HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Clinical Trials
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
Brian

To: The Ladies that are Participating in the U of Washington Vaccine Studies

I have some good news for all of the ladies that are participating in the University of Washingtion Vaccine Studies. You may recall that I have posted responses to my wife, Lisa's, progress in her 13 year battle with this awful disease.
Lisa was originally diagnosed in 1991 and had a recurrance 3 years ago. She has had surgery, radio frequency ablation, chemo of all types in the past three years. She had a complete response to a combination of Herceptin and Gemzar in 2002 and was NED until January, 2005. During that period she participated in the Washington vaccine study and received her final vaccine treatment (6th) on January 4, 2005.
On January 14th scans revealed that she had two small tumors growing in old scar tissue left from a tumor in her lung. At that time she had the top portion of her left lung removed. Samples of that tumor tissue were sent to University of Washington where special staining was done to evaluate whether or not the vaccine might be working on the tumors. Lisa had had a strong immune response from the vaccine up to that point.
Subsequently, we traveled to Italy where Lisa suffered a stroke on the last day of our trip. As a result of the stroke, MRI's found a 3mm brain tumor (not the cause of the stroke). She had gamma knife surgery at that point and we have been on a regimen of herceptin and gemzar ever since.
The good news is that a couple of weeks ago we received the reports of the results of the special stainings of Lisa's lung tissue done by the University of Washington. To our great glee it turns out that Lisa's tumors were invaded and attacked by two different types of T-cells. Further, (Lisa sent in a blood draw in May, 2005) despite the fact that she was taking the Gemzar she maintained a strong immune response from the vaccine.
To top it all off, we visited our oncologist today and learned that Lisa is once again NED! Her brain tumor is gone and her lower body scans are clean as a whistle.
As we begin our 14th year of cancer survival NED we are now very hopeful that the vaccine treatments from the University of Washington will be the source of a long term remission.
We hope that such will be the case for all of the participants of the studies and that this next step to cancer treatment will ultimately be available to everyone soon!
Much love and good luck to all! God Bless!

Brian and Lisa
Old 07-19-2005, 04:11 PM   #2
*_Cynthia_*

Brian and Lisa,

Thank you so very much for your post. That is such fabulous news on all counts. Lisa, you are a true inspiration. How lucky you are to have Brian by your side throughout this battle.

I am a graduate of the Walter Reed vaccine trial. I am almost two years out from my B/C diagnosis (without Herceptin though I will get it starting August 3) and still NED. I too hope and pray that the vaccines are found to be truly effective and that they are made available to more of us fighting the good fight.

Thank you again for sharing your amazing news.

Stay well.

Cynthia
Old 07-19-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
eric

Brian,

Thanks so much for sharing. My wife, Caryn, just had her first vaccine there and your story only helps to reinforce that we made the right decision.

Best of everything to both you and Lisa,
Eric
Old 07-22-2005, 01:04 PM   #4
Lolly

Brian and Lisa, this is truly wonderful news! I am especially intrigued by the information that Lisa continued to maintain a strong immune response despite being on Gemzar. This coorelates with what Dr. Webster told me at my last visit when I asked about the effect of chemo on the immune system after the vaccine. She told me that it appears chemo may actually cause the vaccine to be more effective as chemo disables what's known as "regulator" T cells; these regulator T cells serve to dampen the immune response, at least that's my understanding of it...I ask about this again when I'm up for my follow up blood draw at the end of this month.

Again, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

<3,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
*_Julie_*

I am really interested to know how long the immune response lasts. Are there any statistics provided by UW regarding this?

Thanks,
Julie
Old 07-23-2005, 10:33 AM   #6
Lolly

Julie, that's the million dollar question! UW has data from a 1996 trial of Stage 4 women showing a five year survival rate of 39%, which is pretty remarkable given that the 5 year survival rate for Stage 4 is historically around 10%. We also have Herceptin going for us now, so those of us in the vaccine trial which allows Herceptin use are hoping to up those statistics.

As far as blood work to gage the actual immune response to the vaccine, my understanding is that I'll be followed for a year with blood draws, then an annual questionnaire regarding my health status will be sent to my oncologist.

I hope to enroll in future vaccine studies at UW, and in this way will perhaps have a more specific understanding of how my immune system has responded to the vaccine over time.

<3,
Lolly
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 02:50 AM   #7
Jsterett

U of W phase I vaccine trial

Has anyone here participated in the phase I vaccine trial at UW that does not allow you to be on herceptin at the same time? You must be her2neu positive, but stop the herceptin during the trial. If you have been in the trial, could you let me know how it's going? I'm going to UW in a week and am scheduled to start the trial. Thank you, Jane
Jsterett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 10:49 AM   #8
Julie2

Hi Jane,

Is it a DNA vaccine or peptide vaccine? What is your stage?

regards,
Julie
Old 10-30-2005, 02:48 PM   #9
Jsterett

Vaccine at UW - for Julie

Hi Julie, The vaccine I will receive is a DNA based vaccine. I am stage IV with mets, but they are taking women who are stage III also. Hope this helps, Jane
Old 11-10-2005, 06:52 PM   #10
sherri

Jane,

Have you started the Vaccine? I've been accepted for the same one. But I don't have to give up Herceptin. Mine will start at the end of November. Let me know how you felt after the first one?
Thanks,
Sherri
sherri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:55 AM   #11
caroline

Hello, I am from ENGLAND and one of the few on Herceptin here. I have been reading about the UW trial and I wondered if anyone knows whether there is a similar trial in Europe.
caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 07:08 PM   #12
Jsterett

UW Vaccine trial

Hi Julie, I had my first vaccine on 11/7 and only had a slight flu-like feeling later that evening. I went out to dinner and afterwards was very slightly chilled and achy. I think the aching might have been from the tetanus shot, but who knows! The doctors and nurses were so nice and I loved spending so much time with them. It's so wonderful to be able to ask as many questions as you want to without being rushed! While I was there they told me they are going to start letting women enroll who are on herceptin now. I had already gone off of it, so am not going to start back up now. They said this is a new change to the trial. Good luck to you! It was a very positive experience! Jane S.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:52 PM   #13
mamacze

Oh Brian, How nice to hear from you and Lisa again and with such good news! Thank you for your detailed update; it is quite encouraging; it is so nice when angels like you share the good news!
Love Kim from CT
mamacze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:09 PM   #14
michele u

Brian,
Do you remember how long it took Lisa to get a immune repsonse? I still don't have one but they said it might be early still. I got my last vaccine in august. I'm hoping when they check my blood for a week ago i have one!!
michele u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:04 AM   #15
angelwings

feels nice reading about how you are devoted to your wife's illness.
angelwings is offline   Reply With Quote