HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #1
sassy

The mouths of babes..

Its nice to know people care--even if they don't quite understand..

I lead the children's choir at church and was worried how my kids would react when I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Its a small church, and we are fairly open about everything, so from the beginning I have shared my experiences with the children on a level I thought they could understand. The most obvious part to them was my hair loss--which they have all handled very well, rubbing my head, wearing my wigs, enjoying my hats and scaves and excitedly checking for new and continued hair growth.

A week or so ago, Andrew, who is 7, asked me to describe exactly how my hair came out--all at once, a little at a time--he was really interested. After church I talked with his Mom to tell her of our conversation, and she told me this story.

Andrew's Mom said he talks about me a lot and asks lots of questions. Always talking about what we do at church and what I have told them. One day, he looked at his Mom and said, "Mom, what exactly is wrong." To which his mother replied, "She has breast cancer." Andrew simply said, "Oh, OK."

The next day they were in town and Andrew saw the pink bracelets for sale. He took two dollars out of his pocket and bought one for himself and one for his little brother. Later that day, they were to participate with a group of boys scouts in a parade when several of the other boys starting making fun of the pink bracelets. "Don't you know boys don't wear PINK!"

Andrew proudly raised his fist, showing his bracelet and announced:" Yes boys do wear pink---and this stands for something! This stands for people who have WRIST CANCER!"

I guess this is close enough for a seven year old. Its enough that he cares.

Sassy
________
Washington Dispensaries

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:33 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2005, 08:17 PM   #2
Unregistered

made my day

Sassy,

Your story made my day. Andrew sounds adorable!

Karen W.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:19 PM   #3
Lori

Talking

Very cute story.

I have had some experiences with the 7th graders that I teach.
Recently, they saw a picture of me from last year (prior to hair loss). Many of them came up to me afterwards and said, "I didn't know that you had hair!" ....

Today I went without a scarf for the first time. My hair is only about an inch long, so I was a little nervous. They were so sweet, many told me how pretty I looked. Even a few boys told me they liked my hair.

Final story...my son is just turned three when my hair fell out. His first words after seeing me without hair, "Mommy, you are a boy now!" It took a lot of explaining about boy and girl parts before he would stop calling me a boy. Then my new name was "Baldie"....it's a good thing he is cute.
Lori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 02:34 AM   #4
RhondaH

Smile I LOVE these stories

My 4 yo Tony was just as curious (loved to pull my hair out when it was coming out in clumps) and while it's hard for them to understand, they take such a "complicated issue" and make it so simple. Take care.

Rhonda Hoffman
RhondaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 05:23 AM   #5
IRENE FROM TAMPA

Smile Children - How Refreshing

Ladies - your stories of these children just made my morning.

"from the mouths of babes" was not exaggerated - how wonderful to view/accept life so simply. I love it. We can certainly learn alot from these little short people.

Take care
TREAT: STEM CELL REPLACEMENT/HERCEPTIN.
2002 - RECUR TO LIVER
TREAT: NAVELBINE, THEN GEMZAR, THEN XELODA.
2004 - TUMORS STILL IN LIVER
TREAT: RFA TO LIVER
STABLE UNTIL
2004 - TUMOR PROGRESSION IN LIVER.
TREAT: RESECT HALF OF LIVER.
2005 - RECURR TO LYMPH NODE OUTSIDE OF LIVER.
TREAT: TAXOL/CARPO/HERCEPTIN. FAILED ON
THIS TRIO. STARTED ON ABRAXANE.
2006 - PROGRESS WITH 2ND TUMOR GROWTH.
TREAT: AUG. BEGAN ON TYKERB/XELODA
TRIAL. CONSIDERED STABLE TO DATE.
2007 - TAKEN OFF OF TYKERB/XELODA TRIAL DUE TO
PROGRESS STARTING TYKERB/AVASTIN.
NOV 2007 - SCANS SHOW PROGRESS TUMOR GROWTH
IN ABDOM. AND TWO NEW TUMORS IN NECK AREA.
BEGAN HERCEPTIN/AVASTIN/TAXOTERE
Feb 08 - Ixempra/Xeloda
June 08 - Her/DM1 trial

"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY."
IRENE FROM TAMPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 10:06 AM   #6
Rozebud

Very cute. My 21 month old and 3 1/2 year old don't even remember. I asked the 3 y.o. if she remembers when mommy had cancer and she said no. I said "mommy had cancer and she took medicine, and all her hair fell out, but now she's much better." And she said "Oh....did you put the medicine on your head to make your hair fall out???"

Dx'd 1/04 at 33, while 33 weeks pregnant

Dx: Stage IIIC IDC, ER-, PR+ (23%), Her2=2.7 (IDC)/7.6 (FSH), 2.5cm primary tumor, grade III, 11/18+ nodes (largest 3.8 cm)

Treatment: A/C *4, T *4, 1 year of herceptin (BCIRG 006), mastectomy, rads (7 weeks), zoladex (5 years) with tamoxifen (2 years)/aromisin (3 years), bilateral SGAP summer 05 at NOLA

Oops, retested tumor and I guess I'm er/pr- after all.
Stopped all hormonal tx 10/07. Periods resumed 6/08. Bye bye hot flashes!!!!

http://www.edrie.com/kopecky
*~VISIT OUR FAMILY!~*
Rozebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 04:51 PM   #7
Daile

Smile

Oh I have just giggled my way through these posted replies.

I remember when I was picking up my children from school one day and my son had a friend home to play. We were driving home with the 8 and 9 year in the backseat when sons friend says, "My mums got Strep Throat." Son replies, "my mum got cancer and her hair fell out, aye mum!" Yeah son something like that - ho hum!

Children are just so precious and when I need a dose of the giggles they do it for me everytime. Our children have made this process so much easier for us as their parents to deal with it all.

Thanks for the giggle,

Daile
Daile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 02:47 PM   #8
sassy

bump and add

Wanted to bump this up so others could enjoy and add another thought from Andrew.

Last week he was discussing the fact that my hair was really growing back in now and looking really pretty.

He then said," I'm so glad Rhonda's cancer is in 'Recession'!"

Now thats one "recession" I'll gladly take.

Sassy
________
Problems From Paxil

Last edited by sassy; 08-22-2011 at 08:43 AM..
sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:26 PM   #9
lexigirl

Smile

I love these stories! Children are so sincere and say what's on their minds.

I finished chemo in January and my hair is just coming in. At home I go wigless but always wear my wig out. My daughter, who is nine, asked why I still wear my wig. I wish that I had the courage to not wear it. I am way to vain!

I think she has become a lot more compassionate going through this. I know that she won't be as afraid to see others who may be going through chemo tx.
lexigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 04:33 PM   #10
Sherryg683

I love kids and what they come up with. My daughter Allie is 7 and quite spoiled. One day when I was on my way for treatment she said "Mommy, are you going to the Cancer doctor today". "Yes" I told her, I was really impressed that she was concerned about me. Then she said "He's next to the Toys R Us, so why don't you drop in there and buy me a toy". Typical 7 year old, trying to figure out a way to get herself something...lol...sherryg683
Sherryg683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:30 PM   #11
Tami

When my hair fell out, I had my youngest son's friends (they were 8 at the time) rub my head and make a wish the first time they saw me without the wig. It made us all laugh and from them on no one was freaked.

I still laugh when I think about it.
Tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:56 PM   #12
TriciaK

You are all wonderful, and I loved your stories! I have never lost all my hair--my sister didn't either although she was on the terrible chemos of 20 years ago. Something in the genes I guess. I think you all handled the devastating hair loss so well with the kids. They really do take things in their strides. I especially liked Tami's head rubbing idea! Isn't it amazing what you find you can deal with when you need to? And keep a sense of humor? Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:02 PM   #13
Susan2

6 years later, my daughter still talks about when her mommy could take off her hair (wig).
Susan2 is offline   Reply With Quote