HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-21-2006, 02:47 AM   #1
lisahammo

Talking Reaction to first treatment

Hi all

Just wanted to talk about what happened to me last week for my first round of Taxol/Herceptin/Carbo. I admit I was extremely nervous about the Carbo, as I haven't actually met anyone who has had it. So as it turned out, my first round was a disaster! I had the Herceptin/Taxol, no worries, but was then given Phenergan before the Carbo, and I completely zoned out. I couldn't focus on anything, wanted to sleep, but could not sit still. I do remember talking to my onc. while standing doing leg stretches, and at one point sitting on the floor doing yoga leg stretches! It must have looke so funny. Anyway, after my 4th trip to the toilet in 1/2 hour, they gave me Valium to knock me out.

The next day I felt great, slightly nauseous, and couldn't stop eating. The day after that, not so great, still feeling sick, tired, and the next day, bloody awful. I went back to hospital, and stayed on a drip for 4 hours to rehydrate me, even though I was drinking plenty. Unfortunately, I think I may have had a virus also, as my son was sick the same night. It took me 6 days before I came good.

So, as you can imagine, I was dreading my next treatment, however, it was fine (no Phenergan ever again!!!!), and today I just feel a bit tired.

As I said, I was very nervous about having the Carbo, but after reading this site, and reading different opinions, it always lifts my spirits. Good luck to you all.

Love Lisa
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:44 AM   #2
Diane H

It is good your second treatment is going better, the first sounded pretty bad. Sending you big hugs and wishes for a smoother ride.
Diane H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:58 AM   #3
Lolly

Glad to hear your second treatment was better; was the phenergen given in IV or pill? In the past for my "heavier" chemo's I've been given either Zofran (IV) or Kytril (injection) at the center and then Phenergan pills to take at home as needed. The pills did have a tendency to knock me out as well, so I only took them for a day or so after each treatment...didn't like that zoned out feeling either!

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:33 AM   #4
Marlys

Smile

Lisa
After my first A/C rx I took phenergan for several doses and went absolutely "kookie". I pride myself on being "dignified" in my behavior because I have a real complex about my physical appearance even on my best days. Needless to say I was mortified by my behavior during this time! I was not sure what caused this but decided I would never again put phenergan into my system. I am sure others have this same reaction to this drug and wonder why we are not warned, But on the positive side the rest of my A/C rx's went without a hitch and I again was able to act normal!!
Marlys

Last edited by Marlys; 02-21-2006 at 06:37 AM..
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:37 AM   #5
sassy

Phenegrin has never been one of my favorite, seems to make me feel worse overall than better. Glad your second treatment went better.

Sassy
________
Roll A Joint

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:41 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 05:20 PM   #6
jhandley

Hi Lisa

I feel for you..I had an allergic rx. to taxotere on my first tx. in 2001..not pleasant but luckily the nurses/doc were onto it straight away. Get plenty of rest and take some reishi mushroom extract (Immune Support Astra Forte by Greenridge is a good brand easy to get in OZ) to up your WBC and down your fatigue.
cheers
Jackie
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote