HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #1
Mary Jo

It is not normally like me......BUT......

Good Afternoon her2 groupies.....It is not normally like me to be a "downer" but I'm kind of feeling like that the last 2 days and needed to vent here with those who understand.

The reality of this disease hit me AGAIN (every now and then I feel reminded of how cruel this disease is - less and less as time goes on but circumstances and passing of loved ones brings it back) I've been struggling with sinus issues (or so I think) the past few months and just recently went on an antibiotic for it. I am feeling better but still have some foggy feelings in my head. The good news is that the headaches I was experiencing (waking me in the night top of head/forhead and back of head) - I haven't had since starting the antibiotics but still have some pain in lower skull area by neck and that is off and on but less since I started the antibiotic. I know my symptoms make no sense (and you KNOW where I'm heading with this 'cause we're all alike that way) but I am certain I have brain mets and it's bringing me down!

You guys know I don't live "their" and hate being negative and downcast (and nobody would know I feel this way except you) but the last few days I've been feeling blue about this cancer stuff and feeling like it's just a matter of time anyway. What a horrible attitude....I know!!! I also know I will get over it and life will go on but for today this is how I'm feeling and I needed to share it with my support system here.

I do go in for my 6 month check up on Dec. 18 and will at that time mention this all to my onc. (if the problem still exists) and then I know he will order a brain MRI and that scares the "YOU KNOW WHAT" out of me. I don't want that. Those scans etc. always bring me way down and always remind me of the world I'm living in and I hate it. On the other hand IF I have a brain MRI and hear it is all clear (oh surprise surprise there is nothing up their) I will feel very relieved.

For now though I just needed to share my heart with you guys 'cause you all get it. I've also been praying and asking God to help me remember that my life is in His Hands and fretting over my tomorrow's is useless. As a little card I keep hanging by my computer at work says "don't worry about tomorrow...God is already their."

Thanks for "listening" you guys!!!!

Love you LOTS.

Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED

<>< Romans 8:28

Last edited by Mary Jo; 12-02-2008 at 01:19 PM..
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
Rich66

I hope all is well with the MRI if you have one. I've been wondering whether CT is sensitive enough for brain mets. They have done two of those on my mom.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
naturaleigh

Hey MareJo

Sorry I missed wishing you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Could some of your "blues" be caused by your recent BIG event? I am not far behind you in age. For some reason; maybe because it is just before the BIG 50, and the last of the 40's this Birthday has me down a bit. I don't know how you feel about the winter time, but if you don't like the cold, you have been hit with a double wammy since your B'day is slap in the middle of the cold season. I know many people who get down when it gets cold outside.

Also, EVERYBODY has down days, including us before our diagnosis. I think now it just makes us more aware and more upset because we have had our fair share of the "blues". My bet is your headaches are nothing to worry about.

I hope your day gets better. My presciption to you is to put on some warm snuggly PJ's, make a cup or two of hot chocolate, build a fire if you have a fireplace and curl up on the couch with a good book or puzzle. Turn the radio and tv off and enjoy the peace and coziness the winter time brings.

My prayers are with you

er, pr-, Her2+++
Stage 2b, grade 3
negative nodes
4 rounds AC
3 months of weekly taxol
1 yr of Herceptin
Finish Herceptin May 2007
35 rounds of Radiation
Reconstruction completed Dec 2007
Implant replaced due to infection Mar 2008
4 Years NED!!!
naturaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Louise O'Brien

Mary Jo:

I'm hoping you're just dealing with a garden variety sinus infection (besides it's that time of year) and that in a few weeks this will just be a bad memory.

This is the awful legacy of this disease - wondering if or when the other shoe will drop. That's our reality, that's what we always have to live with and it's hard to explain it to anyone else. As positive as we try to be, we can never escape that nagging worry. It doesn't matter what stage we're at, how large or how small the tumour was or what our markers were - it continues to haunt us.

We try our damndest not to think of it because we want to enjoy every single day - but it stalks us whether it's a conscious worry or something that we try to ignore.

I think a lot of us have those days when we identify an apparent symptom that makes us worry. We just don't talk about it. We don't want to worry our spouses and we don't want to depress our friends.

So we carry it with us and usually go through the worry alone.

I wonder if the professionals around us are as familiar with this "syndrome" as we are. Is it similar to some kind of post traumatic stress syndrome?

I guess I'm just saying that what you are going through is so very normal and perhaps it hits those who fight so hard to stay positive just a little harder?

I think we're bound to have these days. How could we not? I hope this is the case with you. You've been such enormous support to so many on this board and I know we're all hoping this is just a temporary glitch.

Hang in there.
Louise O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 02:24 PM   #5
Mary Jo

Thanks Rich, Anita and Louise......

Rich, I did break down and call my oncologist's office and they are in the process of setting up an appointment for a brain MRI for me...YIKES!!! Not sure what to think....of course I want to say.....it will all be fine....but honestly, I'm a realist, and I don't know that.

Anita, nope....it isn't an age thing with me. I don't worry about things like age and don't mind getting older. As a matter of fact I enjoy getting older I think it's a combination of that 6 month check up coming up (always a friendly reminder of what we've gone through) and these head issues and not wanting to "tell" but knowing I need too.

Louise........yes, it is our reality - our world - as it were. No matter how hard we try to stay positive and try not to let the "what ifs" get to us.....we are human and at times it all just gets the best of us.

Thanks for your support you guys...it means a lot to me.

MJ

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 12-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
schoolteacher

Mary Jo,

I hope you had a happy birthday. I am sorry you are feeling down. Are the days really short where you live now? When the days get shorter, and I don't see much sunshine it affects my mood.

Let us know when the MRI is scheduled. I will be praying and thinking about you.

God Bless You, and I pray he will send you some peace of mind.
When my journey started in February you were one of the people who gave me peace to continue through this journey, so I truly hope the same for you.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Gerri

Mary Jo,

So sorry to hear that you are on a downer - it happens to the best of us, no matter how positive we try to be. Our lives have been changed forever and sometimes we just can't help but worry. I know that you will be back to your perky self soon.

I had my last checkup in October. Prior to that I was experiencing headaches (more than usual) and felt like I was a little spacey (again, more than usual) and off balance. Normally I would just pass this off as headaches and not mention anything to my onc. Well, I decided that if I didn't have it checked out, it would continue to worry me. During my checkup I made sure I told my onc and even played it up a bit. Since her "speciality" is brain cancer she immediately started asking me questions. She recommended a brain MRI and I (of course) agreed. I had it done about a week later and had to go back for the results. Everything was fine and I was able to let go of the fear of brain mets. I am so glad that I had the MRI because I continued to have headaches and was still walking a bit off at times. I am fine now and am really glad I pursued this.

The brain MRI for me was relatively easy - considering I am claustrophopic. The breast MRI for me is so much harder to endure. Prior to the exam I don't look at the tiny opening my body will be entering and I close my eyes before I go in and keep them closed the entire time.

Best of luck to you. Let us know what you find out.
ER+ (30%) /PR+ (50%), HER2+++
AC X 4 dose dense, Taxol X 4 dose dense
Herceptin started with 2nd Taxol, given weekly until chemo done
then given every 3 weeks for one year ending on March 16, 2007
Radiation 30 treatments
Tamoxifen - 2 yrs (pre-menopausal)
May 2008 - Feb 2012 Femara
Aug 2008 - Feb 2012 Zometa every 6 months
March 2012 - Stop Femara, now Evista for bone strengthening
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look
back and realize they were the big things.
- Robert Brault

Last edited by Gerri; 12-02-2008 at 04:20 PM..
Gerri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
BonnieR

MJ, just to say I know how you are feeling. I went through a very similar experience recently. Right down to the brain MRI. It was negative for cancer but showed some other potentially scary thing for which I had to see a neurologist and THAT turned out to be nothing either! So keep the faith. Whatever the outcome, you will feel better knowing.
I must say I much prefer living in the "ignorance is bliss" state! But I guess we don't have that luxury anymore.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
Mary Anne in TX

Mary Jo, do the brain MRI with joy. Then you get to hear your onc say, like mine did, "there's nothing up there"!!!!
Well, I knew that for sure!
I'd go with the hot chocolate and jammies thing myself!
I'm thinking awfully good thoughts for ya!
ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
Shobha

Mary Jo, I have read so many of your posts and you are such a positive spirit and give us all strength.

You will be in my prayers and wishing that the headaches are simply sinus related and nothing to do with the cancer.
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:12 PM   #11
Leslie's sister

not like you....

Oh Mary Jo..... you carry the world on your sympathetic shoulders. Of course you get scared too sometimes. Totally normal. I'd would be telling less than the truth if I said that I was never scared. Though I know that you hate scans, nothing less than a scan is going to put this away for you. I will pray that you are able to get an appointment very quickly and that the news is great. I will also pray that God comforts you, giving you the peace of knowing that He has got you covered. I've more than a strong feeling that this is all totally sinus related. Otherwise you would not have had relief you had from the antibiotics. Please keep me posted with an email once you have results. I'm not the best at checking this site these days....

Love you so much sweet sister!

Lisa
5 cm. Her2Neu+++, ER-, PR-
1 positive node out of six,
double mastectomy 6/9/06;
TCH started 7/12/06
last chemo 10/25/06
herceptin ended 6-11-07
Leslie's sister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
chrisy

Well Mary jo,
You pulled me out of hiding (I've been needing a break myself). But I couldn't let your post go without response. I have no wisdom, I just wanted to honor the way you are feeling and thank you for sharing it.

Yeah, this is the family that "gets it". Even those (like you) who will most likely only view cancer in the rearview mirror know that it shakes your reality forever.

Everyone else looks at you and sees you are fine and expects you to be fine...and can't understand why you would even think such thoughts.

Mary Jo, you are such a source of hope and encouragement for all of us, thank you for the gift of letting us lift YOU up for a change.

Keep your eye on that card you have hanging by your computer. That's the reality.

And it's much better than the one I have behind me that says "free your hair and your mind will follow"...but that's another story.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:02 PM   #13
Faith in Him

Dear Sweet Mary Jo,

We understand. We surely do. I am glad that you shared your feelings with us. I know that the days leading up to my recent scan were so difficult and my heart goes out to you. But as you know, God is with you and He alone will get you through this. We can rest in adversity because of HIM.

I have had a brain MRI and it was pretty easy but of course, waiting for the results is extremely difficult. I think that it is a good sign that you feel better after taking meds.

You are never far from my thoughts and are always in my prayers.

Love & Hugs to you,
Tonya
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:43 PM   #14
Mary Jo

Thank you everyone.....you have uplifted my soul and THAT'S why I brought my heavy heart here. My heart is feeling lighter now. Thanks!!

I spoke with my oncology nurse later this afternoon and we talked in length about my symptoms and the lack thereof. (she also use to be an ENT nurse) She feels that yes, we need to keep brain mets on my "list" BUT she feels more than that - that what I'm experiencing is sinus related. First of all, since I started on the antibiotics Saturday, I haven't taken any Sudafed (and up until that point I was taking anywhere from 2 - 6 per day - along with ibuprofen) and because the headaches during the night have stopped since I have been taking the antibiotic. I see my onc. on the 18th of Dec. and we have decided to wait to see what happens to the "symptoms" up to that point. If I am still experiencing any of them she is confident that a brain MRI will be ordered just to "rule it out" (her words) and she said if I were to twist their arms, either way, one would be ordered. I have decided to wait until the 18th to see how this all goes.....

Anyway, thank you again for being here for me and helping me to feel better 'CAUSE I DO! God has heard your kind, heartfelt prayers and He has given me that peace you prayed for. Thank God for each of you.

Love,

MJ

P.S. Chrisy PLEASE come back a little more often - I've missed you!

ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
No Vasucular Invasion
28 rads

17 Years NED

Old 12-02-2008, 06:48 PM   #15
Patb

Yes we do get it, we all go through it and you have
my support and prayers that everything is ok. I have
had a brain MRI and had to have an open one because
I could not go in the tube. Panic attacks are not pretty.
The open one is not really open but you can see out and
they put a mirror so I could see. Really nice people, even offered to hold my hand. Good luck and take care.
patb

Diagnosed June, 06, Stage I, Grade3, ER+PR- Her2positive, No Nodes. A/C X 4. Radiation 33 with boost, Herceptin every two weeks until Nov.
07, Arimedex for 5 years. Mugas and Echo and chest xRay. Bone scan of whole Body, and Back of Brain and spine MRI.
CT scan of Lungs every six months
due to two small places. December
2009, bone scan due to bone pain.
Follow up test in 2010.
Patb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #16
vickie h

Mary Jo,

Thank you for sharing your feelings with all of us. we're here for you.
I, too, had headaches and completely impacted sinuses and had to go on antibiotics. I had brain scans/MRI and no mets, but I know how you must feel. We are always waiting for the "other" shoe to drop. It is only lately that I've come to realize that that " other" shoe is going to drop for all of us here on Earth. Some of us know it, others just don't think about it or seem oblivious to it, but the fact is...it's coming someday.

The state of the world we live in is in turmoil and we are all a part of that. You are sensitive to what is going on around you, making you feel worried as most of us are. Know that we are here for you, that you are in our prayers and that we love you. vickie

Life's not about waiting for the storm to pass,
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Feb 04 IBC IIIC/IV er-/pr- her2+++
3/04 TCH X4
7/ 04 MRM 9/04 Taxol/herceptin wkly 1 yr 33X rads
11/04 skin mets 33x rads,10/05 Avast/Herc. 11 mos.
8/ 06 PET mets lymphs, neck
9/ 06 Navelbine/herceptin
11/ 06 PET NED
2/ 07 skin mets, 4/07 Xeloda, 5/07 add Tykerb
2/ 08 Tykerb failed. Doxil /Herceptin 6 months
8/08 PET skin mets, 8/08 Abraxane/Avastin
11/ 08 PET prog., skin mets
1/09 PET/CT progress, 1/09 Ixempra, 2/09 add Xeloda and low dose Naltrexone
2/09 off Ixempra/Xeloda
3/09 navelbine/herc/cytoxin 4/09 PET shows regress.7/09 start Topotecan. Failed.
8/09 extensive mets rgt brst, back and torso. starting Pazopanib clinical trial.
vickie h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:25 PM   #17
Bill

You hang in there, Mary Jo. I'm sure your headaches are sinus-related, but just for your own peace of mind, maybe you could try to bump up the MRI a little. Maybe a little "white lie" about the "ongoing" headaches you are experiencing. Hey, I'm just saying.....This stuff is stressful enough without prolonging the waiting, right?
Old 12-02-2008, 08:37 PM   #18
Melissa

I know exacting how you feel. For the past month I also have had headaches along w/ pressure. I started on Claritan and now I'm better, as a matter of fact the headaches are gone. I live in Va and this year the allergies seem later than normal. For several nights I would awake with what seemed to be a pressure headache at the back of my head. We ALL have those days, for me sometimes more than a few. But I believe you are okay!

04/06, (42), 2cm tumor, 7/13 nodes, one positive node under clavicle
mastectomy/reconstruction
grade 3, stage lllb, er-65+, pr-90+, her2+++(80%)
4/AC, 12wks TH then 6wks rads
40 wks herceptin, and tamoxifen.
onc test tamoxifen resistance = poor metabilizer
04/07 ooph & on arimidex
08/07 completed herceptin

04/2022 - 16 year survivor!
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:44 PM   #19
sassy

Worry................

"Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength."

Marejo,

You are such a strong and supportive person, but we all know that worry worms its way into our minds at least once in a while. It is then that we lean on our faith and our friends who do "get it". Thats why we all belong to this support group-----------to support.

We love you,
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #20
caya

Mary Jo,

Sorry you have been experiencing headaches, and now have been worrying about possible brain mets - have you noticed at all whether your headaches are weather related? I get bad headaches whenever there is moisture - rain or snow. A cousin of mine gets them too and I will phone her and ask if she's had headaches - last week we had alot of snow here and we both had headaches most of the week. I got these before BC, but of course now if they go on for a few days I start thinking like you... I've always been prone to sinus headaches as well. A few years ago I went to an ENT specialist who did a CT scan of my sinuses which revealed a congenital defect - I have the sinuses of an 8 year old - they could not drain properly, so the smallest little cold would turn into a full blow sinus infection. Funny thing - I think chemo and/or Herceptin did something good in this regard, as I have not had one sinus infection since this nightmare began..

On the other hand, constant UTIs have plagued me. My onc. and GP agreed to put me on Macrobid 100 1x/day as a prophylactic for a few months to see if this will help. I sure hope so, nothing else has worked.

Will this ever end? Not likely, we just have to cope as best we can. You are allowed a few down days, you would not be human if you didn't have them once in a while.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!

Last edited by caya; 12-02-2008 at 09:50 PM..
caya is offline   Reply With Quote