HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-09-2014, 05:27 AM   #1
linn65

TCM Acupuncture HELPS!!!

Finally,

I sometimes can be slow with things....Well, I decided to try Acupuncture for my shoulder/neck pain since my last surgery it just has not gotten better. I tried trigger shots and it did nothing, and the doctor talked about x-ray guided shots in my spine which has not set well within.

Yesterday, I took the plunge and went to see Dr. Jin whom as studied TCM since he was 16 years old AND I am a believer in it!!

He felt in 12 hours I would notice a difference, and I go back Monday. Today, I noticed a difference it is not 100%, but I do noticed a difference!!!

I loved the teaching behind it all and it makes sense!! He told me I had very LOW energy and my meridian channels had several weak points. My spleen and Kidney channels had several areas of weaknesses. He said we will work on the pain in your shoulder/neck (he gave me hope), then we will work on the energy part. He said the BC came from your liver and it had been blocked or something like that for years and we can prevent several diseases and illnesses with harmony in your complete mind, body and spirit!!!

I go back on Monday!!!
7/20/12 biopsy done. ER+ 30 PR -, HER+++,k167 80% Grade 2
9/2012 biopsy on lymph node - showed malignant

9/2012 Pre-adjunctive TCH chemo.

12/6/12 MRI after Pre-adj.
Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

12/18/2012 left masectomy with axillary nodes
Size 3.2 CM, Nottingham score 9/9
Grade 3, no evidence of in situ carcinoma
Areas of angiolymphatic are identified
Carcinoma is 0.5 cm from inked deep
Margin of excision
Attached axillary lymph nodes: metastatic
Carcinoma in 6 of 8 nodes.
Size of largest node 1.5 cm
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

2/27/13 6 weeks of IMRT radiation finished

2/2013 Started on Tamoxifan 5 years.

8/2013 will take last Herceptin, 17 treatments total every 3 weeks.

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

August 28, 2013 DIEP flap on the left breast.
February 2014 Nip & Tuck
March 14, 2014 nipple reconstruction and removed port.
August 14, 2014 lump in lymph nodes under arm and above clavicle. Stage IV
August 28, 2014 herceptin And projeta starting and port put back in.

3/18/15 stopped arimidex.
3/18/15 progression....Tdm1
linn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #2
'lizbeth

Re: TCM Acupuncture HELPS!!!

Ummmm . . . did I not tell you to try acupuncture?

If you have an overall Qi deficiency you should try some simple Qi Gong exercises to increase it. They are very relaxing.

From your personality, I picked up the earth (spleen) disharmony and the wood (liver) disharmony. The water (kidney) disharmony is probably coming from the shock of the cancer diagnosis and the strong fear of recurrence. Strong emotion has an effect on the body.

I am so happy that you went to Dr. Jin. I would be interested in hearing more about the Liver meridian on developing your cancer. If my memory is right, the liver is the Commander in the body and has authority over the lungs. Mucus is one of the pathologies that causes tumors in eastern medicine. Mucus is from a disharmony in the metal element, and metal is associated with the Lungs and Large Intestines.

Eastern medicine uses similar words to Western, but they have different meanings. In Western medicine when you talk about the kidneys, liver, spleen or lungs - it refers to the organ. In Eastern medicine when you talk about Kidneys, Liver, Spleen or Lungs it refers to not only the organ, but the functions (expanded beyond western understanding), and the entire meridian that runs through the body.

You are going to love acupuncture! So excited that you did this.
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
linn65

Lizbeth,

It was VERY fascinating!! I was like the Karate Kid and he was my sensi (sp)..

And you are exactly right my; The earth (spleen) disharmony and The water (kidney) are deficient which in turn causes VERY LOW ENERGY which he repeated all through out 2.5 hours of my visit!! My pulse is faint and my tongue is pale and that is low energy!!

He said we will work on my pain first. I laid on my side and he would insert a needle then wiggle it around until it made me say "ouch" for a brief second. He repeated that process I don't know 5 or 6 times, turned lights off and left me for 10 minutes to relax. Every once in a while I would feel like feather light sensation as I was laying there. He came back in and wiggled them again and another 10 minutes laying on the table. I kept reading the chart on the wall because I wasn't supposed to move so that became my focal point. Of course after that 10 minutes he came back, and I had questions.

