HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-04-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
caya

Breast Cancer Symposium in Toronto with Dr. Slamon

There is a Breast Cancer Symposium at Princess Margaret Hospital in Toronto on Saturday March 7 from 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.- Dr. Tak Mak, Canada's most cited medical scientist, and Dr. Dennis Slamon, who is on the Scientific Advisory Board at PMH, will be talking about their advances in breast cancer research and treatment.

I am thrilled to be attending this event and hopefully will get to meet Dr. Slamon. If anyone else would like to attend, please PM me and I will give out contact details.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere
Herceptin - every 3 weeks for a year, finished May 8/08

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
Femara - Jan. 1, 2010 - July 18, 2012
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Dignosed 10/16/06, age 48 , premenopausal
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
Reclast infusion January 2012
Oopherectomy October 2013
15 Years NED!!
caya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #2
hutchibk

Awesome Caya - take good notes! He's really nice, we said hi to him at SABCS in the bar...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:30 PM   #3
MaryAnn-CA

Hello Caya, thanks for letting us all know about the conference. If possible, could you try to find out when there will be another update to the BCIRG 006 trial results? I chose the TCH regimen based on the interim results of that study and I have been waiting for additional results to be published but haven't seen anything. Thanks so much and enjoy the conference. Mary Ann
MaryAnn-CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
caya

I will try my best to find out Mary Ann. I will print your your post and take it with me.

I will take as many notes as I can.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
Mild lymphedema diagnosed June 2009 - breast surgeon and lymph. therapist think it's completely reversible - hope so.
15 Years NED!!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:26 AM   #5
Laurieanne

Hi Caya,
I can't figure out how to pm so I hope you
see this in time. I would love to go to Toronto
and this is a perfect weekend for me to do that.
Please give me the details.
Thank you,
Laurie
Laurieanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
caya

Hi Laurieanne,

I just replied to your PM. Let me know if you got it.

all the best
caya
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
15 Years NED!!
Old 03-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #7
PinkGirl

Smile

Have a great time Caya. I love that Dr. Tak Mak ... don't feel so bad now
that my pathogist was Dr. Peter Pan!!!

Dx Aug/05 at age 51
2cm. Stage 2A, Grade 3
ER+/PR-
Her2 +++

Sept 7/05 Mastectomy
4 FAC, 4 Taxol, no radiation
1 year of Herceptin
Tamoxifen for approx. 4 months,
Arimidex for 5 years
Prophylactic mastectomy June 22/09

" I yam what I yam." - Popeye

My Photo Album
PinkGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
RobinP

Cool, I would love to see Dr. Salmon. Maybe that will be possible. Got to check my schedule.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
schoolteacher

Caya,

You are so lucky to get to meet and hear his lecture. Please let us know what he and the other doctors have to say.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
caya

Back from the Symposium...

It was a wonderful afternoon with Dr. Slamon, Dr. Tak Mak and other BC researchers who all made presentations of their work.

Dr. Tak Mak told us that there are 180 researchers working at PMH every day to find the cure. About 10 of the doctors who specialize in BC were at the conference, and of course the highlight was Dr. Slamon and his Herceptin presentation. It really was quite chilling when he put up the charts of survival rates of the different subtypes of BC - before Herceptin - no wonder we Her2ers were known for "poor prognosis".

His talk was pretty basic for someone who knows alot about Herceptin and Her 2, ( uh, me, thanks in great part to this wonderful site), but it was still thrilling to see Dr. Slamon himself explain it all. I approached him afterwards and he is such a gracious humble man. Many of us in the audience had tears in our eyes when the V.P. of the hospital thanked him for coming, knowing that many of us were Her2 survivors ,- thanks to him (I was one of the tearful).

He told us that one of his first Herceptin patients is 17 years out. I asked him what he thought of Zometa, and he said "good in the short term, concerned about long term effects." MaryAnn - CA - I asked him when there would be an update to the BCIRG 006 trial - he told me later this year, they are still waiting for some results. He told another woman that for Her2+ patients the drs. (in the States) are not using anthryciline based chemo much anymore to cut the cardiac risk associated with Herceptin, going more with TCH.

I also told him that everyone from Joe and Christine's Her2support group sent a big hello, and he gave me a big smile and "thanks" when I said that. He very patiently spoke to everyone who waited in line to speak to him. I happened to see him outside the hospital when I went to get my car, he told me he was on his way back to LA. I thanked him again for all his efforts.

Dr. Slamon, Dr. Tak Mak and the other doctors said the future for finding the cure is very hopeful. They are building a tumour bank at PMH to do more research, and I am going to call the hospital next week to get more information, I would be happy to donate mine.

All in all, a very emotional day.
MRM Dec.18/06
3 x FEC, 3 x Taxotere

Tamoxifen - 2 1/2 years
BRCA1/BRCA2 Negative
15 Years NED!!
Old 03-08-2009, 03:02 PM   #11
schoolteacher

Caya,

Thanks for letting us know what happened. I got tears in my eyes reading your post.

Amelia
schoolteacher is offline   Reply With Quote