HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
StephN

Unhappy My Medical ins - Premium nearly doubled !!!

This notice from my Regence Medadvantage plan was a shock.

My monthly premium is rising from $149 per month (with prescription coverage) to $262 for the same coverage. Actually a few slight coverage adjustments, but should not much affect my out-of-pocket or doctor visit co-pays, which remain at $10.

This is in ADDITION to the over $100 for the Medicare portion that comes out of my social security check each month. Adds up to almost $400 per month now for my medical coverage!

Anyone else had a "bad surprise" like this?

My husband has an HMO (which I had years ago for a short time) and his monthly premium is changing from $225 to $208 per month. Dental going up $10/month. Go figure.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Cal-Gal

Re: My Medical ins - Premium nearly doubled !!!

Dear Steph,

I am so sorry--I don't have any answers except that I know that something needs to be done.

I am on COBRA at the moment--(lost my job due to breast cancer diagnosis) and I am very thankful for the Obama stimulus plan.

My COBRA payments are $170 a month for the first 9 months--if I am still unemployed at month 10--my payments will be $500 a month----which is what I would be paying now without the stimulus--

I do not know how I will be able to afford that--but being under treatment--I do not have an option--I continue to pray everyday for health care that is affordable and that is quality care for all of US and for EVERYONE--

--and I continue to pray that my house (in another State) sells (on the mkt a year) and that I get a job here in Southern Cal---

Be well and again, I am so sorry to hear about this---
ILC-4 tumors-1.7 cm,1.5 cm (2).8 cm
DCIS-11 cm
All tumors Grade 3
All tumors ER-0%/PR-0%
All tumors HER2+
IHC-all tumors Overexpression/borderline
FISH 2 tumors Her2-Negative
FISH 2 tumors Her2+ Equivocal
Stage I, 0/1 nodes
LVI-Indeterminate(treated as positive)
SPR Score 8/9
Ki-67 20%
BRCA genetic test 1/2=negative
Chemo: 6 rounds TAC Feb-June 2009 w/Neulasta
Herceptin: 6/12/09-6/4/10 52weeks
HNPCC genetic test: negative
Port Placement-9/23/09 Port Removal 6/25/10
Echo's every 3 months-All normal
2/09 Staging PET/CT showed 0.2 micronodule upper R lobe-lung-Onc does not think this is mets--
6/5/09 AND 10/09 CT scan 0.2 micronodule unchanged
1/10-PET/CT-uptake in nasopharynx-
1/10-MRI All normal
6/10-Bone Scan-clear
12/10-PET/CT-All Clear-NED
12/11-PET-All Clear-NED

12/12-PET-All Clear-NED
12/13-CT w/contrast Head, Torso-All Clear
12/14-CT w/contrast Head-All Clear
2/15-Core needle biopsy-R scar line

Cal-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:39 PM   #3
Mary Anne in TX

My last month of insurance will be about $550. I've never been so excited to have a birthday...#65 in January!
Each year since diagnosis my insurance went up almost $100. The last 9+ months I had to pay $700. per treatment for herceptin to keep getting it. Not much money left, but I am alive!
They're like man eating fish! Someday it will change. Maybe we need a web site for "I" stories! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
Rich66

Steph,
Medicare advantage plans may be premptively raising rates in light of proposed fed subsidy cuts.
I know when my folks had option to transition from HMO supplemental, numerous "in the know" folks advised going with traditional medicare and adding supplementals to that.

$400/mo doesn't sound so bad when I consider I am 43, extremely healthy and my HMO is 270/mo without prescription coverage or dental.
I am investigating higher deductible plans and health savings account which can change premiums quite a bit. Might make sense for others.
Your husband's HMO sounds like a steal..or a typo Ok..must be a Medicare supplemental?
Mary Anne,
Did you have to pay for Herceptin from the beginning? Did you talk to Genentech about support?

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Lien

I'm so sorry you have to deal with this s**t on top of your medical problems. It shouldn't be necessary in the richest country in the world to not be able to afford medical treatment. I can't believe it hasn't been sorted long ago.

Despite all the negative publicity about "socialized medicine" I am very happy with our system. I pay about 370 dollars a month for our whole family. That includes dental care and all kids under 18 are free. We get to choose our own doctors, all hospital bills and all registered meds are paid for and all complementary medicine up to 1000 euro's is included as well. Our co-pay is 223 euro's a year for my husband and I, none for the kids.

We get very good care, I think, and I'm very happy with the system. I will never have to fear not being able to pay for our medical care. Unless ofcourse some meds one of us desperately needs aren't registered yet in our country. Usually meds are registered a bit earlier in the US than in the Netherlands. But so far it's only been a couple of months later.

