HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-26-2007, 10:38 PM   #1
Grace

After herceptin

Hi all,

Living in Maine now and enjoying it a lot--leaves are starting to turn and weather is lovely. The natives say September is the best month in the year.

It's about six-seven weeks since my last, and final, herceptin, and for any of you who, like me, are having problems while on herceptin (mine were swollen feet and very swollen ankles (the ankle bone had completely disappeared), difficulty breathing and getting tired very easily, etc., there is good news. My ankles are normal once again, even late in the evening. One cardiologist I visited about these problems insisted that I just had fat ankles (not my favorite doctor) but he was wrong. I still get tired and out of breath, but nothing like before, and I'm doing lots of physical work--painting and cleaning, and cleaning and painting all day, every day, and feeling really good. Today I painted the back porch. It's difficult to believe when you're feeling lousy that it will ever get better, but it does. And, finally, my last HER2 serum result was half of what it was when I began. So if you're getting at all discouraged, remember it does get better, or in my case, much better.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:10 PM   #2
StephN

Wink wonderful!

Thanks for letting us know that life in Maine is agreeing with you.

Such great news that your side effects (and we all knew that's what is was, right?) are nearly disappeared. The fatigue is also a byproduct of the other treatments, which do take some time to stop being so bothersome. After 5 plus years off chemos, I still don't have the same old pep I once had. Guess age has a bit to do with it, as well as having to stay on Herceptin which is doing its job for me.

Don't overdo yourself with the spruce up job on the house. But it IS so rewarding to see progress and how nice things look when cleaned and painted. My grandma used to say "then you don't feel like you are living in other people's old dirt" ... And you have an expert painter in your hubby! Love to know what colors you are working with.

MY STORY SO FAR ~~~~
Found suspicious lump 9/2000
Lumpectomy, then node dissection and port placement
Stage IIB, 8 pos nodes of 18, Grade 3, ER & PR -
Adriamycin 12 weekly, taxotere 4 rounds
36 rads - very little burning
3 mos after rads liver full of tumors, Stage IV Jan 2002, one spot on sternum
Weekly Taxol, Navelbine, Herceptin for 27 rounds to NED!
2003 & 2004 no active disease - 3 weekly Herceptin + Zometa
Jan 2005 two mets to brain - Gamma Knife on Jan 18
All clear until treated cerebellum spot showing activity on Jan 2006 brain MRI & brain PET
Brain surgery on Feb 9, 2006 - no cancer, 100% radiation necrosis - tumor was still dying
Continue as NED while on Herceptin & quarterly Zometa
Fall-2006 - off Zometa - watching one small brain spot (scar?)
2007 - spot/scar in brain stable - finished anticoagulation therapy for clot along my port-a-catheter - 3 angioplasties to unblock vena cava
2008 - Brain and body still NED! Port removed and scans in Dec.
Dec 2008 - stop Herceptin - Vaccine Trial at U of W begun in Oct. of 2011
STILL NED everywhere in Feb 2014 - on wing & prayer
7/14 - Started twice yearly Zometa for my bones
Jan. 2015 checkup still shows NED
2015 Neuropathy in feet - otherwise all OK - still NED.
Same news for 2016 and all of 2017.
Nov of 2017 - had small skin cancer removed from my face. Will have Zometa end of Jan. 2018.
StephN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:04 AM   #3
Mary Anne in TX

What a joy to read your post and know that you are well, happy, and able to transform your new house into your very own dream world cause you feel good enough to do it! Encouraging....of course. Thanks for taking time to let us know that your new life is blooming already! ma

Diag. 12/05 at age 60
Stage II, Grade 3, 4.5 cm primary tumor
ER/PR- Her2 +3 strongly positive
Her2 by FISH 7.7 amplified
vascular invasion
Ki67 20% borderline
Jan - March '06 Taxotere/Adriamycin X 3 to try to shrink tumor - it grew
April '06 Rt Modified Radical Mas, 7 of 9 nodes positive
April - Aug. '06 Herceptin/Taxol/Carboplatin X 8 (dose dense)
Sept - Dec. '06 Navelbine/Herceptin x 8 (dose dense)
Radiation & Herceptin Jan. 22 - March 1, 2007
Finished Herceptin Dec. 10 '08! One extra year.
Port removed August, 2012.
8 1/2 years since diagnosis! 5 1/2 Years NED!
Mary Anne in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:48 AM   #4
tousled1

Grace,

With your new house you'll be quite busy for the next few months. I'm glad to hear that you're feeling so much better and that you're almost back to normal. It must be great not to be at the infusion center every three weeks. Enjoy your new home.
Neoadjunct chemo: 4 A/C; 4 Taxatore
Bilateral mastectomy June 8, 2006
14 of 26 nodes positive
Herceptin June 22, 2006 - April 20, 2007
Radiation (X35) July 24-September 11, 2006
BRCA1/BRCA2 negative
Stage IV lung mets July 13, 2007 - TCH
Single brain met - August 6, 2007 -CyberKnife
Oct 2007 - clear brain MRI and lung mets shrinking.
March 2008 lung met progression, brain still clear - begin Tykerb/Xeloda/Ixempra
tousled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:16 AM   #5
tricia keegan

Smile

Hi Grace,
Glad to hear you're enjoying your new home and feeling well again, sometimes in the middle of treatments it's hard to believe we'll ever feel somewhat "normal".
I am doing well too and almost a year finished herceptin now although I still sometimes feel like 90 from the Arimidex! My best wishes to you and your family in your new home.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:28 AM   #6
Emelie

Grace,

So glad to hear that I wasn't the only one with issues. I had my last treatment 5 weeks ago, I stopped at 8 months due to chronic joint and foot pain, and I too am feeling better. I still tire more easily and I still have terrible pain in the bottom of my feet when I first stand up, but it is getting better.
I see in your post that you go to or live in Italy. We are leaving for Italy on Oct.7 thru the 24th. Hubby has business and he is taking me. Any suggestions about Florence?
I hope your recovery continues to go smoothly and try not to do too much.
Best of luck,
Emelie
Emelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 08:39 AM   #7
Margerie

Grace, I have East Coast envy in Sept/Oct. We are still the same old weather here in California. Glad your "fat ankles" have made a miraculous recovery.

Hope you have fun in Italy Emelie and that your feet settle down so you can enjoy some fabulous strolls.

I have 4 more herceptin infusions, but who is counting? LOL I am hoping that my insomnia goes away when this treatment ends. It started right when my herceptin started. But this was right when I also went into chemopause, and later I started Arimidex. I guess we will find out in a few months. Knock on wood that my PET comes up clean in Nov.

Dx 10/05 IDC, multi-focal, triple +, 5 nodes+
MRM, 4 DD A/C, 12 weekly taxol + herceptin
rads concurrent with taxol/herceptin
finished herceptin 01/08
ooph, Arimidex, bilateral DIEP reconstruction
NED
Univ. of WA, Seattle vaccine trial '07
Margerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 09:36 AM   #8
Grace

Florence

Emelie,

We lived in Florence for some months a few years ago, and it is wonderful. I guess the only place that is an absolute must is the Uffici, but I'm sure you're already planning to visit. One tip, you can order your tickets online or by telephone, and it's a good idea as no matter when you visit there are long lines to get in. So, try to get your tickets ahead of time. You'll still have to wait but not as long.

Try to visit Assisi while you're in Italy. It's a magical city (and about an hour by train from Florence), much smaller than Florence so easy to visit all the sites. The Cathedral has wonderful medieval works of art, some of the best in the world and well worth the visit. And if you visit the main square, have a beer or wine at the Bar Sensi, and if Orlando is there (the manager, say hello for me). Have a great trip.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:26 AM   #9
SusieQ

Thank you for sharing! How exciting! Best wishes to you and your family.

I too have swollen ankles and fatigue. I received a Herceptin IV yesterday, and I once again, registered this concern with my Infusion Nurse. You give me hope!
~ER+ 45% Moderate ~ PR+ 62% Strong
~HER2/neu +++
~Sentinel Node Biopsy - Negative Four Nodes
~BRAC1/BRAC2 Negative
~Neo-adjuvant Chemo:6 rounds-every Three
Weeks of Taxotere & Carboplatin & Herceptin
Weekly Completed on 2/7/2007
~Lumpectomy (after chemo) 3/12/2007
~Switched to Every 3-week Herceptin 3/21/2007 for nine more months.
~Radiation May through June 2007 (35 rads total)
~Hormone therapy Lupron Injections + Arimidex
~Lymphedema Challenged!
SusieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #10
Jean

Hi Grace,
I was just thinking of you a few days ago. The very best of luck and happiness in your new home. Glad you are feeling better and those
legs are cooperating with you.

FYI - I took your wonderful book down to the shore and thought I would get some reading in..well the ocean called out to me way to often and the long walks on the beach also. But I am now nearing the end and enjoying
the story very much. Love the Italian background - feel as if I am there.

Hugs,
Jean
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #11
hutchibk

HI Grace - been wondering how you are! How's the writing? Great to hear from you and that you are doing good...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
Grace

Thanks all,

Jean--How kind of you to have purchased my book. I'm glad you liked it and also glad you enjoyed the ocean.

Brenda--My second book, A Deadly Paradise, is with the publisher, to be published in May 2008. I'm working on third in between painting porches.

SusieQ--It's rather surprising how quickly I've mended since coming off herceptin. I'm glad I did it for a year, particularly since the side effects seem to be temporary, and my tumor markers came down quite a bit--I attribute that to the herceptin. I'm sure that your side effects will resolve when you get off herceptin.

And thanks everyone else--Stephanie, Kate, Tricia, Margerie, Emelie, Mary Anne.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:49 PM   #13
BonnieR

Grace, it is good to hear you sounding so well and happy. Thanks for staying in touch.
Enjoy every minute of that beautiful autumn weather!

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote