HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #41
TiffanyS

Re: Scans on Monday

Thanks Carol Ann. I’m so discouraged because I got such good news before Christmas. I don’t understand how my CT scan from December 12 could be so positive, and yet have the cancer grow back so soon after. I’m hoping it’s just a pimple!

¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬ ¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Second mammogram and ultrasound.
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
01/16 – Chest scan and bone scan done– all looks good.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s normal. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for one year).
04/16 – Have port put in.
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Finished chemo! One month off and then I start radiation.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
07/16 – First radiation treatment – 24 more to go!
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my scar.
08/16 – I am told that I have a “local recurrence” and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery.
09/16 – Go for rush ultrasound, bone scan, breast MRI and CT scan.
09/16 – Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments.
10/16 – Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
11/16 - CA-15-30 blood test – Tumour markers are normal at 19.
11/16 – Second CEA blood test – Tumours markers are still normal at 1.6
11/16 – Second CA-15-30 bloot test – Tumour markers are still normal at 19
11/16 – Develop lymphedema and have to wear a sleeve
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour was located. Scared it’s a cancer recurrence.
TiffanyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 12:49 PM   #42
Juls

Hi Amy
I don't know what to do this time.
Previous scan was 6 months gap. I am concerned that they are not telling me something- Last time one Doctor let slip about some pleural thickening that was a tiny bit bigger. First time it had been mentioned to me. I didn't query this as the concern had been with possible fracture in femur. Now wonder if this is why CT sooner! If I cancel - am I just delaying the inevitable!
The scan is also on same day as my treatment so have to go early morning for blood test. Then CT early afternoon. Then back to ward for treatment. Also might not get report until next treatment date in February!
My Daughter is getting married in April & if I am honest I do not want to change anything before wedding. I am due at the hospital the day after the wedding - which is bad enough! (Although I might ask to delay a week)
I realise this sounds silly but really don't want to be the " ill " Mother at the wedding.
Juls
Juls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #43
TiffanyS

My doctor just emailed me back, and she advised that she will be examining me personally next Tuesday. She said she may have to send me for an ultrasound, but she wants to see what it looks like first. I can’t wait until next Tuesday! In the meantime, I’ve been keeping this to myself, as I don’t want to worry my family or friends in the event that it’s not cancer. They were all so excited by my good news before Christmas, that I don’t want to disappoint them now with bad news. It never seems to end for us does it?

Juls, if you think your doctor is keeping something from you, tell them. It’s your right to know everything regarding your health, and they are obligated to tell you everything. If they still hesitate, ask for copies of your scans and test results. They should be obligated to give them to you. I know that they are in Canada.

12/15 – First mammogram
01/16 – Meet surgeon and go for third mammogram, second ultrasound and biopsy. Surgeon confirms cancer in left breast and lymph nodes and sets surgery date.
02/16 – Surgery - left breast mastectomy and 16 lymph nodes removed (8 had cancer).
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s normal. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Meet radiation oncologist and find out results of Pathology Report. I’m told that I have locally advanced breast cancer, based on the size of my tumour (7 cm!) and the fact that they found cancer cells in eight lymph nodes. I’m also told that I’m HER 2 positive, with high levels of estrogen and progesterone and that my cancer is stage 3, grade 2.
03/16 – Meet oncologist and am told that my cancer is actually grade 3, and that I should have done chemo before surgery. Too late now!
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for one year).
04/16 – Get second dose of chemo, but Docetaxal is left out due to liver enzymes being high. I was unable to get a full dose of Docetaxal after my first treatment.
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Went for Genetic Testing to see if I have the BRCA gene. Tested negative for BRCA I and II
08/16 – I am told that I have a “local recurrence” and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery.
09/16 – Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
09/16 – Meet oncologist who advises that the ultrasound and bone scan results look good, and that MRI shows three small masses at surgery site, but lymph nodes are clear. Still awaiting the results of the CT scan, but we are positive it will look good.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments.
10/16 – Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Meet surgeon, who reviews my CT scan and advises that the spots on my lungs may not be cancer, and that he doesn’t see a lymph node in my chest. He thinks it’s a spot on my lung. I’m feeling very confused! He advises that my oncologist doesn’t want me to have surgery to remove the three small masses on my scar line, as she wants to use them as a way to determine if the treatment is working. He advises that if they have not shrunk in 6 months, he will revisit surgery.
10/16 – CEA blood test to determine Tumour markers. Results were normal (2.7). My doctor advises that this could mean two things: (1) that the treatment is working, and the tumours are shrinking, or (2), that I'm one of those people who never get elevated CEA levels. Given that some people never get an elevated CEA level, this test doesn’t seem very accurate to me! Asked for PET scan, but am told I don’t qualify.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour was located. Scared it’s a cancer recurrence.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:41 PM   #44
Juls

Hi Tiffany
It's like the secret service here! It has taken me over 3 years to get shown CT's & a glance at reports. Wish I had been allowed this at start.
I now write down all info I can remember and take details of blood tests. I would love to be sent actual reports immediately - at same time as Consultant receives them.
I am fed up of having reports (bad or good) read out to me in middle of ward with everyone listening or in corridor to ward with joe public walking past. To me this is not very confidential or professional.
I have even been thinking of getting private scan done to avoid all the protocol!

I am obviously becoming a control freak - lol!
Juls
Old 01-03-2017, 02:58 PM   #45
TiffanyS

I sometimes feel like my doctors are holding things back from me, and I made it very clear to them that I want to know everything, not matter what. Even if I don’t understand, I want to know, and I’ll look it up. They told me it was my right to know everything, and if I ask for copies of my blood tests or scans, they give them to me. The only downside, is if I want a copy of my scans for myself, I have to pay for them. Have you ever mentioned to your doctor that you want to be told your results in private? They shouldn’t be telling you anything in the hallway. My doctor always gives me my results in one of the private offices. Maybe it is time to look into a private scan, just so you can know exactly what’s going on.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 01-03-2017, 03:26 PM   #46
Juls

Thanks Tiffany
I could write a book on all the unprofessional things that have happened!
One of the Nurses actually told me that all my research and questions were giving her a hard time!!
I 'd be happy to pay for reports. Mind you this reminds me of story I heard from another patient- she was told that a copy of CT was £10 so she happily paid for it. When she got the CT it couldn't be opened. It turned out you had to pay for password as well. No-one had mentioned this!
Juls
Old 01-04-2017, 05:45 AM   #47
TiffanyS

It goes to show that no health care system is perfect. That being said, I’m glad that I live in Canada and have public health care, otherwise, I would be bankrupt right now due to all of my treatments!

Keep asking questions Juls, even if it annoys the nurses and doctors! This is your health, and you need to do what’s best for you. That’s why I emailed my doctor yesterday. At first I didn’t want to bother her, and was going to wait until I saw her next Tuesday, but I changed my mind. She’s my doctor, and her job is to treat me, so I emailed her. I was happy that she emailed me back so quickly.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 01-04-2017, 06:46 AM   #48
Mtngrl

Having an incurable illness is bad enough, but then we also have to figure out how to navigate the system. Phooey.

Hang in there, everyone.

Amy
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #49
MaineRottweilers

Tiffany, it's very frightening considering all you ave been through and there is little peace I can give you in words but I want you to know that I really am praying it's nothing. ..but how will we actually know?

You had recent good scans, you've just started Perjeta and it is known to cause pimple like rashes on the head, face and torso of many people who take it, and you're just getting used to the new surgical you. My chest, nearly four years later tingles, burns and twitches periodically. I hope that all of those things are what you are experiencing right now. ...but how will we know?

I can feel and understand your worry, it's the same worry we all live with from now on. Even when we are told things are going well, the smallest thing can cause us to worry that it's not. ...but how will we know?

Cancer doesn't just ravage our bodies, it steals our peace. As our dear friend, Flori, likes to say, CUCK FANCER.

Prayers for peace, Tiff...xoxo
5/1/13 IDC ER/PR- HER2/neu+++
5/14/13 Mastectomy and SN biopsy
5/20/13 IDC Stage IIb Grade 3 Nodes 1/4 also IDC and DCIS multi focal in remaining dissected tissue.
5/30/13 MUGA and CT thorax, abdomen & pelvis, establish baseline.
6/4/13 Installed my little purple power port.
6/14/13 Chemo started TCH
6/14/13 Informed of suspicious ares on scans scheduled PET.
7/1/13 PET Scan NED!
9/27/13 FINAL CHEMO taken! ----well, maybe not.
10/15/13 Three little tattoos.
10/24/13 Radiation begins and fourth tattoo placed.
11/27/13 Perfectly radiant! Radiation completed the day before Thanksgiving and so, so much to be thankful for this year and every day hereafter.
1/2/14 Happy New Year, you have a Goiter? Muga down to 59%.
1/17/14 Hashimoto's Dz Dx'd. Now maybe I'll feel BETTER!
5/2/14 Herceptin completed! New kitten!
8/19/14 Prophylactic mastectomy (right) and PORT OUT! I'm DONE and now I really am a SURVIVOR.
2/15 Started not feeling so swell. Memory lapses and GI issues with nausea and blurry vision.
4/30/15 U/S cystic gallbladder, cyst on right ovary and mass in my uterus. GYN consult scheduled---and cancelled. I'm not ready.
5/4/15 Brain MRI clear (big sigh of relief)
7/30/15 Back Pain
8/31/15 Radiograph: compression fracture L2
9/10/15 Bone Scan positive
9/21/15 CT scan conclusive for tumor
10/1/15 CT guided biopsy & Brain to Pelvis MRI reveal additional lesions on spine C6, T10, T11 and L2 is collapsing.
10/8/15 Abbreviated pathology: new tumor(s) poorly differentiated carcinoma consistent with known breast primary.
ER-/PR+ (40%)
HER2/neu+++ Ki-67 4% Pancytokeratin AE1/3 Strong Positivity in all malignant cells.
10/13/15 Abnormal Dexa: moderate risk of fracture to both femoral head/neck R&L. Significant risk to lumbar spine.
10/14/15 Radiation consult back to the cooker.
10/20/15 MUGA 50% down from 54% after a year off Herceptin (???)
10/21/15 Kyphoplasty L2
10/22/15 Re-start Chemo: Perjeta, Herceptin & Taxotere
10/26/15 PET Scan confirms C6, T10-11, L2, new lesion noted at L4 but no visceral involvement---Happy dance!!!
10//29/15 Xgeva
10/29/15 Radiation Simulation--three new tattoos to add to my collection. Just call me Dotty.
10/30/15 CA27-29 63 U/mol (<38 U/mol)
11/3/15 First Trip to see Dr. E. Mayer at DFCI
11/4/15 Surgical consult to re-install my little purple power port.
11/9/15 Radiation treatment one of five.
11/10/15 Installed my little purple power port and not a moment too soon, took them four tries to get an IV started today.
Yes, we really are going down this road again.
12/5/15 CT for suspected pulmonary embolism demonstrates increase in T10-11 mets.
12/8/15 Bone Scan uptake at T10-11 (not seen 9/17/15) & Right 8th Rib (not evident on PET 10/26/15)
12/10/15 Consult Re: PROGRESSION. Halt THP due today. Schedule PET and order TDM1 for next week. PLAN B.
12/14/15 PET scan: NO PROGRESSION! THP is working, metabolic activity minimal. Merry Christmas to me! Sticking with PLAN A, it's working.
1/7/16 Start Taxol weekly instead of Taxotere (has been too taxing and not rebounding between txs.) Zometa instead of Xgeva.
3/28/16 CT shows new sclerotic lesions on T12, L3, L5, L6, right ilium and head of right femur. No uptake on Bone Scan (progression????)
3/31/16 Discontinue Taxol start Arimidex, still getting H&P.
6/2/16 Discontinue Arimidex and start Exemestane.
6/18/16 PET is NEAD!!
7/1/16 Discontinue Exemestane and restart Armidex (SEs)
8/29/16 CT/Bone Scan Stable (still uptake at T10-11)
10/3/16 BSO pathology negative
10/10/16 MRI: Brain clear!
10/14/16 Switched care to Harold Alfond Center for Cancer Care
11/24/16 Xgeva, New MO preference to Zometa
12/12/16 CT/Bone scan Mostly stable significant uptake at L2 plan to PET
1/12/17 PET shows NEAD celebrate with a new puppy!
3/29/17 CT & BS = NEAD
7/31/17 Aetna denies access to H&P <gearing up for a fight>
8/4/17 CT& BS= STABLE
8/9/17 No treatment, Aetna still denying H&P
8/14/17 Aetna appeal approved H&P through February 2018!
2/5/18 CT & BS = STABLE

