HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #1
RhondaH

16 year old with breast cancer...and we think WE have problems

http://news.mywebpal.com/news_tool_v...ryID=3436&on=0

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
Unregistered

This was an eye opener and reminder of how fortunate I am, breast cancer or not. My heart goes out to this young girl and her family. I have not complained once and will continue not to complain since diagnosed. I am one of the fortunate ones where there is treatment and a lot of hope.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
Sherryg683

Ok, this pisses me off. I can't believe that MD Anderson would turn down this lovely little girl who desperately needs their help because of lack of insurance . Who has 25,000 on hand that they can spare, not many of us. Is there a price on a life. I just think there should be exceptions made. I sure hope that they can have some benefits or some generous person will come up with the money for this young girl, I'm just dissappointed with MD Andersons policy...sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 03:21 PM   #4
VaMoonRise
Deceased

16 Year Old with Breast Cancer

Thank you so much for posting this story it really has touched me very deeply. I have sent out an e-mail to everyone I know asking them to please send donations, cards and prayers. My sister lives very close to Cedartown, GA and she is working on setting up a car wash to raise money for Amber Jackson and her family. I have gotten the phone number to the Regions Bank in Cedartown it is 770-748-1820 and the number to Amber's high school, Cedartown High School 770-748-0490. I am going to contact both and get an address to where donations and cards can be sent. I will post the address to both once I have them. I hope you all will join me in helping this young girl and her family.

Whenever it is possible to make a difference in this world or in the life of another we should all grab that opportunity and make something truly remarkable happen.

God Bless,
Nicola

Last edited by VaMoonRise; 07-13-2006 at 03:25 PM..
VaMoonRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
RhondaH

Thanks Nicola...

I will be HAPPY to donate.

Rhonda

Dx 2/1/05, Stage 1, 0 nodes, Grade 3, ER/PR-, HER2+ (3.16 Fish)
2/7/05, Partial Mastectomy
5/18/05 Finished 6 rounds of dose dense TEC (Taxotere, Epirubicin and Cytoxan)
8/1/05 Finished 33 rads
8/18/05 Started Herceptin, every 3 weeks for a year (last one 8/10/06)

2/1/13...8 year Cancerversary and I am "perfect" (at least where cancer is concerned;)

" And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
marymary

That Price Tag Seems So Steep

It's just an unbelievable amount of money to just get started. Last year I paid $600.00 for a consult with my oncologist at UCSF and thought that was a lot of money. Of course the health insurers have contract rates, and only pay a fraction of that. It's sad that the neediest patients get stuck with the highest price tag. I'm always shocked to see how much my insurance carrier slashes off the bill.

I do think about those who do not have any resources and how they manage this disease. I am hoping to get into the Seattle vaccine trial, and the travel expenses are not covered, so trials, too, can be costly. It seems a shame that those with greater financial resources may be receiving better care. I feel lucky to live close to UCSF. I overheard a patient saying she drives 300 miles for infusions.

It seems like the Lance Armstrong Foundation or the Komen Foundation might be a resource for this young patient. I wonder if they have approached any of the big cancer foundations? I suppose there are many needy BC patients out there, but probably not 16 year olds!

OK, tired and rambling. Had a PET today and it took the stuffing right out of me. No caffeine and what a headache. I must be a caffeine junkie.

Mary
marymary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:30 PM   #7
Jean

Unhappy

Rhonda,

Thank you for the post - I just had to cry - first of all I am very sad to hear that MD Anderson has responded as they have. That is a shame that this goes on. I just thought of George Clooney who has sent 100 Million dollars over to Africa - yes that is so wonderful - but I just wish these top people would remember we have people right here that need help. Wish I had the $25,000 to give them.

But - thanks to Nicola we can contribute and I just know that the $25,000
will come. There are many good people out there who will help.

Rhonda, today was a diffiuclt one at the cancer center - had my herceptin and all is going well for me - but it was not so for others today and so
after the day I saw at the center and to come home and read this - I just
hate CANCER!

Jean
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #8
Sandy H

That made me angry when I read this. Perhaps, I am wrong but all the money this country is spending on fighting other countries, homeland security, sending people into space and I could fill this page. We are talking millions what's another $25,000 to help a 16 year old that needs medical attention. I will pray that this amount comes through and I know it will because there are many caring and compassionate people in this world. Sorry, this is my 2 cents worth. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:37 PM   #9
lindaw

This is outrageous. Well said Sandy.I agree totally.

love
lindaw
lindaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
Rendi69CA

Angry

That is so sad. Alot of doctor can be butthole. I work with alot of doctors and some can be heartless and need to get out of the field. If they do not have the love for people they must go.
11/97- 36 radiation therapy.
01/98- NED; tamoxifen.
02/02- breast reconstruction.
08/04- recurrence; mets to rt lung; thoracentesis; femara.
09/04- thoracentesis; ER/PR +, Her2+++.
10/04- total abdominal hysterectomy.
02/06- mets to 9th rib; monthly zometa; arimidex.
06/06- medi port insert; weekly herceptin.
10/06- 3 weeks herceptin treatment.
02/07- mets to liver; arimidex
11/07-liver clear
02/08-chemo taxol/herceptin weekly treatment
12/08-taxol not working
01/09-navelbine/herceptin weelky
03/09-navelbine not working
04/09-xeloda/tykerb
09/09-30 radation to neck; xeloda/tykerb not working
11/09-Gemzar/herceptin weekly
04/10-tykerb/herceptin weekly
06/10-cancer spread to left lung;stop treatment; tap