HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2015, 08:22 AM   #1
Freakzilla

Is it ok to take antihistamines whiilst on Tamoxifen

Hi Guys,

Is it ok to take antihistamines whilst on Tamoxifen. I go on holiday next week and before I've suffered with prickly heat.

Thanks
Freakzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
Becky

Re: Is it ok to take antihistamines whiilst on Tamoxifen

Claritin and Zrytec (or the generics of these actives) are ok but many are not like chlorotrintron etc. Ask yo ur pharmacist too. They really know this stuff. But I'm sure about those two.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
Debbie L.

Not really related (and I don't know the answer to your question, sorry). But although there's limited information (for example there's no info about what hormonal therapy the women were taking, nor about HER2) -- I thought this abstract from an ASCO poster was interesting. The results differed across various 2nd generation antihistamines (and some results were not significant). They say the mechanism is not known, but the abstract appears in the immunology category, and action on cytokines is mentioned.

Abstract:
Background: Subgroups of patients with breast cancer (BC) could be candidates for immunological interventions. In the present investigation the role of antihistamines on prognosis of breast cancer has been studied, especially comparing first and second generation H-1 receptor antagonists due to their possible different effects on cytokines. Methods: The study includes all women with BC diagnosed in Sweden 2000 through 2008 (n = 54406). Dates of birth, BC diagnosis and TNM-stage were directly extracted from the cancer registry. Therapy with antihistamines was gathered from the Swedish Prescription Registry. Other registries utilised were the Cause of Death Registry, Population Registry, and the in patient or out patient registries. BC and overall survival was compared between users of antihistamines and non users. Analyses were adjusted for TNM-stage, receptor status and age at diagnosis. A late entry model was used for different types of antihistamines. Results: The HR for BC specific survival for the combined group of antihistamine users (n = 9777) was 0.70 (0.66-0.75). All the effect was seen for use after BC diagnosis. Results remained after adjusting for out or in patient diagnoses of allergy. In late entry models women using desloratadine (n = 1895) had a HR of 0.69 (0.52-0.91). Loratadine users (n = 2132) HR of 0.74 (0.60-0.93). Cetirizine users (n = 3001) HR of 1.13 (0.96-1.33) and Klemastine users (n = 2278) had a HR of 0.98 (0.80-1.19). Ebastin users (n = 326) had a HR of 0.50 (0.22-1.12) and Fenofexadine users (n = 145) had a HR of 0.73 (0.30–1.76). The analyses was also stratified for ER-status, but the results did not differ noticeably. Results were similar when overall survival was analysed. Conclusions: This population based registry study shows that women treated with second generation antihistamines have a better overall and BC specific survival compared with non users regardless of age, history of allergy, ER status and tumor stage. The results are strongest for desloratadine use and use after BC diagnosis. Second generation antihistamines could offer a nontoxic therapy for both receptor positive and negative BC. The mechanism behind this effect is presently unknown.

2015 ASCO Annual Meeting
Abstract No:3062
Citation:
J Clin Oncol 33, 2015 (suppl; abstr 3062)
Author(s): Hakan Lars Olsson, Rickard Einefors, Per Broberg; Department of Oncology, Lund, Sweden; Department of Cancer Epidemiology, Lund University, Lund, Sweden; Department of Cancer Epidemiology, Lund University, Lund, Lund, Sweden
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:45 AM   #4
snolan

I have taken claritin and zrytec.
Tamox.
25 radiation tx
Removal of expander on L due to infection. Tried to save it had 3 bouts of antibiotics and went to see plastic surgeon 2-3x wk to get drained. Saving it was my idea not his. But lost it anyway.
Reconstruction set for December 21st,2011
Finished chemo 12/2010
Finished Herceptin 8/26/11
Reconstruction 12/21/11
Expanders exchanged for silicon 3/19/12
Nipple reconstruction 5/18/12
Nipple tatooing- 7/9/12- All done yay!
11/22/12-Went back to get scar tissue stretched to even the outside of breast, didn't work due to it being radiated skin.
snolan is offline   Reply With Quote