HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 06-27-2010, 04:32 AM   #21
jhandley

Smile Re: I had a break after 4 years

Hi
My advice would be to have no more than a short break for up to 3 months and then go back on it. I went off it after 4 years and 8 months later tumours came back in the liver. I am just about back in remission after 3 tx of abraxane and herceptin, and will stay on it now indefinately.
Jackie (down under)
jhandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
udith3

Smile Re: 3 years + on Herceptin, Why

14 years and counting for me~~~
udith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:16 PM   #23
fentonlady

Re: 3 years + on Herceptin, Why

Hi udith3
Great news and so inspiring. I am coming up for my annual scan so lovely to hear about your story. I am now over 8 years on herceptin and have just booked to visit San Francisco (I live in Scotland) so looking forward to it but of course travelling to USA is a problem as I have no health cover on travel insurance for breast cancer & another long term condition I have. I have decided to go for it - life too short. Thank you for posting
fentonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #24
vonny

WOW Thank you for posting this, I could read these posts all night long. They give me so much hope! Thank you, Thank you!
My daughter has just finished her last chemo session Docetaxel (Taxotere®) She is Stage IV with mets to her spine. We have been told that she will be on Herceptin along with Zemeta indefinitely every 3 weeks. I have read some on Herceptin but it so fills me with joy when I read about the amazing people here that are still going strong after so many years.
I do have a question though. My daughter is only 22 years old, she is hoping and praying that one day she will be able to have her own children, however first her periods need to start again after the effects of the chemo and secondly will she ever be able to be off Herceptin long enough to carry a child?
Any information would be very much appreciated
vonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #25
Lori R

Vonny,
I have a friend whose 27 year old daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer. I believe she located a very specialized oncologist who focuses on fertility issues with young breast cancer survivors.

I believe this Oncologist has offered up hope for a future with children. But...I encourage you to seek out someone with this specialized area of study. They are out there!!

BTW...my friend's daughter lives in Dallas, Texas if you would like further information.

Lori
Node + 2/14 - Single Liver Met
Double Mastectomy
Nov - Begin T+H
Feb-Complete 6 cycles- T&H- NED
March - Continue - Herceptin Only
April - Rads for 6 weeks
Continue Herceptin - Continue NED
April - Recurrance- 3 cm. Liver Met
May - Cryosurgery
June - November - Abraxane + Herceptin
Aug - PET/CT - CTC = 0 Back to NED
January - Continue NED
July - Recurrance - 3 cm Liver Met CTC=1
August - Cryosurgery #2
August - November Navelbine
November - Back to NED - End Navelbine
Feb - Recur - 4 cm Liver Met - Same Left Lobe
March Surgery it is -Couldn't get a clean margin
July - Confirmed continued liver involvement
August - Begin Herceptin + Tykerb
October - Mixed results from H+T
Add Abraxane + H + T - Nov - April
January PET Scan - It's working!!
April - Back to NED
July - Recurrance
August - Begin TDM-1 Trial (Taxol + TDM-1)
Lori R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #26
vonny

Thank you Lori, we live in the UK so not sure that is available but I will look into it. I think mine and indeed Lorna's concern is that she has secondary and was told she will always be on Herceptin, I just wondered that if her periods do return will there ever be a time in her life when she will be able to be off Herceptin long enough to carry a child?
vonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #27
pwiswell

I was given Herceptin weekly for over three years. Recently, my body became immune to it and my cancer counts started going back up and my Onc. took me off Herceptin and put me on Tykerb and Xeloda. At some point, he will continue Herceptin again. Perhaps after i have taken Xeloda for awhile. I don't know how long he plans to keep me on these two drugs. I'm only on my second course.
pwiswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #28
frankp
Banned

You might consider monitoring your serum HER2. Not much published regarding value in your situation, but may be helpful. Take a look at www.hertestonline.com
frankp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:03 PM   #29
Dakini52

Hope someone here can answer my question. I had a local recurrence 3 years ago; had surgery and radiation and have now been on Herceptin for 3 years. My oncologist says I will be on it forever and I'm confused as to the benefit since the recurrence was local not metastatic.
Dakini52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #30
DianaMK

Although I am stage 4, I think a local reoccurence is a "red flag". Did you have herceptin the first time? I have read a number of posts of women who have stopped herceptin and had a reoccurence within a year. As long as your E.F. is within the normal range, as my oncologist said, lets not mess with success and continue on herceptin.
DianaMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #31
jmihay

I had double mastectomy in 1986. No followup was done then. Early in 2001
I was diagnosed with Stage 4 metastasis. Had one round of chemo and was then started on Herceptin. So this will be my 12th year on it. I had brain tumor in 2009. Zapped with gamma knife. Take MRIs since then. Will cut back to 6mo instead of 3 on them this year.
PET Scan each year. MRIs have all been NED (no evidence of disease) and PETs have been NED for the last 2 years. Lucky me. Developed lymphedema in 2006 from having someone surprising me by taking blood pressure in both arms. (I was distracted by talking to to the cardiologist at the time.) Last Oct. I talked to Oncologist about quiting. (I was the first patient he gave Herceptin to in 2001. He was saying I could stop if I wanted to. I said, "If it went from my body to my brain, what is keeping it from going from my brain to my body? (Should be noted I have NEVER had a marker in all these years so how would I know of recurrence?) He said, "I knew you'd say that" and I continue with my herceptin infusions every three weeks. I see from these many posts that there does not seem to be a consistent answer to the "when to quit" quandry.
jmihay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:53 PM   #32
iluv2scrub

Question Re: 3 years + on Herceptin, Why

So hi, I am brand new to the site. I did not know herceptin goes on and on...I am new to all this...my Dx was 1/22/13 with lumpectomy& SNB 2/1/13. I had CAT Scan, bone scan and MUGA. I receive my port tomorrow and first of 6 treatments of TC-H the day after tomorrow. I was Her 2+++ stage IIa grade 3 invasive ductal carcinoma 3.5 cm an an additional 1.5 cm DCIS. I was told berceptin was for a year...why more?? Today my Onc called to say I need an ultrasound of my pelvis because CAT scan shows something that looks like a cyst but they can't tell. Should I worry?? I am 54 (on Sunday) and went through menapause as all this lump in my breast stuff started last May. Lump first Dx in June as a cyst but in December had grown so January FNA showed IDC. I had negative SNodes so this thing on my ovary should be nothing, right?
iluv2scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #33
Jackie07

Hi iluv2scrub,

Herceptin is usually given for a year. Some patients (myself included) stopped early because of heart issues, while others (such as most stage IV patients) stay on it as long as it is needed.

When I was told to have an ultrasound after a CT scan of the abdominal area (mainly the liver) in 2009, I was sure they had found 'something'. Turned out it was to confirm the diagnosis of hepatic hemangioma - a benign cluster of blood vessels in the liver and is usually fueled by estrogen.

It's pretty hard not to panic when we are called back to have more tests done - especially at the beginning of our cancer journey. I remember all the tears I'd shed in the waiting room, all the 'SOS' I mailed/e-mailed home... But my 10th anniversary is coming in less than 4 months ...

Hang in there. Ask any questions - someone will find the answer for you. And yes, there's always an explanation for whatever we are going through!

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 02-19-2013 at 08:21 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote