HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2008, 12:28 AM   #1
harrie

Handling the thought process and stress

This is something I have been thinking about these past few days. So many of us do everything we can possibly think of for our bodies in regards to staying healthy and preventing recurrances. We go with the aggressive treatments, we take supplements, exercise, medications, ck our markers, do our lab tests, MRI, PET scans...whatever it takes to prevent and catch things early. But how important do you think it is to try to keep our minds healthy? How well we thought process all the concerns, worries, and stress in our lives is also critically important.
There are physiological reactions to stress within our bodies. I believe it can have a significant impact in our ability (or inability) to handle treatments as well as the disease itself. Stress also can compromise the immune system.
Therefore, what I am blabbing on and on about is the importance of being aware of all the thoughts that are constantly being filtered through your mind so that it does not cause uncontrolled chronic stress in your life. When tension is felt, being aware of where it is in order for it to be controlled.
The thought process is a powerful force and is the key to a good and peaceful life regardless of challenges that are met.

1993: right side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads
1999: left side DCIS, lumpectomy, rads, tamoxifen

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
Stage I, invasive DCIS (6mm x 5mm)
Grade: intermediate
sentinal node biopsy: neg
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
Bilat mastectomy with DIEP flap reconstruction
oophorectomy

2007:
6 cycles TCH (taxotere, carboplatin, herceptin)
finished 1 yr herceptin 05/07
Arimidex, stopped after almost 1 yr
Femara
harrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #2
tricia keegan

I think you make a good point Maryanne and confess this is something I've been thinking about lately.
I know there's no scientific proof stress can cause bc but I was under a lot of stress right before dx, I find myself lately under stress for reasons other than bc and am concerned it all may be having a negative effect healthwise.
I 've read Andi's thoughts on positive thinking and disregarding the negative but, it's easier said than done.(For me anyway).
I'll be interested to read the other response's to your thread.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
chrisy

I think there is abundant evidence that stress can lead to chemical imbalances which deplete the immune system. So although I don't believe stress CAUSES cancer, it may be one factor that contributes to it slipping past our immune systems.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
BonnieR

Tricia, I know what you mean. I was under great stress for the year prior to my diagnosis. I remember thinking "if stress causes cancer, no wonder I got it". I know that is not valid, just my gut reaction. But I'm sure the pressure did not help any.
In terms of dealing with stress now, I have just found a hypnotherapist who makes custom, individualized visualization CDs. I am having one done. The concept sounded very interesting to me. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
Jean

Harrie,
Years and years ago when I was just 18 I remember a wonderful older doctor telling me "that the mind heals the body" I gave that statment much thought. At first as a young sensitive girl I thought - what is he speaking about, this hurts or that is hurting...etc. it took maturity and understanding the mind and body connection.

Our bodies and how they function are a wonder. The chemicals our bodies manufacture and require still hold the medical profession in awe.

Then the question of mental health and coping with the daily stress of life. Indeed an interesting topic. I believe
that like anything else a good balance of a varied source,
food, exercise, rest and one biggie, "attitude" is a winning combination. I doubt anyone gets out of bed each day to be a loser....just consider the professional athlete, they live to win! Our minds are extremely powerful. I believe that a person's state of mind is
critical - especially when faced with challenges. It is a given that depression effects the immune system.
Just consider the person who is under the covers
for days, not eating properly, getting fresh air and sunshine..no exercise...etc.

I also think taking a mental health day now and then is a great way to avoid depression, just doing what ever one pleases to do...and that can be nothing at all! Just escaping into what ever is your own pleasure. A gift to one self. It does help ward off negative thoughts. Oh, and by the way a good sense of humor
helps a person go a long way!

Good thread Harrie,
Hugs to you.
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006

Last edited by Jean; 07-26-2008 at 11:37 PM..
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 11:34 AM   #6
Andrea Barnett Budin

Location: LAND OF YES! w/home in Boca Raton, Florida Orig from L.I., N.Y. Ever hovering IN THE NOW...
Exclamation Taking Charge Of Your Destiny

Hi lovely ladies. My Sisters. I of course felt compelled to jump in here. You know me. This topic can't be speed read.

Thanks Tricia for the mention. For clarity, what I have learned (the hard way, through psychic hell and physical suffering) is that we mustn't *disregard* our negative thoughts. But realize that they emanate from THE VOICE IN OUR HEADS, which we believe is WHO WE ARE. I have discovered that in fact the True Me is a radiant Spirit, with a mind and a body.

The Voice In My Head, what I like to call The Thinker, is basically Our Tormentor. It judges, condemns, criticizes, resents, blames, regrets and stirs up all the obvious coinciding emotions that go along with such thoughts.

The great news is that -- we have the power to connect with our Higher Selves (our Spirit, or Essence, or Truest Selves) and allow it to override those thoughts full of fear, anger, hate, bitterness and recriminations. We have the power to author alternative dialogues that bring us strength, courage, grace and determination.

Personally, I believe in the mindbody connection. I KNOW that the body hears everything our mind thinks, says and whispers. It can weed those self-defeating thoughts out from all the clutter and din of our thoughts -- and it does as instructed. So, I am very careful what I spend my day pondering and dwelling on. I have a Knowing that is full of BELIEF. What we think will determine how we will feel and how we will fare.

If stressful thoughts predominant our day, we are in danger of compromising our immune system. Which lays us open to have some bodily malfunction (whatever our genetically weakest body part may be). Jean's wise doc Knew the mind could heal the body. But, understanding that it can also make us sick is key.

The True Me is -- the awareness of the thoughts in my head. It is The Knower. Beyond the chaos of thoughts, behind the thoughts spoken by *The Voice In My Head* which is full of negativity to the nth degree. The Knower wants what I want. My Spirit guides and protects me, nurtures and inspires me.

It has taught me to follow my passion. Whatever brings me joy and a kind of full immersion of myself, allows me to escape the taunting, torturing thoughts and instead to become fully PRESENT in the moment (as many sage scholars have professed for centuries). That is where happiness lies. That changes everything. YOU are, or can be, the master of your fate. The captain of your Soul.

Thanks, Maryanne, for this opportunity for all of us to grow a bit and share. I am watching you blossom and it is a joy. Thinking of you, and all often and always with love,

Andi
'95 post-meno dx Invasive LOBULAR w/9cm tumor! YIKES + 2/21 nodes. Clear mammo 10 mnths earlier. Mastec/tram flap reconst/PORT/8 mnths chemo (4Adria/8CMF). Borderline ER/PR. Tamoxifen 2 yrs. Felt BLESSED. I could walk and talk, feed and bathe myself! I KNEW I would survive...

'98 -- multiple mets to liver. HER2+ 80%. ER/PR- Raging, highly aggressive tumors spreading fast. New PORT. 9 mnths Taxotere Fought fire w/fire! Pronounced in cautious remission 5/99. Taxotere weekly for 6 wks, 2 wks off -- for 9 mnths. TALK ABOUT GRUELING! (I believe they've altered that protocol since those days -- sure hope so!!)
+ good old Vit H wkly for 1st 3 yrs, then triple dosage ev 3 wks for 7 yrs more... The "easy" chemo, right?! Not a walk in the park, but not a freight train coming at 'ya either...

Added Herceptin Nov '98 (6 wks after FDA fast-tracked it for met bc). Stayed w/Vit H till July '08! Now I AM FREE! Humbly and eternally grateful for this life-saving drug! NED since '99 and planning on keeping it that way. To hell w/poor prognosis and nasty stats! STOPPED VIT H JULY '08...! REMAIN STABLE... Eternally grateful...Yes is a world & in this world of yes live (skillfully curled) all worlds ... (e e cummings) EVERY DAY I BEAT MY PREVIOUS RECORD FOR # OF CONSECUTIVE DAYS I'VE STAYED ALIVE. Smile KNOWING you too can be a miracle. Up to me and God now...
Andrea Barnett Budin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #7
MJo

I think stress makes us more physically vulnerable. For me, lack of sleep brings stress into my life, and I've had trouble sleeping since treatment. A sleep mask has helped me, as well as foam earplugs. Not very sexy, but I'm single. I think Andrea is right about following your passion. Feeling that you can't follow your dream due to money worries, lack of health insurance, family obligations, is stressful and depressing. Have to find the middle way. I have made some progress, but still have a way to go.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:37 AM   #8
PinkGirl

Talking

Thanks for starting this thread Harrie. I enjoy a good "spiritual" discussion. I'm not sure where I stand on this but I have always found spiritualism to be a very interesting subject.

The thought process is definitely a very powerful force. I call the
voice in my head "the meanie". Regardless of what I believe
about stress, the immune system, cancer and other diseases, I
absolutely have a nicer, more pleasant and peaceful day when the
"meanie voice" disappears. I don't know what's happening with my
immune system, but I am happy.

When I have these peaceful days, I just enjoy them.... I don't try to figure them out. It's when I have the not so peaceful kind of days that I try to understand why ... and the meanie voice is always involved. It is usually putting some kind of "twist" on a situation; judging, being negative and creating fear. And this twist has to come from the past because everything that is inside my head is an accumulation of my entire life experiences.

I do a lot of newspaper crossword puzzles. There is often the clue
"like Switzerland". The word they want is "neutral". When I am dealing
with the meanie voice, I tell myself to be like Switzerland

I am starting to ramble. I do my best. It takes practice and patience with
myself.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #9
dhealey

I know stress plays an important factor in disease, particularly cancer of any kind. I had tremendous stress several months before my diagnosis. During treatment I let it all go and concentrated on just getting through the treatments. Now I have my life back and guess what? I have all that stress back again. Makes me feel like the cancer is just lurking there getting ready to strike again. Most of my stress now is work related. The family stress I have learned to put aside. But the work stress I can't, it is my livilihood and I am not willing to put my house in jeporduy by quiting work. It takes both my husband and my income to pay the bills. If I followed my passion I would be in the poor house. So know I am trying to focus on my off the job time with only things I love doing and hope this creates some kind of balance.
4 rounds A/C, 4 rounds Taxol
Herceptin every 3 weeks until Jan. 2008
6/18/07 prophylatic mastectomy R breast
8/2007 started aromasin/stopped arimidex (side effects)
12/07 stopped aromasin due to side effects (now what?)
Finished herceptin 1/8/08
started tamoxifen for 2 years then will switch to femera
allergic to tamoxifen started femera 4/2008
June 20, 2008 portacath removed
Learnig to live life to the fullest!
Stopped Femera due to side effects
July 28, 2008 start trial for breast cancer vaccine
dhealey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #10
tricia keegan

Maryanne I thank you too for starting this thread as I believe it's something we can all identify with in the struggle to lead normal lives but knowing we've had a cancer dx it's difficult.
Andi, I love reading your posts and find them inspirational. I have difficulty in adapting this to my own life though as since bc I've had various financial problems which have escalated recently. These are very severe negative thoughts and in general I'm a positive person. No matter what my problems I enjoy life and swim,walk on the beach at sunrise etc but...It's SO hard not to allow the worry of the repucussions of this take over you know? How do /or did you get over that??
I'm sure there must be other's in my situation who would wonder this too and long to find an answer.
Thank you for the idea's and thoughts you share.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:05 PM   #11
juanita

I am in big trouble because I don't handle stress very well, and I've had a lot of it lately with my family.
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #12
fauxgypsy

When I went and read through Natalie Rae's (I hope I spelled her name right) Boob blog, one quote hit me and made me decide to not rush into anything right now.

It was that healing happens in the slow lane. There was another one as well that has a lot of truth in it:

Hmmm. . . Came across this little bit by Eckhart Tolle in his look at our consumerism and attachment to things. I’m now trying to clue in these misguided cells and see if we can have a little “a-ha” moment and reverse the ‘destruction’ of this organism. Nothing like paying attention!!

The unchecked striving for more, for endless growth, is a dysfunction and a disease. It is the same dysfunction the cancerous cell manifests, whose only goal is to multiply itself, unaware that it is bringing about its own destruction by destroying the organism of which it is a part.

I tend to be a "full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes" kind of girl and reading her blog made me decide to take time to to heal even though I have this insane urge to rush out and take on the world now that my treatment is over. I thought about some decisions that I was making and decided to wait before I made them.

