HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #41
suzan w

I am a retired art teacher from VT, then moved to FL, then house got hit by Hurricane Charley in '04, moved to Washington where my youngest son (27) lives with his wife.My oldest son (30) and his wife are great adventurers and have just left their jobs, children's museum director, and health teacher, to go off on a 4 month backcountry ski trip through the US and Canada. Both boys have diabetes (youngest was 2 when diagnosed, eldest was 10). I live with a wonderful partner (don't think there are many other gay women here!), we love to travel, snowshoe, hike, and are avid birdwatchers. We also have a great little cabin in the high desert of New Mexico. I am in the middle of illustrating a book that a friend has just written...about a girl and her dog and the ravens of New Mexico! Diagnosed with invasive lobular bc in May '05...surgery, chemo...now herceptin for a year.
suzan w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:30 PM   #42
eric

Hi all,

My wife Caryn has her MSW (Masters in Social Work) and has not worked since being diagnosed stage 4 in 7/04. While she's been feeling great physically she's had a very hard time going back to work. She's afraid that she won't be able to "be there" for others but she has decided to try and go back part time.

I'm the Eastern Regional Sales Manager for a unique company in the Incentive industry. In addition to setting up sales incentive, employee recognition and customer loyalty programs we're also the largest Direct Manufacturer's Representative for top name brands in the country. Needless to say, I love my job and take great pride in the company that I work for, but it pales in comparison to the pride I feel for my wife and kids.

Caryn and I live in New Jersey with our two wonderful children, Jennifer (13) and Zachary (10). The three of them are truly the light of my life.

Eric
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:37 AM   #43
Lee

New here, but thought I'd join in....

I'm an attorney/lobbyist for a financial services organization. I really enjoy my job, and miss traveling (often to DC). I was diagnosed in Sept. 05 with Her2 +++ breast cancer, had a lumpectomy, and started a chemo regimen of carbo/taxol/herceptin in late October. It was originally thought I was stage II but my pre-chemo PET and CT scans showed 3 lesions on my liver and 1 on my pelvis. Fortunately, a CT I had in December showed all the spots on my liver were reduced by about 2/3 and the lesion on my pelvis was gone. I had another follow-up CT yesterday and will find out results tomorrow.

I am so grateful this site exists, I have learned a LOT and have had some really good discussions with my oncologist because of this site.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 08:55 AM   #44
Diane H

I am an avid outdoor fan, love my horse, garden, dogs, birdwatching, taking care of my chickens. Also LOVE to go antiquing. As a means to these ends I work as a restaurant manager in a family owned Italian restaurant in Maryland. Iblame the restaurant for 40 lbs of excess weight! LOL> I also love to cook. Am looking for new directions in my life, cancer has been a wake up call for me and I want to give back and grow-- so glad to have found this site and others, Thank you Joe and Christine. Oh and I cannot forget the most wonderful thing in my life, My husband Robert, He is my shining star and support, bless him. He has his own health issues and I hope to be there for him.

Last edited by Diane H; 02-22-2006 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: Forgot a very important thing
Diane H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 09:03 AM   #45
BonnieT

Smile

Hi
Wow it was great reading everyones posts !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am 42 and have been married to the greatest man for almost 17 years , he has always been there for me !!!
I am a "retired" Respiratoy Therapist, I decided to stay home with our 3 children about 8 years ago. My husband calls me a
"Domestic engineer"
We have 2 boys ages 12 and 8 and one girl age 5.
My husband is a Family Nurse Practitioner and works for a great orthopedic clinic they told him whenever he needs time off for me he can have it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks to all of you for sharing, it's great to have a group of people you can always turn to , you guys are the BEST !!
BonnieT
BonnieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #46
Marlys

I so enjoy this thread I am Bringing it up again.
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 05:07 PM   #47
TriciaK

I hope this thread doesn't get lost! Can it be set apart as a sticky, Joe? I think it has been wonderful to get to know each other a little better, though I would love accompnying photos, too, for everyone. Hugs, Tricia
TriciaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:51 PM   #48
Tami

I am in Corporate Sales for Callaway Golf. When I was diagnosed in 4/04 I had only been with the company 9 months and they were fantastic. The entire sales organization donated months of vacation to me so that I could take the week off after chemo, etc. It was one of the many blessings that came from this horrible diagnosis.

