HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
Brina

Just Diagnosed HER2+ Stage 4

Hi, I have never been on a site such as this.

I was just recently diagnosed with HER2+ stage 4 breast cancer. It has spread to my hips, back of my ribs on right side and my right colar bone. I am terrified!

I am set to start herceptin and to have 6 rounds of chemo, Port going in on Dec 13th.

I don't know what to expect!
Brina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #2
Midwest Alice

Re: Just Diagnosed HER2+ Stage 4

Brina, Welcome, I am so sorry you have to deal with BC.

You will find this is a place that will make your walk better. You will be very thankful to have a port. It makes treatment soooooooooooooo much easier so they don't have to stick your vains with treatment. Ask for a topical cream that numbs the skin over your port. You put it on an hour before treatment and cover it with a bandaid. Then you don't feel the port when they axcess it. I don't use the cream any more I just put up with the pain, .... its not too bad.
Herceptin is a blessing. The chemo may make you tired. What are you taking?

Hang in there. There is life after stage IV. We have many members who are living productive happy lives.
08/08, Herceptin/tax 12 every week
10/08, CT/PET clear, ? on pelvis, hips, MUGA 43, started Enalaprial for heart, Herceptin every 3 weeks
11/08 33Rads; 12/08 MUGA 48
2/09 MRI spine and bone scan, old mets to spine, Chest x-ray, blood work, IV NED,regular CPAP use,Zometa x6, first -flue like symptoms 2 days;Herceptin x3; stage 2 lymphoedema..sleeve and glove
4/09 Brain MRI - CLEAR; MUGA 54
7/09 chest ultrasound,
10/09 PET, brain and spin MRI NED Herceptin only. MUGA 59!!!
1/11 Hip replacement 7/11 Hip 2 replacement
4/12 4 years!! Herceptin
6/12 start reconstruction finish in 12/12
2/14 Herception - 6 years!!!

1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you
can stand up under it."

Midwest Alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
Brina

Hi Alice,
This is still all so new to me that I am not even sure of the "coctail" they are making for me as of yet. I have a CT scan in the morning, from colar bone to pelivs they did an MRI last week but only of the breast which is because at that time they did not know I failed the bone scan.
I have a great Oncologist. I cant say much for my regular GP who ignored my concerns about my lump for 5 yrs.
I am only 40 Alice, I was hoping to have a baby this year and now all of that is gone. I am truly lost right now.
Brina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Barbara H.

Hi Alice,
There is much more hope for HER2 stage 4 patients now. I progressed to stage 4 in May, 2004. I am still here and doing well. I still work full time and have a life. I can imagine that you are also upset because you were planning to have a child. Nevertheless, we still do not know what new research will bring. My thoughts are with you. Just know that there are many treatments that will help you, and that you do have the possibility of living a long life. Make sure that you are being treated by a doctor who specializes in breast oncology.
Kind regards,
Barbara H.
Barbara H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #5
ElaineM

Wink Re: Just Diagnosed HER2+ Stage 4

Welcome aboard the her2 train Brina.
It is not a train that anyone wants to ride, but it is a doable trip even though it gets a little bumpy sometimes. The ride is a little bumpy for you now, but maybe the ride will calm down once all the details are known and the route has been decided.
I was diagnosed in January, 1999, but I am still here making trouble for my doctors. Many others who were diagnosed before me are still alive and kicking too.
The port is an excellent idea, so is the numbing cream.
I love my port. It is one of my most cherished possessions. I am very protective of my port. Nobody gets near it, except for medical reasons. I use mine for regular blood tests too. No more arm stuff for me !!!!!!!
I guess you could say I am also very protective of my veins too.
Take good care of yourself. Keep putting one foot in front of the other. I have my fingers crossed for you.
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Catherine

Briana,

You have come to the right spot. This site has wonderful people who are willing to share their knowledge and personal experiences with BC...especially the HER2+ kind. I am sorry that you have to join our "club." Do all you can to learn about your DX. Take the same sprial notebook with you to all appointments and make notes. When you are at home log your questions in the notebook and then you can fill in the Oncologists answers on your next appointment. Some offices have counsleors, chemo classes, etc. Take advantage of all they offer you. Have someone go with you to your appointments. Maybe consider an antidepressant and maybe something like ativan to keep you calm during treatment. Get as much rest as you can, but walk and also get some exercise.

All my best to you. It is not fun, but you can do it. Believe in yourself and breath alot.

Catherine

Found my own lump in the shower
April 2006 at the age of 58
Stage IIB, ER- PR- HER2+++ multi focal tumors, largest 2.3cm
Chemo first: AC/Taxol over 16 weeks
Bilateral mastectomy Sep 06
33 rads after the surgery
1 year of Herceptin completed Dec 07
15 years and no recurrence as of April 2021
Catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
Soccermom

Brina,
one thing you may want to ask about would be to do an egg retrieval prior to chemo. I realize that you are just starting this journey and not thinking about having a child at the moment, but just to keep your options open for later on you may want to inquire about this,

Warmly,
Marcia
Soccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
BonnieR

Of course you are terrified. We all know what that feels like. You have come to the right place for understanding and support. As you get specifics, it would help if you made a profile that will show at your signature. The "user CP" link will help with that. Meanwhile, you have had good suggestions already. Esp about keeping good notes of questions and replies from the docs. Avail yourself of any support groups or counselors.
Ask us anything.
And keep the faith.

Post menopause
May 2007 Core biopsy, Rt breast
ER+, Pr-, HER2 +++, Grade 3
Ki-67: 90%
"suspicious area" left breast
Bilateral mastectomy, (NED on left) May 2007
Sentinel Node Neg
Stage 1, DCIS with microinvasion, 3 mm, mostly removed during the biopsy....
Femara (discontinued 7/07) Resumed 10/07
OncoType score 36 (July 07)
Began THC 7/26/07 (d/c taxol and carboplatin 10/07)
Began Herceptin alone 10/07
Finished Herceptin July /08
D/C Femara 4/10 (joint pain/trigger thumb!)
5/10 mistakenly dx with lung cancer. Middle rt lobe removed!
Aromasin started 5/10
BonnieR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
KDR

Hi, Brina
I was diagnosed Stage IV in June. It's devastating, I know. You are not alone, though, ok...we all understand what you are feeling and will help you and share what we know. You CAN ask about egg retrieval. I had my first and only daughter at 42 (pregnant naturally at 41). I feel like this disease came on like a thief in the night. One day in April I found a lump and I just knew. Never expected this, but this is what I have. On and up from here. Where are you located?
Diagnosed: June 2010, liver mets. ER-/PR+10%; HER2+++.
July 2010: Begin Taxol/Herceptin. Eliminate sugar from diet. No surgery or radiation.
January 2011: NED
April 2011: Progression in liver only. Other previous affected areas eradicated. Stop Taxol/Herceptin after 32 infusions.
May 2011: Brain MRI: clear.
May 2011: Begin Tykerb daily, Xeloda twice per day for one week on, one week off, and Herceptin.
November 2011: Progression in liver. All other tumors remain eradicated.
December 2011: BEGIN TRIAL #09-093 Taxol, MCC-DM1 (T-DM1), Perjeta.
Trial requires scans every six weeks, bloodwork and infusions weekly.
Brain MRI: clear.
January 2012: NED. Liver mets, good riddance!
March 2012: NED. Developed SMA (rare blood clot) in intestinal artery and loss of sight in right eye due to optical nerve neuropathy. Resolved when Taxol removed this month.
Continue Protocol of T-DM1 weekly and Perjeta every 3 weeks.
May 2012: NED.
June 2012: Brain MRI: clear.
June-December 2012: NED.
December 2012: TRIAL CONCLUDED; ENTER TRIAL EXTENSION #09-037. CT, Brain MRI, bone scan: clear. NED.
January-March 2013: NED.
June 2013: Brain MRI: clear. CEA upticking; CT shows new met on liver.
July 3, 2013: DISASTER STRIKES during liver ablation: sloppy surgeon cuts intercostal artery and I bleed out, lose 3.5 liters of blood, have major hemothorax, and collapsed lung requiring emergency resuscitative thoracotomy, lung surgery, rib rearrangement and cutting deep connective tissue, transfusion. Ablation incomplete. This life-saving procedure would end up causing me unforgiving pain with every movement I make, permanently, otherwise known as forever.
July 26, 2013: Try Navelbine/Herceptin. Body too weak after surgery and transfusion. Fever. CEA: Normal.
August 16, 2016: second dose Navelbine/Herceptin; CEA: Normal. Will skip doses. Watching and waiting.
September 2013: NED, Herceptin only. CEA: Normal. Started Arimidex.
October-November 2013: NED. Herceptin and Arimidex. CEA, CA125, 15-3: Normal.
December 2013: Something brewing. PET lights up on little spot on liver; CEA upward trend, just outside normal. PET and triphasic liver scan confirm Little Met. Restart Perjeta with Herceptin, stay on Arimidex. Genomic sequencing completed for future treatments, if necessary.
January 2014: Ablate Little Met on the 6th. Happy New Year.
March 2014: Brain MRI: clear. PET/CT reveal liver mets return; new lung mets. This is not funny.
March 2014: BEGIN TRIAL #10-005 A(11)-Temsirolimus plus Neratinib.
April 2014: Genomic testing indicated they could work, they did not. Very strange drug combo for me, felt weird.
April 2014: Started Navelbine and Herceptin. Needed something tried and true, but had significant progression.
June 2014: Doxil and Herceptin.
July 2014: Progression. Got nothing out of it. Brain: NED.
July 2014: Add integrative medical hematologist-oncologist to my team. Begin supplements. These are tumor-busting, immune system boosters. Add glutathione, lysine and taurine IV infusions every three weeks.
July 2014: Begin Gemzar, Herceptin & Perjeta. Happy.
August 2014: ECHO perfect.
January 2015: Begin weekly Vitamin D Analog infusions. 25 mcg. via port.
February 2015: CT: stable.
April 2015: Gem working, but not 100%. Looking into immunotherapy. Finally, treatments for the 21st century!
April 2015: Penn Medicine. Dendritic cell immunotherapy.
KDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 AM   #10
Mary L

Hi Brina. So sorry you had to join this club but you will feel so much better having the support this group can give you. I too am a her2 patient. I have IBC stage IIIB. Herceptin saved my life and I am here 7 years after diag. I really think talking about your fears and getting good advice from people who have been there helps so much. Keep us posted. Best wishes and you have my prayers. Mary L
Mary L from PA Diag: Oct 2003 w/6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, IBC stage IIIB. tx A/C followed by Taxotere(only able to have 2 tx, allergic), mastectomy, 3 0ut of 7 positive nodes. 35 rads. Recurrence 9 months later, skin mets to mastectomy site. Tx Carboplatin/Herceptin. Stayed on Herceptin almost 5 years, had 3 more recurrences when I had to stop Herceptin due to my ejection fraction getting too low. Herceptin stopped and ned 3 years in Oct. 2010.
Mary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:03 AM   #11
Debbie L.

Brina, so sorry for why you're here. As you can see, we do welcome you and we hope that as you become acquainted with cancer, you'll find support here. The other part of that is that as you become acquainted with cancer, you'll be able to OFFER support here and that will be satisfying.

It sounds like you're still in the discovery stage of diagnosis, with CT results still pending?

I know this is such a scary thing to have come at you, out of the blue. But from what you've said so far, it does not sound like there is anything urgent or immediately life-threatening. If the cancer is in your bones, it is likely that it's a hormone positive cancer (that's good news). If it's not anywhere else and causing no severe symptoms, some providers might consider beginning your treatment with Herceptin or a drug similar to it, and an endocrine treatment, rather than chemo, at this time. Do you have your pathology report, which should give that information about ERPR and other details?

It's wonderful that you have an oncologist who you like and trust. Did he (she?) encourage you to get a 2nd opinion at a Comprehensive Cancer Center?
http://cancercenters.cancer.gov/canc...ters-list.html
That's always a good idea, and does not reflect on your respect and trust of your local provider in any way. It's just good medicine, to make sure there are not other options that are being missed, and also to provide that all-important peace of mind. It's likely that the 2nd opinion treatment recommendation will be the same or very similar, but that doesn't mean it's not of benefit. If you get that expert second opinion right now, before you set upon your treatment path, you will never second-guess yourself later and will know you're doing all you can to live with this in the best way possible.

Debbie Laxague
Debbie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #12
tricia keegan

Hi from me too Brina and welcome, I'm sure you'll gain courage as you go forward in your diagnosis reading from some of the very brave ladies here who prove daily, there is still life after stage iv!
My best wishes to you
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:04 AM   #13
Lori R

Brina,
We all know that horrible sinking feeling when you receive the news. But...I am so glad you found us. Our merry band of cancer warriors is a wonderful community of incredibly knowledgeable people.

So please, come here frequently for support and encouragement. I was stage IV upon diagnosis and have lived an amazingly active, full, fun life. It is a HUGE mental game, but I know you are up to it.

Please make decisions assuming you are going to be around to enjoy all of the things you had planned for your life. Don't count out being a mom, get those eggs harvested so you can realize that dream.

Never let anyone tell you no. If in doubt come here for reinforcement.

Best of luck and let us know what your cocktail is. Demand an umbrella in it!!!

Hugs....Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #14
ginnyg898

Hi Brina:

You are definitly in the right place. I was diagnosed with her2+ bc last August and I am currently in neo-adjuvant chemotherapy. When I was first diagnosed I cried a river and felt so much fear. This disease changes your life and you must allow yourself to grieve.

The ladies on this board have provided so much support and answers to my endless questions

I agree with a previous poster's suggestion of keeping a notebook. I have a journal that goes everywhere with me. I keep track of treatments, side effects, things my oncologist and I discuss and general notes on how I am feeling. This is a journey and it helps to get it out.

Best to you...
ER+/PR-/HER2+
2.2cm tumor/Stage 2A
No node involvement
Tested negative for BRCA 1/2
Participated in a UCLA clinical trial testing TCH and/or Lapatinib in stage 1/2/3 bc patients that can be removed by surgery.
Underwent neo-adjuvant therapy to shrink tumor prior to surgery.
1st Surgery date: 2/16/11
Pathology report indicated ADH/DCIS in margin.
2nd Surgery: 3/21/11
Clean margins!
Started radiation: 4/11/11
Completed radiation: 7/8/11
1st post-surgical mammogram: 8/16/11 - CLEAR!
6 Weeks of Tamoxifen - Failure to Respond
Started Lupron/Arimidex: 8/29/11
Herceptin until September '11

Recurrence - August 2018
Same profile - ER+/PR-/HER2+
Undergoing neo-adjuvant therapy prior to surgery;
Gemzar, Carboplatin, Herceptin & Perjeta
Chemo through the end of 2018...
ginnyg898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #15
Sherryg683

Hi Brina, I was diagnosed stage IV also. This month I celebrated 5 years of being alive and cancer free since my intial chemo rounds. The chemo is doable and will be over before you know it. Your life will however change and it will take sometime to get use to your new normal, the emotional and physical side of it. You will cry have breakdowns, fight and be fearful...all of which is normal. You have to let yourself go through all this without feeling that you are being weak. There will come a point when you won't be thinking about the cancer every minute of the day and that's when your new "normal" will begin. I had buried myself a thousand times when I finally decided that I was ruining what life I had left. So about 3 years ago, I decided that I was going to try and put all the bad fearful feelings in a "box" and not open it unless I had to. That box opens itself up every now and then, especially around scan time but then I shut the lid back down. It doesn't help to worry all the time. For you, this point may take some time to get to. Like I said, take everything at your own pace and be kind to yourself. ..sherryg

Diagnosed: December , 2005 at age 44
13+ positive lymph nodes
Stage IV , Her2+, 2 small mets to lungsChemo Started: Jan, 2006
4 months Taxotere, Xeloda, Hercepin
NED since April 2006!!
36 Rads to follow with weekly Herceptin indefinately
8 years NED now
Scans every year

Life is not about avoiding the thunderstorms, it's about learning to dance in the rain!
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:45 AM   #16
Pam P

Brina - You've gotten a lot of good advice from the wise women here. Not much more I can add except to add my best wishes for you as you navigate this new terrain. I was diagnosed at stage 3 but in a little over a year bone mets were discovered and they think they were already there but undetectable at initial diagnosis. That was 9 years ago and I'm still living strong. I've had lots of bumps in the road, but have had many mountain top experiences too in these 9 years. One step at a time for me, for you and all of us. There is good treatment, reason for hope, and great knowledge and support on this site. Come here often. Pam
2/02 tamoxifen
9/02 stage IV bone mets femara
1/03 taxotere/herceptin/aredia
6/03 herceptin, aredia & faslodex
1/04 navelbine, herceptin, aredia
2/05 herceptin/aredia
7/05 xeloda/herceptin/aredia
3/07 xeloda/tykerb/aredia
5/08 taxol/avastin/aredia
2/09 gemzar/herceptin/zometa
7/09 Taxol/Carbo/Herceptin, zometa
10/09 navelbine/herceptin & zometa
2/10 herceptin & tykerb & zometa
4/10 add xeloda &aromasin
10/10 dx with dermatomyiositis triggered by cancer
11/10 restart herceptin, tykerb, zometa
12/10 surgery-place rod in R femur to stabilize bone
1/11 radiation to R femur - 20 tx
2/11 2nd surgery - rod in Left femur
2/11 tx eribulen -- suspended dx brain mets
3/11 brain mets wbr 20 tx
4/11 halaven; discontine 8/11 not working
8/11 radiation to left femur 20 tx'
8-9/11 rad to lower spine
9/11 abraxane/herceptin/zometa
9/12 xeloda/herceptin/zometa
12/12 ablation of liver
Pam P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:57 AM   #17
Mary L

Red face Re: Just Diagnosed HER2+ Stage 4

Good Morning Pam. I never realized you had the exact same diag. as I had 7 years ago. You are a 9 year survivor! That is wonderful. The only mets I have had so far were skin mets on the surface of my mastectomy site. I always enjoy reading your posts. Have a wonderful holiday. Mary L
Mary L from PA Diag: Oct 2003 w/6mm mass, IDC grade III ductal carcinoma in-situ, IBC stage IIIB. tx A/C followed by Taxotere(only able to have 2 tx, allergic), mastectomy, 3 0ut of 7 positive nodes. 35 rads. Recurrence 9 months later, skin mets to mastectomy site. Tx Carboplatin/Herceptin. Stayed on Herceptin almost 5 years, had 3 more recurrences when I had to stop Herceptin due to my ejection fraction getting too low. Herceptin stopped and ned 3 years in Oct. 2010.
Mary L is offline   Reply With Quote