HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #141
lkc Gumby

Re: NEDenise Has Died

Rolepaul. God Bless you for all you have done for Nina and what you tried to do for Denise..I absolutely hate this disease!!!!

Dxed Stage IIIC May 05, 12 pos nodes
er/pr -neg,Her -pos
LVI
Right partial mast & partial axillary dissection-June14,2005
Right modified mast-no clear margins- June 30, 2005
DD AC x4
Taxotere X4 with Herceptin
Rads x 35( 5 fields )
Left prophylactive mast( atypia & hyperplasia found ),
put on Tamoxifen x 1 yr; D/ced due to endometrial thickening
bilateral recon (saline implants)May 06
Nipple recon July 06
metformin 2010
removal of implants due to severe encapsulation, insertion of gummies 2013
Reclast Q yr
NED!!!
lkc Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:00 PM   #142
fauxgypsy

This makes me heartsick. She was so funny and so courageous. I had no idea she was so ill.
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #143
Deb33

I thought this was a joke when I first read the subject line - like when Denise was "cured" by the insurance company. She always knew how to put a funny swing on things and ALWAYS had kind and loving words for everyone. I followed her closely because our treatment timing and diagnosis were so similar and she was so positive and upbeat in her posts.

I am still stunned with the news and am heart sick that she left behind such a loving family - and us - she will be missed.
2/23/11 Began TCH protocol every 21 days 6x
5/23/11 Ultrasound of originally diseased lymph node shows normal
7/25/11 Lymph node dissection - 8 of 14 show disease
7/29/11 Double mastectomy with reconstruction (expanders)
8/29/11 Begin follow up chemo - Adriamycin 4 treatments every 2 weeks and Xeloda. Self inject Nupogen shots
1/6/12 6 weeks of Radiation finished
2/13/12 Last Herceptin/remove port
3/27/12 PET/Brain Scan NED :)
8/15/12 Final reconstruction - hello nipples, good bye expanders
9/14/12 Rejected implant/infection. Implant removed
5/6/13 Latissumis Dorsi surgery left side with expander

PS - my photo was taken 5 days after my double mastectomy surgery and 6 weeks after my TCH was completed
Deb33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #144
fauxgypsy

I just saw that I had a private message and it was from Denise. It was so thoughtful and made me realise again how much she will be missed.
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #145
Jackie07

It's been almost a month since Denise's passing. Still can't find words ...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:23 AM   #146
dawny

It still feels unreal.

I miss her

Dawn. Xx
Abraxane weekly - 16 weeks
Herceptin every third week
September 26 2011 N.E.D!
Herceptin ongoing
8th Dec 2011 Brain MRI - clear
20th Dec 2011 bone/cat scan clear still NED
April 2012 scans show axillary node lump - ? what to do...
June 2012 Axillary node dissection 1/11 nodes affected, a wide local excision shows DCIS. Now what to do again? Watch and scan 3 monthly
April 2013, two spots in nodes to chest wall, start TDM1 (Kadcycla) as part of clinical trial
July 2013 stable
Oct 2013 progression off TDM-1 (Kadcycla)
Nov 2013 radiation to lymph nodes in sternum
Dec 2013. Mastectomy right side, pathology shows tumour was HER-2 negative, no wonder TDM-1 (Kadcycla) didn’t work!
April 2014 NED. On Herceptin only
August 2014 NED. On Herceptin only
March 2015. NED. On Herceptin only
September 2015 NED on Herceptin only
March 2016. Pulmonary embolism, Clexane injections daily forever. Still NED On Herceptin only
Nov 2016. Bone Mets in ribs - Radiation. Don’t know if bone Mets are er-/pr-/HER2+ or triple negative.
Can’t give self injections on to tablets (Xarelto) for blood clots.
2017 NED - On Herceptin only
2018 NED - On Herceptin only
2019 NED - On Herceptin only
2020 NED - On Herceptin only
2021 NED - On Herceptin only
dawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #147
evergreen

Denise was always an inspiration for me. She was a role model and was very involved in this group. My sympathy goes out to her husband and friends and family because she was a special person who will be missed.
Eating foods thought to fight cancer, exercising every other day,using my garden as my mecca of peace, and loving my supportive husband more than ever.
evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #148
dearjilly

Andi and Paul,
Thanks for posting. Noted.
"cyber hugs" in memory of our dear Denise.
April 2013 - GOT MARRIED!!!!
May 2013 - looks like no progression, but necrosis and bigger.
Oct-Dec 2013 - Avastin tx
Nov 2013 - MRI shows necrosis shrinkage!!!!
Jan 2014 - Lepto Mening. disease found
Feb 2014 - WBR
March - BLAHHHH
April 2014 - Liver mets found
April 2014 to present - Chemo again, whooohoo. Fun!
July 2014, scans look good.
Stay on Perjetand hercertin.
Nov. 2014 more lepto-mening disease more WBR.
Feb 2015 more lepto-mening disease in spine and neck. More radiation.
Start on TDM1 no more Perjeta stay on herceptin
March 2015 more radiation in my thoracic area, more lepto-meningial disease
April 2015 trying to walk again.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
dearjilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:36 AM   #149
norkdo

Today was christmas day.
As i put the turkey in the oven I started crying for denise, for ted.
cooking, cleaning, wrapping gifts, (planning a hawaiian holiday in Denise's case, probably), doing dishes or a load of wash....any housework or hassle, or preparation....denied denise for this day, this year. All the next years. All the next Christmases.
It was summertime sixteen months ago when she started a thread I reread tonight, announcing her brain mets. Sixteen short months ago.
Before she got home from the standard (for you americans, thankfully not us canadians) end of treatment base line brain mri , her oncologist phoned and said they found two tumors in her brain. She described her feelings, writing to us six hours later, on here, as "sad, not scared, or angry." "Just sad." Those were the words she wrote. She'd been crying for many of those six hours.
Tonight at my brother's place with my husband and my nephews and nieces I cried again for her. And I realized I am so identified, my stage and type of disease with Denise, that I am crying for me too. Like Denise I have no control over when or how soon this disease will take me. I can't predict. I just feel so damn sad.
I haven't had any testing other than a bone scan since my treatment ended at a time close to when her initial treatment ended. I've been childishly avoiding my oncologists' appointments, not showing up, dodging them. I finally, after being phone-spammed by the rads onc, saw him, had the bone scan, still no word from him on that, and am dodging the blood test and c.t.
Hospital sent a couple of appointment letters and I havent opened them yet and it's been a week.
I think the tears for Denise are also for me. I'm scared as hell by her death. Scared of dying.
I have "known" (whether time will prove me right or not nobody knows yet) deep inside me that I will not make the five year mark. I personally place zero weight by the five year mark thing. I just feel certain I too will die within the next three yrs. It's just a thing my body knows and my mind refuses to grow up and face it, get testing done etc.
I think the main reason, ( besides the obvious one...fear of dying...wanting to live out my natural lifespan)...is this one: I have decided not to get further treatment. If I go to stage four, I don't want further chemo, to be bald again, to be sick again. I just want to be treated for the symptoms that come from dying of the disease. If it gets too bad, I want to end things in Switzerland, I even know a place there, via a friend, where it is done.
Maybe I am just shaken by helping a friend have her dog put down on Saturday, at her house...the vet came to the house. I was there when life left the body and maybe it shook me and I lost both my dogs this year.
If anyone here is offended by my thoughts, bringing up my dogs at this time, please don't be as my dogs are/were my life, my only children, not having human ones, so please don't be offended by that.
But I just feel so damn sad.
So sorry Denise that you didn't make Christmas turkey this year. So sad for your family. But most of all for you.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:00 AM   #150
Coux92

I keep having visions of Denise in Heaven doing the Hula and giggling while watching Ted and the boys try to as well....I don't know if the trip happened but I get some comfort from the vision.
Norkdo, I hope your wrong about your survival but impressed how honest you are with yourself. . Just maybe, all the thoughts and plans you have made will never need to be put in motion. I'm sorry for the loss of your four legged kids. Hugs and prayers coming your way.
5/15/13 dx IDC 1CM,
5/20/13 BRAC 1&2 neg
5/28/13 lumpectomy and SNB, ER/PR/Her-2+, Nodes neg,positive margins
6/13/13 revision of margins . Now clear
6/26/13 first TCH
Chemo Ninja~kutaki Zika Zukuchiri
10/18/13-Bx of calcification-neg whew
11/7/13 Started Radiation.
01/2014- Started Tamoxifen
06/09/14-Steriotactic BX left breast calcification-Benign
06/18/2014-completed one year of Herceptin!
Coux92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #151
Aussie Girl

Dear Norkdo,

Christmas is a hard time because we can't help remembering the people we love who aren't with us anymore. Especially hard for you and some of the other higher stage girls who had been traveling the road with Denise for a long time.

I am not shocked about you making plans about what to do, or not do in the the event of a recurrence nor the contemplation of the Switzerland option. I am concerned about the depth of you grief and your despair. I am hoping you are able to reach out to someone in your family, a friend or a counselor to have a good long talk about your feelings.

