HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-07-2005, 09:49 PM   #1
Daile

Unhappy DVT Anyone??

Hi,

Has anyone else out their had or have a DVT (Deep Vain Thrombosis).
I have just been diagnosed with one of these nasties and I'm finding it a little hard to come to terms with its daily reality - maybe its the combination of everything. I feel abit like I'm living on a knifes edge at present.
I'm sure it gets easier as time goes by, would love to hear from others with or been through this.

Regards,

Daile
Daile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:35 AM   #2
kristen

Dear Daile,

I am so sorry that with all you have to go through with just this dang disease you have the added DVT. I personally did not. I just wanted to write to you and tell you to hang in there. I don't know if it will get better or not. But I sure hope some doc. or someone here on the board knows of something that can help ease your pain.
Everyone here I think has has something "added" to make life just a little bit more uncomfortable, and why that is I am not sure. Sometimes I think it is to make us stronger then we ever thought we could be. I really hope something can be done soon I hate to hear of anyone in pain. Be well soon.
MRM: 11/07/03
TX: TCH-BRICG Study-6 tx's; 12/15/03
Herceptin; til 12/14/04
Rads: 30 days
BRCA neg
S-Gap: 12/15/04
Oct 05: LAVH
NED
kristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #3
Unregistered

My mom had a DVT while on tamoxifen. The treatment consisted of taking out her port (which along with the tamoxifen had contributed to the DVT) and giving her a blood thinner for a week. The clot went away. For more serious clots, I know they can put a filter in the vein to minimize the risk of the clot breaking off.

Good luck--I hope everything works out OK for you!

Stephanie
daughter of Marie
Old 11-08-2005, 06:44 PM   #4
Daile

Wink

Thank you Kristen and Stephanie for your replies.

Presently i'm still having Clexamane twice daily and having to have daily INR bloods test to manage the dosage of Warfaren. I know that the Clexamane will stop when my INR is between 2 -3 but it will take me awhile to work the bloods and communicating with my GP on a daily or every 2nd day.
I suppose I just thought it would be a matter of taking a pill and that would be it only to find out that my course of treatment will take 6 months.
As the days go by it gets a little easier to work into my daily routine.

Regards,

Daile

Last edited by Daile; 11-09-2005 at 05:16 PM..
Old 11-09-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
Berta

Dear Daile: I have not experienced DVT but my husband has had DVT twice. The second time it was pretty serious, things seemed touch and go until they decided to put in a VENA CAVA filter. After that, he was able to move around a little more. Eventually the blood thinners work. The Vena Cava Filter was a procedure done though a very tiny incision in a leg vein and they threaded it up though to the vena cava. It was done under a local. He has done very well since then and is (May 2000) and now rides his bicycle daily to help improve circulation. Good luck. BERTA
Berta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:38 PM   #6
Daile

Thanks you for sharing that Berta.

Cheers,

Daile
Old 11-12-2005, 01:27 AM   #7
Gina

Have you tried daily pure Magnesium supplements???

Magnesium and evening primrose oil are good alternatives to take moderately for these kinds of blood clotting issues, but of course, if you are already on blood thinners--like cumadin, you will not be able to take the evening primrose oil as there is a slight danger of thinning the blood too much which could be a serious issue should internal bleeding start or should you have surgery or other procedures.

However, Magnesium is only a mineral and is very safe and can really help. If you are too worried to test it as a supplement, just be sure to eat magnesium-rich foods such as nuts, wholegrains, and cocoa. Sorry to learn of your added problems. I am sure you will manage though. Try magnesium orotate. If taken in the evening is also relaxing and sleep promoting. Do not exceed 1.5 grams daily. Do not take Magnesium citrate and do not take a magnesium supplement with calcium in it...has to be plain magnesium only...fyi. Onions, garlic, and chocolate are good for the heart and circulatory system in general. Hope this helps. Remember, there are always lots of things you can do to help yourself when these "new" nasties pop up so try to think positive and learn all you can. This web-site is a great resource.

Take care,
Gina L. Popp
Gina@Comcast.net
Original DX in 1997; STAGE IV mets in 1999; 6 years and 7 months experience with Herceptin; This month marks my 8th year since mastectomy and I am STILL here...smile.
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:06 PM   #8
Daile

Wink

Thanks Gina for sharing that. I will certainly look at what you have advised. It has gotton easier now a week on and I am starting see how I can manage it with all the other daily activities. It has been a little bit of a wake up call as i had let myself become overloaded and need to step back. My latest surgery resulting in the DVT showed me how much my body has changed over the last two years with all the drug treatments. I thought i would just bounce back like always and it was a real disappointment for me when it just didn't go according to my plans. Silly really of me, but there was a lesson to be learned and in the big picture its mangable and its just another thing in my life. So back to smiling and taking one day at a time instead of running on through (Smelling the roses).

Cheers,

Daile