HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
1rarebird

Vitamin E, hot flashes and Tamoxifen

While getting my weekly infusion of Herceptin this morning, I mentioned to my nurse that I have been sleeping poorly since starting Tamoxifen 6 weeks ago and my hot flashes keep waking me. She said that many people with this problem take Vitamin E supplements and often find some relief. She recommended taking 400 IU doses twice a day.

I double checked via the Internet and basically found several sources that confirmed my nurse's recommendations. However, when I checked for possible adverse interactions of Vitamin E and Tamoxifen, I found an abstract of a paper listed in the November 2006 Annals of Surgical Oncology which warned of a possible decease in Tamoxifen efficacy with the concurrent administration of Vitamin E (see http://www.springerlink.com/content/x7m3qt7lx1173n51/ ) The researchers conducted experiments in vitro and in mice models using humanized breast cancer cells.

I don't know if the dosing in the experiments was equivalent to typical Tamoxifen therapy and likely vitamin E supplementation by breast cancer patients. I am wondering if this same sort research has been conducted by others and what the recommendations are. Although I would like to sleep better, I certainly don't want to jeopardize whatever benefit I may be getting from the Tamoxifen.

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
PinkGirl

Re: Vitamin E, hot flashes and Tamoxifen

Hi Bird
I don't know anything about Vit. E but I do know that everything my
onc. gave me "permission" to try for hot flashes did not work.

I have a small fan beside my bed ... aimed right at my head ... this
is what has worked the best for me.

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Jean

Hi 1Rarebird,
When selecting a vit. e supplement, you should choose one which contains other tocopherols and tocotrienols, not just aplpha- tocopherol. Commercial alpha- tocopherol acctate supplement fail to reduce the incidence of breast cancer and help with hot flashes.
It is the tocotrienols one of the 8 members of the Vit. E family which have demonstrated the most siginigicant
potential. Check with the health store you purchase your Vit. E....Also you should be taking your vit. e with a meal for best absorption.

Try to eat foods rich in Vit.E which is your best source.
Chickpeas, corn,Nuts, Wheat germ, which all offer a good combination of tocopherols plus tocotrienols. The natural form is always best.

While Vit. E is believed to prevent certain cancers you should also be careful not to over dose on vit. e

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0229075222.htm
ER+ 90% / PR-, Her2+++ by FISH
Ki-67 40%
Arimidex 5/05
Radiation 32 trt, 5/30/05
Oncotype DX test 4/17/06, 31% high risk
TOPO 11 neg. 4/06
Stopped Arimidex 5/06
TCH 5/06, 6 treatments
Herceptin 5/06 - for 1 yr.
9/06 Completed chemo
Started Femara Sept. 2006
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Rich66

More recent (2009) support for avoiding Vitamin E with TAM:

J Surg Res. 2009 May 1;153(1):143-7. Epub 2008 Apr 22.
Vitamin E increases biomarkers of estrogen stimulation when taken with tamoxifen.

Peralta EA, Brewer AT, Louis S, Dunnington GL.
Department of Surgery, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Springfield, IL 62794-9638, USA. eperalta@siumed.edu
Abstract

BACKGROUND: Vitamin E (alpha-tocopherol acetate, AT) diminishes the antiproliferative effect of tamoxifen on breast cancer cells in vitro. METHODS: A prospective study of seven women taking tamoxifen for adjuvant therapy of breast cancer. Four who were already taking AT supplements had random core biopsies of the normal breast and again 30 days after discontinuing AT. Three who were not on AT had biopsies before and after adding AT 400 mg for 30 days. Biopsies were stained for estrogen receptor (ER) and the mitogen-activated protein kinase p-ERK. Tissue extracts were assayed for p-ERK by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay. Serum levels of alpha-tocopherol and tamoxifen were measured. RESULTS: Five out of seven patients had lower tamoxifen levels while taking AT, four of these went to subtherapeutic levels. Biopsies showed 23% of ductal cells were ER positive when patients were off AT and 70% on AT (P = 0.02). P-ERK staining was 21% off AT and 82% on AT. Five of seven patients had significantly higher tissue p-ERK when on AT. CONCLUSIONS: Biomarkers of estrogen-stimulation (ER, progesterone receptor, and p-ERK) were higher in breast biopsies of women taking vitamin E supplements while taking tamoxifen. Findings suggest that vitamin E supplements may interfere with the therapeutic effects of tamoxifen.

PMID: 18468636 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

More on Tamoxifen HERE

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
1rarebird

Thumbs up Re: Vitamin E, hot flashes and Tamoxifen

Thank you, Rich, for locating this research synopsis. E.A. Perlata at Southern Illinois School of Medicine was also involved in the 2006 study done with mice. I am glad to see he and his cohorts follow up with this 2009 study using brave women willing to undergo the unpleasantness of core biopsy to test his earlier hypothesis. I suspect there may be a call for more exhaustive tests to be preformed, but I have seen enough now to disregard my nurse's recommendation and I will not be taking the vitamin E while I am still on Tamoxifen.
Thanks again--
bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
Old 05-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
v-ness

i got my chemopause hot flashes completely under control, and they were bad, by using 900 mgs of neurontin. then i started tamoxifen and the resulting extra hot flashes from that over-rode the neurontin's power to curb them. the other night i slept with an ice pack under my neck it was so bad. i guess i will try a higher dose of neurontin and, if that doesn't work, give up. hoping exercise might help, which i am doing much more frequently now that radiation is over. v
2/10 began 7 wks of radiation
6/10 mom dies of primary peritoneal ovarian cancer
8/10 got my last remaining ovary out
10/10 mammogram all clear
3/11 MRI shows 5 'spots' in right breast, largest 1 cm unidentifiable on US
needle biopsy proved the largest to be old inflamed cyst -phew!
7/10 switched to Arimidex
8/9 switched to Femara - allergic to arimidex
Femara made me lose hair quickly so switched to Aromasin
Aromasin made my hair fall out too and the bone pain was too much.
back on Tamoxifen 1/2013.
blood clot from trains and planes 5/2014 so on coumadin per onco for as long as i am on tamoxifen
tamoxifen was supposed to be up with my 5 yrs in may but my boyfriend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer so i am staying on tamoxifen indefinitely because i want some ammo against BC, given the stress. lost my husband in only 10 wks in 2007 to stage 4 esophageal cancer.
cancer's screwing with another man i love
2/2016 - 6yrs in remission, off tamoxifen and off coumadin - yay!
v-ness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:30 AM   #7
naturalhealth

I typically have found that many people I know of have greater success using natural supplements to help with side effects than some of the prescribed medications. Vitamin E is a safe, natural supplement without really any side effects. It's also very difficult to overdose on it, so you can usually feel very safe taking a little more than the recommended dosage if necessary. There are very few drug interactions, and I've never read anything about Tamoxifen being a problem. However, if you're concerned about it, I would definitely talk to your doctor about it. But if he/she approves it even after your concerns, then definitely give it a try.
naturalhealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #8
sassy

Like v-ness, I have used neurontin for hot flashes. Started on a fairly high dose, then tapered down as I got the flashes better under control. It does NOT make them go away entirely, but did help significantly.
Left mast .9cm tumor 5 of 14 nodes
Triple Positive
4 DD A/C
12 Taxol/Herceptin
33Rads
Strange infect mast site one year aft surg, hosp 1 wk
Herceptin for total of 18 months
Lupron Monthly 4 yrs
Neurontin for aches, pains and hot flashes(It works!)
Ovaries removed 11/09 stop Lupron and Neurontin
Arimidex 6 yrs (tried Femara, no SE improvement)
Tried Exemestane-hips got so bad could hardly walk
Back to Arimidex for year seven
Zometa 2X Annual for 7years, Lasix
Stop Arimidex 5/13
Stop Zometa 7/13-Bi-lateral Stress Fractures in Femurs from Zometa
5/14 Start Tamoxifen
3/15 Stem cell transplant to stimulate femur bone growth/healing
5/15 Complete fracture of right femur/Titanium rods both femurs
9/16 Start Evista stopTamoxifen
3/17 Stop Evista--unwelcome side effects!
NED and no meds.......
14YEARS NED!
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:54 PM   #9
1rarebird

http://www.surgjournal.com/article/S...392-8/abstract

The reason I decided forego vitamin E for my HFs.
bird

Volume 140, Issue 4, Pages 607-615 (October 2006)

Effect of vitamin E on tamoxifen-treated breast cancer cells

Presented at the 63rd Annual Meeting of the Central Surgical Association, Louisville, Kentucky, March 9-11, 2006.
Elizabeth A. Peralta, MD, Melita L. Viegas, MD, Somaja Louis, MS, Deborah L. Engle, MS, Gary L. Dunnington, MDReceived 10 February 2006; accepted 10 July 2006. published online 04 September 2006.
Background

Induction of apoptosis by tamoxifen has been postulated to involve oxidative stress. Tamoxifen (TAM) may act on estrogen receptors (ER) located in the plasma membrane. Our hypothesis that supplemental antioxidant vitamin E (α-tocopherol) acts at the plasma membrane to alter the effectiveness of tamoxifen was tested in ER-positive breast cancer cell lines, MCF-7 and T47D.

Methods

Cells were treated in vitro with 20-μM TAM alone and in combination with 10-μM α-tocopherol (AT). Estrogen growth signals were quantified by immunohistochemical staining for the mitogen-activated protein kinase p-ERK. Rapid changes in intracellular calcium were detected in TAM-treated MCF-7 and T-47D cells by fluorescence microscopy of cells loaded with the calcium-sensitive dye Fluo 4AM. Apoptosis was assayed by flow cytometry.

Results

Proliferating cells in normal medium exhibited strong p-ERK staining. Addition of TAM abolished p-ERK staining and caused cell rounding and death. The addition of AT led to the restoration of cell proliferation and p-ERK expression even in the presence of high-dose TAM. Intracellular calcium rapidly increased in MCF-7 and T47D cells upon exposure to TAM, followed by an increase in caspase activation and eventual apoptosis. The increase in intracellular calcium was abolished by the addition of 10μM AT to TAM, and pan-caspase staining decreased at 5 hours from 72% to 41%.

Conclusions

These studies suggest that supplemental vitamin E decreases the inhibitory effect of TAM on the proliferation of ER+ breast cancer cells and eliminates the rapid rise in intracellular calcium that leads to apoptosis stimulated by TAM. The use of vitamin E acetate supplements may be inadvisable for women taking tamoxifen.