Much love to you

Aussie Girl (Diane)
17 June '13: Screen detected impalpable mass, Mammogram neg, US.
25 June '13: Diagnosed after multiple biopsies and MRIs
28 June '13: Left lumpectomey
4 July '13: Left Mastectomy
12 August '13: Commenced TCH chemo
Mid December '13 : TCH finished. Herceptin continuing three weekly.
4 August 2014- Herceptin infusions finished.
END OF THERAPY - YAY!
Aussie Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #152
pibikay

My prayers fo her and condolonces to TED I know the effect of such parting.
3 group friends have joined Hema this month.I am really looking for words to express my anguish
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:31 PM   #153
norkdo

coux, diane (aussie) and pibi....thank you so so so so much. I feel you. Thank you very kindly. Apologies everyone for my selfish hijacking of Denise's thread. So sorry. won't do it agin. Pibi: I feel you. God bless you in your pain. I'm holdin' your hand, my brother. Thanks for holding mine, coux and diane. hugs.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
Old 12-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #154
KDR

Dearest Nora,
Such a beautiful piece of your heart you left on paper for us. It is easy to learn who you are by such raw and human emotion.
Denise would have been so moved by your words. Your love for her and fear for us all is palpable. You respect life, all life, as do I. Do not apologize for incorporating your dogs. Love is love and living things are living things. Loss is loss.
Read Henry Beston's The Outermost House, wherein he describes the animal kingdom as nations among themselves. You, Nora, will appreciate this writing. It is how I live, apply these belief systems to all: people and creatures. It is what perpetuated my self-deleted post about thanking the mice that sacrifice for us, for they do.
A very well-published author friend of mine (40 books to his credit) has written much on the subject of relationships, culture, etc. And he once told me, "Karen, no matter what happens, everything will be alright." And in the long run, everything is alright. It must be. We are stars. Each and everyone of us. You are a star. I have always loved your face. I read it; I know it. And with this post, you gave us you.
Denise's love continues to be, look for it. Smile. She'll smile back.
Love,
Karen
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #155
norkdo

Karen, you are this light of love in what has been a dark tunnel. You survived 911 close up and personal, AND cancer, and yet you give, you give, you give. Aussiegirl, you may be very very right indeed about Christmas. I cannot share with the non cancer people in my life in a vulnerable way. I have to stay strong for them. Thank you for getting me this through this dark tunnel today ....tonight.
Oh how much love has been given me in my dark hours by yourselves. Thank you. Just like Denise did for me. Wow. The riches from this site keep piling up. Oh Pibi anc Coux and all of you who loved Denise, you are candles of great spiritual healing as we hold this vigil together in Denise's name on this thread. God bless you all who read here to honour a beautiful, loving soldier in this war on cancer, and you, my angels of kindness, whose kind wise posts teach me to walk in her fiery, red-headed, funny, wild, optomistic path.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #156
Laurel

Nora,

I think what you shared was honest and heartfelt. The whole recurrence-monster thing looms large for everyone, especially for those that are Stage 111b, like you, but honestly none of us rests easily. I do want to remind you that mets to the brain usually occurs within the first 3 years with Her2 so you are past the halfway point. Believe. Simply believe until you must believe differently. Period.

I have a good feeling about you....

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #157
sassy

Nora,

What more perfect place to share your fears and concerns than in this place where you are completely understood and cared for? Hopefully sharing those fears here can help to allay them somewhat. I agree with Laurel that your prognosis continues to look brighter as you travel down this path.

When those fears grab hold of you come here for venting and support and remember--

Do not let tomorrow's worries rob you of today's joy.

My best to you,
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #158
norkdo

Omg, Laurel and Rhonda, you put tears in my eyes. Only hearing it from fellow travellers can put tears of hope in my heart and i thank you deeply for your love over the cyber waves of this earth. Thank you so much for reaching over to hold my hand. God bless you so much for this. Big, big, rocking hugs of thanks.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #159
Ceesun

Hi All, Laurel where do you get that 3 year statistic with brain mets. I thought it often occurs late in the disease process. If course, I know this disease is unpredictable in its behavior. Thx Ceesun
Ceesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #160
Laurel

Ceesun,

Gosh, I know I read that in one of my endless searches. I just tried looking through PubMed to see if it might have been there. I confess I tend to wander through PubMed where one search leads to another good/interesting article and before I know it I have lost an hour reading. I will keep trying to find it for you, and hopefully one of our resident propeller heads (think seriously smart) like Lani, Hopeful, or Jackie will chime in!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote