

I was told back in the beginning that my ER+ status was so low that (maybe) 10 years ago it would have been considered negative, that I wouldn't even be on tamoxifen. Times have changed so now I am considered positive.

After a years worth of conversations between me and my onc, me and my gyn and my gyn and onc it was decided to keep my ovaries but get rid of the rest. And here is why:

Recent stud.ies show that removing your ovaries at a young age (I amm now 42) could increase your risk of heart disease, and death from heart disease by 40%. Heart disease is the #1 killer of women. Removing my ovaries would not stop my body from producing estrogen and I would remain on Tamox or switch to an AI.

Further studies are showing that ovarian cancer actually begins in your fallopian tubes. My gyn now recommends to women who want their tubes tied to have them removed instead.

My uterus had to go (in my mind) as I have a family history of uterine cancer and while slim there is a chance that tamox can increase your risk of uterine cancer.

And yes, all these studies were shared with me by my gyn.

So I keep my ovaries and will someday naturally enter menopause. Meanwhile I will no longer get my period which is a huge relief as they have been crazy and horrible since they came back after chemo. Which was another reason why I wanted to have this surgery, to stop my periods.

All that being said let me say this too. I know in my heart if my ER% had been higher I would have had my ovaries removed too. I hope I don't ever regret my choice to keep them.

Plus, fear. Fear had a lot to do with this decision. My fear of uterine cancer far outweighed my fear that my ER status would cause a cancer metastasis. The women in my family that had breast cancer were all "cured" for the remainder of their lives but then had a separate cancer in their uterus.

I wonder if there is some genetic BRCA that causes this that we haven't found yet?

Best
Leah
May 10, 2012: BRCA 1,2 Negative
May 23, 2012: MUGA Scan EF 70%
May 31, 2012: B/L Mastectomy. 2/2 nodes removed and CLEAR!! Power Port placed. 2 Drains. 2 Expanders placed
June 5, 2012: Drains OUT! Ahhhh..
June 12, 2012: Final Pathology Report, .8x.3cm tumor. Micromets to 1 node .35mm under cytokeratin staining. Stage 2A. Onc says "you are lucky to have found this early"
July 10, 2012: Started 6 rounds of TCH with weekly H
Sept 5, 2012: MUGA 65%
Sept 20, 2012: CAT scan of brain clear!
Oct 23, 2012: LAST TC! AMEN! Continue Herceptin every three weeks until July 2013.
Nov 19, 2012: Port out!
Dec 5, 2012: Started radiation
Dec. 10, 2012: MUGA 65%
Dec. 13, 2012: Turned 40. BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!
Jan 23, 2013: Last radiation. Told I am NED. Continue Herceptin every three weeks till July 2013.
Jan 29, 2013: Begin 5 years of Tamoxifen.
Feb 28, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. 5mm and 4mm nodules of unknown origin. Rescan in 3 months.
Mar 6, 2013: EF 60%
May 8, 2013: Exanders out, implants implanted...abd. lipo and fat moved up. Girls are looking good!
June 3, 2013: CT Scan with Contrast of lungs. Previous nodules gone. New nodules (2mm and 3mm) found. Rescan in 3 months. So sorry I opened this can of worms...
June 11, 2013: EF 60%
June 25, 2013: Last Herceptin. wow...
Aug 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Xray to sore left ribs shows no disease or fractures.
Sept 9, 2013: CT of lungs shows no disease. Closing this can of worms and moving on.
Nov 20, 2013: Tumor markers within normal limits. Severe Vit D deficiency, started on prescription Vit. D. Blaming chemo for this.
Feb 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits. Graduated to twice yearly onc appts.
Oct 2014: Tumor markers within normal limits.
May 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Bone density scan fine. Bone scan and xray of ribs shows "something" 4th right rib. Could be healed fracture but if it is healed why does it hurt?
Nov 2015: Tumor markers WNL. Follow up bone scan clear.
Feb 2016: Syncope! WTF? Dizzy too. Brain scan clear, ECHO EF 60%, Halter Monitor shows heart is fine. Viral? I will never know.
June 2016: Tumor markers WNL.
Oct 2016: Stabbing pain right eye. Long story short, trigeminal neuralgia.
Nov 2016 Brain MRI clear.
Jan 2017: Tumor markers WNL, still getting weird pain right rib area, and sometimes right upper chest. Xray x2, Bone Scan, Breast MRI all clear. Scar tissue? Rads. I may never know.
www.onmywaytosurvivorhood.blogspot.com
www.thechemobag.com
www.facebook.com/thechemobag
LeahM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #6
KathyT

Wow ladies thanks you so much for all of your feedback, I truly appreciate it. You are all so knowledgable!! In terms of hysterectomy versus oopherectomy, I do have fibroids and my uterus does sit posterior so I do get back pain from it. Plus my periods are so bad, I basically hemorrhage for 2 days. I know it's a bigger surgery but to not have periods again would be wonderful! I see my gynecologist in May and will discuss with her what she thinks would be the best thing to do. I basically have no risk factors for breast cancer, except my diet was not the best(high in sugar and did not eat my fruits and veggies as much as I should), my BMI is 20, I had my kids younger, breastfed all of them, don't smoke, no Cancer at all in my family, I exercise. I have since changed my diet, buy organic and increased fruit and veggie intake, decrease red meat intake, also take vitamins, Baby Aspirin, had my Vitamin D level drawn and was low so now take Vitamin D too. Changed my deodorant as soon as I was diagnosed. I did drink alcohol on a regular basis so now I do not drink during the week at all and if I feel like a glass of wine or two on the weekend I have it. Anyway, thank you so much for your feedback!
Best wishes....

infusion.
June 24th 2019- Thoracic spine Mets, leptomeningeal Mets , 10 radiation treatments
Old 01-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #7
JessicaV

Hi, having a hysterectomy because in addition to breast cancer you are having problems with periods and uterus all makes perfect sense. Sorry if I came across a bit patronising. One thing you may also want to look at is that acupuncture by a properly trained practitioner can work wonders on female hormones. I used to go to a local GP in NZ who spent 5yrs in China learning acupuncture, and then came back to teach physios etc. She got her old gynae friends to send her potential hysterectomy patients who had heavy bleeding but would prefer to avoid hysterectomy. She cured their heavy bleeding so no op was needed. The gynaecologists stopped sending these patients to her as they were doing themselves out of a lot of money. She got my period flowing well after a very sluggish start on one visit.
7 Jan 2014 Radiology: Radiologist turned screen away from me. When asked she said "Not a cyst, very suspicious.See your GP asa results avail."
Cancelled my psych clients for the week.
8 Jan 14 GP: 2.2cm IDC in 6cm DCIS field. FNA=malignant cells. Referred to Surgeon.
Cancelled my psych clients for the month.
13 Jan
14 Surgeon said L mastectomy not lumpectomy, offered neoadjunctive trial, agreed adjunctive chemo after surgery a good choice for me. Booked Body scan and bone scan for staging (both fine) Surgery for16 Jan,
16 Jan 14 Surgeon also agreed in preop meeting to also remove 6cm fatty cyst in job lot. Good job done.
19 Jan 14 discharged home with 1 drain.
22 Jan 14 drain partly pulled out overnight, serious seroma (600 ml reducing removed every 2 days for a month) Serious staph infection because nurse said wait 3 days for yr surgeon appointment.
26Jan 14 pathology: 2.2cm Grade 3(3,3,2)ER-, PgR-, HER2+2 so to be confirmed by Sish test. Node negative. No vascular or lymphatic involvement. No metastases in scans.
30 Jan 14 HER2+ high amplification, 13 gene copies per cell.
21st Feb 14 Began 3wkly TCH adjuvant treatment at The Mount Hospital Perth, with 3monthly MUGA heart tests +Oncologist or Surgeon full physical check-up.
Cancelled my psych clients for 6 months.
Feb 14 First MUGA test: 71%,
First C15.3 test: 20
7th March 14 began Neulasta self-applied injections 24hrs after each TCH treatment. Bonepain helped by spa, heatpacks and
Claritin, reflux/indigestion helped by Somac.
July 14 completed docetaxol and carboplatin, ongoing herceptin to 12 months. Severe cognitive deficit/fatigue after 1pm daily.
Sept 14 Second MUGA test: 69%
Cancelled my psych clients for 2014
Dec 14 Third MUGA test: 70%
Second C15.3 test : 20
Cognitive fatigue delays return to work.

March 2015 Tachycardia pulse 168, night in hospital. Cardiologist says no heart disease, ALIVE ECG attachment for my mobile phone now regular monitoring.
July 2015 Worktrial, up to 8hrs per wk. Fatigue ongoing
Aug 2015 Heart good, no evidence of cancer, just Fatigue.
May 2019 Melanoma 1.5cm Stage 1 by right collarbone(was present as large freckle in 2014 and cut through by breast surgeon to remove fatty cyst at same time as mastectomy.) Melanoma removed leaving scar from shoulder to breastbone. In hospital twice for IV antibiotics. Told catagorically this could not be BC mets.
Dec 2019 Still NED, still fatigue in late afternoon, but have my brain back in the early mornings. So most days I watch the sunrise and hear the birds morning chorus in my bush backyard and am glad to be alive and to be me still.

JessicaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #8
KathyT

Jessica
I did not find you patronizing at all!! I appreciate all that you shared! I have never done acupuncture but maybe I will look in to it��
Thanks
Kathy

infusion.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:00 PM   #9
tricia keegan

I was highly triple pos so had my ovaries removed in '06 as a preventative measure and to take Arimidex and have no regrets.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:41 PM   #10
europa

I am starting the process to get a hysterectomy too. My uterus is constantly thick because of tamoxifen and I now can no longer wear some of my jeans because it's so swollen. So it's coming out, along with the Fallopian tubes. I too am keeping my ovaries because I'm nervous about heart disease. But I will be chemically shutting them down to see if I do okay. I will be seeing a cardiologist to monitor my heart, if there's an issue, I would stop the injections. If there is no problem, at 45 I will have them permanently removed and will switch to arimidex.
Stage 2B +++ ER+(10%), PR+(5%), HER2+++(1 positive node, 1 micromets to second node)
AC started 12/2011 ended 1/2012
Taxol + Herceptin weekly for 12 weeks ended 4/2012
30 zaps of radiation done 6/2012
Tamoxifen 6/2012
every 3 weeks of Herceptin for another year.
Metformin Trial 8/12
10/12 MRI- CLEAR
01/13 BRAIN MRI- CLEAR!
01/13 Neck MRI- CLEAR!
FINISHED HERCEPTIN 1/9/2013...Woot Woot
Starting Walter Reed Vaccine Trial 2/13
CT Scans + ultrasound of abdomen CLEAR-5/13
02/2015 through 11/2015 emergency D&Cs for Tamoxifen induced uterine polyps which caused uncontrollable hemorrhaging
12/2015 blood clot to left leg caused by Tamoxifen. No longer taking it. On Xarelto, a blood thinner
12/2015 Ablation to prevent hemorrhaging from potential issues with Tamoxifen residue in my system
1/2016 continuing journey without hormonal therapy. Reevaluating the option of a hysterectomy and oopherectomy.
4/1/2018 2mm stroke. Yes, stroke! No cause ever found but they believe it was a migraine that went bonkers and created a tiny clot. No deficits. I was back to normal with 24hrs. Now on baby aspirin for life.
7/27/2018 hysterectomy and oopherectomy
01/07/2019 Mastectomy and expanders put in
3/22/2019 Vtach, almost died. Cause unknown.
7/22/2019 New perky boobs put in
7/21/2020 Off of all drugs but a baby aspirin because of the stroke in 2018.

www.mychemobag.org
www.facebook.com/mychemobag

8 YEARS NED
europa is offline   Reply With Quote