HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-18-2006, 09:32 PM   #1
Chelee

18 tx seems longer then most?

I am still so new to all this and had a questions about my chemo if anyone could enlighten me. I see alot of people mention they had 6 treatments of AC, or 12 treatments of Herceptin, Taxotere, etc. I see people with four, six, twelve...but *not* eighteen like me?

I know everyones treatment plans are different depending on stage, tumor makers etc. But I have found quite a few that are pretty close to mine and no one is having 18 treatments like I am. I thought maybe eighteen was normal till I have read so many posts that I am almost blind. lol

I am a stage IIIA, high grade aggressive cancer...Er & Pr was first said to be weakly positive...but last visit now he did another FISH and said it is positive on both. (Why it changed is beyond me...he doesn't take time to explain things to me.) Also I am Her2/Neu 3 +++. So with that information...is it normal for me to have 18 treatments?

I first thought I was going to be going in every three weeks like I see most people do. But I now find out its weekly. My first chemo was Feb. 7th which at that time I had the Herceptin, Taxotere, and Carbpotin. Then the following week I had JUST the Herceptin....and this Monday will be JUST the Herceptin again. Then the next week...back to all three drugs...and this goes on for a total of 18 weeks as I mentioned. Is this a little longer time then most...or pretty normal with my markers?

I was told my case was discussed with a board of doctors that decide on my treatment plan...so maybe its more normal then I think. I just get tired of this weekly deal and I just started. But I will do whatever it takes to kick some "C" behind.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
jhandley

Smile Its good

Hi

If I read this right you are having 6 cycles of chemo.; one every three weeks. That is pretty standard. Carboplatin/taxotere is an excellent combo. with herceptin. I had 6 cycles of taxol with herceptin and wanted to add in carboplatin due to trial results showing it more that doubled time to progression but wasnt able to. Platinum drugs are profoundly synergistic with herceptin so you have good "medicine" there.
Jackie

Last edited by jhandley; 02-18-2006 at 11:09 PM.. Reason: mistake
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 11:12 PM   #3
Sherryg683

Yes, you are counting weeks instead of treatment. 18 weeks..pretty much equals 6 treatments...pretty normal..sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 04:03 AM   #4
RhondaH

Thumbs up Like Jackie said...

This is GOOD AND what you need to understand is that treatment plans are CONSTANTLY changing (I STILL have not found anyone who did MY treatment plan... 6 rounds of TEC...Taxotere, Epirubicin(I think he gave me THIS instead of Andromyacin due to the cardiotoxicity and the possiblity of recurring and NEEDING Herceptin) and Cytoxan dose dense...though I ORIGINALLY wasn't going to receive Herceptin as I am Stage 1 and my treatment was BEFORE the Herceptin results but at my 1st 3 mo followup, my onc put me on it every 3 weeks for a year, last one will be 8/10/06)). Take care and God bless.

Rhonda
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #5
Alice

It can all be a little confusing at first. When I saw my treatment plan at first I thought the same thing. After I compaired it to others it was clearer what was meant by one cycle.When I was on carboplatin/taxol/herceptin it was done weekly as yours is only I had the chemo with herceptin 3 weeks on and the 4th week only the herceptin.After I was done with chemo I was switched to herceptin every 3 weeks. This seems to becoming the standard and they may switch you after chemo is done for the remainder of the year. With a couple of delays due to low WBC counts my chemo took aprox 22 weeks to complete so you are right on track.It sounds like a good regimen to me and you will get used to it.I know it isn't much fun but the time will pass and the most important thing is that you are here in the end and keep up the good fight.
Also if you are truly er/pr + this gives you more ammo to fight with.

My thoughts are with you, Alice

Last edited by Alice; 02-19-2006 at 08:35 AM..
Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 09:00 PM   #6
Unregistered

Thank you Jackie & Sherry for letting me know this is pretty normal. I thought he was doing mine much diffferent then everyone else. But now I understand THANKS to the way you explained it and posted it. I don't know WHY he couldn't of said it the way you and Sherry said it. Or...maybe its just me...I am always so nervous...I hear things and it all goes in one ear and out the other. So its really six tx....that DOES make sense. (Gee...aren't I the smart one.) Hey...maybe I can use the excuse that its my chemo brain setting in already. lol

And thank you Alice for you reply. Makes me feel better to see others that were on the same drugs as me...although you recieved your differently. So you went 22 weeks. I finally understand now...yeah for this board and all of you for explaining it to me. I ask my oncologist things and he either changes the subject...or just plain isn't good at letting me know what exactly it is I am asking him. Its sure funny you guys all understood it. (so its NOT me.) lol I am hoping I don't get any delays as you mentioned Alice due to WBC...he already checked mine last time and its low. Not too bad yet...but I know this week I have to go in the day AFTER my Herceptin and get a shot of Neulasta...which I dread because I hear it causes bad bone pain. I have had more then enough bone pain already. The the thought of more isn't making me very happy. He said NOT everyone gets it...but from what I have read it sure seems like MOST do then not. O'well..what can I do...I have no choice. I will find out this Tues...thats for sure.

Many thanks to you also Ronda. You mentioned how treatment plans are changing constantly. My oncologist told me that...but didn't get into details. He did tell me how things are different on the *East* coast verses the *West* coast. I don't know why that is...but he says so.

I have to admit Ronda...I have read alot of posts from people on different chemos and I can certainly say I have *never* heard of anyone that was on your type of chemo either? Usually if you look long and hard enough...you will find someone. But that is a new one one me. I have never heard of the one drug you mentioned called * Epirubicin*?But you are probably right about the reason he gave it to you. I do know that Andromyacin (sp) is nasty stuff and really hard on a person. So your doctor was playing it safe with the other one no doubt.

I can't thank you guys enough for your help...and taking the time to explain things to me about my treatment plan. I was really starting to wonder WHY mine seemed to different from everyone elses. Now it is very clear to me and I understand now. Thanks a million!