HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-08-2006, 11:32 AM   #21
Unregistered

Question Lisa J

There has been some reports indicating that Taxotere may have a better result, but Taxol is still very much around, probably only because, based on past data, it has been easier on side effects, compared to Taxotere, which effects may be too severe & not tolerable.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #22
sadie

Had my 1st Taxol/Herceptin treatment today

Just an FYI for those who are nervous about Taxol/Herceptin treatments.....
I had my first treatment today.
I was terrified of this day, not knowing what to expect.
It went very well!
They gave Benadryl in the iv before starting the other chemicals.
That made me doze off and on throughout the treatment.
It was wonderful not having to chew on ice chips like I did during the AC treatments. No queaziness at all. That's a bonus in itself!
Afterward, I felt tipsy. Kind of like I gulped down a couple glasses of wine.
Footing was alittle off at times. Reactions slightly slower. I understand why they don't want you to drive afterward! But for the most part I was able to function at home okay. (just alittle slower).
No fever or chills during or after.
3 hours after returning home, I took the best 1 1/2 hr nap I've had in a long time!
This evening, I am feeling just fine, except for some heartburn (probably from eating a tuna sandwich....I forgot tuna can sometimes give me heartburn); I'm just going to ride that out for now, because I'm not sure what I can take or not take at this time.
Just wanted to let you all know that my anxiety about this day seems to have been unwarranted. To anyone else who is going to start Taxol/Herceptin.......don't be nervous. I think the anxiety prior to the treatment was worse than the treatment itself!
Hopefully, with exercise & a balanced diet, the next 11 weeks will be just the same.
I'll keep everyone updated!
Sadie
sadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 12:12 AM   #23
lu ann

I had my best results from taking taxol along with herceptin, carboplatin, and zometa(for bone-mets). I had this treatment for 6 months, having tax., herc., carbo,. 3 weeks on/1 off. I had the zometa monthly. The side effects were minimal because my dose was spread out over 3 weeks rather the full dose once every three weeks. I lost about 80% of my hair, had some bone pain, and some digestive upset. About 3 months into treatment my hair started to grow back and bone pain was almost non-existant. I never experienced neuropathy. My ca15-3 went from 111 to 21, which was well within the normal range. Blessings, Lu Ann.
lu ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:03 PM   #24
Unregistered

I took Taxol + Herceptin for 12 weeks from September 2005 through December 7 2005 for stage 3 BC. I received Benedryl and some sterioids through IV as premeds before receiving the Taxol and Herceptin. I would doze through treatments and be a bit groggy the rest of the day, but I had no problems with foods tasting bad to me or any other side effects. My hair slowly started to grow back so that I had a short covering at the time of my completion. I am now taking herceptin once every three weeks with no premeds and taking the infusion over 30 minutes rather than an hour and a half. I have not had any problems with this (so far I have had 3 of these treatments). I am also into my 4th week of radiation and it, too, has been going well for me. I am being treated at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #25
sadie

Guest,
It sounds like you're thru the worst of it! Congratulations!
I'm glad to hear that your hair started growing back too!
I will never again complain about having to go for a haircut appt!
It sounds like you're handling everything very well.
I don't really have any problems with food tasting bad. Sometimes, for a few days after my treatments, some food seems to be alittle bland, but that doesn't last long.
My only problem now is the heartburn and the feeling like an apple is stuck in my throat everytime I swallow. That only lasts a couple of days, tho. Last time, they told me it was thrush (because the last 2 times I had sore spots on my tongue) and they said there were probably more down the esophagus.
But this time there are no spots on my tongue. I think it may be acid reflux because I get a burning pain too.
But if that is the worst that happens, I will be happy.
After this 12 weeks of Herceptin/Taxol, I too will be on Herceptin once every 3 weeks for 1 year. I hope I handle everything as well as you have!
Sadie
Old 02-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #26
sadie

lu ann,
It sounds like you did really well!
I'm glad you told us about having hardly any bone pain and no neuropathy.
Those were 2 other concerns of mine. I hope I do as well as you!
The nurses at my onc's office keep stressing to me about the tiredness building up over time. That is another concern I have.
I'm hoping that I will do well enough so that I won't have to miss any work.
I'm not familiar with ca15-3. What is that?
Anyway, I'm glad your numbers are in the normal range!
Keep us updated!
Sadie
Old 02-25-2006, 12:19 AM   #27
sadie

Just had my 3rd treatment

Had my 3rd treatment of Herceptin/Taxol today.
Still doing good. Slept thru whole treatment. Gosh that Benadryl is good!
Tonight, I had just a few muscle aches in lower back & legs.
Don't know if it's from the treatment or because I need more exercise.
Tipsy alittle longer this time (about 5 hrs compared to 2-3 after the 1st 2 treatments).
Turns out the "apple stuck in my throat feeling" is acid reflux.
They gave me a script for prevacid and that did the trick.
I'll keep you updated.
Sadie