HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-19-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
Jackie

I have experienced an ache up and down my right leg for about the last 2 wks, mostly at night. It's interfering with my sleep and Motrin doesn't help. My onc doesn't know what it is and has referred me to an orthopedic dr whom I can't see for 2 wks. I suspect the sciatic nerve but know zip about it or why it's suddently begun to hurt. Thought that was an "old" person's malady! (I'm 56 and fairly active) Has anyone else had anything like this, and if so, what did you do for it? I know these powerful drugs we're on can do odd things...any chance it could cause something like this? Scans from last week show nothing in legs, and began gemzar today because navelbine quit working for me. Thanks for any help you can provide!
(A very tired) Jackie
Old 02-19-2004, 08:51 AM   #2
Sherry in WV

I just posted the other day, about the reluctance of an orthopedic sx to do sx on me. I am having the same problem with back and leg. Have bulging disc, spurs and nerve compression. I went to see surgeon again today and he refused to even discuss sx. The pain is getting worse. I am to go to pain center and try an injection, if this does not work, then to a neurosurgeon. The Ortho I saw today suggested strong pain meds and live withit. I don't like to be " gorked" so I refuse to live on strong pain meds. My I was on taxotere and had a lot of problems while on it, including loosing feeling in my legs and feet and falling down step twice and falling off a handicap ramp for our dog and breaking my rt leg, so any of these occurances could have contributed to the back problem.
I hope you find relief for yours.
Peace,
Sherry
Old 02-19-2004, 10:17 AM   #3
Jackie

Gosh...you make me feel like I ought to keep my mouth shut! I'm so sorry you're going thru all of that aggravation, including the attitude issues with your ortho dr. I sure hope my problem doesn't escalade into what you have, but it's sure uncomfortable now. Am about to go upstairs and rumage thru my med cabinet and see what I can take. Good luck to you in resolving your pain and I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Jackie
Old 02-19-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
Lolly

Sherry,
It's really too bad this surgeon doesn't have to live with your pain for a while, maybe he'd change his mind about the surgery!
Have you considered acupunture? I have heard and read some amazing stories about pain releif using acupunture, it might be worth investigating. Maybe one of the ladies or guys here has some experience with it and will share insight.
Hugs,
Lolly
Old 02-20-2004, 02:29 AM   #5
Sherry in WV

Sorry, did not want to seem so dramatic. Just irriated at the time of post. Had just come home from Ortho. MD. I am glad that he is not the one who would do Sx anyway, don't think I could trust him. Anyway, thanks for all the support, it has been a rough few months.....
Several deaths, including my Dad who I was very very close too...anyway, thanks you are all so wonderful and so supportive....
peace,
Sherry
Old 02-20-2004, 08:49 AM   #6
linda in calif

Hi Jackie: I had the same kind of pain you are talking about starting in Nov. It got gradually worse and seemed to intensify at night. The pain got so bad that I was worried I had blood clots in my leg from the Tamoxafen I take. In Dec. my Onc. did a scan on my lower back which showed nothing wrong....I think he thought it was some kind of pinched nerve. Anyway, the good news is that the pain has gradually faded over the last month. This may be one of these things where we just have to let it run its course. Good Luck and I hope you feel better soon. Take Care, Linda
Old 02-21-2004, 05:01 AM   #7
Steph N.

Your question brings back memories ...
You do not say what treatment you are on, but this was my experience.
While on Taxotere I had a lot of pain - sometimes felt like someone had taken a basebal bat to my entire body.
I had severe pain in my large bones from the Neupogen shots forcing my bones to work. Lower back got stiff and sore and my hips and thighs ached. I had shooting pains at times that I ended up taking Neurontin plus naproxen to relieve. It would resolve somewhat as my treatment was on a 3-week basis. After the second week I felt a lot better. It was a cyclical thing with the really bad pains coming as the drug kicked in and for a few days after.

Now I just have terrible cramps in legs and feet from time to time as a result of the tons of Taxol I had to take for mets. My med onc gave me Quinine capsules for that and it helps a lot.