HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
jml

This post-WBR fatigue is NO JOKE!

Hi Friends~

I'm nearly 4 weeks post my 15 rounds of WBR and I'm still baffled by how much time I spend in bed. It was a long process weening off the decadron, but as the decadron dose got less and less, I could feel the fatigue more prominently.
I can manage to get up and go teach & train clients, sometimes for up to 4 hours, but as soon as I get home, it's back in bed. And sleeping like I've been up all night.
I'm just still so out of sorts - my entire head is burnt & peeling, from the base of my skull to eyebrows/forehead and even behind my ears, which makes wearing a wig an extra hassle.
Then there are lots of other little annoyances, that I can't seem to wrangle. Strangely, now I'm not fixated on food - in fact, the opposite. I don't have a taste for anything, so I often find myself so hungry that I'm nauseas. Then when I do settle on something to eat, it just doesn't taste right & don't eat much.
My skin all over my body is so dry that I've scratched so much it looks like heat rash. And then the area above my right clavicle, the area where the surpaclav node that melted away with the Cytoxan, is very full and puffy. Could this be the result of the decadron, or can lymphadema affect that high up to the collarbone?
I'm still on daily Methotrexate and Cytoxan, just finished 7 days of Cipro for a UTI.
I have my 1st Brain MRI follow up since finishing WBR on Wednesday and am hoping and praying that we have good results.
Then the following Tuesday I have the annual procedure to replace the ureteral stents.
So lots of stuff on my plate again. Hoping for good outcomes so that I can coast for a little. My arms are getting tired from all the swinging I've been doing these past couple of months!

Keeping the Faith!

Jml
Dx-5/17/02 - 33 yo; Stage IV
L IDC w/single liver met
1) Herceptin + Navelbine x 8 weeks - No response; progress to innumerable,immeasureable liver mets
2) ISIS 2504 + Herceptin - 6 mos, partial response
3) Taxol + Herceptin x 13 weeks to NED!
NED for 1 year
9/04 - Single liver lesion recurrence
Taxol + Herceptin - on/off to beat back lesion
12/05 - R Hepatectomy; Liver NED until 2009
3/06- Local recurrence - Left breast, IDC & DCIS, but holding treatment while continue to heal from Hepatectomy.
12/06 - L mastectomy + reconstruction through 8/07
10/07 - Recurrence - supraclav nodes
4) Gemzar + Herceptin - on/off controlling nodes thru
9/08 - 7wks Rads to supraclav nodes
10/08 - Acute Renal Failure - nodes in belly stricturing kidneys. placed permanent ureteral stents
Back on Gemzar + Herceptin, but no longer responding.
5) 05/09 - Tykerb + Xeloda - partial response x 5 mos
6) 10/09 - Xeloda + Herceptin - no response, disease progresses
7) 2/10- Ixempra + Herceptin - partial response x 12 wks.
Discovered single brain lesion x 4mm & liver lesions growing while screening for TDM1 + PI3Kinase study.
6/10 - Novalis to treat brain met - SUCCESSFUL!
8) 6/10 - Chemo-embo w/Adriamyacin to de-bulk liver lesion.
9) 8/10 - Screened & Started TDM1 EAP
Immediate response, disease in belly responds dramatically.
2/11- questionable progression of lung nodules
Discontinue TDM1
10) 3/11 - PI3Kinase + Herceptin - intial good response in 1st 6 weeks but LFT's elevated.
11) 7/11-Discontinue PI3Kinase + Herceptin study;
Disease progression - 2 small lesions in colon – docs have never seen this before in BC
11) 8/11 –Start new combo Halaven+Herceptin
10/14/11 -Completed 3 cycles (9 wks)Halaven+Herceptin...
10/18/11 - Scanxiety time -1st scans since starting this regimen
Good interval response, continue on H+H!
10/25/11 – new 2mm questionable spot in brain? Due to Novalis or new disease?
Re-scan in 8 weeks.
1/3/12- Disease progression; 50%increase size & SUV-R lung, middle lobe 6cm lesion.
R supraclav node multiple, miscellaneous nodes in belly. Colon lesions fired up.
12)Herceptin+ metronomic Cytoxan + Methotrexate.
…on a hope & a prayer. Only chemo I haven’t been on is Taxotere.
Hurry up Pertuzumab & TDM1!
Follow Up Brain Scan on 1/18/12…pleasepleaseplease be okay. I can’t take much more.
1/18/2012- 8 new spots in 8 weeks since last Brain MRI
one 2cm spot in brain stem, one 2cm spot in R temporal lobe.
No symptoms, THANK GOD!
1/25/12 – Start WBR x 15 rounds
2/10/12 – Oral Cytoxan WORKING! Melted supraclav node & undetectable by US!
2/14/12 – FINISH 15 rounds WBR
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Jackie07

Re: This post-WBR fatigue is NO JOKE!

Jessica,

You super woman!

Thank you for sharing your WBR experience. I'd think that all these are good signs. It means that the radiation has a big effect on your brain cells. Those cancer cells are dying fast!

I think it's wonderful that you are staying busy. The more we use our brain, the more 'synapses' are made and better brain power we have. Do remember to rest well and often...

Will continue to pray for your speedy and smooth recovery.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Ellie F

Jessica
You leave me speechless! Your struggle has been soooooooooooooo hard and soooooooooooooooo long but yet you hang in there strong and continue to post to support others.
I am full of admiration for you.
Hugs
Ellie
Ellie F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #4
Nana2three

You are truly amazing. What strong women I've met on this journey. Your faith inspires me and gives me strength. One thing for sure BC is not for wimps. I'll keep prayers going up for you and you keep on keeping on. Thanks for sharing.
Nana2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
'lizbeth

I don't know if it will help but I went through an unusual fatigue after one of my surgeries. I was painfully exhausted. By chance I tried taking a selenium supplement and it feel like within hours the fog started lifting.

I hope that you feel an improvement soon and that you have good news on your next brain scan.

Traditional Treatment: Mastectomy and Axillary Node Dissection followed by Taxotere, 6 treatments and 1 year of Herceptin, no radiation
Former Chemo Ninja "Takizi Zukuchiri"

Additional treatments:
GP2 vaccine, San Antonio Med Ctr
Prescriptive Exercise for Cancer Patients
ENERGY Study, UCSD La Jolla

Reconstruction: TRAM flap, partial loss, Revision

The content of my posts are meant for informational purposes only. The medical information is intended for general information only and should not be used in any way to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease
'lizbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
caya

Jessica - You certainly are an AMAZING warrior woman!
I am praying that you will have good scans results, you certainly could use a break.

I am shaking my head in awe of you - your fighting spirit shines through your words.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Paty

Jessica, hoping these all bad symptoms go away soon. Have faithnthat everything is going to be fine. Sending you a hug.
ER-PR+,her2+++
6 FAC
32 Rads
Dx. Lung fibrosis due to radiation
Ended 1 year herceptin in March, 2008
Paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Pray

I am praying very hard that you get great scan results! I am in total awe of you! Your strength, hope and fight are endless. Gods blessings to you.
Pray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #9
schoolteacher

Jessica, glad to hear from you. You are an amazing person. Hope to fatique will lessen soon.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #10
ElaineM

Wink Re: This post-WBR fatigue is NO JOKE!

It sounds like you are passing on a valueable lesson about staying strong to those you teach.
If you run out of moisterizers suggested by your docs you might want to give aloe vera a try. Putting the fresh jell or jell from the health food store in the refrigerator or freezer before using it is very soothing.
You are doing a great job. Hang in there and keep going.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #11
pibikay

Hoping and wihing you all the best .Your post has given Hema and me some strength jml.Her fatigue is getting better and she climbed the stairs today. The hair fall is there.
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
Vicky

After just one targeted brain rad treatment last week I have been fatigued for portions of the day, so its no wonder you feel the way you do! I'm praying along with everyone else that excellent results are seen on your MRI! I have such admiration for how you choose to battle and live every day. I garner strength when I see how abundant your strength is!
6-14-11 CT scan after 3 cycles shows NO liver spots, reduced spinal met from 18mm to 13mm and right breast mass from 4.4 to 4.2 cm.
8-12-11 Mastectomy rt. breast.
10-11 scans reflect stable cancer
12-11 MRI reveals area of concern in brain, CT scan reveals 3mm spot on lung. Watch and wait and rescan in a few weeks. Round 13 TDM1 complete.
2-21-12 Scans reveal progression in lungs with 4 new small mets. Officially off tdm1. Start halaven and radiation for single brain met, 1 spot in spine.
3-13 stereotactic radiosurgery for single brain met.
5-31-12 Halaven stopped due to low blood counts. Start tamoxifen and cont. Herceptin 1x3 weeks.
7-11-12- brain mri shows shrinking brain met and no new lesions. Cont. Herceptin and Tamoxifen
10-2-12 Stable tumor markers. Continue Herceptin and Tamoxifen
4-9-13 progression in lymph node under arm and new lung spots. Stop Tamoxifen. Add Xeloda to Herceptin.
6-10-13 Stereotactic radiosurgery to two new brain mets. Stop Xeloda due to lung mets progression. begin Tykerb 7-2-13.
10-29-13 Begin radiation to my lungs and one lymph node under my arm. Stop Tykerb until completion and then recommence.
1-31-14 Progression in lungs. Oophorectomy performed.
2-18-14 Begin Arimidex and continue Herceptin
7-7-15 progression with spots on colon, in pelvic region, and in lungs. Begin Taxotere, Perjeta and Herceptin.
11-15 Switch to weekly Taxol, and continue with Perjeta and Herceptin.
12-23-16 PET scan shows Complete Response with no new spots. Continue on with TPH indefinitely.
3-16-16 Still no evidence of disease, break from Taxol. Continue on with Perjeta and Herceptin.
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:48 AM   #13
pibikay

Hi jml, Post WBR are you facing memory loss.Hema is facing it and the Onc said it was a part of the side effects for WBR
Left breast cauliflower 25x20cm
ossousmetstatis in vertbrae secondaries L4=L5secondary
nodules in both liver lobes secondary
Diagnosed 10th March 2010
ER/PR-ve
Her 2 neu +++
Taxotrne Zylotec started 16th March
Herceptin added 5th April.9th Herceptin over on 20th Sep '10.Started on Tykerb and Xeloda on 22nd Oct2010TYKERB 4 TAB A DAY XELODA 4 TAB A DAY ONE WEEK ON ONE WEEK OFFZoletrust infusion every 4 months.Lesion in Brain 3D CRT Radiation started on 1st Feb'12 for 20 days ,5 days a week for 4 weeks.Devloped a small lump in breast.Xeloda stopped from 11th April '12.On Taxol.After 3 cycles of Taxol Taxol stopped.Back to Xeloda regime from 3rd July
Herceptin started again on 27th Dec 2012.Xeloda stopped Navelbin added on 7th February 2013.Now on Tykerb Herceptin and Navelbin
pibikay is offline   Reply With Quote