HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2006, 05:02 AM   #1
twoboysmom

Ready for Reconstruction--I think--Need Imput!!

I am four years post mastectomy and up until now haven't really thought about reconstruction. Now I think I am ready. I am not looking forward to surgery and the pain it endures but I know in the long run it will be worth it.

Does anyone have any advice, stories or hints that will help me in my decision process? I don't know anyone personally who has had the surgery for reconstruction purposes.

Thanks in advance,
Karen
twoboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:38 AM   #2
koolbreeze

Reconstruction

Hi Karen, I have minimal experience. When I had my mastectomy, they input an expander to stretch the skin in preparation for reconstruction. Unfortunately, my body rejected the expander (my incision would not heal, just keep getting lots of fluid etc.) so they had to do another surgery to remove it. After that they gave me the option of using back tissue or tummy tissue and I said no way. I have since had my other breast removed and am just fine with my situation. I am 50 yrs old but, had I been in my 30's or 40's, I may have made a different decision.

I did have a friend who used tummy tissue to reconstruct and the recovery time is lengthy but she felt it was worth it. I saw the breast they reconstructed and it was very well done.

I wish you all the best in your decision. I am sure there are many others who can help here on the site beyond my limited experience. Take care Kool

DX 3/05
Stage IIB 1.3cm w/ lymph node involvement
ER+++PR+, HER2+++ G3
Surgery - Left mastectomy 4/05, Lymph node removal 5/05, breast expander removal 6/05, partial thyroidectomy 7/05, Right mastectomy 1/06
Post Menopausal due to hyserectomy 2/03 (took hormone replacement)
Treatment - A/C, Taxol and Herceptin, Herceptin only (finish 10/06), Arimidex daily.
Age 50
koolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:51 AM   #3
R.B.

Please do a search clicking on the word seach above and entering the various terms.

I recall some threads on this, including references to other sites which look at pros and cons of ops risks sucess ratios etc. of various options. From what I read some procedures involved "significant" surgery and from the results were not by any means risk free. Informed is probably a good standpoint.

If you can't find the threads please come back.

RB
R.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #4
Lauriemn

I will be having a Diep flap surgery in about 3 weeks. I am about 1 1/2 years from my mastectomy. I would have had an implant, just because it is an easier surgery, but I had radiation, so implants are out.

Have you decided what kind you are having?

Tram flaps are still popular, but the diep is now a better option because no stomach muscle is taken. the problem is that there are not alot of doctors who do this procedure. I am traveling to New Orleans for my surgery. It was a difficult decision because I have three young children, but I felt a diep was the better choice for me.

feel free to send a pm if you want any info about where I am going, my experience, etc.

Good Luck !

Laurie
Lauriemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #5
John21

Hello,

My wife has had this done at same time of masectomy. They put the expander in right away to grow more skin. It will take sometime to grow. The worst part were the drainage tubes put in. Everything went well. I am sure she would say it was horrable. She does not regret it though.

John
John21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:25 PM   #6
jener8er

Pick me! Pick me!

Hi Karen, I had DIEP reconstruction (bilateral with proph. mast.on my "good" side) on June 21st. The surgery/hospital stay was tough, but the recovery has been a lot easier than I thought. I was up and about almost immediately and back to normal around 2-3 weeks. I had my original mast in Oct 04 so I was ready. I'm very happy with my decision and will be going back in a few months for nipples and revisions. Feel free to PM me with any questions you have. I am leaving town for the UK today (yikes!) and will be back on Sunday so don't panic if you don't hear from me right away.
Jen
4/20+ Lymph nodes
Stage 3a
Age 38, CA
jener8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 05:02 PM   #7
ekoen

Hi -

I had breast reconstruction using expanders at the time of my mastectomies. For me choosing the implant route was the right decision because I like to swim and canoe and I enjoy using my muscles. I didn't think the sacrifice of working muscles for pseudo boobs was worth it - and I have since talked to a massage therapist (ok - not a medical therapy) who reported that her recovering cancer patients who went through with reconstructions using tram flaps or abdominal muscles had a very long recovery time - and there is no replacement for muscle tissue. I have yet to have my permanent implants put in - still living with expanders.

-Esti
ekoen is offline   Reply With Quote