//
MaineRottweilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:05 PM   #50
JillaryJill

You are all so brave. I can't imagine what you are going through, constant scanxiety. Hugs and prayers to you all that are still fighting.
ER- PR- Her2+++, grade 3, 12 positive nodes out of 15
Stage IIIc
Started TCH/Chemo December 31, 2010
6 rounds TCH
Herceptin every 3 weeks for a year
33 rounds of TomoTube radiation, to chest wall, neck, skin and lymph area
September, 2011, MRI to lower spine, hips, DX bulging disk, L4 & L5, pain not from cancer
Expanders removed, implants in Dec 1, 2011
Finished Herceptin, December 21, 2011
August 2012, CT of chest and abdomen, all ok
Enrolled in MC1136 Phase I Peptide Vaccine Trial at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota
March 2013, First Vaccine
April 2013, 2nd Vaccine
May 2013, 3rd Vaccine
June 2013, 4th Vaccine
July 2013, 5th Vaccine
August 2013, 6th Vaccine Done!
September 2013, Mayo visit, Echo results 68, vaccine did not effect my heart! Blood work normal.
January 31, 2013, Mayo visit, Echo normal
February 23, 2014, Numb lips on right side, Brain MRI, normal!
June, 2015, Finished the trial at Mayo Clinic. Feels good!
JillaryJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:48 AM   #51
TiffanyS

Thanks everyone. I’ve been trying to keep busy, and not think about it, but right now, I’m just counting down the days until next Tuesday when my doctor can examine the area herself. I know that Perjeta can cause pimples, but what are the chances that a pimple would pop up right beside where one of my masses used to be. The area were the mass used to be is red and a little caved-in, due to radiation, and the pimple is right beside the red, caved-in area. The good news is, the pimple hasn’t gotten any bigger since I noticed it on Christmas day, but it hasn’t gotten any smaller either. I hope my doctor sends me for an ultrasound, so that we can determine what it is for sure.

What really worries me is that this is how my first recurrence occurred. I noticed two “pimples” on my scar-line after chemo number two, which I showed to my doctor’s resident while at the clinic for chemo number three, and he told me that they were scar tissue. When a third pimple showed up after chemo number four, I showed my doctor’s fellow, and he also told me it was scar tissue. I then found out, two days before finishing radiation, and these pimples were not scar tissue, but where, in fact, cancer! If my radiation oncologist, who also thought the pimples were scar tissue, hadn’t been on vacation, we may not have figured out that the cancer had come back. It was my last appointment, and the doctor covering for my radiation oncologist examined me and decided to biopsy the area. That’s how we found out that I had a recurrence. Everyone else thought the pimples where scar tissue, but he knew better. I’m hoping that it’s just a pimple, but, if it’s not, at least we caught it early this time. I’m hoping once I’m back on chemo, that it will go away. The downside is, this will probably mean that I’ll have to get more chemo treatments than originally planned. I’m supposed to get three to four more treatments, but if the cancer has come back, I may need more. I have to admit that I’m not happy about getting chemo again after a four week break. The neuropathy in my feet has been so mild, that I sometimes forget about it, and I haven’t had a foot spasm in weeks. I still have shortness of breath though, due to my red blood count being low. I’ve been told that there is a needle they can give me to bring my red blood count up, and I’m going to ask my doctor about it when I see her next week.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:11 AM   #52
TiffanyS

I went to the hospital yesterday for my first treatment of the year, and my doctor examined the pimple on my chest wall. She told me that she couldn't feel anything under the sink around the pimple, and that she’s not sure if it’s just a pimple or cancer. At first she said she wanted to monitor it, however, I told her no. I asked for an ultrasound, but she doesn’t think the ultrasound would show her anything. She said the only way to know for sure if the pimple is cancer is to biopsy it, and she’s going to have a surgeon come by during my treatment next week to cut off the pimple. We should know shortly after that if it’s cancer or not. That being said, she does not want to change my current treatment plan even if it is cancer. She said that the Perjeta is working in regard to the cancer on my lungs and in my chest, and that with a few extra doses chemo, this cancer should clear up as well.

I also got a copy of the radiologists report for my CT scan. I’ve read it a few times, and the scan showed that several of the nodules on my lungs have decreased in size or resolved, and that the rest are stable. There are also no new nodules identified. In regard to the lymph nodes in the middle of my chest, the scan showed that there was a reduction in the right lymph node, and that the remainder of the lymph nodes are stable. My doctor told me that lymph does are harder to treat, which is why she wants me to get eight more treatments of chemo (16 more doses) starting with yesterday’s treatment. This means I will get getting chemo until the end of February, instead of the end of January as originally planned, however, if that’s what I have to do to get rid of this cancer, that that’s what I’ll do! The scan could not see the small masses along the chest wall, and also confirmed that the cancer has not spread to any of my other organs!

I have to admit that I’m not happy about getting chemo again after a four week break. The neuropathy in my feet has been so mild, that I sometimes forget about it, and I haven’t had a foot spasm in weeks. I still have shortness of breath though, which I thought was due to my red blood count being low, however, my doctor told me yesterday that my red blood count was good, and that she thinks the shortness of breath, along with the chest congestion and mild cough I started to develop over the weekend, are caused by a weakened heart. The drug Herceptin can cause heart damage, and my last echo test, which was done last Friday, showed that my heart is slightly weak. It’s not so bad that I have to stop taking the drug, however, it may be the reason why I’m experiencing shortness of breath, and what is causing the cough and chest congestion. My doctor gave me a puffer to help with these symptoms, and so far it’s working.

I noticed during my chemo break that the hair on my head has really started to grow and thicken, however, my eyelashes and eyebrows have started to thin out. I’m sure that the hair on my head will start to thin out again now that I’m back on chemo. It’s too bad, as I’m really getting tired of wearing a wig, and would love to be able to cut and colour my hair so I wouldn’t have to wear it anymore. I also lost 2.5 pounds in the last three weeks and I think it’s because I haven’t had steroids since December 6. Now that I’m back on the steroids though, the weight will probably come back. Oh well. As long as everything else is good, these things are the least of my concerns.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 01-11-2017, 08:21 AM   #53
Mtngrl

Dear Tiffany,

I hope you get the "success" you're looking for, but the best advice I can give you is to let go of all investment in outcomes. (I have found this to be an excellent life-strategy in general. I control nothing. All I can do is manage what comes up.)

Perjeta was designed to work with Herceptin. It is prescribed with a taxane at first, then if the taxane is dropped, it can be given as a maintenance treatment unless and until more chemo is needed.

Take it one day at a time. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. Every day, find some joy and meaning. Then that will be a "successful" day for you.

At least the "pimple" is easy to biopsy! I predict it's nothing. Also, I wonder if it would help you to think of "progression" and not "recurrence." You had the recurrence--your early stage cancer became metastatic. Stage IV is incurable, so that's that. Chances are, you'll be playing whack-a-mole from now on--at least until there is an actual cure. About 1% to 2% escape the gravitational pull of Stage IV. The vast majority stay in its orbit.

I'm not criticizing or judging. I just think you might be causing yourself needless suffering. Do everything you can, in every moment of now, to take good care of your body, mind, and spirit. And let go of the rest.

All the best,
4/29/11 CT scan shows suspicious lesions on liver and lungs
5/17/11 liver biopsy
5/24/11 liver met confirmed--Stage IV at diagnosis
5/27/11 Begin weekly Taxol & Herceptin for 3 months (standard of care at the time of my DX)
7/18/11 Switch to weekly Abraxane & Herceptin due to Taxol allergy
8/29/11 CT scan shows no new lesions & old lesions shrinking
9/27/11 Finish Abraxane. Start Herceptin every 3 weeks. Begin taking Arimidex
10/17/11--Brain MRI--No Brain mets
12/5/11 PET scan--Almost NED
5/15/12 PET scan shows progression-breast/chest/spine (one vertebra)
5/22/12 Stop taking Arimidex; stay on Herceptin
6/11/12 Started Tykerb and Herceptin on clinical trial (w/no chemo)
9/24/12 CT scan--No new mets. Everything stable.
3/11/13 CT Scan--two small new possible mets and odd looking area in left lung getting larger.
4/2/13--Biopsy of suspicious area in lower left lung. Mets to lung confirmed.
4/30/13 Begin Kadcyla/TDM-1
8/16/13 PET scan "mixed," with some areas of increased uptake, but also some definite improvement, so I'll stay on TDM-1/Kadcyla.
11/11/13 Finally get hormone receptor results from lung biopsy of 4/2/13. My cancer is no longer ER positive.
11/13/13 PET scan mixed results again. We're calling it "stable." Problems breathing on exertion.
2/18/14 PET scan shows a new lesion and newly active lymph node in chest, other progression. Bye bye TDM-1.
2/28/14 Begin Herceptin/Perjeta every 3 weeks.
6/8/14 PET "mixed," with no new lesions, and everything but lower lungs improving. My breathing is better.
8/18/14 PET "mixed" again. Upper lungs & one spine met stable, lower lungs less FDG avid, original tumor more avid, one lymph node in mediastinum more avid.
9/1/14 Begin taking Xeloda one week on, one week off. Will also stay on Herceptin and Perjeta every three weeks.
12/11/14 PET Scan--no new lesions, and everything looks better than it did.
3/20/15 PET Scan--no new lesions, but lower lung lesions larger and a bit more avid.
4/13/15 Increasing Xeloda dose to 10 days on, one week off.
7/1/15 Scan "mixed" again, but suggests continuing progression. Stop Xeloda. Substitute Abraxane every 3 weeks starting 7/13.
10/28/15 PET scan shows dramatic improvement everywhere. All lesions except lower lungs have resolved; lower lungs noticeably improved.
12/18/15 Last Abraxane. Continue on Herceptin and Perjeta alone beginning 1/8/16.
1/27/16 PET scan shows cancer is stable.
5/11/16 PET scan shows uptake in some areas that were resolved on the last two scans.
6/3/16 Begin Kadcyla and Tykerb combination
6/5 - 6/23 Horrible diarrhea from K&T together. Got pneumonia.
7/15/16 Begin Kadcyla only every 3 weeks.
9/6/16 Begin radiation therapy on right lung lesion that caused the pneumonia.
10/3/16 Last of 12 radiation treatments to right lung.
11/4/16 Huffing and puffing, low O2, high heart rate, on tiniest bit of exertion. Diagnosed as radiation pneumonitis. Treated with Prednisone.
11/11/16 PET scan shows significant improvement to radiated part of right lung BUT a bunch of new lung lesions, and the bone met is getting worse.
11/22/16 Begin Eribulin and Herceptin. H every 3 weeks. E two weeks on, one week off.
3/6/17 Scan shows progression in lungs. Bone met a little better.
3/23/17 Lung biopsy. Tumor sampled is ER-, PR+ (5%), HER2+++. Getting Herceptin and Perjeta as a maintenance treatment.
5/31/17 Port placement
6/1/17 Start Navelbine & Tykerb
Mtngrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:24 AM   #54
TiffanyS

Amy, I hope you’re right that the pimple is nothing, but if it’s not, I’d rather know now than later, in the event that we need to change my treatment plan. It just gets discouraging when this cancer keeps coming back. I just can’t seem to get rid of the cancer on my chest wall. Like you said, I have no control over the matter, and what happens, happens, but it’s still frustrating. That being said, my anxiety has gotten better, and I’m feeling a lot calmer now. At least the medication seems to be working in regard to the nodules on my lungs and the lymph nodes in my chest. That’s something to be positive about.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my scar. I am told that I have a “local recurrence” and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to biopsy it in early January to see if it’s cancer.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #55
TiffanyS

My doctor talked me out of biopsying the pimple on my chest wall. She said it was too small for a needle, and that she would have to have a surgeon cut it off, which could lead to infection or, even, caner growth. She said that she’s more concerned about the cancer on my lungs and in my lymph nodes in my chest, and that as long as the medication is working in that regard, she just wants to monitor the pimple for now. She did advise that it’s most likely cancer, but that as long as it doesn’t grow, she’s not that concerned about it. She hopes that the Taxol will take care of it, however, if it starts to grow, she will look at an alternative treatment plan. For now, it’s status quo.

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my scar. I am told that I have a “local recurrence” and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Meet surgeon who advises that I need to meet with a plastic surgeon, as they will need to do a skin graft to close me up after surgery. Meet plastic surgeon and all looks good. A surgery date is set for October 4.
10/16 – Meet oncologist, who advises that I have to take Perjeta before I can take TDM1. I start Perjeta/Herceptin every three weeks for an indefinite amount of time, and Taxol, which I will take two weeks in a row with one week off and then two weeks in a row for 8-16 treatments. Stop Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
12/16 – CT Scan shows that the tumors on my lungs and the lymph node in the middle of my chest are shrinking, and that some have resolved. Also, the small masses along my scar line are no longer visible. This means the medication is working!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to biopsy it in early January to see if it’s cancer.
Old 01-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #56
TiffanyS

My doctor told me today that I will need three more treatments of Taxol (six doses in total), which will take me to the end of March. After that, I’ll be going for a chest scan, and, if all looks good, I will be taken off the Taxol. If things haven’t improved though, I will need at least another four more treatments (eight more doses of chemo). If the side-effects get worse, they will either lower my dosage, or give me a prescription. Here’s to hoping that I only have three more treatments of Taxol!

12/15 – First mammogram
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
Old 02-08-2017, 06:42 AM   #57
TiffanyS

I got my appointment for a CT Chest scan, and it’s on March 13. Right now, my last chemo is schedule for March 21, and, after that, I’m supposed to go off of chemo and continue with just Herceptin and Perjeta. If my CT chest scan results are not good however, I will be continuing with chemo for another four to eight treatments, with a four week chemo break when I got to Europe at the end of April. I am hoping for good results! After that, my next full body CT scan will be in June.

I still have the small pimple on my chest well, and, there’s another small one that has shown up across from it. My doctor is still monitoring them, however, she thinks they may be scar tissue. I’m a little hesitant to believe this, as that’s what they told me the last time a pimple grew along my scar-line, and it ended up being cancer. It’s also at the end of a stretch mark, and my doctor advised that it could be part of the stretch mark, and not a pimple at all. It’s hard to say, as the area where the old tumours were located is changing. Radiation opened up the previous scar-tissue (which was really a tumour), and the area is now red and caved-in a bit. It’s changing, and my doctor says that the area is healing and the red, caved-in area, is filling in. The good news is, the small pimple hasn’t grown since I noticed it on Christmas day. The CT chest scan may show this area, however, my doctor advised that she won’t know if it’s cancer or scar-tissue from the scan. Only a biopsy will tell her that, and she doesn’t want to do one right now. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.

I also have a second brain MRI schedule for the end of May, however, my doctor is trying to get me an earlier appointment. She seems rushed to get me a brain MRI, and when I asked her why, she just said I should get one every six months, and April puts my at the six month point. I don’t think one extra month is a big deal, and I’m worried that there’s a reason she’s pushing for an earlier scan. I know that HER 2 positive means higher chance of brain mets, but would scanning one month earlier really make a difference if I have brain mets? I guess she thinks so.

So, I’m now counting down the says until my CT chest scan. I know it’s a little over a month away, however, I’m anxious to get the results, as it means will determine if I can finally stop taking chemo!

12/15 – First mammogram
02/16 – CT scan done – small nodules on lung but Doctor advises it’s post surgical. They will continue to monitor just in case.
03/16 – Start first of six doses of chemo (Carboplatin and Docetaxal) and Herceptin (for 18 months).
06/16 – Start Tamoxifen.
08/16 – Radiation oncologist biopsies “scar tissue” on my chest wall. I am told that I have a local recurrence and need to have rush surgery.
09/16 – Get a call from my oncologist, who advises that CT scan shows small spots on my lungs, and a large lymph node in the middle of my chest. This means the cancer has spread! She looks into getting me funded for TDM-1 and cancels my surgery.
10/16 – Brain MRI – NED!
12/16 – Small “pimple” shows up where old tumour on chest wall was located. Doctor is going to monitor it for now.
03/17 – CT Chest scan scheduled to see if there’s improvement to chest and lungs. If results the are good, I get to stop taking Taxol!
05/17 – Second brain MRI scheduled