HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-07-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
LizzElliot

Nipple sparing -- risky or safe?

May I get your thoughts, experience or any stats you've seen on nipple-sparing vs. not?
And also, any of the same on risks of doing double mastectomy when there is no currently detectable cancer in the other breast?

The reason I ask --

Surgeon asked me if I wanted nipple-sparing for my upcoming mastectomy. I hadn't really even thought about it. I've always worn padded bras since I personally am not a fan of the nipples popping out under my shirt.
But at the same time, I'm not opposed to the idea of nipple-sparing in that anything that makes things visually less different for me may perhaps have a psychological advantage. Again, I don't know...I'm not attached one way or the other.

Anyway, a friend just wrote to me that nipple-sparing has been shown to increase odds of a reoccurrence, which of course, I don't want.

And on the double-mastectomy, while my oncologist and surgeon support me in wanting a double mastectomy and believe it makes perfect sense given my family history, etc., when I met with me oncologist the first time, she mentioned that while she is in full support of double for me, she also wanted me to know that is not an assurance that another B/C would not occur in the other breast, but would effectively, then, push it further into the chest or body. ie: making it more complicated to remove surgically. I don't think she said this to scare me, but just to be thorough and offer all sides of what the current trends may or may not be.

Please, any or all who can comment, I would so appreciate! I hope this is not a redundant question!

Thank you!
lizz
LizzElliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
snolan

Re: Nipple sparing -- risky or safe?

There are always risks with every discission, all you can do is take all the advice and go with what your heart feels is right. If this stupid stuff comes back its going to come back, you can second guess any discission that way. We will always have that black cloud hanging over us. I chose double mastectomy I couldn't have nipple sparing cuz the cancer was right up to my skin. I have been happy with my discission in every way and am 4 years out since my surgery.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
crb

My breast surgeon didn't give me an option for my right side - cancer started in the duct, and that travels to the nipple, so leaving it there was a chance of recurrence. Since they were taking one side, I opted for taking both nipples, and I am leaning towards not reconstructing/tatooing them back (had immediate implant reconstruction at time of bmx). I was never a fan of "headlights" and love being able to not wear a bra at all! I do have some numbness along the incision, but that hasn't really bothered me.

I am 7 weeks out from surgery and NO regrets!
1/29/14 BRCA normal!
1/31/14 Sentinel node biopsy
2/5/14 Nodes are CLEAR! Stage I/IIa, N0, M0
2/13/14 Start Chemo, 6 rounds for 18 weeks prior to surgery
2/28/14 Port placed
3/6/14 Chemo Round 2
3/27/14 Chemo Round 3 (halfway done!)
4/11/14 u/s shows 2cm tumor about 2x5mm now!
4/17/14 Chemo Round 4
5/8/14 Chemo Round 5 and Daughter's Birthday :)
5/27/14 Last Chemo Party - Round 6
6/17 14 Herceptin only until next Feb.
6/20/14 BMX/Immediate reconstruction DONE
6/30/14 Path report back...NED!
crb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:12 AM   #4
LizzElliot

thank you both. I spent the evening reading and I guess NS is kind of new. But it surprises me that my doc thinks I'm a candidate since my tumor was Grade 3 and HER2. I'm reading those are kind of warning signs to not do, perhaps...

And I suppose I had Nipple Sparing surgery somewhat confused with the "reconstruction" of a nipple and areola later (-- presumably by the Plastic Surgeon at 2nd surgery when he switches the spacer for the implant from what I can tell...?)

Is it that the Nipple Sparing Surgery part is done by the breast surgeon, while performing mastectomy -- ie: that process is more driven by breast surgeon expertise?

Either way, I'm calling my surgeon today to let her know I don't feel I need Nipple Sparing procedures. I'm perfectly fine with nipple and areola reconstruction later on.
As it stands now in my mind, I probably won't even do the nipple and areola reconstruction.

Yes, that headdlight thing! Thanks CRB for reminding me what the term is. ha ha. And as for being in a gym and showering, I'm really not concerned with that aspect of not having a nipple or areola. I think it is just fine if women know I went through it if it causes more awareness!
Old 08-08-2014, 07:23 AM   #5
roz123

I was just telling a friend the other day I wish I had done nipple sparring...I saw another BC gal with that surgery and her breasts look so natural. Yes they have no feeling and it is a bit riskier to leave them (not sure of the percentage of increased risk of a local reccurence but it was quite low). I think if you are a lumpectomy candidate you would be a NSM candidate.
my surgeon does not believe in them, which I think is kind of old school. The younger surgeons do them all the time. If the incision is done under the breast, wow they look so good!

I would ask if the location of your cancer makes this risky or not and then just go with personal preference
surgery -pCR 0/2 nodes
25 rads
herceptin x18
tamox
prophy bi-msx with TE's oct 15/12
LD flap reconstruction (PM me if you want the details)
zoladex shots monthly until SOFT studies come out
roz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:07 AM   #6
jaykay

I had nipple sparing - my plastic surgeon asked me if I wanted it and I said as long as the breast surgeon was okay with it, then sure, let's give it a shot. I'm happy with the results and would have been okay if I wasn't a candidate.

I didn't consider it risky at all based on the location of my tumor.

REgards,

Janis
BRCA 1 and 2 negative
October, 2012: Bi Mast with tissue expanders, port placement
Final Path: IDC 2.8cm, DCIS, 1/4 sentinal nodes positive (@#$%). Stage IIB
Nov 29, 2012: Begin TCH/6x/every 3 wks, H for 1 year/every 3 weeks.
March 14, 2013: Finished chemo
April 9, 2013: Begin radiation 28x
May 22, 2013: Finished rads
June 1st, 2013: Started Aromasin for 5 yrs.
July 15, 2013: Switched to Letrozole (Femara). Probably for the rest of my life
October 16, 2013: Exchange surgery
October 31, 2013: Finished Herceptin
December 5, 2013: Port removed
Glad this year is over!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:35 PM   #7
LizzElliot

hmm...much to mull over. I still have 3 weeks to mull, I guess...
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 PM   #8
CoolBreeze

Okay, so I don't know anything about nipple sparing but I would go by what your doctor says as far as relapse goes rather than your friend. So that's a question to ask.

As for a double - here is a study in the Journal Oncology that shows a massive jump in rates of double mastectomy in women with DCIS and early stage invasive cancer.

http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/27/9/1362.full.pdf

This spike has happened despite numerous studies that show that there is no survival benefit for doing this type of surgery.

I wrote a blog post about it here and in that there is also a link to a New York Times article on the subject written this weekend.

http://www.butdoctorihatepink.com/20...st-cancer.html

(My title is copying the times article, don't judge based on that!)

I say that not for you to read my blog but to read the responses from the women who have been on both sides of this situation. It will give you a nice overview. Nobody pushes one thing over another, just women sharing their experiences.

My only warning to you is that mastectomy is not always benign. I had a uni so only removed the cancerous breast. I am not alone when I share the problems I have had: numbness, frozen shoulders three times, loss of function and range of motion in my right arm and chest, back problems, pain since the day of exchange, muscle spasms and an itch that will not go away. The implant is also very uncomfortable, is cold, feels unnatural but that happens to most.

This is, unfortunately, not uncommon. While it doesn't happen to everybody, and may not happen to you, it is a possibility you should be aware of. I would not have believed I could have had all these issues because I was so strong and healthy - but I have. I am very, very grateful I only did a uni because having these problems on both sides - not being able to raise both arms for the rest of my life -that would be very difficult, especially with all that I've been through.

Many women, but not me, have infections and reject the implant. It's really not a benign procedure and it is nothing like enhancement.

The alternative side to that is I didn't get a very nice reconstruction. It looks fine in clothes but not in clothes it is not even. However, evenness is not as important to me as sensation and I at least have feeling in one breast, so I don't mind and honestly, where my cancer was located I was not going to get an even result either way. I lost my infra-mammary fold and that can't be recreated so there would have been no use in removing the other side.

Here is a question to ask your doctor: if you decide to only remove the cancerous breast and decide in a year you decide that you haven't had any issues with function and don't mind the numbness, then can you get a prophy on the other side?

There is the Women's Cancer Right's Act which states a woman is allowed to have surgeries and revisions to try to achieve symmetry but I am unsure how long you have to do it. Can you do it ten years down the road?

Remember, implants are not lifetime devices and have to be replaced so more surgeries are likely no matter what.

If there is no medical reason to remove the healthy breast, then you may have time to make up your mind and decide. Since there is no survival benefit than I think it might be a good way to bridge the gap and wait and see if you are allowed.

And, of course, this is an extremely personal decision. If you have the BRCA gene than you probably should do a prophy, and there are many other reasons why it can be done. I am not telling you which way to turn at all, I am just sharing what happened to me so you can realize it is not the "perky new boobs" you probably have been told you'll get.

Good luck with your decision! *big hugs*

08/17/09 Dx'd.
Multifocal/multicentric IDC, largest 3.4 cm, associated ADH, LCIS, DCIS
HER2+ ER+/PR- Grade 3, Node Negative

10/20/2009: Right mastectomy, reconstruction with TE
12/02/2009: Six rounds TCH, switched to Taxol halfway through due to neuropathy
03/31/2010: Finished chemo
05/01/2010: Began tamoxifen, the worst drug ever
11/18/2010: Reconstruction completed
12/02/2010: Finished herceptin
05/21/2011: Liver Mets. Quit Tamoxifen
06/22/2011: Navelbine/Zometa/Herceptin
10/03/2011: Liver Resection, left lobe. Microwave ablation, right lobe - going for cure!
11/26/2011: C-Diff Superbug Infection, "worst case doctor had seen in 20 years"
03/28/2012: Progression in ablated section of the liver - no more cure. Started Abraxane, continue herceptin/zometa
10/10/2012: Progression continues, started Halaven, along with herceptin and zometa.
01/15/2013: Progression continues, started Gemzar and Perjeta, an unusual combo, continuing with herceptin and zometa
03/13/2013: Quit Gemzar, body just won't handle it. Staying on herceptin, zometa and perjeta.
04/03/2013: CT shows 50% regression in tumor, so am starting back on Gemzar with dose reduction, staying with perjeta/herceptin/zometa. Can't argue with success!
05/09/2013: Discussing SBRT with Radiology due to inability of bone marrow to recover from chemo.
06/07/2013: Fiducial placement for SBRT
07/03/2013: Chemo discontinued, on Perjeta, Herceptin and Zometa alone
07/25/2013: SBRT (gamma knife) begins
08/01/2013: SBRT completed
08/15/2013: STABLE! continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
06/18/2014: ***** NED!!!!***** continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin, Zometa
01/29/2014: Still NED. continuing with Perjeta, Herceptin. Zometa lowered to every 3 months instead of monthly.
11/08/2015: Progression throughout abdomen and lungs. Started TDM-1, aka Kadcyla. Other meds discontinued. Remission was nice while it lasted.

5/27/18: Stable. Kadcyla put me right back in the barn. I have two teeny spots on my lungs that are metabolically inactive, and liver is clean.

I’m beating this MFer. I was 51 when this started and had two kids, 22 and 12. Now I’m 60. My oldest got married and trying to start s family. My youngesg graduates from Caltech this June. My stepdaughter gave me grandkids. Life is fantastic.
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #9
LizzElliot

Thank you so much, Cool Breeze. This gives me a lot to go on! Hugs! lizz
Old 08-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
Shirley

Lizz,

I had a unilateral nipple sparing mastectomy one year ago, followed by radiation and Herceptin. My docs were fine with nipple sparing and I decided to take the risk, especially since I was going to have radiation and did not have metastasis. I also do not have any family history of BC. I'm glad that I made that decision and in the off chance cancer returns I will deal with it.

As far as a prophy mx, I agree with Cool Breeze: there is no evidence to suggest increased survival if you remove the healthy breast. Between the two issues--prophylaxis mx and nipple sparing, the latter probably has the biggest association with recurrence. They say that a recurrence in the opposite breast is a completely separate, unrelated cancer.

Keeping as much as I could was important to my sense of self. I would have chosen differently if I was younger or had a family history, as both of those factors seem to correlate to increased risk. A reconstructed nipple or tattoo is one extra surgery and I don't think I would have been ok with the results.

Expanders are hard as a rock and I'm glad I don't have them on both sides. My plastic surgeon emphasized to me recently that silicone implants will not make the breast anywhere near what it used to be. I want diep reconstruction but was advised that I didn't have enough fat (my regular ps disagreed--hey thanks--so he wants me to get a second opinion). This surgery would be out of question if I had both breasts removed.

In the end you have to go with your own instincts, especially if your docs have given you the choice. Some women don't want to live with the risk, which I understand. Either way I will live for the rest of my life with a sense of risk that the cancer will return, but this would be true even with a double mx.

I don't want to tell you one way or the other; these are just my immediate thoughts about it. I hope you make a decision that is just right for you. You'll be having your surgery at about the same time I did last year. September is a nice month to take some time for yourself to recover.

Best wishes to you,

Shirley
  • Neoadjuvant TCH chemo started 5-15-13 (4 rounds, 3 weeks apart)
  • Unilateral Mx w/expander 8-22-13 (right side)
  • 5/5 nodes Neg
  • clear margins but close. Tumor at removal down to 2.2 cm.
  • Radiation 6 wks starting 10-17-13.
  • Herceptin every 3 weeks until 4-23-14
  • DIEP/Mastopexy 10-8-14, U of WA
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #11
norkdo

my vote: do it.

mast/lymphectomy: june 7 2011, 5/20 cancerous nodes. stage 3a before radiation oncologist during our first mtg on july 15th says he found cancer on the lymph node of my breast bone. Now stage 3b.
her2+++, EN-, PN-. Rt brst tumors:3 at onset, 4.5 cm was the big one
chemos: 3fec's followed by 3 taxotere, total of 18 wks chemo. sept: halfway thru chemo the mastectomy scar decides to open and ooze pus. (not healed before chemo) eventually with canasten powder sent by friend in ny (illegal in canada) it heals.
radiations:although scheduled to begin 25 january 2012, I am so terrified by it (rads cause other cancers) I don't start til february, miss a bunch, reschedule them all and finally finish 35 rads mid april. reason for 7 extra atop the 28 scheduled is that when i first met my rads oncologist he said he saw a tumor on the lymph node of my breastbone. extra 7 are special kind of beam used for that lymphnode. rads onc tells me nobody ever took so long to do rads so he cannot speak for effectiveness. trials had been done only on consecutive days so......we'll see.....
10 mos of herceptin started 6 wks into chemo. canadian onc says 10 mos is just as effective as the full yr recommended by dr. slamon......so we'll see..completed july 2012.
Sept 18 2012: reconstruction and 3 drains. fails. i wear antibiotic pouch on my job for two months and have 60 consecutive days visiting a nursing centre where they apply burn victims' silver paper and clean the oozing infection daily. silicone leaks out daily. plastic surgeon in caribbean. emergency dept wont remove "his" work. He finally appears and orders me in into an emergency removal of implant. I make him promise no drains and I get my way. No infection as a result. Chest looks like a map of Brazil. Had a perfectly good left breast on Sept 17th but surgeon wanted to "save another woman an operation" ? so he had crashed two operations together on my left breast, foregoing the intermediary operation where you install an expander. the first surgeon a year earlier had flat out refused to waste five hours on his feet taking both boobs. flat out refusal. between the canadian health system saving money and both these asses, I got screwed. who knows when i can next get enough time off work (i work for myself and have no substitute when my husband is on contract) to get boobs again. arrrgh.

I have a blog where I document this trip and vent.
www.nora'scancerblog.blogspot.com . I stopped the blog before radiation. I think the steroids made me more angry and depressed and i just hated reading it anymore
norkdo is offline   Reply With Quote