HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Articles of Interest
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-07-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
Rich66

Walnuts Slow Growth of Breast Cancer Tumors

Walnuts Slow Growth of Breast Cancer Tumors
Monday, October 06, 2008 :: infoZine Staff
New research funded by the American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) has found evidence that a daily dose of walnuts - equal to two servings a day in humans - reduces the growth of breast cancer tumors in mice. The study is the first to investigate the effect of walnut consumption on cancer.

Washington, D.C. - American Institute for Cancer Research - infoZine - "This is an intriguing finding that needs to be repeated, and ultimately confirmed in humans," said Karen Collins, M.S., R.D., Nutrition Advisor for AICR. "But it fits with some of what we've seen from other studies. We know that walnuts have a lot to offer, such as omega-3 fat, vitamin E, and other antioxidants. Many of these substances have already shown anti-cancer potential individually."

The study appears in the current issue of the journal Nutrition and Cancer.

Walnuts in the Diet Slow Tumor Growth
In the study, researchers looked at the ability of walnuts to slow the growth of breast tumors using an amount comparable to what humans might eat.

A group of 22 mice with human breast cancer tumors was divided into two groups. One group was fed ground walnuts daily in the amount equivalent to two ounces (28 walnut halves) for humans. The comparison group consumed a diet supplemented with corn oil, along with amounts of vitamins, minerals and fiber that were similar to the amounts occurring in the walnut diet.

After 35 days, the breast cancer tumors of the walnut-fed mice were only about half the size of the tumors in the mice that were not fed walnuts.

"What this study showed is that we had a significant suppression of cell proliferation in the walnut-fed group," said W. Elaine Hardman, Ph.D., lead investigator and associate professor at the Marshall University's Joan C. Edwards School of Medicine. "The time it took the tumor to double in size was 11.1 days for the corn oil fed mice compared to 23.3 days in the walnut fed group."

That such a small dose of walnuts could exert such influence intrigued investigators. "I was surprised by the results because, compared to most dietary studies, we were adding a very small amount to the diet and I didn't think this amount would be enough to suppresses the growth as much as it did," Hardman added.

Walnut Components Display Anti-Cancer Potential
Although the current study is the first to investigate the effects of whole walnuts on cancer, individual walnut components have displayed the ability to slow or prevent cancer in previous investigations.

One of those components, a type of omega-3 fatty acid called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), sets walnuts apart from other nuts, according to AICR's Collins. "Walnuts are one of the few plant foods that contain this kind of omega-3 fat, which protects against heart disease, inflammation and - potentially - cancer as well." Canola oil and flaxseed are also sources of ALA.

Studies suggest that omega-3 fats exert their influence by increasing the production of hormone-like, anti-inflammatory compounds. There is growing evidence that inflammation plays a role in the development of cancer.

Other much-studied cancer-protective substances within walnuts include gamma-tocopherol (a form of vitamin E), phytosterols and flavonoids. Lab studies funded by AICR and other organizations have shown that these compounds may slow cancer cell growth and fight inflammation.

"If it's not the omega-3 acting alone to prevent cell proliferation, it may be a synergy among some or all of the compounds," said Collins. "Each one of these substances might be present in too small an amount on its own, but when they all come at [the tumor] from different directions, they may have an effect."

A Healthy, but Calorie-Dense, Food
Walnuts also contain fiber, which studies have shown can help with weight control. One caution, notes AICR's Collins, is that walnuts pack a lot of calories into a relatively small portion.

"Calories still count, even in a healthy food that has plenty of nutrients," she said. "It's not a matter of adding extra handfuls of walnuts to your normal diet, it's about substituting walnuts for other foods so you don't increase your calorie consumption." Because once you start gaining weight, Collin said, "you start to cross out a lot of the health benefits."

The mice in the current study were eating enough walnuts to account for 18 percent of total daily calories (an amount equivalent to 370 calories in a 2,000-calorie human diet).

Dr. Hardman co-authored the study with Gabriela Ion, Ph.D., also of the Marshall University School of Medicine in West Virginia.

The study was funded by grants from the American Institute for Cancer Research with a matching grant from the California Walnut Commission. Neither group had any input on the study design or findings.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:32 AM   #2
Rich66

So..should they be eaten with chemo or AIs?

Old 10-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
RobinP

Interesting Post On Benefits Of Walnuts, Thanks.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
Rich66

Any propellor heads think it could conflict with chemo a la antioxidants?

Old 10-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #5
chrisy

First, let me disclaim - I am most definitely not a propellerhead...

One thing I notice on the attached study is the "non walnut" group was instead supplemented with an Omega6 laden corn oil. So further messing up the omega 3/6 balance.

I also note the funding of the study - (California walnut commission). So there may have been some bias.

That said, there is an abundance of evidence supporting the view that walnuts are a very good (even "super") food and I'm not surprised that in some settings they would have anti-cancer effects.

The study notes vitamin E content, but most studies and concerns about antioxidants working against chemotherapies are really looking more at megadoses and supplements vs. nutrients coming from food. My take on it, which my onc supports, is that eating healthy foods in "normal" quantities at worst falls into the can't hurt, might help category. I doubt eating the quantity of walnuts noted would interfere with the action of chemo.

Personally, I don't discount the abundant evidence of the anti-cancer action of certain foods just because they lack double blind placebo based studies.

By the way, I just finished eating a pumpkin - flaxseed muffin with dried cranberries and WALNUTS...it was yummy. So I guess we all have our biases.

Check with your mom's oncologist, as always; but my guess is walnuts would be ok not only because of the nutritional value but also because they are calorie dense, which I think would be helpful at this point.
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
R.B.

Can you post the link to the trial Chrisy please.

I think you are asking the right questions. Walnuts are very high in Omega six but come with some three, and corn oil has no three.

Walnuts are high in antioxidants but one would need more info.

I would be cautious to make them a regular dietary item because of the high Omega 6 in walnuts - but much better than refined high 6 vegetable oils.

We do not need much Omega 6 to be healthy - maybe a max of 2% of calories.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
Jackie07

My Mother has been sending me walnuts from overseas for more than a year now. (My siblings did not tell her about my first bout of breast cancer in 2003.) She had non-hogekins lymphoma surgery and treatment back in 1998. So she's also a cancer fighter and cancer survivor. At 85, I'll have to say she is a poster 'great-grandmom'.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
Rich66

Any further thoughts on this?