HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 05-17-2017, 09:51 PM   #1
Diane6513

Herceptin and I.V. Vit. C treatments

Hi, I'm new to this group. I just finished 12 x Taxol on March 22/17 and am now just on Herceptin til December, which I get every three weeks.

A nurse at the Cancer Center where I get my treatments, told me not to take Vitamin C and stay away from Soy and Green Tea while I was on the Taxol. But it was ok to take my B vitamins, multi vitamins, Omegas and Calcium, Vit D etc. while on it she said. I asked if I could resume my Vit C orally once finished Taxol and just on Herceptin and she said yes.

I've since seen a Naturopath after finishing Taxol, seeking help in making sure my hair grows back properly. She mentioned I try I.V. Vit C and B12 treatments along with other vitamins. I've done 2 I.V. treatments so far. I do not do these Vit C I.V. treatments 7 days before and wait 7 days after the Herceptin for the next.

Has anyone heard if this is not a good thing to do. Does anyone have any info on whether this will interfere with the Herceptin? I gathered it was ok, because the Cancer nurse said it was ok for me to start back on my Vit C vitamins. This is of course, a much higher dose than my normal oral vit. c that I was usually taking. The Naturopath has done this with other cancer patients, as well.

Thank you. By the way I was diagnosed with DCIS and IDC, Stage 1A, 0/3 Nodes, with Pagets of the Nipple, and HER2+, Pr-,Er-. Had left breast mastectomy Oct. 2017.
Diane6513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:26 PM   #2
Diane6513

Re: Herceptin and I.V. Vit. C treatments

Hmmm...I'm guessing no one has input on this?
Old 05-18-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
Pamelamary

I am no expert, Diane, but I wouldn't take anything extra like IV vitamin c without running it past my oncologist.
Just saying..... Pam
Radiotherapy, i year Tamoxifen, 4 years Arimidex.
Rediagnosed 2012: Multiple bone metastases.
3/12: began on Marianne trial - T-DM1 + Pertuzamab/Placebo.
5/12:Unexpected development of numerous bilateral liver mets. Came off trial.
Started Docetaxol/ Herceptin + Zometa.
8/12:Bones stable +major regression in liver (!)
9/12:Can't take any more Docetaxol! Start on Herceptin and Tamoxifen. Cross fingers!
Changed to Denosumab.
11/12: Scan shows stable - yay!
11/13: Still stable :-) !!!
1/16: All stable, but lowered calcium, so switched to Zometa 3 monthly.
2/19: Happily still stable on Herceptin, Letrozole and 3 monthly Zometa.
Pamelamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
donocco

Diane

Im a pharmacist so I have some knowledge but the subject is contraversial. The info is 50/50. Some articles show the danger of say Vitamin C and chemo others show Vitamin C to be beneficial.

By all means, run this by your oncologist. By all means. But Ill take this advice one step further. If he is against Vitamin C (Vitamin B-12) and Herceptin ask why.

I cant say that Vitamin C wont interfere with Herceptin. I cant say it will. I did do some research and came up empty handed.

One thing I can say. It seems the contraversy between Vitamin C and chemo is the anti-oxidant effect of vitamin C interfering with the oxidant effect of chemo. Herceptin works differently than say Adriamycin. Its not a "chemo drug" in the general sense of the word like Cytoxan, Adriamycin Taxol etc are. These chemo drugs interfere with DNA replication or microtubules by chemically reacting with them.

Herceptin works differently. It interferes with a protein (Her2neu) that stimulates cancer cell growth. The side effects of true chemo drugs like adriamycin or Taxol involve comlpete scalp hair loss. I think Perjeta, another anti Her2 neu drug can cause hair loss
but its not in the same league as Adrriamycin or Taxol as far as hair loss goes.

Talk with your oncologist about this. That is a must. But take it one step further. Ask for studies showing Vitamin C Vitamin B-12 interference with Herceptin.

Im sorry for the rambling. You thought you were asking a simple question. Yet this "simple question" is like walking a tightrope. The question of supplements has arisen before. Maybe some of women on the board will jump in and give their opinions and experiences.

Paul
donocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
Diane6513

Hi, thank you for responding about this. I haven't come back on here in a while, sorry. I did ask my Oncologist about this. Well, the Triage nurse asked him. He said he didn't advise it but that it ultimately was my decision.

So, as the Nurse said he didn't say no. So I guess it's iffy. I stopped doing it after 3 treatments. But, honestly, I may start back. I don't know its a tough one. Apparrently, if you read up on it, it actually kills bad cells or something like that.

So I'm on my own with this decision.