HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-05-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
1rarebird

Metformin: Taking away the candy for cancer?

We've been discussing sugars and their roles in promoting breast cancer. Here is a possible drug that could help in that regard.

http://www.peerview-institute.org/ne..._uids=20656475

Eur J Cancer. 2010 Jul 23. [Epub ahead of print]
Metformin: Taking away the candy for cancer?

Jalving M, Gietema JA, Lefrandt JD, Jong SD, Reyners AK, Gans RO, Vries EG.
Department of Medical Oncology, University Medical Centre Groningen, The Netherlands; Department of Internal Medicine, University Medical Centre Groningen, The Netherlands.
Abstract

Metformin is widely used in the treatment of diabetes mellitus type 2 where it reduces insulin resistance and diabetes-related morbidity and mortality. Population-based studies show that metformin treatment is associated with a dose-dependent reduction in cancer risk. The metformin treatment also increases complete pathological tumour response rates following neoadjuvant chemotherapy for breast cancer, suggesting a potential role as an anti-cancer drug. Diabetes mellitus type 2 is associated with insulin resistance, elevated insulin levels and an increased risk of cancer and cancer-related mortality. This increased risk may be explained by activation of the insulin- and insulin-like growth factor (IGF) signalling pathways and increased signalling through the oestrogen receptor. Reversal of these processes through reduction of insulin resistance by the oral anti-diabetic drug metformin is an attractive anti-cancer strategy. Metformin is an activator of AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) which inhibits protein synthesis and gluconeogenesis during cellular stress. The main downstream effect of AMPK activation is the inhibition of mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR), a downstream effector of growth factor signalling. mTOR is frequently activated in malignant cells and is associated with resistance to anticancer drugs. Furthermore, metformin can induce cell cycle arrest and apoptosis and can reduce growth factor signalling. This review discusses the role of diabetes mellitus type 2 and insulin resistance in carcinogenesis, the preclinical rationale and potential mechanisms of metformin's anti-cancer effect and the current and future clinical developments of metformin as a novel anti-cancer drug.

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Jackie07

Re: Metformin: Taking away the candy for cancer?

I wondered if a retroactive study can be done to see if diabetes patients who take metformin have lower [breast] cancer rate.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe

Last edited by Jackie07; 08-05-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #3
ElaineM

Wink Re: Metformin: Taking away the candy for cancer?

Interesting concept !!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48247
Lucky 13 !! I hope so !!!!!!
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=52807
14 Year Survivor
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57053
"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have." author unknown
Shared by a multiple myeloma survivor.
ElaineM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Rich66

More on Metformin:
http://her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39740

Mom's treatment history (link)
Rich66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
1rarebird

As the link Rich provided to the thread last year on Metformin indicates, this drug and its effect on insulin and probably insulin-like growth factor and the ER has not just recently been considered by some researchers as a promising therapeutic for breast cancer. Trials in Canada are recruiting at present to learn more about this possibility.

Given the well known and moderately mild side effects profile that Metformin has exhibited during its long history of clinical use to treat diabetes, I wonder if there are any oncologists using it at present in off-label fashion with their breast cancer patients. It would seem to me that the risks are low and the benefit potential is high---well, at least as high as the known benefits of other drugs like Tamoxifen which show ER control in the range of 40 to 50% which is in the same ballpark of benefit demonstrated in the retrospective studies on Metformin.

bird
Male Breast Cancer, DX 5/15/09, IDC, STAGE 1, 1.7 cm, HER2+++, ER+(95%)/PR+(75%), Ki67 40%, grade 3, 0/5 nodes, TX: mastectomy, TCH finished 7/19/10, radiation 6 wks., Tamoxifen on going, bisphosphonate 24 mos.
1rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:04 AM   #6
Rich66

Mom's getting it off-label, extended release tab. I know there's one other poster here who started it for diabetic-like reasons but continues off-label.
The thing I have to find out is what makes sense regarding PET scans. It's been historically contraindicated because it has been thought to interfere with cancer's metabolism of the injected glucose. But...that's part of why it is thought to be helpful. So..one would want to see that it's working, right?

Old 08-07-2010, 08:20 AM   #7
jml

I am on Metformin, prescribed originally for Insulin Resistance after my 1st year of treatment, when I was experiencing symptoms. Those have all resolved, though I continue on Metformin off label.
My onc used to question whether or not I should continue on it, but in light of the most recent research re: Metformin & BC, she supports my continued us.
Also, it's very important that anyone taking Metformin d/c use 36 hrs before and after ANY scans - PET or CT. I've even noticed that they're now asking patients to sign a form consenting NOT to used there meds within this range of time. My understanding is the the combo of the contrast & drug is very hard on kidneys.
I wonder how many oncs out there would be willing to start their onc patients on Metformin off-label. It's still such a new concept. From my own experience I'm constantly explaining to folks that I'm NOT diabetic, but WAS insulin resistant, but NOW take the drug for BC...most people just glaze over when I start to explain.
I do feel fortunate to have access to the drug.
jml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #8
AlaskaAngel

Last September in the nutrition forum I was interested in metformin also as a way of dealing with insulin resistance:

http://her2support.org/vbulletin/sho...10395#poststop

Other than breast cancer I have no other health problems, but what seems to be insulin resistance developed for me as a result of breast cancer treatment.

The two largest groups of breast cancer patients are the early stage breast cancer group, and the group over 50 years of age (mostly composed of the same patients). I've raised the question about whether applying current therapies for hormone receptor positive, early stage breast cancer patients who are least at risk for recurrence may actually be resulting in a greater net risk for recurrence through weight gain by insulin resistance.

It would be very helpful if metformin does have some general additional usefulness in preventing recurrence.

I saw an endocrinologist and asked about metformin in February, and the endocrinologist is willing to consider it. At present I am dieting and exercising and keeping a diary, and am planning to bring that information to my next appointment for further discussion about possible use of metformin.

I would like to have a better understanding of the action of metformin and metabolism.

A.A.
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
AlaskaAngel

Actively recruiting clinical trial for use of metformin for early stage bc:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...tformin&rank=2

This is for those diagnosed who have undergone definitive surgical treatment within the past 12 months. (see additional requirements also)
IDC 1.9 cm, some DCIS, Stage 1, Grade 3
Lumpectomy, CAFx6 (no blood boosters), IMRT rads, 1 3/4 yr tamoxifen
Rads necrosis
BRCA 1 & 2 negative
Trials: Early detection OVCA; 2004 low-dose testosterone for bc survivors
Diet: Primarily vegetarian organic; metformin (no diabetes), vitamin D3
Exercise: 7 days a week, 1 hr/day
No trastuzumab, no taxane, no AI
NED
AlaskaAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:25 PM   #10
Rich66

Since my mom is thought to be allergic to contrast, she gets PET/CT w/o contrast. In which case, it seems like the suggestion is to not take Metformin the morning of the PET.

LINK

Persons with diabetes who are taking metformin
(some of the brand names include Glucophage®, Glucovance®, or Metaglip®) must STOP the medication on the day of the exam and 48 hours after receiving intravenous contrast. The combination of the drug with the contrast material that is used for CT scans could cause serious side effects. Be certain to discuss this with your physician.

LINK

Oral Hypoglycemic Agents

• The day before the PET scan Take your usual oral hypoglycemic agents and eat regular meals the day before the PET scan.
  • Fast for 12 hours.
  • On the morning of the PET scan Do not take your oral hypoglycemic agents.
After the PET scan is done For Metformin (Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Fortamet, Glumetza, Riomet): The PET scan technologist will tell you how and when to resume taking Metformin after the PET scan. If a contrast CT scan is done, do not take Metformin for 48 hours and do not resume taking it before your renal function has been tested and shown to be normal. You will receive instructions about this on the day of your scan.
For oral hypoglycemic agents other than Metformin (see above for brand names): Take your usual oral diabetes medicines with lunch. After this, return to your usual doses.