HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #1
Maggie

More on targeted therapy, Tykerb

Just reading my email from breast cancer.org. I thought I'd pass it along..

Dear breastcancer.org Community Member:

Targeted therapy has been receiving more attention since last month's news about Tykerb for HER2-positive breast cancer. Unlike chemotherapy and radiation treatment, targeted therapy attacks specific kinds of cancer cells without harming healthy cells.

You may have heard of some of the other targeted therapies for breast cancer, such as Herceptin and Avastin. How can you know whether one of these treatments is right for you?

Join our Ask-the-Expert Online Conference next Wednesday, July 19th between 9:30 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)* (2:30 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. GMT July 20th) where Dr. Seidman and Dr. Armstrong will answer your questions about targeted therapies.

Andrew Seidman, M.D., our guest speaker, is an Associate Attending for the Breast Cancer Medicine Service, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York. He is also an Associate Professor of Medicine at Joan and Sanford I. Weill Medical College of Cornell University. Dr. Seidman received a Career Development Award from the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) for his research on taxanes in breast cancer treatment. In 2003, he received the Gay Clark Stoddard Memorial Award, given by the Komen Foundation to a health care professional who goes beyond the call to provide exceptional care to breast cancer patients. Dr. Seidman is also a member of the breastcancer.org Professional Advisory Board, which you can read about here:
http://www.breastcancer.org/pab.html

The conference moderator will be Jennifer Armstrong, M.D. Dr. Armstrong is a breast cancer oncologist with Paoli Hematology Oncology Associates in Paoli, Pa. She previously served on a Steering Committee at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center charged with developing courses to improve physician's communication skills. She also designed a communication skills workshop that was implemented as a forum for fellows. Dr. Armstrong is a member of the breastcancer.org Professional Advisory Board, which you can read about here:
http://www.breastcancer.org/pab.html

To join the conference, go to www.breastcancer.org any time between 9:30 p.m. and 11:00 p.m. EDT* on July 19th and click on the "Join Conference" button. No special software is required. A transcript of the conference will be posted on our site by July 27th.

I look forward to having you join our Ask-the-Expert Online Conference next week!

Take care,

Marisa

Marisa Weiss, M.D.
President and Founder
www.breastcancer.org

*breastcancer.org welcomes conference participants from all over the world. To help you figure out when the conference will take place in your time zone, you can compare your local time to the current time on the East Coast of the United States. See:
http://www.breastcancer.org/time.php

-- -----------------------------------------------------------------------
breastcancer.org
111 Forrest Avenue 1R
Narberth, PA 19072
(610) 664-1990

Maggie
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 05:57 PM   #2
fcrcm

thanks Maggie. I am new to this forum, just learning how to navigate it. The open forum on targeted therapy will be useful to me as I have been on Herceptin for 7 months (liver and bone and a jillion lymphs metastasized), and my last PET scan showed a new bone met in my hip. Don't know what to do next.
fcrcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:09 PM   #3
Unregistered

Lightbulb antineoplaston?

Have you considered Burzynski protocol in Houston? I have initiated treatment there along with Herceptin after talking with many patients (including multiple myeloma cured after being pronounced incurable.) Also, quasi-MRI equipment in India is increasing electrical activity of cancer cells (lower), initiating cellular death; excellent results in difficult to treat cancer.