HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2006, 07:51 PM   #21
Barbara

Late Herceptin

Cathy:

I read an article that said the for pre-menopausal women that the highest risk of re-occurence extends out through the fifth year and that for post-menopausal women the high risk period is the first four years. Were you pre or post-menopausal at your intial diagnosis?

Barb
Barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 12:36 PM   #22
Unregistered

Smile

I was diagnosed in JAN.04 with a large tumor (3.5 cm.) , 10 positive lymph nodes, Er and Pr +++ and Her2 +++ by Fish. I received AC dose dense followed by Taxol dose-dense , radiation and am now on Arimidex ( all this of course after surgery ). I feel okay outside of joint pain and fatigue from the Arimidex. I live in Israel and my oncologist was very ambivalent when I brought up Herceptin 2 months ago. I even went to New York to get another opinion and there the answer was a flat no. I just couldn't make my peace with this answer and have been wandering around thinking that I am missing something that I need. To make a long story short last week I called my Oncologist again and today I received my loading dose of Herceptin. I don't know I am going to continue to pay for it but at this point I'm so happy to be doing everything I can. Ladies, don't give up ! People including doctors sometime change their minds
Old 02-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #23
TriciaK

It was 15 years since my last BC mets (to my spine) and 20 years since my first BC and mastectomies, and then BC mets showed up in my lungs almost 2 years ago. This time the test showed her2,pr and er positive. My oncologist didn't hesitate to start me immediately on herceptin with femara and 6 weeks of navelbine, even though I had just had a heart attack. I was NED on my last PET, so the herceptin worked in the 15 months I was on it, even though it did eventually lower my ejection fraction and I am now off herceptin. I didn't know about herceptin when I was diagnosed this time, but I am so thankful to have an oncologist who is very much on top of things. I think if you are her2+, you should absolutely insist on herceptin and if you have to, change oncologists until you find one willing to work with you. It's your body, and your life!! Don't give up the fight! Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote