HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-19-2005, 08:36 AM   #1
Christine

1/3 of all stage IV metastatic breast cancer will be diagnosed with brain tumors.

1/3 will never exhibit any symptoms.

Brain tumors are extremely treatable in their early stages.

Insist on a brain MRI from your onc on your next visit if you havn't had one in 6 months.

Hugs, well wishes and Happy Fathers Day
Christine
Old 06-19-2005, 11:15 AM   #2
StephN

Thanks, Christine -
We have to remember that chemo does NOT pass the blood/brain barrier, but the cancer cells DO.

I was one of those who did not exhibit any symptoms, yet had a 1-inch in diameter tumor behind my left ear. Fortunately it was treatable along with the smaller tumor with Gamma Knife.

The other thing to always remember is that cancer is a SNEAKY little devil and you have to get it before it gets you. Not the game we thought we would be playing, but we are in it nevertheless.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 08:14 PM   #3
Kaye

Christine, I so much agree with you but am having difficulty getting a brain MRI with new Kaiser neurologist. In the past the neurologists would order. I have a new one--due to the fact that the one to whom I had been assigned kept leaving--after my former one of almost 30 yrs left. (I saw him privately for M.S. before he started working at Kaiser). I was recently told that my onc would be responsible for ordering these scans. The onc. will not routinely do unless there are symptoms. And, even at that, they won't do it for all symptoms. When I was discussing possibility of brain mets the oncologist told me that basically the only time he will order tests is if symptoms include an unrelenting headache.
I am quite frightened by their neglectful stance which could result in delayed dx and delayed treatment and shorter survival which is most cost effective for them. Any idea how this poairion can be changed? Any time I had a symptom in the past, the onc sent me to the neurologist. One of the neurologists said they can always say the symptom (even if mets) was related to M.S.--even if it is not...I am so frustrated by their patronizing, cavalier, and neglectful position...
Old 06-20-2005, 09:03 AM   #4
mts

Tell them you have an unrelenting headache! Heck! If that is what it takes to get what you want. Follow your instincts...

warmly,
mts
Old 06-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
*_Susan M_*

Put your request in writing EOM
Old 06-23-2005, 03:22 PM   #6
susie

You know, it ps.....s's me off. Those of us who have "mets" are considered incurable and the standard of care is sometimes deplorable because of this. "Why pay out the money for someone who's days are numbered anyway?" We have to fight this. I refuse to believe it is incurable, they just don't know how to cure it yet. My mother used to say, "the squeaky wheel gets oiled"...so lets not sit back and accept the dire prognosis. Once there was a man with MS in a wheelchair at the office. He was in the later stages of the disease and the nurse said, "well, he's got MS but he's not as sick as you all". Here I was sitting there looking healthy, tanned and hearty, and this poor man was unable to speak. I will not give up. Call me stubborn but I will not give in to fear, regret and resignation.