HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-20-2009, 02:26 PM   #1
StephN

MORE on OMEGA 3's in Yukon Salmon - actual research!

March 12, 2009
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NUTRITION DISCOVERY:

KWIK’PAK FISHERIES L.L.C. ANNOUNCES OMEGA-3 LEVELS IN YUKON SALMON CONSIDERABLY HIGHER THAN ANY OTHER FISH IN USDA DATA BASE

EMMONAK, ALASKA: Beneficial Omega-3 fatty acids, which come from fish oils, have been much in the news in recent years for their numerous and significant health benefits. Kwik’pak Fisheries L.L.C. of Emmonak and Anchorage, Alaska is excited to announce that wild Yukon River king and chum (also known as keta) salmon harvested in Alaska’s Yukon River Delta have “shockingly high” levels of this important nutrient, reported to be severely lacking in average American diets. Recent tests by Bodycote Testing Group of Portland OR measured an average of 4.15% omega-3 for chums and 4.38 % for kings, twice, and in many cases three or four times, the levels of any other fish in the USDA data base.

“We’ve known our salmon have the highest oil content because of the length of the Yukon River”, says Jack Schultheis, Kwik’pak General Manager, “but we have only just recently had them tested for omega-3s. Everyone we have shown the results to are astonished.”

When Seattle nutritionist and Registered Dietician Dr. Evette Hackman R.D., reviewed the Yukon fall chum lab results for Kwik’pak Fisheries, the omega-3 levels were so high, she contacted Bodycote Testing Group to make sure there hadn’t been a mistake. “I was shocked”, reports Dr. Hackman. After trying the fish, only recently introduced to “Lower 48” markets, she said, “We don’t usually think of chum salmon as being a good source of omega-3s but when you look at the red color and cook and taste this fish, it is no surprise. It’s wonderful when something so good for you can be so delicious.”

When Dr. Hackman shared the test results with Dr. Joyce Nettleton, nutrition consultant to the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute, Nettleton wrote, “I was quite surprised by the very high total fat and omega-3 values in these fish. These are astonishingly high values.”

These are the salmon that have sustained the Yup’ik Eskimo people who harvest them for 10,000 years. An important subsistence food, salmon are dried, gently smoked and stored for winter use. When subsistence needs and escapement goals are met, the Alaska Department of Fish & Game opens the Yukon Delta commercial fishery for Yup’ik fishing families in June, enabling salmon lovers in the “Lower 48” to access these flavorful and healthful fish. Even kids who don’t like fish like Yukon salmon. And what could be better for them.

According to Dr. Hackman, “One 3½ ounce serving of Yukon River chum or king salmon per week would equal, from an omega-3 standpoint, three servings of other salmon. But omega-3 factors are only part of the story. I would rather see people eat more fish, not less. The nutrient composition is good and people do not usually fry salmon. It tends to be grilled or baked and that leads to less unhealthy fats. There are many other reasons to eat more fish.”

Boston Seafood International Seafood Show (March 15-17) attendees are urged to visit the Kwik’pak Fisheries booth #1755 to taste the Yukon king and chum salmon and to meet some of the Yup’ik fishermen and women who harvest them.

Community-owned Kwik’pak Fisheries L.L.C. was founded in 2002 to provide economic security to the remote Yukon Delta villages of Alakanuk, Emmonak, Grayling, Kotlik, Nunam Iqua and Mountain Village. Kwik’pak Fisheries is certified by the Marine Stewardship Council and is the only seafood company member of the Fair Trade Federation.

For further information on beneficial omega-3 fatty acids, contact:
Dr. Evette Hackman, 206-522-6581, ehackman@spu.com

For further information on Yukon salmon or Kwik’pak Fisheries L.L.C.,contact:
Jon Rowley 206-963-5959, rowley@nwlink.com, www.kwikpakfisheries.com

SOME HEALTH BENEFITS OF BENEFICIAL OMEGA-3 FATTYACIDS (DHA + EPA):

Many recent studies show associations between eating fish high in omega-3 fatty acids and lowering the risk or severity of many diseases. These include lowering the risk of heart disease and heart attack, lowering high blood pressure, improving the pattern of blood lipids, decreasing blood clotting factors and increasing beneficial relaxation in larger arteries and blood vessels. Several studies have shown reduced risk of cancer especially breast, prostate and colon cancer. Other associations include lowering the risk of rheumatoid arthritis and asthma, improving fetal and infant brain development, lowering the risk for depression and improving treatment for manic depression and schizophrenia.

Evette M. Hackman, PhD, RD
Emerita Professor
Seattle Pacific University
Food and Nutritional Sciences

###

=

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote