HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-03-2007, 10:01 PM   #1
juanita

sleep

How many of you have trouble falling asleep regularly? How often is that? How soon after diagnosis did you start having problems? Do you take anything for it? How often do you take it? How long have you been taking it?
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 11:57 PM   #2
hutchibk

I have had the benefit of Lunesta for the last year. Herceptin and Taxol seemed to create regular sleeplessness for me and the sleep deficiency was becoming unbearable. I only take it every once in a while, and never more than 2 nights in a row, but it was a god send and a sanity saver. I get the best sleep ever when I take one, and I awake 8-9 hours later TOTALLY refreshed with no hangover. I take the lowest dosage possible. It helps me fall asleep (usually 15-20 min after taking) and helps me stay asleep.

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 04:49 AM   #3
Sheila

Juanita
Like Brenda, The Taxol Herceptin Avastin regime has really played havoc with my sleep...if I do fall asleep, I wake up 1 -2 hours later and can't go back to sleep...it is awful. I have been using Advil PM with Benedryl in it, but its not working too well anymore....
Sleepless in Illinois

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
fauxgypsy

I have had trouble for years with sleep. I have fibromyalgia in addition to everything else. Prior to my cancer diagnosis I was taking Restoril. It works for me most of the time without any draggy side effects. Still, I am sleeping much better now that I am just getting Herceptin and Femara.

Leslie
ER+/PR+, her2 +++, nuclear grade 3 of 3
February 20-PET scan showed something on liver. No biopsy.
March- Started carboplatin, herceptin, taxol on a four week cycle
May 3- Pet scan, with intent to do a biopsy, found nothing, liver or breast- no biopsy because there is nothing to biopsy
June 21- new onc, very concerned that there had been no biopsy,
June 18th-CAT scan, bone scan-negative
August 7th - Brain MRI-negative
August 9th- mastectomy, all pathology negative
January 2008 still NED! New oncologist -herceptin for full year after chemo- until July, and tamoxifen---negative scans since May '07
July 2008-Finished Herceptin!
fauxgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
PinkGirl

sleep/no sleep

Hi Juanita
I had lots of problems sleeping (anxiety) when first diagnosed. I used Ativan then, and had a good sleep, but had the Ativan hangover the next day. During chemo I didn't use anything because each day was different for me - I wouldn't sleep well for a few days and then I would be so tired I would sleep for 2 days. Now I am okay because I have a "general" fatigue all the time and I fall asleep easily. At one time I also used Amitriptline (25 mg.) and it worked great after I adjusted to taking it. The first week or so I was a zombie during the day. Now, if I need something the odd time, I use Ativan.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:24 AM   #6
Brenda_D

I went thru a period of sleeping in fits and starts after dx. My GP put me on Prozac and it helped for awhile.
Now I'm having trouble going to sleep. Laying awake until after midnight or more. Once I'm asleep, I sleep good.
I'm going to have try something to get to sleep faster.

I'm currently on Herceptin only. I wasn't aware it affected sleep.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Emelie

Hi Juanita

I have used Ambien CR and regular Ambien with great results. They both have helped me get some sleep. Herceptin alone has caused me to lose a lot of sleep. I usually only need it one or two nights a week. Ask you doctor for something that you can use when you really need a good nights sleep.
Good luck with the Z's,
Emelie
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:28 AM   #8
LAURIE

Lunesta did help me a lot during Taxol. I don't take it too often now, but do occasionally to help me fall asleep. The only reason I cannot fall asleep these days is because I am thinking about work or if I know I have to get up early. I take the higher dose 3mg. Usually about once a wee or less. I have not had any bad side effects at all.

Laurie
Diagonsed 8/10/06 (found own lump)at 35
Her 2 +++, er-/pr-
4 A/C 8-29-06 to 11-06
Lumpectomy, node dissection- 11/30/06
Pathology report stage IIIC
1 tumor 3 cm
10 of 15 nodes +
12 Taxol 12/18/06-03/06/07
Herceptin 12/18/06- 12/11/2007 done!!! yeah!!!
33 rads started 3/22/07, done!! yeah!! 5/07/07
Lymphedema diagonsed 2/1/07
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
port out 1/10/08
pregnant after 6 yeas of trying- due mid feb.
Ryder David Kessel Hunter born feb.6th 2009

LAURIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
MJo

My sleep patterns didn't return to normal until I stopped Herceptin. I used Xanax to cope. Sleep deprivation is a very real side effect of all the treatment.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #10
KRISS

I have no problem falling asleep it is staying asleep that kills me. I started taking Ambien CR a couple nights a week and it seems to give me the best results.
PARTIAL 12/18/06
HER2+ /ER+(75%) PR+(5%)
4 DD AC CHEMO STARTING 1/10/07
4 DD Taxol Starting 3/5/07
1year weekly Herceptin starting 3/5/07
finished 2/18/08
changed to every 3 weeks 4/23/07
completed 33 radiation treatments 7/6/07
TAH and BSO 9/24/07
start Femarra 10/8/07
Started Neritinib trial 12/14/09
KRISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #11
dorinda

i work nites so my sleep patterns are all messed up. after my chemo i am wired for about 2 days and cannot sleep due to decadron and then after that i am kinda fatigued. when i have trouble sleeping i take a tylenol pm. i have wanted to ask for something but never have.
nov 2006 dx. with bc. 3 tumors removed from left breast lumpectomy done. her2 postive er+pr-. scans showed extensive spine mets(to many to count) ,3 tumors on left rib,one tumor on skull and 3 tumors on liver. stage IV from get go. dec.2006 started chemo taxol and herceptine wkly. zometa monthly. rescanned in march 2007, liver tumors shrinking a little. bones to early to tell but pain is gone in my back. rescanned in june 2007. liver mets gone, bone scan looking better but still alot in my spine. still on taxol and herceptine. zometa monthly. rescanned in august due to ca 2729 going up. liver still good , mets in ribs and skull gone but multiple areas still on lumbar and sacrum. mri of brain august 07 negative for mets.I AM BELIEVLING GOD FOR MY HEALING.
dorinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #12
weezie1053

Red face

Never took a sleeping pill in my life...until chemo. I was wired while on AC/Cytoxin and Taxol. Onc prescribed Ambien, and it made a world of difference in the quality of my life. I worked through most of my chemo, and I needed whatever rest I could muster. Now, I occasionally break one in half. This website keeps me awake at night. I feel like I need to check in every couple of days so I don't miss something. Went to my second support group meeting tonight, and I told my husband, I just feel like I have learned so much from the website vs. what those gals at the support group are sharing.
  • Taxol/Herceptin combo- 12 weekly treatments;
  • Completed chemo - 2/07; completed restruction 02/07; reduction of left breast.
  • BRCA 1 and 2 negative - 6/15/07;DX high risk for distant recurrence
  • MRI, 08/02/07 - NED
  • 1 year Anniversary - 09/07; completed Herceptin 11/07.
  • Mammo 02/14/08 - NED; MRI - 08/2008 - NED
  • 2 year Anniversary - 09/08
  • Mammo 02/09 - NED; MRI - 08/09 - NED
  • 3rd year Anniversary - 09/09
  • 5th Annivery - 09/2011 - NED
weezie1053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #13
BonnieR

I suddenly had problems sleeping when I went off my HRT last year. Hot flashes, night sweats etc.. So I was taking one half of an Ambien. Then, when I got my diagnosis it got worse. My brain goes into overdrive as soon as I hit the pillow. So I listen to relaxation CDs at bedtime. But I also am now take Ambien CR every night prescribed by onc. I don't much care if I get dependent on it. I am also dependent on sleep.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #14
Lolly

I started having trouble falling asleep after starting Herceptin, but that was also when I was diagnosed with recurrent bc, stage 4, so I attributed it to anxiety. My PCP recommended a SSRI, which I still take(currently Celexa), and Tylenol PM. I switched to generic benedryl, and take 1/2 a pill nightly (12.5mg) along with 2 mg. Melatonin, about an hour before I go to bed.Usually I can get to sleep now within 15 minutes, unless I've forgotten to take my meds and then I have trouble again, but I don't know if it's anxiety from the bc or anxiety because I've forgotten my meds and am afraid I won't sleep!