Stress may not have had any effect on my originally getting cancer but I believe that it can affect my health in negative way. I am trying to find a way to reduce the stress in my life. Or at least modify how I react to stressful situations.

If you haven't read her blog you should.

fauxgypsy
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!

Last edited by fauxgypsy; 07-28-2008 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: my typing tends to get ahead of my words
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #13
Mary Jo

Hi Maryanne,

Love your thread. I love "discussions." And you know what...I typed a real good one and where did it go????? I think I clicked on "preview post" and never hit submit reply....so I'll type a shorter version of what I typed yesterday. LOL! I'm ready for bed now and the "talking" part of my brain is getting tired......ya right? Like that ever happens to me

I guess I just wanted to say that the stress we all carry is very real - whether we've had cancer - have cancer or never had it. Stress is a part of life and there really is no getting away from it. Now, how we handle that stress is a different story.

I, too, don't believe "stress" causes cancer per se but we all know that our immune systems are affected by stress and a million other things. Nutritionally it's important how we feed these bodies of ours..........physically it's important how we exercise these bodies of ours....and mentally it's important how we handle that which comes our way that is negative. Like Tricia said, "easier said than done"

For me personally, praying and asking God to take that which I really have no control over anyway away helps me. It helps me to know that all of us are on a journey and one day that journey here on earth will end. Whether we have cancer ... had cancer...... doesn't really matter. One day this earthly journey will end. Thinking on that helps me, believe it or not. It tells me that this earthly journey is not eternal but I will spend eternity somewhere so I put my energies into that. I walk often - listen to music - pray - and all these things calm me. I eat well and do all I can to take care of myself. I do that because it's just good for me overall. Possibly for some cancer prevention but also for my heart, blood pressure and a host of other things. Mentally, I feel better and stronger when I take good care of myself physically.

So there's my take on stress and how I deal with it. It's nice to hear how we all handle stress and how it affects us because it DOES affect us all. We can learn from each other here....and THAT is a good thing.

Love you guys....

Mary Jo

P.S. Did I say this was a shortened version?? Haha! Guess my brain woke up.
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #14
harrie

Peace is born out of
equanimity and balance.
Balance is flexibility,
an ability to adjust graciously to change.
Equanimity arises when we
accept the way things are.

~If you expect your life to be up and down,
your mind will be much more peaceful.

Lama Yeshe

Thank you all for addressing my thread with your various viewpoints and sharing how you personally deal with the thought processes. Pink Girl, I like how you actually identify your ego with its own name. I am going to use that strategy. I am going to call mine, "LOLO".
Marejo, my mother used her religion to give her strength and stability during the course of her lifetime. I know it worked very well for her too.

Muchas alohas everyone...
HarrieCanarie

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
oophorectomy

2007:
Femara

Last edited by harrie; 07-29-2008 at 12:12 AM..
Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #15
dlaxague

wonderful diversity

This is a great thread because it reminds us that there is no one right way to do this. What is important is not which particular tool or approach we use, but that we are open to exploring what works for us, individually. Anyone reading this thread should be able to find a morsel that resonates and inspires them to dig deeper.

One thing that I'm looking more closely at right now is how to understand that healthy ways of coping with life (I prefer to call it "life" rather than "stress") does not mean dulling or leveling hard/easy or sad/happy into a smooth and always-contented journey. It does not work in the longterm to try to cover fears and anger with large doses of positive thinking or forced cheer. These harder emotions need attention and imho, respect.

Yet we don't want to get stuck in the anger or fear, either. I wonder if this area of integrating and balancing can get lost in the stampede to "live in the moment". I'm reading Steven Levine's "Unattended Sorrow", which is his interesting exploration of this.

I do believe that ultimately, as others have said, the key is to release attachments, trust God - whatever words you use to express that ability to seize a moment without dragging baggage from the past nor clouding it with expectations or fears for the future. But especially for those with difficult past issues (abuse, trauma, loss - maybe it's all of us), it is becoming more clear to me that we can't just pave over the troubles with a thick layer of peace. What is not (yet) clear to me is how to allow, honor, and release those troubles in a way that works for everyone. I guess that it will be the same as everything - offer many options/tools and let each person find what works for them.

So, to shift the focus of this discussion a bit - a question:

What has worked for you to address issues of (fill in the blank) anger, fear, loss, etc - allowing you to look at the trouble and move forward. Or release it. Or come to peace with it. Again, the language varies but the concept is the same.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts,

Debbie Laxague
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #16
harrie

Response to Debbie's thread

Debbie in answer to your question.

I realize my life will always be a combination of ups and downs. When the downs happen, to recognize it, accept it, not judge it, and work with it while trying hard not to allow my ego thinking ("Ms LOLO") to interfere too much by throwing in all the emotional attachments. I feel that if I am able to do that, I can maintain a sense of peace and personal gratification. I think if I can work with the "down times" when life throws out the challenges, I can adjust to it and work with it so that it becomes manageable and possibly beneficial. What I don't want to do is work against it, emotionally fight it, where it becomes force against force. I know my Lolo ego will feed it with ammunition and it will become more stressful to handle mentally.

I know this can be easier said then done depending on the challenge. I just pray that I have the wisdom and discipline when the time comes.

I do believe in God. I believe he will give strength when asked. I believe that God can be found within my inner spirit and when my inner spirit is praying, there is that direct connection and my prayers are heard.

One way I like to release tension and other emotions related to tension is to really breathe deep and think about the breath when I do so. When I do that, my thoughts will shift focus from where it was towards the breathe, and it also opens channels within my nerve endings ( I just learned this from my physical therapist) AND it also helps me become aware where the tension is being held and thus is one step towards relaxing those areas.

Maryanne

2006:
BRCA 2 positive
HER2/neu amplified 4.7
ER+/PR+
TOPO II neg
Oncotype dx 20
oophorectomy

2007:
Femara

Last edited by harrie; 07-29-2008 at 11:55 PM..
Old 07-30-2008, 09:10 AM   #17
dlaxague

Maryanne, that was beautifully-said. Thank you for sharing your style of living. As I read your words, I feel my body responding with sighs of peace.

Another thing that works for me when I get stuck in fear or anger and the "gentler" tools aren't working is to do something physical - hike, bike, x/c ski - but it has to be hard enough to get my muscles complaining and my lungs gasping. (I'm so out of shape right now that it's not hard to get to that level of exertion, alas) For me that always brings some kind of release that allows me to get back to that place of acceptance and patience and use the gentler tools like the ones that you describe.

Debbie Laxague
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:03 AM   #18
chrisy

For me, for the stress anyway, it helps me to get out in nature. It can be, but doesn't necessarily have to be physically exerting.

Even then I often have to remind myself to stop, and just breathe it in. I walk twice weekly with a friend along the cliffs overlooking
Monterey Bay. We get caught up in "solving the problems of the world" - usually involving some crisis at work...but MOST times I remember to STOP, say "oh, look at that" and then we look out across the bay at whatever the sea and sky or beach is doing. For a couple of minutes. Just stopping to breathe it in helps break the cycle of whatever is stressing us.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:21 PM   #19
Jackie07

When my 2nd Sister was here taking care of me last summer, she demonstrated how she relieves her stress. She's always a very tense person, a believer of "should" "had to" kind of words. ('type A' personality? She does have "A" blood type plus having taught schools for 25 years.)The mechanism she had deployed was "throwing eggs toward the tiles on the wall in the bathroom" along with loud narrations...

I have a totally different personality. My mother used to call me 'a piece of gum' because no matter how other people tried to "chew me out", I wouldn't say or do ugly things back to them (being the youngest of the family, I didn't have the 'right' to talk back, anyway.)

So I develop a very, very close relationship with "God". I talk to "God" sometimes just by lifting up my head and sending Him/Her a mental note: "Now what?" It's really nice because you can talk to God anytime you want to. And He is the best listener...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 07-30-2008 at 05:28 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #20
Mary Jo

I loved how you put that Maryanne. I could just picture you "looking up and talking to God" and it made me feel peaceful. Yes, you are right, He is the greatest listener and I do just what you do quite often throughout a day. HE is my "bestest" friend.

Hugs to you,

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06