HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
Christine

The Her2 Support Group has been offered an opportunity by a local Avon Products representative. Avon is a strong supporter of breast cancer research.

Julia will give us 20% of product sales ordered through her website. We feel that it is a painless way to support our group. No one should feel any obligation to participate. At our request, she will not provide to us the names of those who have ordered through her.

Unfortunately Avon can only ship to US addresses

In the past we have felt hesitant to actively solicit donations from our members and do not plan on doing so in the future.

I would like to get everyone's thoughts on this before I proceed.

Hugs,
Christine
Old 08-11-2005, 10:04 PM   #2
Lisa

As a former professional fundraiser, it's a tough call. Since we are such a small nonprofit with few, if any, steady funds, I would say do it. Just be aware that sometimes groups/organizations/individuals are well meaning, but underestimate what they'll raise and you end up with nothing. Just always make sure you don't "sell" our good name short.

Is she going to tell all of her customers about this? Or just us?
Is this 20% for a month or ongoing?

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 08-12-2005, 04:34 AM   #3
imported_Joe

Lisa,

We are not lending our name to her. All we will do is provide a link to her website and our group will receive 20% of all orders placed through her.

There is no time limit and we will not have any advertising on our site.

Orders are not limited to members, so you can tell your family and friends.

She is a family friend who wants to help our organization.

PS. You owe Chris a phone call. This weekend?

Warmest Regards
Joe
Old 08-12-2005, 09:22 AM   #4
Lisa

Bring on the money!

Love and light,

Lisa
Old 08-12-2005, 10:54 AM   #5
StephN

The parameters outlined by Joe seem reasonable to me.

Personally I do not use Avon products, but do realize that they have been a company that supported breast cancer research.

I tend to use products that I get at the "health food" or specialty vitamin/supplements stores.

From scanning an Avon cataloge a while back I recall that they do have some cute jewelry and gift type items. Worth a second look!
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
Becky

I support this endeavor. Plus, I love makeup. I was more depressed by losing my eyelashes and eyebrows than the hair on my head.

Not only that, I am sure the Her 2 kitty could use the support for the research, travel and assistance to continue to supply us with the latest information and help.

Best regards,

Becky
Old 08-12-2005, 04:36 PM   #7
Lisa

Give Julia a big pink hug from all of us! eom
Old 08-12-2005, 05:19 PM   #8
*_Sandy H._*

Sounds good to me. I do not use their products most of them I am allergic to so I have to use close to natural as possible which means I have to use other brands. As Steph said they do have some nice gift items. Hugs, Sandy
Old 08-15-2005, 01:36 PM   #9
hmboyle

Christine and Joe,

Great idea, do thank your friend for this generous offer, 20 percent
is huge, most will offer 10-15 percent max.
I'm requesting the holiday season.
As you know always the best time of year for cosmetics sales, especially with the gift line is the holidays, and for Avon I estimate it would be November to mid December. That is to take advantage of the popular limited holiday line. Preferably no time sooner than October. This is coming from someone who sold for another line of cosmetics for many years. Many women will buy very little makeup during summer months, but will stock up for themselves before big events, primarly the holiday season.
I'm sure you've thought about all of this, just wanted to reinforce.
Right now, throughout September, women are thinking about costs of getting their children back to school. Just my two cents..

Susan M(PA)
Old 08-16-2005, 04:33 PM   #10
Esther

This sounds like a good idea. It's totally voluntary and can help fund the site.