HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
Sherryg683

Herceptin..sinus headache dizzyess problems

I seem to have a lot of questions tonight..sorry. I know some of you said you had sinus problems while on Herception. Do any of you also have any dizzyness or dull headaches. I am having this dull thud feeling in my left temple, not really painful but dull, a little bit dizzy and my sinuses are a mess. I have had nose bleeds the last two mornings because my sinuses are so crusty and stuff. Just feel like I am in a tunnel or something With all this talk of Brain mets, I think I am becoming parnoid. I had a brain scan done 2 months ago that showed nothing..then. Doubt my oncologist would even do another one so soon. Just wondering if the above symptoms could just be the Herceptin...sherryg.683n
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 11:47 PM   #2
tammymarie1971

Hi Sherry..I too have these symptoms especially the day after..although the crusties hang on longer and I have frequent nose bleeds as well..I do feel spaced out at times too. I think we will always have a bit of anxiety when things like this pop up. I do often have a dull headache and scans in November showed nothing. Also, welcome to the gang!.
Tammy
Dx'd Dec'01 while 6mos preg. with #4. child (30yrsold)Mastectomy/AC chemo/radiation/ Recur:Mar'04 liver mets: 3 taxol/herceptin /liver resection/3 taxol/herceptin. Cured?
Recur: May'05 spine & Hip. New onc
treatment in Mexico Feb'06-Mar-06
back to Mexico June/July '06
Currently on herceptin/Zometa/Femara-recently added navelbine
Switched to arimidex Nov'06
ovaries removed June '07
ca15-3 in May'06 was 102
ca15-3 summer of '07 holding steady at 23!
ca15-3 slowly rising Dec & Jan 36, 38, 41 and Feb was 36
Feb '08 Liver, lung & Brain scan NED... bones are stable with even a couple spots gone. as compared with '06 scans
May '08 ca 15-3 is 55. Treatment is zometa, vinorelbine, herceptin and aromasin.
No signifcant changes.
Feb'09 Started Xeloda with herceptin..no more hormonals
Feb'09-June'09 tumor markers coming down again from 155 to 84
May'09 blood clots in lungs vena cava filter put in..Heparin shots daily for now.
tammymarie1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:39 AM   #3
RhondaH

What A Coincidence...

This IS/WAS me, but not too much anymore. I started Herceptin 8/18/05 and after the problems starting and persisting until 12/22/05, my doc had a brain CT (which came back normal) and refered me to a neurologist (I am also epileptic and there was hope I could get off meds...no such luck as they found seizure activity) and he did an MRI (ALSO, came back normal). If you look at the side effects of Herceptin, dizzy is one which for me is NOW amplified by the NEW seizure medicine they put me on (which ALSO has dizzy as a side effect). Here as some links to the posts I had when I had your same questions and the replies I got. Take care and God bless.

Rhonda

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...t=dizzy+rhonda

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...t=dizzy+rhonda

Last edited by RhondaH; 02-16-2006 at 03:45 AM.. Reason: addition
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
DeborahNC

Hi Sherry,

I get the dizziness as well along with a little aching and drippy nose. I've also experience vision problems for about three days after Herceptin infusion; weird blue lights when I make quick glances.
DeborahNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
Chelee

I have only had my 1st chemo two weeks ago which was Herceptin, Carbo, Taxotere. Then the next week I had ONLY the Herceptin. (That was this last Tuesday.) I noticed that very night after the Herceptin I had almost a sinus headache and sounded a little stuffed up? Then after going to bed at night I woke up to potty and my nose was all stuffed up and when I went to blow it...it was all dried out and some blood. Not major blood...just the inside of the nose was all cracked and dried out.
Prior to the herceptin that day...I was fine. No sign of cold, or any sinus problems. So I find it interesting to read your post. I have a feeling it must be a side affect from the Herceptin. When I woke up that morning to potty I also sounded like I was going to get a good head cold. (Although I didn't.)
Now its three days after the Herceptin and its pretty much went away. Except for the right side of my nose is still sore and SO dried out. I don't dare touch it...hurts that much. So your not alone on this one. Thanks for sharing your post because I was wondering what caused this. However I really did feel it HAD to be the Herceptin. But other then that...I must say I haven't felt too bad...a little tired..but compared to my first week of chemo with all three meds...I was dusted then.
Oh yeah...I have had headaches that have come and gone. I am not prone to headaches...so that must be the herceptin too. Mine aren't too bad thank goodness...but I rather not have any if I had it my way. (I am sure you would agree.)
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
Helen

I am on a weekly Herceptin dose and I often have dull headaches too. I am planning to talk to my onc about a brain MRI. Just like you .... I am paranoid about it with all the talks of brain mets. I really hope that the dull headaches are just side effects of Herceptin.
Best wishes to you.

Helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
Lolly

I've had off and on headaches since starting Herceptin over 5 years ago; sometimes not so dull, sometimes yes. I've had Brain MRI's to rule out mets, so far so good.

Bottome line is, document the headaches in a notebook or pocket secretary in relation to your treatments. Then when you next see your onc, show the notebook and discuss your concern as even if the headaches do come in conjunction with Herceptin (and Herceptin can be a cause) if they persist one must have an MRI to rule out mets.

Most oncs will not order a Brain MRI without symptoms, so the documentation is important. Then, if mets are ruled out, STILL document your headaches if they continue as if any change in intensity etc. is noticed and notated, you don't have to rely on memory (ha!) when discussing such changes with your onc.

<3 Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 05:50 AM   #8
lisahammo

I, too, have had dizzyness, and headaches. Yes, I worry about brain mets. My last brain scan was May 05, and I will be asking for another one soon, but sometimes I have to sit down quickly, or I feel like I will pass out. Don't really get the sinus problems though.

Lisa
lisahammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
Gina

A dull sometimes throbbing pain in the area of

your right or left temple is MOST often a sign of anemia -- low red blood cell counts...check your CBC's ...if your RBC's are less than about 4.00, the dull headache is probably just anemia...a quick fix is to go and cut a granny smith apple in half and inhale deeply...sounds silly I know, but some special enzyme in the apple will ease the pain until you can eat a protein -rich meal and go to sleep...your red cells build while you are in slumber land...some folks RBC's and /or WBC's are effected even when on herceptin alone. My RBC's used to go down regularly when taking herceptin in the early days, but over the years, I learned to compensate..that is one reason I include the 6 or so ounces of Welch's concord grape juice daily in my regimen...helps keep the RBC's high...liver, lamb, raisins, and especially beets or beet juice will do the same thing...

Naturally every one is different but in folks I have known with new brain mets --they are often "sensed" first towards the back of the neck and move upwards...behind the ears...and towards the crown...usually, if you are on no pain meds..., the sensations will be sharp, not dull, and periodic..not continuous like a dull anemia headache...until they get larger of course and start disrupting vision or movement or balance, at which time SEVERE pain often ensues...of course, any head pain should be investigated -- but don't freak out..start with a quick look at your CBC and then move on to look at your CA 27/29 with your serum Her-2 and leave NO stone unturned...if it is brain mets, swift action is helpful. Also, I would NOT discontinue Herceptin for any reason, if I had HIGH serum her-2 while being treated for brain mets, but that is just my unprofessional recommendation as I seriously think lowering tumor burder everywhere can only help matters going on in the brain...naturally, consider very carefully all the pro and con sides of ANY treatment.

Goodluck,
Gina
Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 08:45 PM   #10
Sherryg683

Thank you for yor reply Gina, my sensations are definately more of a dull congested feeling instead of a sharp pain, in my left temple. My blood counts continue to drop and then go up on the week I am off the Xeloda. I've had to have 2 proctric shots for my low red blood counts. I am praying that you are right. I haven't had any really sharp pains. My left sinuses are really a mess full of pressure. I have a great Oncologist that says he will be willing to order any scan at all that will make me feel better. I just had a scan on the brain approximately 7 weeks ago and it showed nothing, so I think I am just worrying over nothing. I think that's just part of our load that we have to bear. I am going to stay on top of it though and if it gets any worse, I will have him scan me again..sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote