HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-04-2004, 06:20 AM   #1
Christine

It is important to have periodic scans of your known affected CA areas of your BODY, and while doing these MRI SCANS, let the Onc know of your Increasing Concerns regarding brain metastases.
Unlike MRI scans, PET offers no further benefit than MRI. PET ALSO WORKS USING RADIATION, while MRI works with magnetic resonance, and less likely to cause the brain harm. This a more rational approach, since radiation is needed in all brain therapies. I have been taking MRI'S for the brain on a routine basis to follow-up every 3 to 6 months depending on the reports. SurveiIlence, as I have been recently told by my Rad Onc. is up to me every 3 or 6 month intervals. It is also IMPORTANT to klnow , that when taking brain MRI's you can have Double or Triple contrast to further enhance the brain's image called Gadilineum, a non-toxic mineral that has a magnetic field that works for the scan and is short lived.
Insurance in our society is indeed a great concern with the exorbitant costs for us all. While getting the proper medical care seems to us the most important factor in our lives, some Onc's see other factors more important in their medical practice. A refusal to give you the treatments you may feel you need is sometimes met with a deaf ear, as this is a provider who is dealing under the specific regulations set forth by the Insurane-DR relationship/contract. I have always feared this with our country's state of medical coverage Dilemma!! PLEASE exercise your option to seek other opinions UNDER YOUR PLAN, AS I REALIZE THERE ARE ONC'S WHO ARE VERY CREDIBLE, and will work outside the system.
I hope I've answered many of your ???'S. If needed, come again with more.....