HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-22-2006, 08:31 AM   #1
sally

chemo brain

I thought I heard there was a new drug out for chemo brain. Are any of you on a med just for being "scatterbrained"? Thanks for any replies. Sally
sally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
juanita

I think it would be great if there is such a thing. It wouldn't be as much fun for the kids at the high school/middle school where I work though. I saw a study somewhere just after I was diagnosed that said even after 5 years some women had chemo brain.
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Patty H

I haven't heard anything about a drug for chemo brain, but I have heard that chemo brain could last up to 10 years. I told my friends since I have had chemo 8 different times I should be allowed 80 years of chemo brain. They said I could have it, if I promised to stay around. I use the excuse chemo brain everytime I mess up. My friends have been trying to tell me, I'm just getting old like they are. Patty H
Patty H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
StephN

Wink San Antonio Abstracts

Hi everyone -
Abstracts numbers 5026 thru 5028 address the chemobrain and related anemia problems.

5026 covers a study with an investigational drug called Dexmethylphenidate which showed significant improvement in the participants over the placebo.

I did not go online to get the whole abstract, but have it in my catalog of the papers presented at the Symposium.

The condition of anemia which accompanies the suppressed blood counts is often overlooked with its resulting affect on the brain. Less red blood to circulate = less oxygen to the brain cells. Therefore we get the double whammy of being mentally as well as physically tired. (Been there, done that!)
Could have used a little of that drug myself!
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:40 PM   #5
Lisa

I've got it twice over. Once, chemo brain, and the second, the increase in white matter from WBR. I can totally emphathize with my father, who's in the middle phase of Alzheimer's.

Love and light,

Lisa
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:27 PM   #6
Unregistered

It has been two and a half years since i finished chemo and i still have chemo brain. I am a lawyer and i must admit find it very difficult sometimes to remember things that i should. i rely on writing myself notes and an extremely efficient secretary. janet
Old 02-22-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
Lolly

I'm going into my 7th year since chemo for primary which was the most affecting in terms of chemo brain, and have never gotten back to 100% since. Granted, I've been on-off-on chemo/Herceptin since 2001 but in between chemos, I just start to feel like I'm getting my wits about me again and POW! another recurrence and back on chemo and back to writing EVERYTHING down in my pocket secretary which I keep with me, literally, at all times. On well.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
al from Canada

Hello chemo-brain angles,
The drug Dexmethylphenidate is an analogue of ritalin, which is an stimulant commonly used for ADD. There is a clinical trial which uses an alzhiemers drug to counter the congnitive loss sometimes experienced with WBR. The reason I know this is because I was searching for Linda.

Drugs currently used for this are called acetylcholinesterase inhibitors and Glutamate inhibitors. Drugs of this class are Aricept, galantamine and mematine. I have given Linda galantamine (in an LEF cocktail; called "get smart") and ritalin since her WBR and her memory has improved, not declined. Draw your own conclusions.

Take care,
Al