After he pulled the needles out he put something on each area that felt like a vaccum suction type thing where each needle was and left those things on there for a couple minutes and we discussed the elements.

What are the exercises???

I go again on Monday!! What really SUCKS is my insurance will not cover it, but I will go anyway if I can have great results!!

Results: Modest Decrease in size of left breast malignancy As well as the associated satellite lesions and auxiliary Adenopathy compared to prior study. Doctors hoped for better but good response it didn't grow.

Margin of excision
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

February 2014 Nip & Tuck

Old 05-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
'lizbeth

Fascinating. If you weren't have a country away I could get some practice reading your pulses. I do Jin Shin pulse reading which is different from the TCM pulse readings. The eastern healing art of Jin Shin is based on an ancient Japanese healing art and incorporates technique from other countries.

I did take an acupuncture theory class with the most amazing teacher. She loves TCM and has been studying and practicing it for many many years. It can be incredibly complex and confusing, until some of the basics sink in.

What I love most about it is the consideration of mind, body and spirit. TCM treats the entire person, not just the physical body.

I have a book on Qi Gong, let me review and find a good video for you to follow.

To your good health!
Old 05-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
linn65

That is EXACTLY what I liked about it, and I told the people I worked with today that too because it seems like common sense that the Mind, Body, and spirit being in unity. Not one alone can cure or resolve anything but the perfect synergy or Jin/Jang are inline then you have health.

I watched a video last night and this guy had so much Jin meaning spirit he actually shocked people by the touch.

It is all new, but it gave me hope, and it was so fascinating. I look forward to learning more and more.

Margin of excision
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

February 2014 Nip & Tuck

Old 05-09-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
Carol Ann

Would acupuncture help the neuropathy in my feet?

CA
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

Nov 25, 2013 Begin 6 rounds TCH.

March 10, 2014 Just finished 6th and LAST Chemo today, YAAAAAY!

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

June 2014 Begin Fosamax to prevent osteoporosis; bone scan revealed osteopenia

Nov 17, 2014 FINAL Herceptin!

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

Dec 17, 2014 Port is OUT!

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Carol Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:51 AM   #7
'lizbeth

Hey Carol Ann,

Another fellow Paget's I see.

I would certainly try acupuncture for the neuropathy. Spleen, Stomach, Liver, Gallbladder, Kidney and Bladder meridians are in the feet. The stomach meridian connect to the eye and I notice you have excessive tearing. It is worth a try. It was perfect for the aches from chemo and Herceptin. I felt much better from weekly treatments.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #8
Carol Ann

I will check it out, thanks 'Lizbeth!

CA
July 24, 2013: "Infected" Right Nipple and benign cyst removed, pathology report revealed Paget's, DCIS, and ILC 1.25 cm, ER+/Pro+/HER2 equivocal, Grade 2 under benign cyst, previous diagnostic mammo/ultrasound said I was perfectly healthy in both breasts.

Aug 18, 2013: MRI report says Left breast is perfectly healthy "consistent with previous studies".

Sept 2013: I insist on a bilateral mastectomy anyway. Too nervewracking to let left breast remain with higher risk after 3 cancers in right, nipple in right is already gone anyhow.

Sept 18, 2013: Bilateral mastectomy, 11 right nodes removed, ALL negative BUT -- ER+/PRO+/HER2+ tumor, 1.0 cm, Grade 2 found in a piece of "grossly unremarkable" breast tissue from prophylactic mastectomy of left breast, no nodes removed.

Oct 25, 2013: 13 left side nodes removed, ALL negative, Stage 1 across the board, NO RADS needed, YAAAAY! Port also installed.

March 24, 2014 Echocardiogram to make sure I'm still good for Herceptin every 3 weeks.

March 31, 2014 Echo results NORMAL, first Herceptin all by itself. Now if only my eyes would stop streaming from the Taxotere ... :)

April 21, 2014 Started Arimidex and therapy for "mild" lymphedema in left hand and arm

May 2014 Therapy completed, I have sleeves and gloves for both arms, a Flexi touch lymph pump to hook up to for an hour every day, and I've become an arm bandaging expert. :)

Dec 4, 2014 My right thigh muscle has been extra achy for days ... I discover a blister rash cluster on the side of my right thigh while taking a shower. Port appointment cancelled until Dec 17, my doc is working me in tomorrow afternoon to see me and the rash. My muscle at least feels less achy.

Dec 5, 2014 Yep, I have shingles. Boo! I start acyclovir and also have a prescription for a painkiller just in case for over the weekend.

January 2016 Shingles again and this time it started where my left breast (where the hidden HER2+++ tumor was!) used to be. My onc nurse got me a same day appointment to see my doc when I called and told her I had a rash on the site. The antiviral meds are working once again, though, so that is good news. :)
Old 05-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #9
IrvineFriend

My Grandmother is almost 101 and my Mother attributes it to her weekly acupuncture. I should be better about such things. I usually just have a glass of red wine when I come home from work for my mind, body and spiritual needs

Diagnosed with DCIS Oct. 2012

Bilateral Dec. 19, 2012
IDC, ER/PR-, Her2+++, Grade 3
Stage IIIa
15.6 cm
4/14 nodes + macrometastases
First thing each morning, I try on my bathing suit. Then, nothing worse can happen the rest of the day.
IrvineFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
'lizbeth

I indulge in the red wine myself.

I have been indulging in shoe therapy, lol. If any more shoes show up at the house my hubbie is going to be unhappy - oops. I realize I hadn't bought many shoes for years after the initial diagnosis and during treatment and the recovery aftermath. Now I'm going into a new phase of life after cancer - and darn it, I want to look goood! I got the greatest dress to wear out for my anniversary next week. Shopping therapy, lol.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #11
Carol Ann

That's wonderful 'Lizbeth! I laughed out loud about your shoes and Julie's wine ... you both made my day today, thanks!

CA

Old 05-12-2014, 06:59 AM   #12
linn65

Well Julie and lizbeth,

I indulged in 4 pairs of shoes, 4 new pretty bras from VS along with 10 pretty panties, and to finish it off I bought myself some new capri jeans and a few shirts!!! And for the first time I got 2 colors of highlights put in my hair which I have not been able to do for 1 year and 8 months!!

Lizbeth, Accu every week????? Geez, it is 65 bucks a trip maybe I can ask him to buy 2 get 1 free. He has some machine that he is going to put on the needles today to stimulate my neck/shoulder electrically. Have you done that??? My neck today is maybe 10% improved, and I want it to be ALOT more improved. I wonder how many more appts???

Margin of excision
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

February 2014 Nip & Tuck

Old 05-12-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
'lizbeth

LMAO, so you bought 4 pairs of shoes, 4 bras & 10 panties from VS, jean capris, and few tops - and you paid dearly to have 2 color highlights in your hair? Yet you can't? afford $65 for weekly acupuncture which has already decreased your pain 10%?

Suffer . . .
Old 05-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #14
linn65

Don't be sooooo mean!! I am trying to look good / feel good kind of thing!!! You are so passive/aggressive!! Well, actually I bought 2 new pairs of tennis shoes, 2 new pairs of casual shoes, and 1 pair of sandal's!! I have not bought new Bra's/panties since treatment, and they had such pretty spring colors...Then I did buy 5 shirts to go with my 4 new capri pants!! An extra you know just in case! I am trying to get my Jin/Jang in check....

You know it is MIND, BODY, AND SPIRIT !! My body needed new things and it made my mind feel better, therefore my spirit was lifted!!!! Geez, Ilzabeth you are being a little passive/aggressive!!!!

Is your element fire??? Or Water like a WET blanket!!!! LOL

Margin of excision
Extracapsular
ER + 73%, PR+2%, HER2+

BRCA1 & BRAC2 - Negative

February 2014 Nip & Tuck

Old 05-12-2014, 08:01 AM   #15
Carol Ann

Ok, I am laughing hysterically about your last posts, Linn65 and 'Lizbeth! Just popped in to post that I have an appointment on Wednesday with my chiropractor for an acupuncture consult.

And its FREE! Even better. I had stopped going for my neck treatments for migraines when I started having surgery upon surgery last summer. (No more migraines since chemo, YAAAY!)

CA

Old 05-12-2014, 09:57 AM   #16
'lizbeth

CA: Welcome to the pincushion club!

Linn - just think of it as designer acupuncture and the $65 will seem like a bargain! Health by Dr. Jin - its a very Yin/Yang kind of thing.

I know . . . I am just so very passive/aggressive, grrr, lol!

Are you inferring that I have a fire/water disharmony? I am inclined to agree, lol!