HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Faith in Him

Cysts on ovaries

My onc called me back to say that although no tumors were found on the scan I have a cyst on each ovary. This was not on the prior scan.

He did not seem too concerned but is sending me for follow up. I wonder how concerned I should be? I am not er/pr+ so I didn't think I needed to worry about this. What should I ask the dr and can I now push to have them removed?

Thanks,
Tonya
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Becky

Re: Cysts on ovaries

Hi

This happened to me too (although I just had 2 cysts on the left ovary only). They looked odd on ultrasound too but that ended up being because I was supposed to probably ovulate but didn't due to chemo, treatment, Taxoxifen (at that time) etc. So these cysts imploded and filled with blood and looked funny. Anyway, at the time I was 46 and really wanted my ovaries out so I could take Arimidex instead of Tamoxifen (because I am only ER+ and not PR and Tamoxifen usually doesn't work so well in that situation) and I did get them out. However, I was older than you are now and I was hormone positive which you are not.

I would definitely follow up but I think its just a "wanna be" ovulation and you still are in treatment and sometimes those poor wanna bes just don't know what to do so they just hang there (do I burst and ovulate or do I not). When you do follow up, make sure that if they are still there, they ultrasound you again in a few weeks. I guarantee they won't be there then I bet.

When you are told to "follow up" it always brings the fear of God into you. And remember that your onc already called them cysts (I think this is more common than anyone thinks when having been on or are currently on chemo and is only discovered because of testing of some sort. Mine were discovered because of a routine uterine ultrasound to measure baseline endometrium lining. I had just started Tamoxifen and Tamoxifen has a side effect of thickening the lining (and perhaps cause uterine cancer)...) So it goes.

Have a wonderful weekend and think about us in the Mid Altantic States. We are supposed to get 1-2 ft of snow.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
Westcoastgirl

When diagnosed with breast cancer I was quite concerned about my ovaries, estrogen positive, early menses, late menopause, I thought there was significant history in the family (drs didn't), wanted them removed. My onc tried to reassure me that I need not worry about ovarian cancer as despite being in treatment for breast cancer, I was no more at risk for ovarian cancer than any other woman. I wanted another opinion and also asked for an ultrasound of my ovaries. They found two cysts on the one ovary, much to my horror, but in the end after lots of fretting and seeing four different doctors, everything was fine. Ovarian cysts are rare in menopausal women but not rare in younger women. I was sent to a Women's Center where I met with two Gynecologist/Oncologists and they wanted a second ultrasound which I did 3 months later. The cysts had resolved themselves and by that time I was ready to get off the train. Four doctors had told me I was no more at risk for ovarian cancer than any other woman and so I have relaxed and am going to let that part of things go. Life is a crap shoot and what will be will be so no point in worrying about ovarian cysts that are probably a common occurrence in a woman your age and will resolve. Have faith.
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
Faith in Him

Thank you both for your informative replies. I met with the ob/gyn and she is a little concerned about the size of one cysts. It is 6 cm so I'll do an ultra sound next week to get a better look.

Tonya
03/07 CT & Bone scan - Clear
AC x 4, Taxol x 4, Added Herceptin
Radiation until 09/07
Herceptin every 3 weeks until 06/08
01/10/08 local recurrence -IBC
01/28/08 CT & Brain MRI - clear
02/08 - Navelbine & Herceptin
05/08 -MRM
05/08 - Gemzar & Herceptin - didn't work
09/08 - Hyperthermia rads
03/09 - Tykerb/Xeloda
05/10 - Tram flap to fix wound
Faith in Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #5
alicem

I discovered an "ovarian" cyst around the same time my breast cancer was found. Because the cyst was about 12 cm they were concerned about it AND it could not be removed arthroscopically. SO, since I already had my lumpectomy scheduled, they threw in the bonus hysterectomy/oopherectomy at the same time. They discovered that the cyst was fused to my bladder, so they had to call in a urologist to cut it open to make sure that was not the origin. It was not, and it ended up not being on my ovary at all. Instead it originated from the point where my uterus and cervix met. It had only grown large enough to make it look like it was on my ovary. Everything was fine however - all was benign.

The main reason they want to watch it is that a lot of times, cysts take care of themselves and will go away.

Wishing you well!
10/15/08 - Hysterectomy & Oophorectomy, Lumpectomy: Cyst on uterus, not ovary - all was benign. Breast - 5 of 6 bad margins. 2 Sentinel Lymph nodes removed, both negative. Stage 0, Tis, N0
12/11/08 - Mastectomy & DIEP reconstruction: Surprise! 2 cm Invasive DC, grade 2 found. One benign internal mammary lymph node. Stage 1, T1c, N0, all clean margins. ER+ (Proportion Score = 2/5, Intensity Score = 2/3) and PR+(Proportion Score = 3/5, Intensity Score = 2/3)
HER2 score = 3+
1/09/09 - Oncotype DX: Recurrence S/core of 60 !?!?! ER status is NEG!! PR staus is NEG! HER2 score = 12.2 (still positive, greater than 11.5 is positive).
1/20/09 - Started chemo: TCH
5/26/09 - FINISHED CHEMO!
1/05/10 - FINISHED HERCEPTIN!
1/22/10 - Port-a-catheter removed!
3/07/18 - Still NED
9/10/23 - Still NED
alicem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
kcherub

Hi! I get them ALL THE TIME. The first year after being diagnosed, I swear I had an U/S every 6 weeks. The protocol is to wait and see if they dissolve on their own--surgery is never the first option, unless there is torsion. I think you will be just fine.

I am on Tamoxifen, so mine are quite repetitive, but I have had them on and off for as long as I can remember (before BC).

Hang in there!
ER/PR 90%+ HER2 +
6 TCH started 5/25/2007, ended after #5 due to steroid "reactions" and neuropathy in feet and hands
BUT--#6 CH w/o Taxotere
Begin Herceptin alone 9/28/2007
30 rads completed 12/19/2007
Finish Herceptin 5/9/2008
Stopped Tamoxifen early--HATED it.
Married 17 years
13-year old son
3 embies on ice (from 1999)
GA, USA

kcherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
Westcoastgirl

One thing I want to add as well is when I got my ovarian ultrasound report back a nurse, the technician and two doctors had read it, and then me. I went with the report to my onc and asked how can these ovarian cysts be measured so large when the ovary itself is so small? The end of the story was the onc asked the same question as me, sent the report back, and lo and behold these huge cysts that I had..... ended up being very small as they had put the decimal in the wrong place twice in the one report so don't worry too much. They are so common at your age. When you get your next ultrasound, you will see that they have resolved and you will feel so good about it. All the best, Carolyn
1/15/09 double mastectomy/skin sparing; no evidence of vascular/lymphatic invasion, 8neg/8 nodes (tumor 8.0mm)
2/16/09 given portacath/removed 4/30/10
2/18/09 "surprise" 2.0mm tumor/positive borders~
completed 28 rads 10/09.
2/23/09 until 4/19/10~treatments every 3wks (4 Cytoxan + Adriamycin, 4 Taxol + Herceptin, 13 Herceptin alone)
8/09 osteoporosis diagnosis/Zometa 3 yrs of 1x/6 months
Chemo side effects; Deafness, kidney function loss
11/09 began Aromatase Inhibitor (Femara)/Feb2014, stopped Femara early/after 3 mos began Tamoxifen for 8 mos to complete 5 years
11/10 Reconstruction, directly to silicone implants
12/11 nipples by skin graft/Right breast size reduced

I have heard th
ere are troubles of more than one kind

Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have trouble with me!
Dr. Seuss
Westcoastgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #8
swimangel72

Carolyn your story about the decimal point reminds me of a mistake the radiologist's transcriptionist made on my last restaging cat scans. They found a cyst on my liver (which was originally small, just 1.6 cm).......but in the new report they said it was 60 mm (which translates to 16 cm!) I was so shaken (my onc didn't even notice this in the report, indifferent man that he was - he's no longer my onc).......I took the cat scan on a cd to my gastroenterologist and he looked at it and measured it on his computer and said they made a mistake. It wasn't 60mm........only 16mm.........he called it a "transcriptionist" error. I ranted and said, "Yes let's blame the underpaid transcriptionist.......not the radiologist who signed off on the report!" So I called the radiology department and ranted a bit about these kinds of errors causing unnecessary anxiety for breast cancer patients, and they agreed to have the head of radiology re-read the scan and issue a new report (without charge).

Tonya I hope the cysts on your ovaries turn out to be nothing. I also have cysts on each ovary and freaked out (because I'm Er+) but an obstetrical oncologist reassured me these are very normal and I'm at the same risk for ovarian cancer as any other woman (a fact that is sometimes NOT a fact, but an opinion - especially for BC women). Still my follow-up restaging scan showed the same cysts that didn't grow, so I calmed down. I'm now of the opinion that scans just cause me unnecessary "scanxiety" so I'm not as pushy about getting them any more - as long as I feel OK and don't have any symptoms.
IDC Stage 1, Grade 1
ER+ 90% /PR+ 90% /Her2++++, BRAC1 & 2 neg
3/5/08 - mast with muscle-sparing free tram;
0/7 nodes clear; Stage 1 lymphedema in right arm
3/11/08 - MRSA infection in abdomen causes large hernia
4/11/08 - Oncotype DX score 22 (intermediate)
4/12/08 - Muga score 67%
4/23/08 - Chemo, Navelbine and Herceptin every 2 weeks
8/20/08 - Last Navelbine infusion! Yay!
1/22/09 - First mammo since dx - unaffected breast CLEAR!
1/30/09 - Second Muga score 63%
swimangel72 is offline   Reply With Quote