HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > her2group
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #1
katsc49

UTIS and Taxol

Hello, all,
I just started Taxol 2 weeks ago and last week noticed some burning like a UTI,. I passed this info on o my onco, but this week have had pain like a UTI. Is it common for Taxol to cause uti symptoms, when drinking certain drinks? I can drink juiices with no problems but anything carbonated causes problems.
Thanks,
kathy
katsc49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
mts

Any chemo drug will likely give a side effect... I think that many of us going through (or having been through) chemo are much more aware of our bodies and somewhat hypersensitized to anything that may not be normal. I blamed my chemo for anything that was not there before cancer...Thats not to say that your symptoms are not worrisome. Just that the UTI was already going to happen anyway and maybe the Taxol just exacerbated it. Your body defenses are low during chemo. Call the chemo nurse and see if you get a response in the right direction and if not check with your GYN...
With everything you are going through, a UTI is certainly the last thing on your wish list...
I probably did not answer your question, but I would not halt the benefits of the Taxol if I could help it !

maria
mts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:10 AM   #3
hutchibk

For me, each time I was on Taxol, I had UTI problems... eventually, we discovered that disciplined use of estrace cream was the key to keeping them at bay so that I would not have to keep taking antibiotics every month...

NOV 2012 - 9 yr anniversary
JULY 2012 - 7 yr anniversary stage IV (of 50...)

Nov'03~ dX stage 2B
Dec'03~
Rt side mastectomy, Her2+, ER/PR+, 10 nodes out, one node positive
Jan'04~
Taxotere/Adria/Cytoxan x 6, NED, no Rads, Tamox. 1 year, Arimadex 3 mo., NED 14 mo.
Sept'05~
micro mets lungs/chest nodes/underarm node, Switched to Aromasin, T/C/H x 7, NED 6 months - Herceptin only
Aug'06~
micro mets chest nodes, & bone spot @ C3 neck, Added Taxol to Herceptin
Feb'07~ Genetic testing, BRCA 1&2 neg

Apr'07~
MRI - two 9mm brain mets & 5 punctates, new left chest met, & small increase of bone spot C3 neck, Stopped Aromasin
May'07~
Started Tykerb/Xeloda, no WBR for now
June'07~
MRI - stable brain mets, no new mets, 9mm spots less enhanced, CA15.3 down 45.5 to 9.3 in 10 wks, Ty/Xel working magic!
Aug'07~
MRI - brain mets shrunk half, NO NEW BRAIN METS!!, TMs stable @ 9.2
Oct'07~
PET/CT & MRI show NED
Apr'08~
scans still show NED in the head, small bone spot on right iliac crest (rear pelvic bone)
Sept'08~
MRI shows activity in brain mets, completed 5 fractions/5 consecutive days of IMRT to zap the pesky buggers
Oct'08~
dropped Xeloda, switched to tri-weekly Herceptin in combo with Tykerb, extend to tri-monthly Zometa infusion
Dec'08~
Brain MRI- 4 spots reduced to punctate size, large spot shrunk by 3mm, CT of torso clear/pelvis spot stable
June'09~
new 3-4mm left cerrebellar spot zapped with IMRT targeted rads
Sept'09~
new 6mm & 1 cm spots in pituitary/optic chiasm area. Rx= 25 days of 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the tumors.
Oct'09~
25 days of low dose 3D conformal fractionated targeted IMRT to the bone mets spot on rt. iliac crest that have been watching for 2 years. Added daily Aromasin back into treatment regimen.
Apr'10~ Brain MRI clear! But, see new small spot on adrenal gland. Change from Aromasin back to Tamoxifen.
June'10~ Tumor markers (CA15.3) dropped from 37 to 23 after one month on Tamoxifen. Continue to monitor adrenal gland spot. Remain on Tykerb/Herceptin/Tamoxifen.
Nov'10~ Radiate positive mediastinal node that was pressing on recurrent laryngeal nerve, causing paralyzed larynx and a funny voice.
Jan'11~ MRI shows possible activity or perhaps just scar tissue/necrotic increase on 3 previously treated brain spots and a pituitary spot. 5 days of IMRT on 4 spots.
Feb'11~ Enrolled in T-DM1 EAP in Denver, first treatment March 25, 2011.
Mar'11~ Finally started T-DM1 EAP in Denver at Rocky Mountain Cancer Center/Rose on Mar. 25... hallelujah.

"I would rather be anecdotally alive than statistically dead."
hutchibk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
dlaxague

Urinary stuff but not infection

Hi,

I'd forgotten until I read your post that I had an odd thing going on during Taxol. I don't think I ever mentioned it (not to peers nor MD's) - just chalked it up to one more weird side effect. When I peeed (hmm how do you spell pee-ed, it can't have three "e's" in a row?). Voided. Whatever. When I did that, it came out very slowly no matter how much was in there, and towards the end it would stop and start, stop and start. Sometimes there'd be a sort of burning/cramping sensation also toward the end. I have never (knock wood) had a UTI. I always tried to stay really hydrated during chemo because other side effects seemed better if I did and I remember sometimes during Taxol thinking that I was sure wasting a lot of time in that bathroom waiting to empty my bladder.

Anyone else have this slow-pee side effect?

Kathy, did your onc want to check your urine to make sure you don't have a true UTI happening? Your counts could be low and making you more susceptible.

Debbie Laxague
dlaxague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
Bill

Nicola had UTI symptoms while on Taxol. At that time she drank, water, juices and Diet Coke daily. After she was off the Taxol, the UTI symptoms went away. Her urologist had her on Detrol LA. which helped.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
Rendi69CA

I experience a uti when I started taxol. I end up in the er and getting antibotic. I drink cranberry before, day of, and after chemo. It help me a lot and along with plenty of water.
11/97- 36 radiation therapy.
01/98- NED; tamoxifen.
02/02- breast reconstruction.
08/04- recurrence; mets to rt lung; thoracentesis; femara.
09/04- thoracentesis; ER/PR +, Her2+++.
10/04- total abdominal hysterectomy.
02/06- mets to 9th rib; monthly zometa; arimidex.
06/06- medi port insert; weekly herceptin.
10/06- 3 weeks herceptin treatment.
02/07- mets to liver; arimidex
11/07-liver clear
02/08-chemo taxol/herceptin weekly treatment
12/08-taxol not working
01/09-navelbine/herceptin weelky
03/09-navelbine not working
04/09-xeloda/tykerb
09/09-30 radation to neck; xeloda/tykerb not working
11/09-Gemzar/herceptin weekly
04/10-tykerb/herceptin weekly
06/10-cancer spread to left lung;stop treatment; tap