HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
StephN

Question What does this site mean to you?

Don't be shy.

Joe posted a sticky titled "We Need Your Help."

I think there is an exciting opportunity for the members here to think about and express what we individuals have gained by visiting and interacting here.

The operative words in Joe's message repeated below for me is "impact of our organization."

It was Christine's idea to get this up and running, but not everyone has had direct contact with her. We have had plenty of contact and interpersonal relationships with others here that would be important in giving the whole picture of what has been accomplished by this web site.

Finding so many others who care so much about total strangers brings out the inate good in people.

"Last year, we received a grant to put Christine's personal story and the impact of our organization into writing.

Our writer is looking for anecdotes about Christine and the HER2 Support Group to include in the book.

Please send to: ctaghdiri@yahoo.com

Thank you all,

Joe"

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
sarah

Re: What does this site mean to you?

what does this site mean to me? a life line. The only site that can answer questions about HER2. It's my HER2 family and I'm extremely grateful that Joe and Christine created it. They have made my life better and brighter. I cannot find words enough to thank them.
And the community they have brought together is amazing, so knowledgeable and compassionate.
Thank you.
health and happiness
hugs and love
sarah
Old 04-19-2010, 08:25 AM   #3
Margerie

Great people. Great discussion. Great opportunity to learn and be pro-active with your own Her 2 health. I thank Joe and Christine in my heart every time I check in here.

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #4
ElaineM

Wink Re: What does this site mean to you?

This site (community) is an excellent source of health education and a wonderful source of friendship with others who have some of the same health problems I have. Thanks Joe, Christine and her2support.org friends.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
tricia keegan

I still have problems understanding a lot regarding my her2 dx, it's wonderful to come here and have it explained to me if I'm curious about something.
I also have never posted a thread for help that was'nt answered by many, this is a wonderful site and a caring community and while I may not get here every day, I look forward to checking in when I can
Thanks for posting this Steph!!!
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
SoCalGal

Joe once said that he and Christine feel that we are all guests in their living room. For me that statement best described the tone of Her2support.

When I was first diagnosed with metastatic breast cancer, I was lucky enough to stumble onto this site as part of my online research. Here I was able to connect with so many wise women and men, many who were already walking the path ahead of me.

I logged on every single night to talk to my new-found family. It was my lifeline, my proof that one COULD survive. Reporting on my treatment, my worries, side-effects and also seeking the sage advice of the board – asking questions about things I did not understand. I read through the clinical trial links posted, read ways to manage side effects, read questions to ask my doctor, noted out-of-state doctors to contact, plus got emotional support. We discussed topics our doctors wouldn’t touch, politics as they related to cancer & healthcare, cancer’s negative effect on our sex-lives, the toll on our families, our relationships, our concerns for quality of life, and endless support, which was really about how to have faith, grace and courage in this nightmare of a setting. I cannot even express how astonished I was at the information posted and exchanged by other members. It was so candid, generous and real.

Sometimes one can wait a week for information from the oncologist’s office. Here you can post a question, and feel assured that the smartest, brightest and most caring community members will respond within hours. Not just touchy-feely support, but IMPORTANT medical related information, when to go to the ER, when to insist upon a scan, and also the magic words to give you the fortitude to face the Gamma Knife facility in the morning, knowing that a halo had to be screwed into your head. After all, if someone in the her2 family can do it, you can do it, too!

Having an international network that functions as an extended family is a remarkable creation. Christine had an important vision. She is the ultimate warrior woman, Joe the ultimate supportive and dedicated husband. I thank Joe and Christine from the bottom of my heart for what they have created.
(Flori)
‘03 latisimus dorsi flap to remove skin mets. CLEAN MARGINS. Continue single agent Herceptin thru 4/04. NED.
‘04 '05 & 06 tiny recurrences - scar line. surgery to cut out. NED each time.
1/2006 Rads again, to scar line. NED.

3/07 Heartbreaking news - mets! lungs.sternum. Try Tykerb/Xeloda. Tykerb/Carbo/Gemzar. Switch Oncs.
12/07 Herceptin.Tykerb. Markers go stable.
2/8/08 gamma knife 13mm stupid brain met.
3/08 Herceptin/tykerb/avastin/zometa.
3/09 brain NED. Lungs STABLE.
4/09 attack sternum (10 daysPHOTONS.5 days ELECTRONS)
9/09 MARKERS normal!
3/10 PET/CT=manubrium intensely metabolically active but stable. NEDhead.
Wash out 5/10 for tdm1 but 6/10 CT STABLE, PET improving. Markers normal. Brain NED. Resume just Herceptin plus ZOMETA
Dec 2010 Brain NED, lungs/sternum stable. markers normal.
MAR 2011 stop Herceptin/allergy! Go back on Tykerb and switch to Xgeva.
May-Aug 2011 Tykerb Herceptin Xgeva.
Sept 2011 Tykerb, Herceptin, Zometa, Avastin.
April 2012 sketchy drug trial in NYC. 6 weeks later I’m NED!
OCT 2012 PET/CT shows a bunch of freakin’ progression. Back to LA and Herceptin.avastin.zometa.
12/20/12 add in PERJETA!
March 2013 – 5 YEARS POST continue HAPZ
APRIL 2013 - 6 yrs stage 4. "FAILED" PETscan on 4/2/13
May 2013: rePetted - improvement in lungs, left adrenal stable, right 6th rib inactive, (must be PERJETA avastin) sternum and L1 fruckin'worsen. Drop zometa. ADD Xgeva. Doc says get rads consultant for L1 and possible biopsy of L1. I say, no thanks, doc. Lets see what xgeva brings to the table first. It's summer.
June-August 2013HAPX Herceptin Avastin Perjeta xgeva.
Sept - now - on chemo hold for calming tummy we hope. Markers stable for 2 months.
Nov 2013 - Herceptin-Perjeta-Avastin-Xgeva (collageneous colitis, which explains tummy probs, added Entocort)
December '13 BRAIN MRI ned in da head.
Jan 2014: CONTINUING on HAPX…
FEB 2014 PetCT clinical “impression”: 1. newbie nodule - SUV 1.5 right apical nodule, mildly hypermetabolic “suggestive” of worsening neoplastic lesion. 2. moderate worsening of the sternum – SUV 5.6 from 3.8
3. increasing sclerosis & decreasing activity of L1 met “suggests” mild healing. (SUV 9.4 v 12.1 in May ‘13)
4. scattered lung nodules, up to 5mm in size = stable, no increased activity
5. other small scattered sclerotic lesions, one in right iliac and one in thoracic vertebral body similar in appearance to L1 without PET activity and not clearly pathologic
APRIL 2014 - 6 YRS POST GAMMA ZAP, 7 YRS MBC & 18 YEARS FROM ORIGINAL DX!
October 2014: hold avastin, continue HPX
Feb 2015 Cancer you lost. NEDHEAD 7 years post gamma zap miracle, 8 years ST4, +19 yrs original diagnosis.
Continue HPX. Adding back Avastin
Nov 2015 pet/ct is mixed result. L1 SUV is worse. Continue Herceptin/avastin/xgeva. Might revisit Perjeta for L1. Meantime going for rads consult for L1
December 2015 - brain stable. Continue Herceptin, Perjeta, Avastin and xgeva.
Jan 2016: 5 days, 20 grays, Rads to L1 and continue on HAPX. I’m trying to "save" TDM1 for next line. Hope the rads work to quiet L1. Sciatic pain extraordinaire :((
Markers drop post rads.
2/24/16 HAP plus X - markers are down
SCIATIC PAIN DEAL BREAKER.
3/23/16 Laminectomy w/coflex implant L4/5. NO MORE SCIATIC PAIN!!! Healing.
APRIL 2016 - 9 YRS MBC
July 2016 - continue HAP plus Xgeva.
DEC 2016 - PETCT: mets to sternum, lungs, L1 still about the same in size and PET activity. Markers not bad. Not making changes if I don't need to. Herceptin/Perjeta/Avastin/Xgeva
APRIL 2017 10 YEARS MBC
December 2017 - Progression - gonna switch it up
FEB 2018 - Kadcyla 3 cycles ---->progression :(
MAY30th - bronchoscopy, w/foundation1 - her2 enriched
Aug 27, 2018 - start clinical trial ZW25
JAN 2019 - ZW25 seems to be keeping me stable
APRIL 2019 - ONE DOZEN YEARS LIVING METASTATIC
MAY 2019 - progression back on herceptin add xeloda
JUNE 2019 - "6 mos average survival" LMD & CNS new single brain met - one zap during 5 days true beam SBRT to cord met
10/30/19 - stable brain and cord. progression lungs and bones. washing out. applying for ds8201a w nivolumab. hope they take me.
12/27/19 - begin ds8401a w nivolumab. after 2nd cycle nodes melt away. after 3rd cycle chest scan shows Improvement, brain MRI shows improvement, resolved areas & nothing new. switch to plain ENHERTU. after 4th cycle, PETscan shows mostly resolved or improved results. Markers near normal. I'm stunned but grateful.
10/26/20 - June 2021 Tucatinib/xeloda/herceptin - stable ish.

Last edited by SoCalGal; 05-01-2010 at 05:32 PM..
SoCalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:27 AM   #7
Sheila

Christine and Joe have created a lifeline for me...a place to go where someone will understand my fears, my joys, my good news and my bad news.

What started for me as an informational site, has become family....many of us have never met in person, and maybe never will, and yet we are a family , as close as many can be, we are support for each other, we are that shoulder to cry on, that leg to stand on, that arm to lean on, that hand to hold.

Christine gave us the ultimate gift....knowledge, love and support...the courage to trod on each day, to ask for help when we fall back or are weak, this gift is the Her2Support Group.

Thank you Joe and Christine, for you vision and this gift you have given us, my life has been forever changed not only by breast cancer, but by your creation of this family bond!

Hugs & Blessings
Sheila
Diagnosed at age 49.99999 2/21/2002 via Mammography (Calcifications)
Core Biopsy 2/22/02
L. Mastectomy 2/25/2002
Stage 1, 0.7cm IDC, Node Neg from 19 nodes Her2+++ ER PR Neg
6/2003 Reconstruction W/ Tissue Expander, Silicone Implant
9/2003 Stage IV with Mets to Supraclavicular nodes
9/2003 Began Herceptin every 3 weeks
3/2006 Xeloda 2500mg/Herceptin for recurrence to neck nodes
3/2007 Added back the Xeloda with Herceptin for continued mets to nodes
5/2007 Taken Off Xeloda, no longer working
6/14/07 Taxol/Herceptin/Avastin
3/26 - 5/28/08 Taxol Holiday Whopeeeeeeeee
5/29 2008 Back on Taxol w Herceptin q 2 weeks
4/2009 Progression on Taxol & Paralyzed L Vocal Cord from Nodes Pressing on Nerve
5/2009 Begin Rx with Navelbine/Herceptin
11/09 Progression on Navelbine
Fought for and started Tykerb/Herceptin...nodes are melting!!!!!
2/2010 Back to Avastin/Herceptin
5/2010 Switched to Metronomic Chemo with Herceptin...Cytoxan and Methotrexate
Pericardial Window Surgery to Drain Pericardial Effusion
7/2010 Back to walking a mile a day...YEAH!!!!
9/2010 Nodes are back with a vengence in neck
Qualified for TDM-1 EAP
10/6/10 Begin my miracle drug, TDM-1
Mixed response, shrinking internal nodes, progression skin mets after 3 treatments
12/6/10 Started Halaven (Eribulen) /Herceptin excellent results in 2 treatments
2/2011 I CELEBRATE my 9 YEAR MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/5/11 begin Gemzar /Herceptin for node progression
2/8/2012 Gemzar stopped, Continue Herceptin
2/20/2012 Begin Tomo Radiation to Neck Nodes
2/21/2012 I CELEBRATE 10 YEARS
5/12/2012 BeganTaxotere/ Herceptin is my next miracle for new node progression
6/28/12 Stopped Taxotere due to pregression, Started Perjeta/Herceptin
Sheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:42 AM   #8
Brenda S

Smile Re: What does this site mean to you?

What does this site mean to me? It means more than my meager language skills can articulate adequately. I'll try.
This site means the following to me:
Support, solace, information, kindness, concern, camaraderie, fellowship, comfort, enlightenment, confidence, energy, strength, empathy, sympathy, HOPE, toughness, sharing................and so much more.

My husband sent this to me during the darker periods of "our" battle. It is worth a few moments of your time.
http://thegoodnessoflife.com/
Cheers,
Brenda

Grade 2
Node negative
clean margins
Stage 1
lumpectomy 4/08
Mammocite Radiation 4/08
Will begin TCH Chemo 5/08
TCH 3 week cycle for 6 cycles
Herceptin alone for 18 more treatments on a 3 week cycle
Total chemo 12 months
Neulasta 24 hours after each cycle
Brenda S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:03 AM   #9
sarah

Thanks Brenda, I think "the goodness of life" exemplifies this site, its caring founders and members.
health and happiness
sarah
Old 04-20-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
bejuce

A source of information like no other, a source of inspiration, a source of hope, a source of support, a source of spiritual connectedness with fellow breast cancer patients/victims/fighters/survivors, and an outpouring of love from newfound friends.

