HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
Nguyen

? counteract hand-foot syndhrome from Xeloda

Hello,

Does anyone happen to know of someway to counteract/minimize the thin skin (or blister) side effect of Xeloda (Capecitabine)?

Thanks,

Nguyen
Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
valleygirl

Re: ? counteract hand-foot syndhrome from Xeloda

I don't have the blisters, but my feet burn horribly. I follow a facebook page for people who are currently on Xeloda and they recommend Eucerin, coconut oil and Aquaphor.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
Unclaimed

Hello,
When I was on Xeloda the skin on my hands and feet turned a dark purple! I used to tell people, "My skin is a color of skin that skin doesn't come in". They looked at me funny until I showed them. Then they'd say" wow, burgundy" or "magenta?". I used the lotions already mentioned, eurcercin, aquafor, lots of coconut oil. I also used O'Keeffe's Working Hands. You can get it at Home Depot, usually in the paint section. It's less greasy than the others. Good luck! I remember well how annoying the peeling was...
December 2017: treatment by homeopathic physician
January 24 2018: lumps in neck (supraclavical nodes)
January 31, 2018: first appointment with Medical Oncologist
February 1, 2018: first scan, found Mets in bones, possibly liver but inconclusive since I refused dye injection
February 2, 2018: follow up with MO for scan results, he had samples of Capecitabine and advised to take 4 pills every 12 hours for 7 days. Ordered HER2 test which had not been completed on my sample at time of biopsy in November, convinced me to meet with Radiologist, tumor was very large and grown into skin, agreed to try radiation
February 8, 2018: first radiology appointment and first Xgeva
February 9, 2018: follow up with MO, results are back from pathology and my sample is HER2-positive, MO wants me to do this infusion "antibodies" thing...look, I just got my head around radiation, now you want IV stuff????
Febuary 15, 2018: first radiation treatment, cried like a baby
March 1, 2018: first Herceptin infusion, cried uncontrollably
March 2, 2018: radiation treatment halted due to extensive skin damage after just 12 treatments
March 21, 2018: applied to John Hopkins for lymphedema vein bypass surgery
March 22, 2018: second Herceptin infusion, social worker made referral to Physical Therapy for me for lymphedema treatment
March 26, 2018: had assessment for lymphedema and follow up with MO, physical therapist made MO sign waiver because of my active cancer status, MO wants me to add Perjeta to my next infusion...really, more stuff..
April 2, 2018: first lymph drainage massage treatment
April 5, 2018: follow up with Radiologist, skin healed well enough to wear a sports bra...woohoo...not resuming radiation
April 20, 2018: heavy bandages applied to left arm to reduce lymphedema swelling
May 3, 2018: first Perjeta infusion, now on H & P, and Capecitabine, and Xgeva every 3 months
May 30, 2018: first PET scan, came back NEAD
June 15, 2018 discontinue Capecitabine since NEAD
July 31, 2018 Johns Hopkins Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery for consult for Vein Bypass Surgery for lymphedema, surgeon determined I am good candidate and surgery scheduled for October 5th...
October 5, 2018: Lymphaticovenous Anastomosis at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Surgery was poorly done and failed miserably, the swelling is worst than before surgery.
Unclaimed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:26 PM   #4
tricia keegan

Take a look online for a cream called Udderly Smooth, if you apply at night and put on gloves and socks it should help! I know it's helped many others in the past dealing with this issue.
Rads x 36 ..oophorectomy August '06
Currently taking Arimidex..
June 2011 osteopenia/ zometa x1 yearly- stopped Zometa 2015 as Dexa show normal bone density.
Stopped Arimidex July 2014- Restarted Arimidex 2015 for a further two years on the advice of my Onc.
2014 Normal Dexa scan
2018 Mammo all clear, still NED!
tricia keegan is offline   Reply With Quote