HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-25-2005, 06:51 PM   #1
michelemd

Dear Her/2 folks:

I called UCLA just for grins the other day I thought it was some general screening number for their clinical trials. There was a NEW post for a Stage 1 trial on GW572016 from Dr. Pegram. who has MANY herceptin-related trials. This is a trial on something that block enzymes nec for tumor growth to work WITH Herceptin.

Anyway, I received a call from Dr. Pegram himself!!!!! I didnt want to be rude -- he said I would have to show I was stable on brain mets for 60 days to qualify for the trial and Id have to come to LA for 30 days.

I run a business and cannot drop everything right now (trying to sell it).
and I amn not sure I ready for a phase I trial but my Onc was very supportive.

UCLA is where they invented Herceptin so I respect their work. He seemd VERY nice and said if I could get the brain scan he'd be happy to evaluate me any time, and that the trials were "ongoing."

His phone is 310 206-6880.

I think maybe they neeed people for phase I trials -- I thought perhaps this info might help someone.

Does anyone live in L.A.??

Still waiting for Hopkins to call me back.

Cheers
Michele in MD
Old 01-25-2005, 07:00 PM   #2
Celina

Michele, this sounds like Lapatinib..is it?
Old 01-25-2005, 07:08 PM   #3
michelemd

I have no idea!! Its not for brain patients per se -- its just that they will let in people with brain mets under control.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:28 PM   #4
al from canada

Hi Ladies,
Lapatinib is GW572016
Al
Old 01-25-2005, 10:15 PM   #5
scott

Hi All,

I happened to find a phase II clinical trial @ClinicalTrials.gov that may interest many of you with brain mets that are trying to get on Lapatinib. The trial name is "Lapatinib in Treating Brain Metastases with stage IV Breast Cancer and Brain Metastases" The main inclusion criteria is that you have brain metastases! Other criteria are having had some form of brain radiotherapy and Herceptin in the past. The study is done by Dana Farber/Harvard in Boston, and the National Cancer Institute. Once you get to the home page hit the browse by sponsor link, Dana/Harvard link and it is the #14 trial they are sponsoring. I think read the study is being overseen by Eric Winer who is the head breast oncologist at Dana Farber.

Hope this helps!