Jacqueline
Diagnosed age 44, January 2004, 0.7 cm IDC & DCIS. Stage 1, grade 3, ER/PR pos. HER2 pos. clear margins, no nodes. SNB. 35 rads. On Zoladex and Armidex since Dec. 2004. Stopped Zoladex/Arimidex sept 2009 Still taking mistletoe shots (CAM therapy) Doing fine.
Lien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:26 PM   #6
Rich66

The typical view of "socialized medicine" doesn't seem to pertain to the Netherlands:
http://scienceblogs.com/denialism/20..._like_Neth.php

Yes, please. Sounds like a better model than public option/consumer option or competitive option..whatever the name is today. Looks more like what Fed employees have or what the rest of us could have if ins plans were offered across state lines with conditions.

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
StephN

Thanks for comiserating, everyone.

Rich - hubby's plan IS a medicare supplemental.

I am not yet 65, but got on Soc Sec disability due to brain mets and stage IV. They can review at 5 years, and since I have not had more disease, I am afraid they could kick me out of my current status if I remain "stable". Review should be in 2012 and I will not yet be 65 then.

I am saving what I can against a time I may have to pay even more or for treatments! I feel whiplash coming on in trying to follow the proposed "reforms."

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Cal-Gal

Amazing that so many of us look forward to turning 65.....I am 11 yrs away from that and know something needs to be done for all of us---and many others---
DCIS-11 cm
All tumors Grade 3
All tumors ER-0%/PR-0%
All tumors HER2+
Stage I, 0/1 nodes
SPR Score 8/9
Ki-67 20%
2/09 Staging PET/CT showed 0.2 micronodule upper R lobe-lung-Onc does not think this is mets--
1/10-MRI All normal
6/10-Bone Scan-clear
12/11-PET-All Clear-NED

12/12-PET-All Clear-NED

Old 10-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #9
Brenda_D

Maybe you can look at some other providers? Was Regence the lowest priced in your area?

I just got my Part D info today and it's going up slightly. I'm thinking of dropping it all together since I can get my current meds for way less on Walmart's 4$/10$ program, than I'm paying for my part D premiums.

Hubby just lost his insurance. He could have went on Cobra but it would be over 700$ a month for him, and $500 for me. He can't use the stimulus cobra pay help program, or they will go back and rescind everything they paid for me since April because I started on Medicare in June. I've had 2 MRI's, a pet/ct, Onc visits, and about $1000 worth of dental since April, so that's not even a option. So he's going to the VA and I'm on Medicare part A, B and D until the end of the year, then I'm up for review on SSD.
On your's, since you're stage 4, I doubt they will do more than send you a short form to fill out. I've been reading on another forum that SS is so swamped with work that they aren't bothering too many in depth reviews.
The closer you are to 55, the less they look at taking you off disabilty. It's considered "advanced" age and you are considered less able to adjust to a new line of work or training.
Old 10-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #10
hutchibk

Steph - I pay $320 per month for my govt (medicare)/private (medigap and part D) blend of coverage. I was paying $450 per month for my BCBS coverage when I canceled it a couple of years ago. Still waiting 18 months later for medicare to make good on a brain MRI that they should have paid for and we have appealed 4 times. With the way things seem to be headed, I want out of Medicare so bad I could vomit.

As I like to say: I am for enhancement and refinement, not "deform" which I fear is where we will end up. Rich, you are square on target my friend.

Lien - The dutch system in the last few years is leaps and bounds better than it used to be when it was government controlled, one that was crumbling in the last decade to one that shifts much of the financial burden to private insurance and mandates that you purchase it. Yes, your premiums are cheaper, but your taxes are much higher. However, it is hard to imagine that even though our taxes will increase, our premiums will decrease... things just aren't adding up to something smart and visionary with all of the proposals we are being pummeled with. http://www.thomaswhite.com/explore-t...re-system.aspx

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #11
Jackie07

Looks like I'm paying the most expensive one - our (COBRA)premium just went up to $899 (for the two of us) a month (starting December) from the current $749 because the school system switched the carrier from our hospital system to BCBS. There are PPO options that are much cheaper but will not cover pre-existing conditions. (Looking forward to the health care reform that hopefully will balance the bill a little better when everyone's pre-existing conditions are covered.)

We've been with the same HMO since 1991 after my first brain surgery. I had sent an e-mail to the President about our health insurance premium. I told him that back in 1991, our (my husband and I) insurance premium was a little less than 1/4 of my monthly unemployment insurance benefit. By 2003, it was more than 1/3. And now, it's more than 1/2. (No, I did not collect unemployment compensation for the whole 18 years. But every time the economy is down, I'd have major surgery and then lose my job after the one year that is protected by law.)

