HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-04-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
greenacres

Constant all over body pain (m)...

have been browsing these boards for weeks and have posted a few times. I am 41. I was diagnosed with Stage 1, Grade 3, Her2+++ IDC and some DCIS, Tumor 1.5 cm, ER and PR NEG last December. Had a partial mastectomy, 6 cycles of Carbo and Taxotere, 33 rads and now I'm continuing my Hercpetin through end of December.

I am following up on my post from a couple of weeks ago about my pain. I have expressed my concern to my oncologist about all over body pain. I have a 30 min drive to work and just getting out of the car is painful. My wrists, legs, back, neck, elbows, fingers, legs, hips, ache all the TIME! They just prescribed me some Tramadol yesterday. I am so so so so tired all the time and recently I have felt just a tiny bit nauseated at times.

My nurse asked if I had ever been tested for Fibromyalgia. Yes, I had and I was negative. My pain at that time, came from my neck for which I had a disc replacement in 2008. I do have osteoarthritis throughout my spine. I have not had any follow-up scans since all of this began. My first PET scan revealed all ok except for two areas of uptake in the nasopharynx and both sides of the iliac bones? If I'm not having anymore scans (so they told me) how are they supposed to monitor that as the report says (will be monitored with scans during treatment).

My question is, has ANYONE else experienced this all over body pain with Herceptin or any other cancer drug? I am so sick of it. Just curious. My other concern is after my partial, they found ALH (Atypical Lobular Hyperplasia) on the tumor which was "close to the cauterized margin" - what if that spread? What if what I am feeling is mets all over the place?

My mammogram is scheduled for 12/1 and I am anxiously awaiting that day as you can imagine.

Thank you. - Sandra
Mammogram: 11/12/09
Call Back Mammo: 11/17/09
Biopsy: 11/25/09
Diagnosis Call: 12/2/09
Partial MX: 12/16/09. 3 LN clean.
6 Cycles Chemo (TCH) Jan-April/10; Herceptin all of 2010; 33 Rads complete 7/10. Herceptin done 12/10.
FOLLOW UPS:
Bil mammo, and Breast MRI 12/10 - CLEAN! (after a second lump was biopsied and BENIGN - showed giant cell reaction?).
Bil mammo 6/11 - CLEAN!
Left mammo 12/11 - CLEAN!
PET/CT scan 4/6/12 - CLEAN!
Bil mammo 8/12 - CLEAN!
November 2012 - Gallbladder Removed.
Bil MRI 2/13 - CLEAN!

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/sandragreen
greenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #2
PinkGirl

Re: Constant all over body pain (m)...

Hi Green
It's pretty 'normal' to worry about all our aches and pains and to think they mean 'mets'..... that's the name of the game for us now. Talk to your onc about how you're feeling ... some oncs will give you scans for your peace of mind.

Taxotere and Taxol can cause all over body pain and so can Herceptin. What you're describing sounds extreme but we're all different. The pain I had from Taxol and Herceptin was handled with extra strength tylenol.

Hopefully others will chime in with their opinions.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
StephN

Hi -
Taxotere was the hardest drug for me. Made me feel like someone had bludgeoned me I hurt so bad. Very flu-like. I was given Neurontin and it did help.
Some of these drugs like Carbo also have a "hangover" effect with the aches and pains.

It takes some of us longer than others for our bodies to stop having these painful disorders. Mild exercise should help, as well as relaxing in warm baths.

I also took joint compound supplement with glucosimine and chondroitin.

Let us know how it goes.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #4
MaryAn

I would think you may need to give Fibromyalgia a look at again. That is what my FM sounds like. If I get too comfy I can't move as quickly which is why I walk around the infusion room when I get treatment. Having done years...7 years to be exact of FM research...I have come to find out that FM can be triggered by trauma...ie our surgeries to remove our cancer. Ask your doc to be retested. And is there really a test for FM at this point. When my Rhuemetologist diagnosed me the only way they were able to identify it is by ruling out all other types of issues so you may want to ask if you were indeed tested for FM.
MaryAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #5
PinkGirl

Sometimes people are diagnosed with fibromyalgia when their medical files are 10 inches thick and all the tests were negative. I don't think there is an exact way to determine if you have it or not. My sister has it and your pain sounds a lot like what she goes through with a 'flare-up'.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
DiDi70

Hi Green,

I also had a lot of pain in my joints and muscles and my Oncologist and Family Doctor told me this: Herceptin can cause joint pain and muscle pain, which should subside on week three of each treatment.
Taxotere caused me significant bone pain and when coupled with the Neulasta injection to increase my blood counts, the pain was unbearable for me in the 48 hours post-Taxotere/Neulasta combo. I was prescribed hydromorph contin, which helped tremendously.

Here's the information that I found surprising: Menopause can cause joint pain and stiffness due to the withdrawal of estrogen. Maybe your Family Doctor can offer some guidance regarding that?

What works for me is to keep on moving. Walking, stretching, yoga and also I find that before I get out of bed in the morning it helps to rotate my ankles and do a few stretches as it helps me feel less stiff and sore. Also, staying hydrated is important. Some nights I take Tylenol 325 before bed so that I can fall asleep without pain. It takes the edge off. I only have 4 Herceptins left and I am hoping that much of the joint stiffness and pain will abate when it's finished.

I am going to be seeing an accupuncturist soon, as suggested by a member on this board, to help me with the symptoms of menopause. I will be sure to post to let people know if accupuncture has helped me with joint pain and stiffness related to menopause.

Thinking of you and hoping that you feel better soon,

Didi
DiDi70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
SunDiego

Didn't see it listed anywhere, so perhaps talk with your Onc about whether a biophosphonate (Zometa) might be good for you. I'd also demand a bone scan to check for mets. Even another PET/CT. It certainly couldn't hurt to make sure you have regular checking of tumor markers (CA 15-3, CA 27-29, CEA).
SunDiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Becky

First off, I want to say that you do NOT have mets all through your body. Taxanes can do quite a number on our nerves (Taxotere or Taxol). I have a friend who did develop FM from the Taxol treatments but she is doing very well now.

Herceptin also causes body pain and someone mentioned the lack of estrogen which affects all premenopausal women who get chemo. I have not yet met one woman (even those in their early 30's) who did not go through chemopause (although some women rebound 6+ months after the last chemo and get their period back). You have been smacked a triple whammy on top of known bone degeneration (you did mention prior existing neck and spine problems).

Pain is no fun at all and it needs to get addressed. If the thought of mets is also strong on your mind, get scans done to knock that out of the ballpark (sometimes no matter what any doctor, nurse or friend says - you still can't shake that nagging feeling). However, I don't think mets are your problem but you do have a problem that you have to solve so you can move on pain free.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:39 PM   #9
Mary Jo

Hello....

I just read your post and had to comment. Me and my hubby were just at the hospital where I received my chemo/herceptin (for a totally different reason this time - gall bladder) Anyway, we parked where we use to park when I had chemo treatments. As I got out of the car I said to my husband..."ohhh, I just had a flashback to when I use to come here for treatment. I remember when I'd get out of the car (after an hour drive to get their) and honestly, truly could hardly walk. OHHHHHHHHHH the stiff joints and overall pain I experienced) Now, (other than old age - I'm almost 51 ya know) the pain is all but gone!

I know it's easier said than done but PLEASE try not to worry. You do not have all over mets. You don't! Treatment will do that to you....not to mention the pschological effects of all you go through.

Praying God's peace to cover you......As time goes on, I guarantee your life will take on some sort of normalcy again.

Hugs....Mary Jo
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Dx. 6/24/05 age 45 Right Breast IDC
ER/PR. Neg., - Her2+++
RB Mast. - 7/28/05 - 4 cm. tumor
Margins clear - 1 microscopic cell 1 sent. node
No Vasucular Invasion
4 DD A/C - 4 DD Taxol & Herceptin
1 full year of Herceptin received every 3 weeks
28 rads
prophylactic Mast. 3/2/06

17 Years NED