HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #1
Lani

Thumbs up Herceptin results from the two key North American trials revisited--benefit holds up

long-term (median time on trial 8.4 years) and in all groups

http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/32/33/3744
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
tricia keegan

Re: Herceptin results from the two key North American trials revisited--benefit holds

Good news, thanks Lani.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 12:20 PM   #3
caya

Re: Herceptin results from the two key North American trials revisited--benefit holds

Thanks for posting this, Lani.

I am just over 8 years out, NED.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
suzan w

Great news!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
rhondalea

Am I missing something?

Did they really withhold Herceptin from the control group as late as 2012? Really?

Edited to add: Okay, never mind. I understand what they did. The way I read it the first time, though, I wanted to strangle them.

2/6/09 Core needle biopsy: negative; Mammos through 2010: no change
3/30/11 Pea-sized lump in left breast at site of prior biopsy; mammo negative, sonogram not so much
4/14/11 Core needle biopsy: negative for cancer
5/18/11 Excisional biopsy 1.2 cm tumor, LVI, positive margin; ER+60%,PR+20%,HER2/CEP17 5
6/15/11 BMX: Left DCIS & LH; Right ADH; SNB: 2/3 nodes: 1.4 cm and 1 mm; ALND L1&2: 0/10; Stage IIa, Grade 3
7/14/11 CT/Bone scans NED; MUGA 66%
7/19/11 Biweekly dd AC w/Neulasta; done 8/30/11
9/13/11 Transfusion (Hemoglobin 8.6); MUGA 64%
9/20/11 Start Taxol + Herceptin; Taxol done 12/6/2011; continue Herceptin until 9/4/2012
12/27/11 Radiation - 6 weeks; 2/27/2012 - DONE! Yayyyy!
2/29/12 Start Tamoxifen 20 mg/day; continue until 2/28/17
5/16/12 Start five-years Metformin trial
6/19/12 MUGA 61%
8/21/12 Brain MRI NED (head still hurts, brain still fogged)
9/4/12 Herceptin done!
9/6/12 Port out!
7/11/13 Aricept 5mg for cognitive impairment; increased to 10mg as of 8/23/13; back to 5mg 12/2013
5/2014 Add Namenda 7mg
9/2014 Stop Aricept and Namenda; Neuropsychological evaluation
10/24/14 Start cognitive rehabilitation therapy
rhondalea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
'lizbeth

Somehow I am not as excited about a DFS of 73% and overall survival as 84%.

As grateful as I am to have received Herceptin, I'm really, really glad for Tykerb, Perjeta and Kadcyla too.

This is why I get so excited about the numbers on the vaccine trials. Those look even better to me.

Herceptin got the ball rolling on our Her2 research. If the folks hadn't gotten behind this treatment and advanced it to the market many more of us would be posting about recurrence and looking for 'magic unicorns'.

I am really looking forward to how our numbers improve over the next couple decades.

We've come a long way baby!
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Becky

Remember the Herceptin trials first began using node positive women only and then migrated to node negative IF the tumor was over 1 cm. With Her2, survival was improved 33% to 52% . That correlates to someone like me of alittle less than 70% BEFORE Herceptin. And these results are bundling the stage 1 women with the stage 3c women. So, quite remarkable in my view and that the stats hold gives some reassurance that if you are okay down the road, you just may stay that way.

I am 10 years out and had to fight for Herceptin and got it alone after chemo and rads were over. I amgrateful and 10+ years out. It could have beeb my game changer and has been for many. The new drugs do enhance Herceptin but cannot replace it.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"

Last edited by Becky; 11-19-2014 at 02:26 PM..
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:14 AM   #8
RobinP

Yeah, Ned for a decade and some......!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
'lizbeth

Nope Becky, because of folks like you, the Druthers, and many others I don't remember that.

In just 3 years standard of care advanced enough that I could receive Herceptin as Stage II in late 2007. How different my experience was. It felt as scary because the numbers for my stage were based on pre-Herceptin information. The numbers for Her2+ with Pagets were grim. Herceptin changed all that.

I disagree with your current view of Herceptin. It is still to be determined exactly who it helps and who it doesn't. Patients are forced to receive it due to standard of care, even if they don't benefit. And others were left out for over a decade when Herceptin could have been the game changer for them.

If we advance technology to determine better who and when patients benefit from each Targeted treatment, Herceptin, Perjeta, Kadcyla, Tykerb, etc the numbers will become better - and we will be living longer with a much greater quality of life.

Yes, Herceptin changed the game. But, the game needs changing even more.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:39 PM   #10
Becky

I think that Herceptin helps most Her2+ women however, some women have another devil involved besides ER or PR. They may be insulin receptor positive or Her1+(aka EGFR) or something else so they need something to block that. Some women have truncated Her2 receptor so Herceptin doesn't attach to it right so it doesn't work. However, I think the Herceptin is still needed. It works but the woman has more than one "GO" button on the cancer. There is still much to learn and Herceptin and Her2 in general is just one piece of the puzzle. For some of us, ER and PR are also part of the puzzle. Once the puzzle pieces are identified, everyone will benefit. Even women who are only ER and PR positive do not all do well even though there are many hormonal treatments for this. Research is needed and ongoing. Hopefully they find more receptors for multiple targets so the chemo poisons can be stopped and treatment will be effective but there will be a better quality of life thru it.

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:03 AM   #11
'lizbeth

Love that response.

I just don't want Genentech, or anyone else to get complacent about cancer treatments.
Yes, Herceptin was a blockbuster. BUT, not just more research - a little creative thinking outside the box could have gone a long way. The industry held on to the blockbuster status way too long, when they should have been looking for ways outside of the 1 year adjuvant treatment to best use Herceptin.

I agree with what you posted. I disagree with the current system of large scale clinical trials that take years to finish. In order to achieve what you pointed out the system must be changed. The number of study participants will have to shrink. Testing needs to improve and the science behind this.

My biggest unhappiness with our current system is that Overall Survival is an acceptable endpoint. Ah, we are trying to save lives here. What kind of society allows patients to die to get a treatment approved at FDA. This is madness.

Define a new endpoint prior to death. No patient should die so that you and I can get a treatment as part of standard of care. How did this become an "acceptable insanity"?

Design a system that gives these patients many more opportunities for clinical trials at stage IV or metastatic disease. The Right to Try is the first step in the right direction. Let's run in that direction and redefine how we handle patients who are in the greatest need of a miracle.

Yes, I am impatient. I am tired of seeing progression and suffering. Thankfully it seems that a large number are being helped considerably with the new TCHP.

I do appreciate Genentech, and all others who work so hard to keep us well.

However, its not enough - keep going forward finding and improving treatments. Finding and improving testing. And each time I hear someone being complacent about HER2 cancer my little voice is going to pop up and push for progress.