HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-06-2005, 01:54 AM   #21
Lyn
A Living Legend

Hi all, it seems that the one thing we all agree on is that we are not scared of dieing, what terrifies us is how will the family survive without us, which means that some of us cannot die at peace. I had a teary with my 15 year old daughter today, apart from dealing with this disease I have my shoulder fractured in 2 places on top of the already collapsed humeral head on the same shoulder, the other shoulder and now my neck are in constant pain from the sling I have to wear for another 5 weeks, and then what, who knows, like my onc says, you have BC no one really cares about your shoulder, anyway I was trying to get dressed, being independent and of course I got stuck and in instant pain, she told me I should ask her before I try, all very well but she goes to school and I have to manage when she isn't around, so it was hot, my clothes were sticky, limited on what to wear with a sling, then my hair wouldn't do anything it should, I can't reach the top of my head, standing in front of the mirror I remembered what my 3 year old grandaughter had asked the night before, looking at a photo beside my bed, she said that is Ronnie, that is what she calls him, her grandad, but who is this, I had to say it is nanny before she got sick, now that hurts, because it doesn't seem that long ago that I did look like that. As usual my daughter who has been looking after me since she was just 8 says in her mother tone, it will he all right you will get better you haven't gone this far to give up, look at what you are doing for all of the others just by trying all of these drugs, she tells me that she is prepared for anything because she has seen and dealt with more than most adults, it doesn't make it any easier, her brothers 34 and 22 try not to think about it because it makes them too upset but they do, we just have to remember that life will go on without us, it will take a long time for the tears to stop, my dad passed away 2 years ago at 85 and I still get upset and I had him for a lot of years, but now I think of him as just living away or in the next room. He will never be forgotten, I have told this story before, when he was alive we discussed the theory of the saying "pennies from heaven" meaning that when we found one it was because an angel was thinking of us, but now there are no pennies so when he died we placed a lot of 5 cent pieces with him when he was buried, so when we come across a 5 cent piece, which is just about every day we remember him. At his funeral, my sister in law carried a hand bag she hadn't used for about 2 years and when she opened it there was a 5 cent piece, but not only that she dropped it as she showed us and it fell between the cracks in the floor of the verandah and when I went down to retrieve it, it was standing upright reflecting the sun, so you see there is the possibility of after life. There have been a lot of other unusual happenings, I was driving down the high way and my car felt so sluggish, finally a light came on the dash and when I pulled over it was the handbrake light, I had a look and a coin had lodged so the brake hadn't released, but when I looked at where I had pulled over, I was across from the cemetary where he is buried, I said thanks dad I will see you on the way back. Now I am easier with his death, his brother my uncle passed away 12 months after him with a rare melenoma, so when I find 10cents I know the two of them are together. When we visit my dad we place 5cent pieces on his head stone so he doesn't run out. It is a hard thing to deal with and no right answer, or at least I haven't found it yet either. My chemo nurses have told me how they have nursed patients in palliative care and the patients have known for quite some time that they would not be around and ask the nurses how they are going to tell their children, one patient was a sole parent, male with a 9 year old very young and the other she was very young with BC and a 9 year old also, she wouldn't even let the nurses help her feed herself, she didn't want to be a bother to anyone, I don't ask anymore how the patients that I know are doing because each time I do, it is bad news. I do believe that all of our paths are destined, and when it is our time we just hope that it happens when we are prepared for it, if ever of course. All I can say is just love them faults and all,we know we,cannot take their pain with us, like our treatments we keep praying that this one will do the job so we can get on and live, we are living with cancer, and not dieing of it. That phrase works for a little while, it is how much can we endure that is the question.

Love & Hugs Lyn
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:27 PM   #22
lu ann

Rainbow, by Julie Smith

The rainbow from above
gave me a shove
everthing is okay my dear
knowing its love was sincere
it taught me right from wrong
and how to sing its song
its my best friend
until the very very end
but the end is not at this time
you can't take her she's mine
I won't be ready when the end arrives
but knowing we put up a fight
we will be alright
even though our love was so true
it will leaving me feeling blue
but knowing I'll see you again
because mom, you were my best friend
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:43 PM   #23
Daile

Wink

The children thing is a biggy for me. It is the one thing that really cuts at me and at times can be overwhelming. I do wonder how my children are processing it all as I'm sure you all do too. My son was 7 yrs and my daughter was a few months of starting school (4.8 yrs). My son has become more aware in his ninth year and quite sensitive to the word cancer.

I recently had reconstruction surgery which went well in its self but the aftermath has been quite something else, a realisation of how my body has changed. I have watched their scared little faces look into mine and it eats me that I have brought this stress to them. It hasn't all been bad and sad. BC has brought to our family a bond, an ease far beyond what we had before. Things that seemed so important fade with the things that really are important brightly shining forth to the forefront - family, together time, joy, good friends, and our faith in GOD. No-longer do we worry what others might think.

My husband amazes me daily with his personnal growth, confidence and strength. My children to have grown and become more self-suffient which isn't a bad thing either. They are so much more capable of making decisions for themselves and their personnal needs.

Throughout this all it has been our children that have made this all the easier to cope. Its their little takes on how the world is, its the snuggling up on the couch together, its the holding my hand in public as people stare because I have no hair or accessories hanging out of me (drains). Its the big loud voice and the pointed finger at the person whoses starring "they are starring at you mummy!"

I feel lucky that I have the support of a husband and family to help me with this load. My heart goes out to all single parents and families that are far from each other. I am blessed to have two sets of grandparents within 20 minutes of us who are able to drop everything and look after the children when the need arises.

Every blessing to you all,

Daile
Daile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 07:47 PM   #24
Rozebud

Michelle - Kristen emailed me to send you this transcript, so you may already have it, but I thought I'd attach it for anyone else that is interested. This is from a teleconference the YSC hosted last year, and has some great advice on how to talk to your children about your cancer. Of course, mine are too young to still even understand it - which is a blessing in all of this.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf my_mommy_has_breast_cancer_teleconference.pdf (84.9 KB, 153 views)

Dx'd 1/04 at 33, while 33 weeks pregnant

Dx: Stage IIIC IDC, ER-, PR+ (23%), Her2=2.7 (IDC)/7.6 (FSH), 2.5cm primary tumor, grade III, 11/18+ nodes (largest 3.8 cm)

Treatment: A/C *4, T *4, 1 year of herceptin (BCIRG 006), mastectomy, rads (7 weeks), zoladex (5 years) with tamoxifen (2 years)/aromisin (3 years), bilateral SGAP summer 05 at NOLA

Oops, retested tumor and I guess I'm er/pr- after all.
Stopped all hormonal tx 10/07. Periods resumed 6/08. Bye bye hot flashes!!!!

http://www.edrie.com/kopecky
*~VISIT OUR FAMILY!~*
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:49 PM   #25
Maryanne

They are the wind beneath our wings.
Maryanne is offline   Reply With Quote