<3 Lolly
Sept.'99 - Dx.Stage IIIB, IDC ER/PR-, HER2+++ by IHC, confirmed '04 by FISH. Left MRM, AC x's 4, Taxol x's 4, 33 Rads, finishing Tx May 2000. Jan.'01 - local/regional recurrence, Stage IV. Herceptin/Navelbine weekly till NED August 2001, then maintenance Herceptin. Right Mast. April 2002. Local/Regional recurrence April '04, Herceptin plus/minus chemo until May '07. Gemzar added from Feb.'07-April '07; Tykerb/Abraxane until August '07, back on Herceptin plus Taxotere and Xeloda Sept. '07. Stopped T/X Nov. '07, stopped Herceptin Dec. '07, started Avastin/Taxol/Carboplatin Dec. '07. Progression in chest skin, stopped TAC March '03, started radiation.

Herceptin has served as the "Backbone" of my treatment strategy for over 6 years, giving me great quality of life. In 2005, I was privileged to participate in the University of Washington/Seattle HER2 Vaccine Trial.
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #15
SusanC

I have had trouble sleeping for years (4-5 years). Prior to dx I was taking ambien. It would really help. The trouble was/is staying asleep. I often fall asleep and then wake up just minutes later with my heart beating fast. I usually read or computer solitare to fall asleep. I am getting good at solitare!
Susan C
SusanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #16
Ruth

I take a Lunesta if I need it and it works fine for me. I used to take Ambien during treatment and had one of those crazy sleep walking episodes so I stopped them. I woke up one morning and saw that a whole giant bag of cheese puffs was empty. I blamed my two oldest boys of raiding the pantry in the night and they told me they were innocent and I was the one who had crumbs all over my pj's and face! I had absolutely no memory of eating them and I had never done anything like that before.
Freaked me out!
I think it is completely normal to go through this especially reading all of the responses noted here. Since it has been a while since I stopped treatment, I have much less need for help but I like having it available if I need it.
Peace and pleasant dreams! Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:23 PM   #17
GemmaG

ambien...sleep walking/talking me

I don't post much but i read all the post almost every day. Ruth, I have the same thing with Ambien. I sleep walk! not eating though. Sleep talking on the phone?! I don't know. I don't know how to describe it. One time, I even text message my friend and don't remember it the next day. I just saw her reply to me. I still take it as needed but I'll make sure no phone or any gadget next to me :-)

Hugs,
Gemma
GemmaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #18
BonnieR

Susan C, I was having trouble staying asleep with the plain Ambien too. But Ambien CR made all the difference.
Ruth, I know sleep walking/eating is a scary business but I must say you painted a humorous picture!!! Your boys must have enjoyed "busting" you!

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:01 PM   #19
Sheila

OK, Now I'm worried...I finally asked the Dr for something for sleep today...real medicine I told her...I didn't sleep at all last night before going today, and today was my Decadron IV push day...so she ordered Ambien 10mg....if it doesn't help, I will ask for the Ambien CR......I just know I need to lock the kitchen cuboards so the fritos and cheetos are safe at night!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:48 PM   #20
Karen Weixel

I never had a problem sleeping until right after I completed AC & T and had just started Herceptin. After 2 months of not sleeping, my onc prescribed Lunesta. It really helps.

Karen
Karen Weixel is offline   Reply With Quote