HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-20-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
Sherryg683

Vague Pleural Density???

What the heck is a "vague pleural density.". My scans came back clear today except for a noted "6mm vague pleural density..no effusion" in my left lung that was not there previously. I have been NED since April but had 2 small lung mets that were in my right lung. My Oncologist told me immediately that it was absolutely nothing to worry about, that he had looked at the scans and it was nothing. I always look at the reports and he knew I was going to question what this was. Of course I was so glad he said my scans were clean that I didn't question him further about exactly what it was. The only thing I could find on "google" about it had to do with asbestos??? I have just finished 33 radiations that were supposedly to my right breast, I am wondering if this could be something left over from radiation. I read sometimes radiation does hit the lungs. Are any of you familiar with this term?...sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #2
karenann

Sherry,

My rad onc told me that after radiation I would probably have some scar tissue to the lungs. Maybe that is what is showing up. I am sure if it was something to worry about, your onc would have told you.

Karen
karenann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:57 AM   #3
Chelee

I am sorry as I don't have the answer for you either. But you sound like me. I got my last scans back and my oncologist said they were great. She did NOT know I had picked up a copy of the report before I went to her office. (I am getting sneaky.) But I HAVE too...they don't tell me anything at this place...its like pulling teeth...and its my body and I have a right to know EVERYTHING.

So after being told it was CLEAN...and nothing to worry about. I found several things on the report that did NOT sound good. Fluid build up in one area of the axilla. A couple other BIG words I can't spell right now that had to do with my lungs. All kinds of things. Plus my hip LITE up on the scan and she said it all was fine.

So I got back in touch with her and she said all that stuff I read was nothing for me to worry about. She said she was NOT concerned or worried about any of it. Sorry...when the report says these things should be looked into...it concerns me.

So I know how you feel when you read your report and your doctor tells you its fine. My way of thinking...if it IS all fine...then simply sit down long enough to EXPLAIN what these things mean that I obviously don't understand. I don't think that is asking too much. I even told my oncologist...your the expert..so I need your help in translating this to me.

Hopefully someone HERE Sherry will know what that means? I am sure YOUR oncologist is much more trust worthy then mine. It just might be some scar tissue build up from chemo, rads, or something else.

I wish our doctors would understand we just want to understand these things. Its NOT like we don't believe them...but we just need things explained to us so we don't worry. Its called peace of mind.

Hang in there Sherry...but I am sure your doc is being honest...it probably is nothing to worry about. Someone here will surely know what it means. Wish I could of been of more help...because I know how it feels to read that and not know what it means when they say its fine.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 06:02 AM   #4
tousled1

Wink A simple anology

Chelee,

From reading your posts I get the impession (please correct me if I'm wrong) that you really don't have much trust/faith in your oncologist. If that is indeed the case, I would suggest that you "shop around" for a new one.

Finding an oncologist, or any doctor for that matter, is like shopping for a pair of shoes -- you wouldn't buy a pair of shoes if they didn't fit properly, would you.

An oncologist that you trust and talk to is the most important issue when you have cancer of any type.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote