HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-29-2005, 05:55 PM   #1
*_Lu Ann_*

Hi Lisa,

I havn't been on board for a while and don't know the outcome of the MRI you had of your spine. We were having some similar symptoms. I still have many tumors on my spine, but none that are impeding my spinal chord. I'm seeing a new doc. at University Hospital in Cleve., Ohio. I started gemjar and hercepton 2 weeks ago. I'm getting tx. every other week. Had second tx. today as my blood counts were good.

I hadn't had chemo or herceptin since the beginning of May, just zometa. It was great. My husband and I were able to get away for our anniversary and go to Hocking Hills in southern Ohio for 5 days. We had a wonderful time. We hiked about 3-4 miles a day, and climbed cliffs 300 ft. tall. It was an amazing accomplishment for me as I had a rough time walking across the street to get the mail 6 months ago.

I was really sad to come home and face the reality of more chemo and cancer. I've been fighting the depression I'm feeling with daily walks with my husband. I can't let myself get back to being as weak as I was.

Have you or any one else heard of essiac? It consists of 4 different herbs and is supposed to cure cancer. My friend brewed me up a batch and I drank it for about two weeks.(not long enough to see results) My doc said it won't hurt me to take it with chemo so I'm planning to order more from herbalhealer.com. They sell both the essiac and a bulk version which is cheaper then the essiac. A Canadian women named Rene Caissse (essiac spelled backwords) founded the recipe back in the 1920's. They had many testimonials of good results, it doesn't taste bad, and can be taken with chemo. I think it's worth a shot.

Take care, Lisa and let me know how things are going.

Lu Ann
Old 08-29-2005, 10:36 PM   #2
Lisa

Lu Ann,

Sounds like we're in about the same place. The scan of my spine looked pretty good. I have a tumor at about waist level that is on the spine, but is NOT impinging on the canal. No pain there, but I will watch it VERY carefully.

I, too, started added Gemzar to my Herceptin/Zometa regimen a few weeks ago. Although it's supposed to be 3 on, 1 off for the Gemar, so far I've had only 2 doses since it FLATTENED my white blood count. We'll see again this Thursday. I'm taking an herb, Astragalus, that is supposed to increase WBCs. I don't think it can hurt.

I, too, have my facing recent depression and feeling very weak. I try daily to pull my butt and the rest of my body out of bed to go for a walk, but so far no luck. The trip you took sounds WONDERFUL. I'm trying to get up the gump to go for a simple hike in the foothills. If you can call any hike at 1 mile attitude "simple."

You know, when you're feeling down, you think you're losing the battle. But I've been here before and with God's grace will be up again.

I first heard of and tried Essiac tea back in early 2000. Personally, I don't believe there is a "cure" like this for cancer. Just understanding the nature of cancer is enough to be skeptical I do know that there are 100 kinds of cancer. I don't think a mix of herbs cures them all.

But miracles happen everyday.

Please stay in touch. I'll be curious to track your Gemzar path.

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 08-29-2005, 10:47 PM   #3
shaeff

Ladies,

Keep on walking if you can. I have found numerous studies that say the chances improve significantly if you walk 3 to 4 times a week for 30 minutes. Your husbands will also benefit since a study just came out today that said that heart problems are significantly reduced by walking that same amount mentioned. (It also didn't matter what the cholestorol levels were the benefits were the same)

Try to walk if you can,

Keep on truckin and good luck to all,

Shaeff