Thank you Joe and Christine for all that you do for us, and thank you everyone who posts your stories here.

Diagnosed on 02/18/09 at 38 with a huge 12x10 cm tumor, after a 6 month delay. Told I was too young and had no risk factors. Found swollen node during breastfeeding.
March-August 09: neo-adjuvant chemo, part of a trial at Stanford (4 DD A/C, 4 Taxotere with daily Tykerb), loading dose of Herceptin
08/12/09 - bye bye boobies (bilateral mastectomy)
08/24/09 - path report shows 100 % success in breast tissue (no cancer there, yay!), 98 % success in lymphatic invasion, and even though 11/13 nodes were still positive, > 95 % of the tumor in them was killed. Hoping for the best!
September-October 09: rads with daily Xeloda
02/25/10 - Cholecystectomy
05/27/10 - Bone scan clear
06/14/10 - CT scan clear, ovarian cyst found
07/27/10 - Done with Herceptin!
02/15/11 - MVA-BN HER-2 vaccine trial
03/15/11 - First CA 15-3: 12.7 and normal, yay!
10/01/11 - Bone scan and CT scan clear, fatty liver found
now on Tamoxifen and Aspirin

bejuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
tricia keegan

I sent my comments to the e mail address Joe provided who is doing the write up for this, had an acknowlegment earlier so would suggest everyone else send their comments there
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Shobha

It was such a relief to find this site after I was diagnosed with Her2 BC. I share my worries, fears more freely here than even with my family since I do not want to burden them. This site helps me cope and be normal loving person to my family. This is very important to me.

I wait eagerly to read the latest medical research and clinical trial information every day. I am so grateful to Christine and Joe for providing us with this warm, knowledgeable and compassionate extended family.

-shobha
BRCA 1 and 2 - Negative
Jan 2008 - Bilateral mastectomy, prophylactic Rt. side.
Radiation for 5 weeks
Completed my yr of herceptin on 07-14-2008
Brain MRI - 3/2/09 Clean
Shobha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #13
juanita

I wish I'd known about this site when i was first diagnosed and was going thru such hell with my first oncologist. I've learned alot since then and even though I'm 5 years out I would REALLY be lost without all of you!
1 yr herceptin,
juanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #14
chrisy

Oh, don't get me going! You know how I run off at the mouth, with tears streaming down my face.

When I was initially diagnosed with Her2+ stage IV breast cancer I knew little other than I was now living under a death sentence. I had great doctors who had told me that there was a lot of research going on for "your type of cancer" and that there were treatments that could work well, maybe for quite a while.

I was guided to other support groups and online resources and although I found tiny snippets of hope, these places were not, for me, so supportive - and frequently left me even more depressed and hopeless.

I stumbled onto the Her2support.org site via a link on Dr. Susan Love's website. Although I did not register or post for over 8 months, this site quickly became my lifeline.

At first, I mainly scoured for information - and Her2support.org became my gateway to the most current and exciting research about Her2+ cancer. What I valued most was that what was posted here was real, "credible" research - not just a bunch of people pooling their ignorance and bad attitudes. I didn't care that some of it was just in mice, or even in petri dishes - there were rays of hope that threatened to burst into sunny days and a future that I might live to see.

I was grateful for the people who shared these articles - like Lani, R.B., Becky and others - with just enough translation to english to excite my imagination. Who knew I would eventually become a person who would learn to use words like antiangiogenic and antibody drug conjugate in sentences and actually understand what I was saying? These people helped me bridge the chasm of my ignorance.

Later I began to engage more within the "support" areas of the forums - again, searching for hope in the people who like me were fighting advanced disease. I found hope, encouragement, and strength in what the people here shared. And always respect and appreciation for each other - which is not as common as you would think in online "support" groups! Her2support.org was the only place I ever felt safe enough to contribute - and actually it is still the only place I am registered and post. It was many months before I felt qualified to "say" anything - which was compounded by my circumstance of being a nightmare Stage 0 gone bad. But I even found others in a similar boat!

This is my family. I love Joe and Christine, and all of my brothers and sisters here. Especially those who are able to find the strength and courage to hang around long after they are cured.

I appreciate being allowed to feel welcomed among the newly diagnosed and soon to be cured majority - welcomed, not cast out into the "dying people only" groups. I love the friends I have met here and that we see each other as whole people who are living with/fighting a disease - not people who are defined strictly and exclusively by that circumstance.

Joe and Christine have opened their living room (albeit in cyberspace) to us - and it is a place of hope, respect, friendship, encouragement, laughter, love and - most especially - living.

Love and kisses to all...
chris
10/04-3/05 Weekly Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin , complete response!
04/05 - 4/07 Herception every 3 wks, Continue NED
04/07 - recurrence to liver - 2 spots, starting tykerb/avastin trial
06/07 8/07 10/07 Scans show stable, continue on Tykerb/Avastin
01/08 Progression in liver
02/08 Begin (TDM1) trial
08/08 NED! It's Working! Continue on TDM1
02/09 Continue NED
02/10 Continue NED. 5/10 9/10 Scans NED 10/10 Scans NED
12/10 Scans not clear....4/11 Scans suggest progression 6/11 progression confirmed in liver
07/11 - 11/11 Herceptin/Xeloda -not working:(
12/11 Begin MM302 Phase I trial - bust:(
03/12 3rd times the charm? AKT trial

5/12 Scan shows reduction! 7/12 More reduction!!!!
8/12 Whoops...progression...trying for Perjeta/Herceptin (plus some more nasty chemo!)
9/12 Start Perjeta/Herceptin, chemo on hold due to infection/wound in leg, added on cycle 2 &3
11/12 Poops! progression in liver, Stop Perjeta/Taxo/Herc
11/12 Navelbine/Herce[ptin - try for a 3 cycles, no go.
2/13 Gemzar/Carbo/Herceptin - no go.
3/13 TACE procedure
chrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:23 PM   #15
StephN

WOW - some really heartfelt replies here.

Does everyone who posted on this thread AGREE that their comments may be forwarded to the woman who is doing the book about Christine?

(Which prompted this thread in the first place.)

Thanks to those who sent their writing on to ctaghdiri@yahoo.com, the book author.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #16
CourtneyL

I was all set to receive Whole Brain Radiation for brain mets last spring when I posted on this website and was given some incredible advice about the advantages of doing targeted radiation, such as Gamma Knife, and saving WBR for down the road should I ever need it.

As it turned out, Gamma Knife was all I needed to get me to NED in the head. I was spared the potentially horrible side effects associated with WBR.

I can not thank the ladies and gentlemen on this website enough for the invaluable advice and encouragement that they gave to me in my time of need.

I've also received so many good suggestions for tips on diet, nutrition, supplements, etc. I credit much of my health successes today to the information I received on this site.

Plus, knowing I am not alone as I wage war on this beast has made all the difference in the world. There is strength in numbers and together we can beat this beast.

Thank you, Christine and Joe.

Jan 09-April 09: Brain mets. Add Tykerb. Watch and wait.
April 09: Gamma Knife 10 brain mets, add Xeloda.
Sept 09: Gamma Knife to 1 brain met.
Nov 09- April 10: Lung progression, add Gemzar to Herceptin, Zometa.
May 10- Sept 10: HER2 Vaccine Trial

Sept 10: Add Tykerb for more brain mets.
Oct 10: Gamma Knife to 7 brain mets.
Dec 10: Switch from Zometa to Denosumab.
Jan 11: Gamma Knife to 3 brain mets.
March 11: Gemzar/Herceptin for lung/bone progression.
April 11: More brain mets - Intrathecal Herceptin
June 11: Ixempra/Herceptin for lung, soft tissue progression.
Aug 11: Gamma Knife
Sep 11: Abraxane/Herceptin
Future: NED

Send me a PM if you'd like to follow my journey on Caringbridge.
CourtneyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #17
krisvell

This HER2 site is truly a priceless gift. I too stumbled on this site after reading Christine's story on some Herceptin literature while getting one of my first chemo treatments.

I have learned to live my life thanks to the wonderful woman and men who share information and support everyone. It's my security blanket because I know no matter what happens (i.e. hoping for the best), I will get great support, advice and encouragement.

Logging onto this site every day is more important to me than checking my emails.

Thank you Christine and Joe -- from the bottom of my heart.

Kris.....
10/07/09 - Finished Chemo
10/27/09 - Mastectomy RB
Path Report: RB No residual tumor pCR,
2 of 15 pos - .5mm largest micromets
12/18/09 - Radiation started (28)
02/05/10 - Finished Radiation
01/11/10 - Started Femara
06/22/10 - Finished Herceptin.. My son's 22nd BD. Hope it's a sign! Hoping for the best.
11/15/10 - Started Walter Reed BC Vaccine trial at
1/04/11 - Sibley Mem. Had to withdraw due to met
01/23/11 - Stage IV - Brain Met 1.6cm 1.7cm
02/03/11 - Gamma Knife (2 fracts to minmize necrosis)
03/01/11 - Gamma Knife
6/11 - Necrosis
7/11 - Necrosis stopped & Tumor progression
8/11 = Now think it's really necrosis
9/11 - Avastin every two weeks -- It's working!! Necrosis is shrinking.
12/11 - Necrosis gone AVASTIN worked.
12/11 - Bone &CT found

Oct '10 - Ran Hartford 1/2 Marathon to Thank Dr. Slamon for Herceptin!
krisvell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #18
jhandley

Smile Re: What does this site mean to you?

This site provides the essential gap between the support I need from my family and friends and what I actually get.
It is the glue that holds lives together after our shattering diagnosis.

It provides the "healing of being heard" without the distractions of a physical presence.

It means hope, friendship, family and the will to go on fighting long enough to raise my daughter.

And many more things...to be continued

Jackie (down under)
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #19
MJo

The women and men on this site provided me with more support than my family, friends and co-workers did. The people around me felt so helpless. The women and men on this board know what to do and what to say.

IDC, Stage I, Grade 2
Oncotype DX Score 32
Her2++ E+P+, Node Neg.
Lumpectomy 11/04/05 Clear Margins
3 Dose dense AC (Couldn't tolerate 4)
4 Dose dense Taxol & Herc. (Tolerated well)
36 weeks Herceptin (Could not complete one year due to decrease in MUGA score)
2 years of Arimidex, then three years of Femara
Finished Femara May 2011
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:29 AM   #20
Karen Wheel

This site is really been a lifeline for me too! Since I live in Italy and I have the issues with understanding what the HECK the doctors are saying (little lone if they speak slowly enough and in the vocabulary for a 3 year old!) as I feel lost most of the time here. The therapy seems to be the same and the care seems to be good (don't have any comparison as I was never sick ... NEVER in the US), so for me its a great way to connect with real people (IN ENGLISH!) who are really walking in the same shoes as I am.

I found that here I felt very much isolated as having breast cancer is not the same as having breast cancer with a Her2 added stress. Many people would say to me comments like - I know lots of people who survive breast cancer.... blah, blah, blah .... making me feel stupid for being scared and lost. I wanted (and still want to) yell at these people and say - yah, well, did they get flipping HER2????? Even if I would say it - people wouldn't understand. Here on this site --- we all get it. We understand the fears, the gravity and the seriousness of fighting this nasty beast.

All the fears of this cancer coming back seem to be common in all of us - and the strength and overall positive and supportive nature of everyone here is priceless!

Thank you again - all you sisters - and brothers (like the wise Rich, Paul, Robert and the late great Mighty Oak) for all you do to take the time to read, write and support in your positive thoughts and deeds for all of us who are fighting this.

It is something I also try to read and contribute to every day I have internet access! Thank you again for making this site available for all of us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3-09 – Right Quadrantectomy. Clear margins.
3 lymph nodes taken - all clear
Tumor results: Stage 1, 1.5 cm, Her2 +++
Est positive 80% - Prog 10% - Ki67 postive 30%
4-09 – Became a vegan! pH balance of body - cancer can't grow in neutral pH!
4-09 Started Herceptin & Chemo (9 weeks of Navelbine *)
* FYI - when coupled with Herceptin has the same results as more toxic chemo. No brainer!
8-09 - 30 RADS
9-09 - Said NO to hormone therapy
4-10 Finished Herceptin!!!!

7-10 PET Scan & other exams .... All clear! YIPPEE!!!!
11-10 Breast, organ Ultrasounds and lung x-rays all clear no changes ... NED!

2-25-2011 --- 2 years from surgery and NED!!!!!!
7-2011 Clear bone scan and full body and head MRI! NED! NED! NED! ;-)[/SIZE]
Karen Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote