HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
Maggie

Muga and port question

Hi,
I am having another Muga on Wednesday. My question is... should there be someone there to access my port or should I call ahead and ask, first? I had it put in because A/C ruined my veins and when I had my last Muga, they had to stick me on the outside of my wrist. When I got home, I called my surgeon to have a port put in ASAP..

Thanks, for any help on this,
Maggie
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Tami

The lab where I had my mugas could not access my port. We were able to use my arm but if needed I could have stopped at my oncs on the way and have them access it for the muga tech.

best,

Tami
Tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
Sandy H

I get a bone and cat scan every 6 months and always stop by the oncology and they will put the needle in the port and then I go to nuclear medicine when they are done injecting then they remove the needle and I am good to go. They all work well together as a team where I do. Wishing you well. hugs, Sandy
Sandy H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
Bev

My port has only been used for infusions and not for mugas or lab work. I was under the impression that it would be used for everything, but my veins are still good. BB
Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:23 PM   #5
Karen t

After the bone or CT scans, does the port need to be flushed; if so, by whom? thanks.
Karen t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:26 PM   #6
julierene

I had to go to my cancer center nurse to get my port accessed before I walked over to Radiology to get my Muga done. I just wish I hadn't forgot to use my numbing cream! :P

They used the port to draw some of my blood, infuse the blood with a small amount of radioactive particles, and then put the blood back in.

They did a few saline flushes, the after it was all done, I went back to the cancer center and the nurse did the Heprin and we were done.
julierene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
Unregistered

My veins were getting more difficult to use, so as I still have a port, both CT and the folks who did my echo acceessed it, and it worked out great.

Shell
Old 03-07-2006, 03:35 PM   #8
Monique M

I will only use my port. As a result, I always ask when I have to go anywhere other than the clinic. Fortunately, there are a number of places where I can get my muga so I have a choice. I have terrible veins and see no sense to someone poking in my arm when I have a port in.

Peace and Blessings,
Monique

Birmingham, AL
Monique M is offline   Reply With Quote