HonCode

Go Back   HER2 Support Group Forums > Herceptin / Tykerb
Register Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Herceptin / Tykerb Share your experiences or ask questions about Herceptin or Tykerb

Old 04-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
2KidMom

Question Herceptin for only 3 months?

Hi everyone - I am new to the site and I tried to see if this had been discussed but did not find anything....my onc is considering stopping my Herceptin treatment at 3 months based on the Finland study. I just had my mast and the pathology showed that the chemo wiped out some other suspicious areas that showed up on the MRI after my lumpectomy so he feels confident that if there were any other cells floating around the chemo got them. My MUGA results have been fine so he says he doesn't want to cause any damage or give me more treatment than what is necessary.....I would be totally fine with his decision EXCEPT that I still worry about my Oncotype score coming back 80....

Please let me know if any of your oncs have suggested only 3 months of treatment for early stage...thanks in advance! Jan
BRCA1 & 2 Negative - waiting on results for BART and Cowden's Syndrome
Bi-lat was sched. for 11/6
Onc. changed plans based on Oncotype results
4 AC , 4 TX, 1 yr. Herceptin, 5 yr. Tamox AC started 11/01/07 DONE!
Taxol started 12/27/07 - 2/7/08 DONE YEAH!!

Bi-lat mast. with expanders March 25th - no new cancer found...YEAH
Married 15 years
Two great kids 13 yr. old son, 4 yr. old daughter
2KidMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #2
Becky

You are young and stopping Herceptin at 3 months is not proven nor is the FinHer trial. Standard of care in the USA, Europe and Australia is one full year. There is a trial that will test if 6 months is as good as a year. In my opinion it will be but until then, one year is standard. Discuss this fact with your oncologist. They seem to love trials in general and there are 8 worldwide on one year of Herceptin and only one trial (FinHer) on 9 weeks (with a very,very small trial population).

Becky

Found lump via BSE
Diagnosed 8/04 at age 45
1.9cm tumor, ER+PR-, Her2 3+(rt side)
2 micromets to sentinel node
Stage 2A
left 3mm DCIS - low grade ER+PR+Her2 neg
lumpectomies 9/7/04
4DD AC followed by 4 DD taxol
Used Leukine instead of Neulasta
35 rads on right side only
4/05 started Tamoxifen
Started Herceptin 4 months after last Taxol due to
trial results and 2005 ASCO meeting & recommendations
Oophorectomy 8/05
Started Arimidex 9/05
Finished Herceptin (16 months) 9/06
Arimidex Only
Prolia every 6 months for osteopenia

NED 18 years!

Said Christopher Robin to Pooh: "You must remember this: You're braver than you believe and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think"
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
2KidMom

Thanks Becky...I am sure we will have lots to discuss at my next appt...I have been doing my research!!

Married 15 years
Old 04-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
Lani

the Fin Her trial

also used an entirely different set of chemotherapy drugs

Drs. Slamon and Piccart are reexamining the results of the North American and HERA adjuvant herceptin clinical trials focusing on those patients who had to stop herceptin early due to decreases in LVEF (heart function) in order to see if that data can be utilized to determine if those having shorter courses did just as well or not . At AACR I learned that the investigation is ongoing, hopefully with results soon.

It is generally accepted that it is considered immoral to have trials where they give patients less than the treatment they know to be beneficial--which one year of herceptin truly is-- (which is why trials normally are designed to give the standard of care treatment PLUS something they think might make it even better)
Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
sdhaem

Angry herceptin

I was taken off herceptin after 18 treatments. i do worry but it did heart damage... I keep hoping that I had enough to keep cancer from coming back
sdhaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
RobinP

Wink

Hi there,

I wish researchers had gone back sooner and done more studies to see if less Herceptin is better. The Finnish study certainly does point to that. Anyway, at least Dr. Piccart and Dr. Salmon are going to have their results back soon...you may want to check into that and contact these people.

I did 9 weeks of Herceptin late as that was the only thing recommended to me, not the year due to doing late Herceptin. Well, I'm still alive six years out. I had a similar dx. with 4mm of her2+ invasive and 5cm of DCIS, ERPR-, but I had a positive sentinel node for micromets. No, the standard of care is not 9 weeks, as the studies were not large enough in the Finnish study to convince the oncology society that their results were better than the larger one year studies. Did the Finnish study have statistical significance? Yes, as the study included more than 120 patients. And I might add that their results were as effective as one year of Herceptin. There is higher cardiac risk with Herceptin for one year as opposed to 9 weeks and that may just help you make a choice of what to do. If you think about it, that is probably why your physician is recommending less Herceptin because of the cost benefit ratio, where you MAY have less of a relapse risk due to the small size of your invasive, particularly if it is truly ERPR+, which has less relapse risk than ERPR-.Good luck in your decision. Get many second opinions, do your homework, and go with what your heart tells you to do.

PS. I might also add to follow some of the her2 diet recommendations that RB has posted to help prevent a relapse. Every little bit helps.

Smile,
Robin

PS. Take a look at the HERA study to see what your relapse risk is for such a small her2+ invasive.

Last edited by RobinP; 04-17-2008 at 06:37 AM..
RobinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
2KidMom

Well, the debate is over for me...my MUGA actually improved this week so he says we will stay with the standard of 12 months....I'm relieved!!

Married 15 years
Old 05-01-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
Jackie07

That's great! Thanks for sharing your relieve.

NICU 4.4 LB
Erythema Nodosum 85
Life-long Central Neurocytoma 4x5x6.5 cm 23 hrs 62090 semi-coma 10 d PT OT ST 30 d
3 Infertility tmts 99 > 3 u. fibroids > Pills
CN 3 GKRS 52301
IDC 1.2 cm Her2 +++ ER 5% R. Lmptmy SLNB+1 71703 6 FEC 33 R Tamoxifen
Recc IIB 2.5 cm Bi-L Mast 61407 2/9 nds PET
6 TCH Cellulitis - Lymphedema - compression sleeve & glove
H w x 4 MUGA 51 D, J 49 M
Diastasis recti
Tamoxifen B. scan
Irrtbl bowel 1'09
Colonoscopy 313
BRCA1 V1247I
hptc hemangioma
Vertigo
GI - > yogurt
hysterectomy/oophorectomy 011410
Exemestane 25 mg tab 102912 ~ 101016 stopped due to r. hip/l.thigh pain after long walk
DEXA 1/13
1-2016 lesions in liver largest 9mm & 1.3 cm onco. says not cancer.
3-11 Appendectomy - visually O.K., a lot of puss. Final path result - not cancer.
Start Vitamin D3 and Calcium supplement (600mg x2)
10-10 Stopped Exemestane due to r. hip/l.thigh pain OKed by Onco 11-08-2016
7-23-2018 9 mm groundglass nodule within the right lower lobe with indolent behavior. Due to possible adenocarcinoma, Recommend annual surveilence.
7-10-2019 CT to check lung nodule.
1-10-2020 8mm stable nodule on R Lung, two 6mm new ones on L Lung, a possible lymph node involvement in inter fissule.
"I WANT TO BE AN OUTRAGEOUS OLD WOMAN WHO NEVER GETS CALLED AN OLD LADY. I WANT TO GET SHARP EDGED & EARTH COLORED, TILL I FADE AWAY FROM PURE JOY." Irene from Tampa

Advocacy is a passion .. not a pastime - Joe
Jackie07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 01:05 AM   #9
Ursula

Experiences from Finland - more than a trial

Hello everybody!

This is the thread that originally made me to join into this group. I wanted to share my experience and knowledge about this nine weeks treatment.

In Finland there are more than 4000 women who become diagnosed having breast cancer. One fifth of them is HER2-positive and receive Herceptin as their first line treatment. Encouraged by the FinHer study most Finnish cancer clinics have approved nine weeks treatment as their standard protocol. The results have been good and the mortality rates keep on diminishing. It is truly encouraging to me that I really know no-one whose disease has relapsed after nine weeks of Herceptin! The statistics tell about the same because overall survival rates of HER2-positive were nearly 90 % in the five year follow up of FinHer.

Naturally there are still Finnish oncologists who believe in the one year treatment. Only future and international research can tell which treatment is the best. At least we have found a very cost effective way to treat this serious disease.

Ursula

Diagnosed 05/07 at age 42
Ductal Invasive Carsinoma Gr III, Stage IIIB:
Primary tumor 35 mm, secondary 21 mm
Node positive 13/23
Er/Pr negative (15 % /15 %)
Her 2+++
Ki-67 80 %
Mastectomy and node evacuation (rt) 05/07
3 x Taxotere + Herceptin (9 weeks)
3 x CEF
6 x Neulasta during chemos
23 x rads
Celebra for joint and PMS pain
NED
Ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #10
RobinP

Wink

Ursula, thanks for chiming in on this topic and sharing your Finnland results, which are so encouraging! Herceptin is certainly a wonder drug with powerful results, even proving itself in a short course!
Old 07-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
westswon

Hi there. I too am stopping Herceptin at 21 weeks--ONC feels that the side effects are too present and that the Finnish study was a good one. Ursula's feedback helps me with this decision. My tumor was less than 1 cm... just finished radiation... so, onward and upward in healing from it all... westswon
westswon is offline   Reply With Quote