One of my concerns with the lymph node dissection was whether or not it would affect my golf swing. I am happy to report - so far so good!

I have been married for 21 years to my best friend. We met 33 years ago in 7th grade when we were 12. We have 3 boys - 11, 14 and 16 and at times I feel I live in a frat house. When we got a dog I insisted we get a female to help balance out some of the testosterone in the house. Before I went back to work I had the good fortune of staying home with my boys when they were young. I went back to work when my youngest started 1st grade. We are a pretty active family - golfing, skiing, surfing (bogey boarding for me) and basketball.

Inspite of BC, life is very good.

Best
Tami
Tami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:54 PM   #49
Patricia

I am 38 years old and a Sr. Program Manager in IT in a software company. My husband and I have been together for 12 years and married for 7. We each have 2 kids of our own and together we had a maltese. She is 'our baby'. My mother gave my husband the book "Breast Cancer Husband" when I was diagnosed last summer, but luckily for me he didn't really need it, although we both enjoyed reading it. I was blessed with a wonderful breast cancer husband and there is no way I could have done this with him.

We love flowers, decorating the house, exploring San Francisco (we still explore after 20 years living here)cooking, entertaining and geeky computer stuff.

This post has been wonderful seeing what everyone's non-cancer life entails.
This site has been such a wealth of knowledge for me and I am so grateful for it.

Patricia
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:19 AM   #50
Unregistered

Living

What I do for a living is travel, stay current with immediate family (between my husband and myself we have 14 siblings), read, walk, and take care of my dogs -- Gizmo (a papillion) and Penney (a long-haired chihuahua). I love to cook and read cookbooks, I also keep up with my two grandchildren, Angelo and Carlo. I also keep very busy with my daughter (26) and son (21).
I don't spend as much time as I would like to on this board right now...my husband has recently been treated with gamma knife and his cancer that has been "hiding" is starting to appear in the abdomen and chest. He's a great guy and we've been married for 30 years. Right now it's very time-consuming between the internist, neurosurgeon, oncologist, etc. I can't believe we have a family oncologist.

What I do for a paycheck -- I am an Executive Assistant who works with a private investor who manages his family's portfolios and a private foundation. We have worked together for 30 years believe it or not. I have a great job with great hours (10:00 until 4:00) and a boss that understands family comes before anything.

I love "hearing" from everyone, and promise to get more involved in time.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #51
Unregistered

Oops, forgot name

I forgot to sign my prior message, since I wasn't logged in.

Vi Schorpp
Old 03-01-2006, 06:58 PM   #52
jjfromcanada

A friend who also has bc once said her health is her job and reading through this and so many other posts in so many other threads makes me think that applies to many of us. Maybe an avocation for some, but our health is very much part of our daily "job".

I am a training and technical writer. Sometimes. Whenever I can find a contract and sometimes I don't look very hard. Mostly I like to ski and golf and read. And I work on my health.
jjfromcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:03 PM   #53
Diane Nathan

This is a wonderful Forum for us all to express ourselves. I have either volunteered or worked in the health field for women. In the early 80,s while living in Dallas, I helped with the start up of the Susan Komen Foundation by helping women who did not have insurance get mammograms at Parkland Hospital. My Husband was COO of Parkland at the time. From there I worked for 2 Gyn Oncologists until we moved to Florida. I then worked at a Breast Center in Miami part time until 1998. Our youngest went off to college, we have 3 wonderful children and 4 Grandchildren, so my husband and I decided to move to a Country Club Community in Delray Beach. Several of us in our community started making Breast Cancer Bracelets to sell and a yearly golf tourny to raise money for Cancer Reaseach. Little did I know that 2 years later, in 2003, I would be diagnosed with BC........How it hits home! My community and Country Club has been absolutely wonderful, raising more money each year. It has become like a full time job to several of us.

My Husband has been wonderful and stayed home for 2 months helping me decide what to do but he had to return to work which included traveling (he helps hospitals that are in financial trouble) so my daughter who lives in Dallas and her 2 children moved in with me for 7 months during treatment. She litteraly gave up her life so I wouldn't be alone. I just had to mention how important family and support is, especially at a time like this and how grateful I am to have it. This site is part of this wonderful support system.

Thank you all for sharing.
Diane Nathan
Diagnosed at 55 in 2003
Old 03-16-2006, 09:58 PM   #54
Marlys

Just bringing it forward again!
Marlys
Marlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:42 AM   #55
madubois63

Glad this came back up...

I never saw this thread and am glad to learn about everyone. I see a lot of you are/were in the health care field. I once read something about artificial light being a culprit...also someone mentioned chemicals.

I worked in the printing industry for nearly 20 years. Not blaming anyone, but I am sure that the stuff I worked with was not good for me. I started at 18 as a part time secretary (should have stayed that way) for a small printing company...before long, I was operating a huge camera that needed two rooms - one room for the actual camera where I loaded artwork that was to be printed and the dark room where I loaded large sheets of film (20 x 24) and then developed the negatives. I mixed chemicals and used large open trays for developing for years. I also burned plates (for the presses) and developed them with more chemicals. After getting married and having two babies to care for, I worked at a gym running the nursery. Hectic, but good job to have when you have kids...I brought my kids with me. when the kids started school so did I...I worked at a teacher's aide so that I had off when the kids had off. As they got older, I decided it was time to go back to work full time. I took a job at another print shop. My husband and I divorced at that time and then I was diagnosed with IBC. After chemo, I received SSD and was able to stay at home and recoup from surgery and radiation. I then went to college and finally earned my Associates in Paralegal Studies {with honors }. I did an internship at a great firm that ended up offering me a job. I handled divorce cases and loved my job. I also continued on with school, working towards my Bachelors and did bankruptcies on the side. And then came the cough...Since the relapse I have not worked. Now my official job is surviving and taking care of the kids (my son is 16, my daughter is almost 15 and my baby is a Bernese Mountain dog). I now spend my time going to the oncology center, cleaning and cooking, reading, surfing the net, painting glass, support groups, Reiki and I just started drawing again.
Adriomycin Cytoxin Taxol
Tamoxifen 4 1/2 yrs
Radiation - 32 x
Metastatic BC lung/liver 10/04
thorocentesis 2x - pleurodesis
Herceptin Taxatiere Carbo
Femera/Lupron
BC NED 4/05
chemo induced Acute Myeloid Leukemia 5/06
Induction/consolidation chemo
bone marrow transplant - 11/3/06
Severe Host vs Graft Disease of liver
BC mets to lung 11/07
Fasoladex Herceptin Zometa Xeloda
GVHD/Iron overload to liver
Avascular Necrosis/morphine pump 10/10
metastatic brain tumor
steriotactic radiosurgery
madubois63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #56
Joe
Webmaster

Man behind the Scene

I have been married for 23 years to Christine, the founder of this group. We will be celebrating our 23rd anniversary at ASCO in June.

I have degrees from Rutger's Universary and Fairleigh Dickenson Universary and was attending graduate school at William Paterson Universary when Christine had a recurrence in 1999. I also received training at the DeVry Institute in electronics. I am currently a Senior Field Engineer for a defense contractor in San Diego which allows me to travel throughout California.

We had already decided to move to California and had our home sold when Christine had an attack of Vertigo. She was DX'ed with mets to the chest and brain. She left for CA on July 5, 1999 with my youngest daughter, Danielle, in order to start treatment in San Diego.

I stayed behind with my oldest daughter, Debra, to pack our belongings and complete the sale of our home.

Christine's disease and this website has been a truly eye opening experience. Not only has my knowledge of breast cancer increased, but I have met many of the prominant cancer researchers. Most importantly, many of you are like family to both me and Christine.

Two of my most favorite quotes:

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "Wow! What a ride!" - Anon

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #57
Unregistered

Hi- I left my job as a Music Teacher last February when I discovered lymphedema in my arm.It was then that I finally had time to be checked and the recurrence was discovered. My heart goes out to anyone who needs to continue working while they are battling the disease, as I find it is a full time job.My husband is in real estate. I have two children- a girl and a boy, ages 20 and 16.I have a new baby grandson, one month old who is so sweet and beautiful. I love to laugh and I spend much of my time looking for the biggest laugh I can find.I also like writing poems and reading spiritual books."The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas a'Kempis is one of my favorites. Also, the writings of St.Thomas Aquinas,St. Alphonsus Liguori,and my absolute favorite, St. Francis de Sales. One of my favorite quotes from him is;
"Love Heavenly desires, and desire Heavenly love." ; St. Francis de Sales always tried to set aside an hour a day for prayer, except when he was extremely busy- then he set aside two. He said we must give God first claim on our time, interiorly if not always exteriorly.
Cancer ultimately has been a gift to me. Before the diagnosis, I did not appreciate the great gift of this precious life and how to joyfully embrace every single second and thank God for it. Now, with one foot in eternity, I praise and thank my Creator with every breath He gives me and I pray that I may help draw others closer to Him as they learn of His infinite love for them.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:41 PM   #58
Chelee

Smile

I worked for years at Beckman Instruments doing all kinds of different jobs. Great place to work. Then worked at a local newspaper for years and enjoyed that. Then became disabled due to a congenital back problem at age 30.
I stepped into a pre-made family when I met my hubby back when working at Beckman and rasied two wonderful step-kids that I love dearly. They are everything to me. They are now grown and out on there own...but they stay in touch and I see then often. I also have four wonderful grandchildern that are all the light of my life.

I have been married 26 years and going strong. My husband has been a awesome support system to me since my cancer diagnoses. He takes me to ALL my treatments and doctors appointments. He changed his work schedule so that he could be with me all the time. He has been fantastic. Without him I don't know if I could of made it this far.

As far as hobbies and things I enjoy...I love swimming, playing pool, taking pictures, bicycle riding, walks on the beach, boating and fishing, camping. I haven't been able to do much since my diagnoses...but I sure have plans to once I get through my treatment if all goes well.

I love animals and have ALWAYS had them in my life. I can't imagine life without them. Unfortunely I just had to put my kitty cat of 17 years to sleep due to a serious kidney problem. But I still have a turner & hooch dog and a toy poodle. They are girl friend and boyfriend. Quite the pair. lol

So for now...I am just focused on beating my cancer and doing all I can to get better. I guess for now I am a homemaker and do what I can when I feel well enough through my chemo treatments.

I am so thankful to have found this board and all the awesome people that I have met here. Its by far the best board I have found. I have learned so much and everyone is so helpful. God Bless everyone.

Chelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #59
Unregistered

Sorry- I didn't sign my name to my previous post- CathyW
Old 03-17-2006, 07:32 PM   #60
MCS

Smile

Oh what a wonderful idea this was.

There's so much to each and everyone of us and our caregivers! You are such a great group of people - you are my information and inspiration

Could we place this in a special place?

Ok here's me

I was a cash manager at a very large Los Angeles entertainment company. I am an accountant and have an MBA in Finance. I used to love my job but was working 10-12 hours a day for the past three years, plus weekends and vacations, oh yeah- I think the stress here triggered my BC. I was 49 when dx in July 2005.
I did lose my job in a department re structure this January. where did the 10 hours go?

I am married, almost 25 years. My sweetie Paul is an engineer. Have two daughters Megan (21) lives at home and is in college, a psychology major, I tell her I am her first case! Youngest daughter is Kirsten (18) and graduating from high school this year, she's a handful.

Right now, I'm home. Trying to beat this thing. Enjoying all the family life I did not have for the last three years. I like to knit and sew. All crafts really. Love to cook. Hopefully this Summer I will be able to work in my yard. Would like to back to work but we'll see

I sign on as MCS, my initials. chose this because there are so many Maria out there

Blessed all of you.

MCS (Maria)
MCS is offline   Reply With Quote