Being chronically ill, I know I've always consumed more than what we have put in. And our illnesses have had nothing to do with either our life style or health habits. We both were on college sports teams and have always enjoyed outdoors. One of our early dates were on the tennis court and basketball court.

One of my Church members who visited me last Sunday had commented that "Everybody's got aches and pains..." I think the hardest part on this journey is that 'Nobody knows...' the magtitude of the problems we are facing besides just aches and pains...

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 10-27-2009 at 07:33 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:57 PM   #12
DanaRT

My husband and I have private insurance. It is very expensive and I worried a great deal about the increase due to my cancer. I was assured our premium could only go up a certain percentage per year- state mandate. $100. must be a magic number.

Ours has increased by $100. This March is will probably increase again.

It is a 13% increase.

Love,
Dana

]
Diagnosed - Nov. 2, 2007 at 45
Lumpectomy - Nov. 13, 2007
Tumor 1.2 cm
Stage 1 Grade 3
ER/PR - Her2 +++ (3.8)
Taxotere/Carboplatin/Herceptin- 6 rounds
Neulasta
Radiation 33 treatments - will be done 6/6/08
Herceptin through 12/08
12/07 MUGA 61%, 4/08 MUGA 60%, 7/08 MUGA 64%
three wonderful daughters, a terrific husband,
Life is Good
DanaRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:58 PM   #13
Laurel

Jackie, this thread was kinda depressing me until I read your last line about the "aches and pains!" Oh ain't it the truth!!!! Thanks for the chuckle!

I have no idea what to think of health care. I only hope the bozos in Washington do not screw it up worse than it is!

Smile On!
Laurel

Dx'd w/multifocal DCIS/IDS 3/08
7mm invasive component
Partial mast. 5/08
Stage 1b, ER 80%, PR 90%, HER-2 6.9 on FISH
0/5 nodes
4 AC, 4 TH finished 9/08
Herceptin every 3 weeks. Finished 7/09
Tamoxifen 10/08. Switched to Femara 8/09
Bilat SPM w/reconstruction 10/08
Clinical Trial w/Clondronate 12/08
Stopped Clondronate--too hard on my gizzard!
Switched back to Tamoxifen due to tendon pain from Femara

15 Years NED
I think I just might hang around awhile....

Laurel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #14
Ruth

Steph:
I hate that it went up on you...it is so hard. I am now off COBRA but thank goodness I live in GA so I could get a conversion policy or else I wouldn't have any coverage at all because of the BC. I am self employed. I pay way too much for a huge deductible; no dental; vision or prescription drug plan (only goes against deductible) but I'm thankful I have some coverage. If I was in active disease, I would need in cash over $10k every year just to meet deductible, premiums and co-pays. Crazy!! My extended family lives in Germany and they can't believe how much we pay.
Hugs ~ Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:28 PM   #15
Cal-Gal

Hi Ruth-
What you said here is so true--people that do not have a major illness have no idea that yes you would need $10K++++ just to cover what you mentioned--

Does your policy cover pre-existing? my experience when I was SE was that it did not--did you find one that covered pre-exist?

Thanks--
DCIS-11 cm
All tumors Grade 3
All tumors ER-0%/PR-0%
All tumors HER2+
Stage I, 0/1 nodes
SPR Score 8/9
Ki-67 20%
1/10-MRI All normal
6/10-Bone Scan-clear
12/11-PET-All Clear-NED

12/12-PET-All Clear-NED

Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #16
Ruth

My policy does cover it but only due to me not having a lapse in coverage of over 60 days...GA insurance law. I had to apply and get into the high risk pool and was picked up by BCBS's high risk policy. Huge deductible and co-pays and only covers me, not my husband (who is also self employed) or the kids. Some states have this option. However, almost all states have ways of getting coverage if you are self employed. You need to incorporate your business and have one other employee (officer..usually husband/wife) on payroll and then form a group policy. You need at least 2 employees of the business to form a group policy. You will be rated, but, you can get pre-existing coverage. I am over the 5 year mark but still got quotes back being rated in the group plans. I ran the numbers and even if my husband and I decided to do a group policy his insurance premium which is ridiculously low now would cost us more with us forming a group policy than what I am doing now unless I get sick again and then we are pretty much in trouble! I deduct my premium payments and opened an HSA to help.
Hugs ~ Ruth

Diagnosed 6/03 nursing daughter
Dose dense A/C 4x
Modified rad mast 8/03
IDC; 3 cm; 10+/16 nodes; ER/PR-; Her2+++
Weekly taxol w/Herceptin (off label) 12x's
40 weeks Herceptin
Radiation 33x
Reconstruction w/ implants 05 & 07
NED
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #17
Cal-Gal

Thanks Ruth,

I am single and am going to stick to finding a full time position (currently unemployed-lost job due to dx) w/benefits-to suit my financial requirements--

I am still in treatment w/Herceptin until next June-and was just diagnosed 11 months ago--so a long road to travel down---like most everyone here, my out of pockets huge and I just cannot add the stress of a huge--

Congrats on 6 years NED!!!!!

Hugs back to you---Coral
DCIS-11 cm
All tumors Grade 3
All tumors ER-0%/PR-0%
All tumors HER2+
Stage I, 0/1 nodes
SPR Score 8/9
Ki-67 20%
1/10-MRI All normal
6/10-Bone Scan-clear
12/11-PET-All Clear-NED

12/12-PET-All Clear-NED

Old 10-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #18
Jackie07

We have the so-called 'Texas Risk Pool' here for those who have run out of COBRA. We were on it for a couple of months in the early 90's and more than a year in 2004-2005.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #19
Chelee

We are paying $555.10 per month for insurance under my husband's last employer, which was Caltech. It's Anthem Blue Cross. He could get insurance from his current employer but I don't like what they offer and it seems to be more expensive. Seems to be quite a difference in prices for all of us.

Steph...so far no big surprise...our premium has remained the same. However open enrollment for us is in November...so it may be coming soon. That's quite a big hit you took Steph...it's not right.

Chelee
Finished yr of wkly herceptin 3-19-07
3-15-07 Lt side prophylactic simple mastectomy. -- Ooph 4-05-07
9-21-09 PET/CT "Recurrence" to Rt. axllia, Rt. femur, ilium. Possible Sacrum & liver? Now stage IV.
9-28-09 Loading dose of Herceptin & started Zometa
9-29-09 Power Port Placement
10-24-09 Mass 6.4 x 4.7 cm on Rt. femur head.
11-19-09 RT. Femur surgery - Rod placed
12-7-09 Navelbine added to Herceptin/Zometa.
3-23-10 Ten days of rads to RT femur. Completed.
4-05-10 Quit Navelbine--Herceptin/Zometa alone.
5-4-10 Appt. with Dr. Slamon to see what is next? Waiting on FISH results from femur biopsy.
Results to FISH was unsuccessful--this happens less then 2% of the time.
7-7-10 Recurrence to RT axilla again. Back to UCLA for options.
Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #20
suzan w

Hi Steph...the reason "moved" from Poulsbo to by cabin in New Mexico was INSURANCE. Summer of 2008 my premium (Regence WA Blue Cross) went from $380. a month to almost $600. That was with $2400 a year out of pocket. I am self-insured and do not work...small teacher retirement income. In NM I qualify for low income...and with a 'pre-existing condition' qualify for the high risk insurance pool. In WA I could not get insurance at all with my cancer history. This insurance business has us all hostage!!
5/05 biopsy-invasive lobular carcinoma with LCIS,8mm tumor,stage 1 grade 2, ER+ PR+ Her2+++
6/14/05 bilateral mastectomy, node neg. all scans neg.
Oncotype DX-high risk
8/05-10/05 4 rounds A/C
10/05 -10/06 1 yr. herceptin
arimidex-5 years
2/14/08 started daily self administered injections..FORTEO for severe osteoporosis
7/28/09 BRCA 1 negative BRCA2 POSITIVE
8/17/09 prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy
10/15/10 last FORTEOinjection
RECLAST infusion(ostoeporosis)
6/14/10 5 year cancerversary!
8/2010-18%increase in bone density!
no further treatments
Oncologist says, "Go do the Happy Dance"
I say,"What a long strange trip its been"
'One day at a time'
6-14-2015. 10 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!
7-16 to 9-16. Extensive (and expensive) dental work done to save teeth. Damage from osteoporosis and chemo and long term bisphosphonate use
6-14-16. 11 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
7-20-16 Prolia injection for severe osteoporosis
2 days later, massive hive outbreak. This led to an eventual dx of Chronic Ideopathic Urticaria, an auto-immune disease from HELL.
6-14-17 12 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!!
still suffering from CIU. 4 hospitilizations in the past year

as of today, 10-31-17 in remission from CIU and still, CANCER FREE!!!
6-14-18 13 YEAR CANCERVERSARY!! NED!!
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote